Your Morning Coffee Rodgers Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Your Morning Coffee Rodgers Discussion

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

So, that was interesting. Former Bear Leonard Floyd putting the guy in the ambulance tent. While we await generalized MRI results, congrats to NYJ for playing all three phases. Glad the sun is rising 9/12 in New York City. Funny how that happens.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Would hate if this is the career-ender for AR. He seemed to be enjoying life in his new setting, and the Packers seemed to move on at the right time.

What would be super awkward is if Wilson balls it out, and AR decides to come back next season... :munch: I'm glad that drama ain't here anymore.

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

Damn straight.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Yeah obviously I want a 1 instead of a 2 but I'm just more disappointed for Rodgers. Probably my favorite player of all time and also my fantasy QB for all of my leagues. Sucks because this was not Favre 2.0, there wasn't any malice and both sides knew that a change was needed, so it was a legitimate win-win. And now he couldn't even last 4 plays for them. And tbh if his achilles snapped on that play, it's probably indicative of a body that is too old for the NFL at this point. The point at which it snapped was sort of a routine position to be in.

Also let's be happy we're the Packers and not the Jets. They're truly cursed. And we might be on our 3rd great QB in a row.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

^^^YEEESH^^^

That's the best shot of the injury I've seen and it's pretty definitive. That sucker popped and it reverberated all the way up his calf.

Feel bad for Rodgers and the Jets fanbase. His departure from Green Bay was difficult albeit necessary and relatively amicable, and it seemed the best for all parties involved. The NFL is now a worse place with him sidelined despite the baggage he brings.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

salmar80 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 00:25
Would hate if this is the career-ender for AR. He seemed to be enjoying life in his new setting, and the Packers seemed to move on at the right time.

What would be super awkward is if Wilson balls it out, and AR decides to come back next season... :munch: I'm glad that drama ain't here anymore.
Everyone been saying it’s gunna be Kirk’s season in Minny.

Jefferson, Addison, Hockenson, at least appealing on that front.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

This might seem a bit F'd up to say but I was kind of in the boat of not cheering for him this year. He's still one of my all time favorites along with Favre, Reggie, and Woodson, but I just had no desire for him to win with another team.

But now since he's out for the season, I would actually give myself pulling for him if he indeed tries to comeback next year.

It'll be a tough decision for him too. That's an intense recovery for someone his age. But he'd be leaving 38mil on the table if he retires.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Acrobat wrote:
12 Sep 2023 06:51
This might seem a bit F'd up to say but I was kind of in the boat of not cheering for him this year. He's still one of my all time favorites along with Favre, Reggie, and Woodson, but I just had no desire for him to win with another team.

But now since he's out for the season, I would actually give myself pulling for him if he indeed tries to comeback next year.

It'll be a tough decision for him too. That's an intense recovery for someone his age. But he'd be leaving 38mil on the table if he retires.
But when you've got hundreds of millions already banked...not to mention a likely lucrative television career be it NFL or other just waiting for him, the money doesn't appear all that important.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

APB wrote:
12 Sep 2023 07:11
Acrobat wrote:
12 Sep 2023 06:51

But when you've got hundreds of millions already banked...not to mention a likely lucrative television career be it NFL or other just waiting for him, the money doesn't appear all that important.
Agreed. I think he'll still be ok financially. Haha

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

to bad for Rodgers, I was hoping he'd have a great season with the Jets.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

I was hoping he'd do reasonably well, not that they were going to win it all. But that injury at his age is probably not worth the effort of trying to come back from. Even if he makes it back, what's left in him at that point and will another injury be lurking around the corner? I could see him trying to fight though it and return next year. Good luck to him whatever he chooses.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm a selfish fan so I was hoping he sucked and played 65% of the snaps.

Absolutely don't want to see anyone suffer an achilles injury. My heart drops every time a major tendon injury occurs. It just sucks for the players and the league so much. I can't imagine he will play another snap. I mean he is a pocket quarterback so he probably could do it. But I don't know if he would want to.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah I was the biggest hater on PH-dot-com, and said before the season, I was actively hoping the season would be a bust for them.

But not like this. And tbh if I hated him so much that I was happy he got injured, I would just admit it. I mean, it would take like Deshaun Watson -type stuff for me to be at that point with a player, and it might still be considered a bad look, but I would own it.

No, this legit sucks, especially if it's a career-ender. Even I wanted to get a long look at the Jets with Rodgers and just see how it worked out, if only as a fan of the game, even if I wanted the result not to be favorable.

And yeah, if I were a Jets fan, my only conclusion would be that my team is truly just cursed. What terrible luck.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

My assumption is that the Jets are still good enough to win some games (like they did last night). I'm guessing anywhere from 6-9 wins, so we should have a decent 2nd round pick probably in the low 40's. The way I look at it, after last night, it's about the same as Rodgers retiring so we should be thankful that we're getting some compensation. I saw some tweets last night saying "everyone loses because of the injury". I disagree. That Packers clearly won as we're getting a 2nd round pick for a player who played 4 snaps this year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
12 Sep 2023 08:46
My assumption is that the Jets are still good enough to win some games (like they did last night). I'm guessing anywhere from 6-9 wins, so we should have a decent 2nd round pick probably in the low 40's. The way I look at it, after last night, it's about the same as Rodgers retiring so we should be thankful that we're getting some compensation. I saw some tweets last night saying "everyone loses because of the injury". I disagree. That Packers clearly won as we're getting a 2nd round pick for a player who played 4 snaps this year.
what? we basically got a 2 slot flip in this draft and a 2 next year, for a 4 time MVP first ballot HOF QB, the only thing we didn't get is a tube of petroleum jelly, we couldn't even recoup dead money, sorry, but we took a shellacking parting with Rodgers, the only thing worse now with hind site would have been keeping him

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm also going to drop this from the other thread in here
YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Sep 2023 21:34
Just to clarify: finding humor in something that has already happened and is beyond your control does not mean you don't have empathy or understand the humanity in it. Humor is just how some people reason with the world.
There are and will be a lot of jokes about this around the internet. Sure, many people are just selfish, empathy-less jerks. But lot of people just use humor to navigate the rhythms of life, for better or worse. I hope we're able to see the difference and stay calm about it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Acrobat wrote:
I saw some tweets last night saying "everyone loses because of the injury". I disagree. That Packers clearly won as we're getting a 2nd round pick for a player who played 4 snaps this year.
Certainly getting two 2nd round picks for a guy who ultimately didn’t play for his new team is a trade win on an objective baseline.

But on a baseline of “the trade has happened and there are a range of outcomes from this point forward,” This was definitely a lose-lose. Worst outcome for the player and both teams.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Sep 2023 08:59
Acrobat wrote:
I saw some tweets last night saying "everyone loses because of the injury". I disagree. That Packers clearly won as we're getting a 2nd round pick for a player who played 4 snaps this year.
Certainly getting two 2nd round picks for a guy who ultimately didn’t play for his new team is a trade win on an objective baseline.

But on a baseline of “the trade has happened and there are a range of outcomes from this point forward,” This was definitely a lose-lose. Worst outcome for the player and both teams.
That's what I'm saying. I wish we had gotten a lot more for him obviously. But trades are truly measured by the end result, and getting a couple of 2nd round picks for a guy that played 4 snaps is looking to be the end result, barring a miraculous comeback next year.

If we judged trades prior to the end result, then we would also be calling the Hershel Walker trade a win for the Vikings.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Acrobat wrote:
12 Sep 2023 09:28
YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Sep 2023 08:59
Acrobat wrote:

That's what I'm saying. I wish we had gotten a lot more for him obviously. But trades are truly measured by the end result, and getting a couple of 2nd round picks for a guy that played 4 snaps is looking to be the end result, barring a miraculous comeback next year.

If we judged trades prior to the end result, then we would also be calling the Hershel Walker trade a win for the Vikings.
100%. If we go by end result or in other words, use hindsight, it can't be selective. We can't harp on the fact that it is now a 2nd round pick, but ignore the fact that he only played 4 snaps. Getting what we did for someone that didn't make it through the first series of the season is a good return.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
12 Sep 2023 08:58
Acrobat wrote:
what? we basically got a 2 slot flip in this draft and a 2 next year, for a 4 time MVP first ballot HOF QB, the only thing we didn't get is a tube of petroleum jelly, we couldn't even recoup dead money, sorry, but we took a shellacking parting with Rodgers, the only thing worse now with hind site would have been keeping him
we got a two slot bump this year, a 2 this year, and a 2 next year for a guy who didn't want to play for us anymore, and who we were ready to move on from. dead money comes from salary we had already paid previously. If you pay it, you cap it. objectively speaking, the jets paid 2 2nds, moved back 2 slots (losing out on their likely OL target) and have 70 M guaranteed to a guy who is done for the year and might be done for good. I think you're widely missing who needs the jelly.