Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

With the 32nd and 33rd picks in the NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select....
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
12 Sep 2023 08:00
Huh. Freeing up some "just in case" money huh?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
Does this screw up our comp pick or do voided years still count as a free agent in the formula?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Sep 2023 08:37
paco wrote:
Does this screw up our comp pick or do voided years still count as a free agent in the formula?
I'm seeing both answers but the "no it doesn't impact it" outweighs the one guy on reddit who said it does.
image.png
image.png (127.8 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 15:23
Labrev wrote:
11 Sep 2023 15:01
Atlanta is a cupcake team and their crowd is a joke. I am content to sit Watson and get guys like Heath and Wicks more experience before we move onto more competitive opponents. Then again, I did put some money on Watson this season so let's not drag this out too long. :lol:
Funny thing to say about an undefeated team
If it sounds like I do not respect the Falcons, it is precisely because I do not. They are and always will be the FAILcons in my eyes until they do something for me to think otherwise. Recent history shows that betting against them is pretty sound and wise, so I shall continue to do so.

It's too early to know which teams are good or bad this year, but it's not too early to know that even in their best years and winning seasons, Falcons are still gonna FAILcon.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
12 Sep 2023 09:46
Drj820 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 15:23
Labrev wrote:
11 Sep 2023 15:01
Atlanta is a cupcake team and their crowd is a joke. I am content to sit Watson and get guys like Heath and Wicks more experience before we move onto more competitive opponents. Then again, I did put some money on Watson this season so let's not drag this out too long. :lol:
Funny thing to say about an undefeated team
If it sounds like I do not respect the Falcons, it is precisely because I do not. They are and always will be the FAILcons in my eyes until they do something for me to think otherwise. Recent history shows that betting against them is pretty sound and wise, so I shall continue to do so.

It's too early to know which teams are good or bad this year, but it's not too early to know that even in their best years and winning seasons, Falcons are still gonna FAILcon.
Yeah I think the Falcons had like 35 passing yards going into the 4th quarter vs Carolina.
Yoop wrote:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I think [mention]Pckfn23[/mention] brought a tweet about this, but here's an article with video clips. In short, the Packers are running a whole lot of stunts this year:

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-pac ... 215969946/
The Packers' new approach to rushing the passer is here, with the deepest bag of stunts you'll ever see.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
12 Sep 2023 11:44
I think @Pckfn23 brought a tweet about this, but here's an article with video clips. In short, the Packers are running a whole lot of stunts this year:

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-pac ... 215969946/
The Packers' new approach to rushing the passer is here, with the deepest bag of stunts you'll ever see.
It was awesome to watch, I think the impetus to so many stunts though is a reflection on the ability of Fields as a passer, or lack of it, we gave up coverage potential to make sure he had very little time to set up and read his progressions, and remain solid defending the run, it worked to perfection.

obviously we won't be able to do this as much against a better passing team, or a team with a more stout OL, but I like where Barry's heads at, bring the heat as much as possible. :clap:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Stunts are not blitzes and do not give up coverage to pressure the QB. From the article:
Briefly for those unfamiliar, stunts can take many different forms, but in general, they involve 2 pass rushers swapping their paths to the QB after the snap, with one defender ‘crashing’ into an offensive linemen, freeing up the other rusher to come ‘looping’ around the back with a clearer path to the quarterback.

These types of stunts can be ran regardless of the QB.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Do stunts have a higher probability of working when you are working with a talented front 7 that has a good combination of speed and power?

I just fee like we have the horses for it and our coaches know it. What is the downside to stunts? I was pretty surprised to see the number of stunts we ran vs the rest of the league and wonder what the league will do to take advantage of it.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
12 Sep 2023 12:35
Do stunts have a higher probability of working when you are working with a talented front 7 that has a good combination of speed and power?

I just fee like we have the horses for it and our coaches know it. What is the downside to stunts? I was pretty surprised to see the number of stunts we ran vs the rest of the league and wonder what the league will do to take advantage of it.
It CAN give up leverage if we run a stunt into a certain run play. For example, if we run a T/E stunt, the tackle coming out could more easily get sealed by the tackle which could give up a long outside run.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Stunts and blitzes have a higher probability of working against teams with no vertical pass threat whatsoever, and terrible OLs.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 12:17
Stunts are not blitzes and do not give up coverage to pressure the QB. From the article:
Briefly for those unfamiliar, stunts can take many different forms, but in general, they involve 2 pass rushers swapping their paths to the QB after the snap, with one defender ‘crashing’ into an offensive linemen, freeing up the other rusher to come ‘looping’ around the back with a clearer path to the quarterback.

These types of stunts can be ran regardless of the QB.
good point, may not matter who the QB is, what would make a diff. is our success with it against a better OL, and exposing it so teams figure out our tells, I think it losses it's effectiveness when teams know it's coming.

again I like it, just don't think we'll do it as much as we did against the Bears, the combination of a aintsy scrambling QB and a weak OL combination was perfect for stunting pass rushers.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
12 Sep 2023 13:27
good point, may not matter who the QB is, what would make a diff. is our success with it against a better OL, and exposing it so teams figure out our tells, I think it losses it's effectiveness when teams know it's coming.

again I like it, just don't think we'll do it as much as we did against the Bears, the combination of a aintsy scrambling QB and a weak OL combination was perfect for stunting pass rushers.
From what I'm reading (haven't seen the Falcons play this year) it sounds like we can basically play the same game against the Falcons.

They have a strong run game, a limited passer who can move around well, and a poor pass-blocking OL. Their weapons are of the big catch-point variety not the "get open quick" variety, which is a bad combination with a line that doesn't pass protect well. We need to prioritize stopping the run and make the QB's life hell when they pass. We can take some risks and fly downhill from the secondary because the chances of getting beat in the intermediate-to-long passing game seem low.

I haven't looked into the Saints yet. Will be interesting to see how/if things change up against better pass-protecting OLs and QBs.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I think we signed another OLineman (from Carolina?) to the PS and released our TE from the PS.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Anyone welcome to throw up the next GDT.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Packers are favored by 1.5 over the Falcons on Sunday.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Scott4Pack wrote:
12 Sep 2023 15:40
I think we signed another OLineman (from Carolina?) to the PS and released our TE from the PS.
On Tuesday, the Green Bay Packers announced that they signed offensive lineman Michael Jordan to the practice squad. Previously, the team only had one offensive lineman (Kadeem Telfort) on their 17-man practice squad. The corresponding roster move to allow for Jordan’s signing was the release of Austin Allen.

Myers is a hybrid center/guard who was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the fourth round of the 2019 draft. At Ohio State, Jordan was actually the starting center before Josh Myers — the Packers’ current starting center. After two years with the Bengals, he was waived at cutdowns in 2021 and was picked up by the Carolina Panthers — whom he played for in the 2021 and 2022 seasons. Recently, he was waived by the Panthers at cutdowns.

Over his NFL career, Jordan has played in 55 games and started 29 of them. While he only played 53 snaps last regular season, he has previously started in 29 of 38 games over the first three years of his NFL career — recording 2,080 offensive snaps over that timespan.