Week 1 Games

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

the EDGE (Floyd?) was still a ways away from the QB at the time Rodgers appears to spot Wilson, also trying to recover his feet from the OL's cut block and regain momentum. He only got there because Rodgers stupidly tucked and try to spin/run.

If AR just threw it to the open guy (i.e. did his job), I am not convinced that EDGE lays much of a hit on him, or even touches him at all.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
08 Sep 2023 11:11
They beat em like they beat the Packers on January 8th. Basically outhustled the opponent. The 'On Any Given Sunday' statement continues to hold true. Lions fans are invading stadiums now. Interesting.
Exactly the Lions are showing up and want to win more then the Packers in January and the Chiefs.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TB4 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 14:30

It seems if you look closely enough, Rodgers saw Wilson come free on the slant but he also saw Leonard Floyd coming full speed on the rush. Rodgers seems to let Wilson clear the middle while baiting Floyd to keep coming hard and trying to set him up with the spin move to escape and get outside the pocket and extend the play. Rodgers doesnt even attempt to release a pass to Wilson but does seem to be getting his feet and shoulders ready to Spin away from Floyd as he was coming full go. Rodgers has always relied on that move to escape the pocket and get out to the outside and find someone further down field or run it himself. I personally think that he was setting Floyd up to get an escape and he timing was off on the spin move and got dragged down while his feet where still trying to excute the spin and putting a lot of push on his lower legs because he wanted to spin away from Floyd and get outside. We have seen him do this countless of times and this time he timed it wrong and got his feet in a bad predicament. Just my opinion
spot on except I'am not so sure about the baiting, but it is a signature Rodgers escape move, and we've seen it a thousand times, whatever, Floyd was on him a lot faster then I think he expected, either way, not sure he'd have even gotten rid of the ball to Wilson even if he had tried, Floyd may have hit his hand in the follow through.

whats nice is we wont be forced to hear about Rodgers every week this season over any little thing he does now, the fan base can concentrate there anger on something else :banana:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
12 Sep 2023 15:03
the EDGE (Floyd?) was still a ways away from the QB at the time Rodgers appears to spot Wilson, also trying to recover his feet from the OL's cut block and regain momentum. He only got there because Rodgers stupidly tucked and try to spin/run.

If AR just threw it to the open guy (i.e. did his job), I am not convinced that EDGE lays much of a hit on him, or even touches him at all.
no, only 2 steps and he was coming full bore, Rodgers would have been creamed stepping into that throw, imo Rodgers was hoping the right to left crosser would clear, Wilson was the 3rd read and there was only time for 2, it's just that simple. :idn:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The EDGE was still 3 yards away when Rodgers transitions his eyes to Wilson. Plenty of room to make a throw.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 15:47
The EDGE was still 3 yards away when Rodgers transitions his eyes to Wilson. Plenty of room to make a throw.
we'll have to agree to disagree, Rodgers wasn't even into his escape and was hit.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
12 Sep 2023 15:39
Labrev wrote:
12 Sep 2023 15:03

no, only 2 steps and he was coming full bore, Rodgers would have been creamed stepping into that throw, imo Rodgers was hoping the right to left crosser would clear, Wilson was the 3rd read and there was only time for 2, it's just that simple. :idn:
This is the part where defense of Rodgers has gotten so absurd that his faithful defenders make him look bad and the haters have to give him credit. We are talking about Aaron Rodgers, a guy with one of the quickest releases ever seen in a QB, more than quick enough to beat an EDGE who is like still ten feet away (a mile in pro football) even after those two steps.

I believe Rodgers can make that throw and get out largely unscathed. You apparently don't think he has it in him to do that, though. Wow. Why are you such a Rodgers Haterz?? I mean I can just *feel* all the RAGE you have for him in your heart. You need to let go, or it will consume you! :lol:

Regardless, standing tall in the pocket and delivering a pass when pressure and a likely hit is coming is in the job description at QB.
—Magneto

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I’d disagree and if it makes me some mythical Rodgers disciple because I see it differently, so be it.

He was never Big Ben. Never been the big QB that stood there and took shots. Besides, even if, I’d say Not standing there and getting rocked and just shy of 40 when almost every other qb is already at home on a couch is part of what the Jets wanted him to do.

Saying he wasn’t going to be hit is almost as ludicrous as what you’re accusing others of.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

And how did that escape attempt work out for him? Oh right, he got rocked, took the sack, and became injured anyway.

If anything, he probably took a worse hit as a result of that. At least if you try throwing, it at worst probably just falls incomplete.

It would be one thing if he was still in his 20s or even early 30s and did that, back when he had the legs to evade defenders. I would argue it's still the wrong move, that you still have to pull the trigger on that Wilson throw, but at least rolling out may have been doable. And being younger, hits that injure you at 40 may not injure you in your athletic prime. At 39, trying to outrun Leonard Floyd (a PLUS athlete) is remarkable stupidity.

If there really was no escaping the hit/sack, then tuck the ball and cocoon up. But no, he had ample time to get the ball to the WR.

Saying he wasn’t going to be hit is almost as ludicrous as what you’re accusing others of.
No, it's not. Floyd is FAR from Rodgers when Wilson gets open, and even when Rodgers appears to see him.

Let's not forget either the extreme protection afforded to QBs by league refs, especially star QBs. If Floyd saw Rodgers's arms going up to pass, he probably holds back a bit in unloading his full force onto Rodgers in fear of drawing a flag. His hit if any would likely have been a pretty half-assed one.
Last edited by Labrev on 12 Sep 2023 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Rodgers not being Big Ben is actually the very point that Yours Truly has made several times precisely as to why Rodgers needs to stop being cute with running around behind the 'line and get rid of the damn ball, or precisely this will happen. The idea that I'm advocating for him to get hit more is exactly backwards.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Guys, too many of you are getting far too lost in all the details and specifics here.

Here's what we know: Duane Brown's job on that play was to chop block Leonard Floyd. Aaron Rodgers' job on that play was to throw the ball quickly because the pass rushers would recover from the blocks and come free.

We even have reporting that Rodgers addressed this scheme specifically "forcing him to get rid of the ball quickly."

Aaron Rodgers did not do his job on that play. He held the ball and took a sack. I don't care who was open or what he saw. He's a veteran QB savant (not sarcastic) who is well aware of the play and scenario. They had 3 shallow crossing routes and a chop block protection called. It's throw or get hit. He chose get hit.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

You do have the benefit of knowing the outcome. It obviously didn’t work out very well.

I wouldn’t ask one of the all time greats to be someone he’s not anymore than I’d expect a 40 year old Big Ben to suddenly be Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers has escaped that 1000 times and win far more than he’s lost. I wouldn’t be all that confident telling him stand tall and step into an oncoming truck a better strategy. I’d bet almost every GM and HC in the league would like their 40 year old QBs to limit contact.

And if chop blocks aren’t executed, you can’t get the ball out quick. Classic case of one guy doesn’t do his job makes it so the next guy can’t either. If you chop a guy, they need to be taken out of the pass lane. They weren’t even slowed down.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

So at almost 40, it is the expectation that Rodgers is 27 year old Rodgers or Justin Fields? What worked for him even 5 years ago is not working for him anymore. Instead of realizing that, he was still trying play like he was 30 instead of getting the ball out on what should have been a 3 step drop and quick release.

While the chop block was not the best, Floyd was certainly slowed down.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

musclestang wrote:
12 Sep 2023 18:44
You do have the benefit of knowing the outcome. It obviously didn’t work out very well.

I wouldn’t ask one of the all time greats to be someone he’s not anymore than I’d expect a 40 year old Big Ben to suddenly be Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers has escaped that 1000 times and win far more than he’s lost. I wouldn’t be all that confident telling him stand tall and step into an oncoming truck a better strategy. I’d bet almost every GM and HC in the league would like their 40 year old QBs to limit contact.

And if chop blocks aren’t executed, you can’t get the ball out quick. Classic case of one guy doesn’t do his job makes it so the next guy can’t either. If you chop a guy, they need to be taken out of the pass lane. They weren’t even slowed down.
Fortunately for me, I don't need the hindsight on this one.

I have, for YEARS, complained that Rodgers does not adequately account for the negative value of taking a sacks. I have, FOR YEARS, said what I want from Rodgers and what he is fully capable of, is for him to be as dedicated to avoiding sacks as Tom Brady and Drew Brees, who abhor taking negative plays.

Let's see how Rodgers' sack rate compared to those guys from age 30 on:
image.png
image.png (18.87 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
I highlighted above 5% in orange and above 6% in red. Rodgers was above 7% multiple years, they never were. The bolded years under Brady and Brees are the years in which they led the league in sack rate. Numerous data sets have indicated that sacks are more correlated to the QB than to the offensive line.

Rodgers takes too many sacks. He refused to change. He held the ball on a play that was intentionally called to be a quick pass. And he got hit, again. Rodgers has not been other-worldly at avoiding sacks, as detailed above; or at avoiding injury, as we've seen in his collarbones and calfs and thumb.

He has not proven he can do this enough to get a pass for continuously trying to. It is a flaw in his game. It's been a flaw for a long time.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Like I said, if the cut blocks don’t cut the defender and get them out of the passing lane, the ball can’t come out. Doesn’t matter who you are.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 19:15
So at almost 40, it is the expectation that Rodgers is 27 year old Rodgers or Justin Fields? What worked for him even 5 years ago is not working for him anymore. Instead of realizing that, he was still trying play like he was 30 instead of getting the ball out on what should have been a 3 step drop and quick release.

Even if that would have been the first read, the cut block was crap. If that was his first read I doubt you’ll find many OCs who’ll say throw the ball at the end even if he’s not cut.

It’s not about “slowing them dow “ it’s about getting them down so the ball can come out right away.

And yes, I’d say the expectation is letting a qb be himself. If anyone is suggesting getting hit by a runaway truck in your throwing motion is a better strategy, I’m gonna disagree.
Last edited by musclestang on 12 Sep 2023 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

musclestang wrote:
12 Sep 2023 19:56
Like I said, if the cut blocks don’t cut the defender and get them out of the passing lane, the ball can’t come out. Doesn’t matter who you are.
Except the ball could have come out...

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 19:59
musclestang wrote:
12 Sep 2023 19:56
Except the ball could have come out...
Lots of things could have happened. What happened is largely a fluke

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

musclestang wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Even if that would have been the first read, the cut block was crap. I’d that was his first read I doubt you’ll find many OCs who’ll say throw the ball at the end even if he’s not cut.

It’s not about “slowing them dow “ it’s about getting them down so the ball can come out right away.
You said he wasn't even slowed down. This is just not true. Floyd was slowed down enough for Rodgers to go through 3 reads and even get that ball out right away on the third read.

That cut block was effective enough.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 20:03
musclestang wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Even if that would have been the first read, the cut block was crap. I’d that was his first read I doubt you’ll find many OCs who’ll say throw the ball at the end even if he’s not cut.

You said he wasn't even slowed down. This is just not true. Floyd was slowed down enough for Rodgers to go through 3 reads and even get that ball out right away on the third read.

That cut block was effective enough.
A cut block is to get them down, not slow them down. He side stepped it and was full speed at the QB. By the time he squares and looks at the 3rd read he sets and tries to spin and a step later he’s hit by Floyd.

That wasn’t a cut block. He’d have been better off blocking straight up.