Week 1 Games

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

musclestang wrote:
12 Sep 2023 19:56
Like I said, if the cut blocks don’t cut the defender and get them out of the passing lane, the ball can’t come out. Doesn’t matter who you are.
Not to nitpick, but which passing lane is Floyd in?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 20:09
Yeah, he's pushed out so wide. I don't even understand how that can be the argument here.

Also, watching in real time, it was clear that he was holding the ball far longer than the play is designed for.

The excuse making is maddening. Like there's plenty to debate about Rodgers. What is very well documented and well known is that, 2020 aside, he holds the ball longer than average and he has avoided throwing to the middle of the field in recent years.

Why are we debating the specifics of this one play where he held the ball rather than throwing it down the middle and took a sack he didn't need to take. He could have thrown it at Wilson's feet if he didn't have time to get somewhere, but he just gives away yards.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

musclestang wrote:
12 Sep 2023 20:07

A cut block is to get them down, not slow them down. He side stepped it and was full speed at the QB. By the time he squares and looks at the 3rd read he sets and tries to spin and a step later he’s hit by Floyd.

That wasn’t a cut block. He’d have been better off blocking straight up.
That's the ultimate goal of a cut block, but that does not mean that if that does not happen it is ineffective. In this case it was effective enough to push Floyd out wide and slow him down. Had Rodgers not tried to set and spin and instead set and throw, we aren't having this conversation.

Cut blocks are used on quick throws precisely because they slow pass rushers down. Rodgers disregarded that and chose to hold onto the ball.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 12 Sep 2023 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Sep 2023 20:13

Why are we debating the specifics of this one play where he held the ball rather than throwing it down the middle and took a sack he didn't need to take. He could have thrown it at Wilson's feet if he didn't have time to get somewhere, but he just gives away yards.
Unfortunately it's being said that he didn't even have time to do that and this was an unavoidable incident.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 20:24
YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Sep 2023 20:13

Unfortunately it's being said that he didn't even have time to do that and this was an unavoidable incident.
Yes, he could have flipped it and gotten blown up. Or flipped it and coward in the fetal position. But then neither of which made Rodgers great. And one is more likely to knock out qbs than the fluke that happened.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 20:21
musclestang wrote:
12 Sep 2023 20:07

A cut block is to get them down, not slow them down. He side stepped it and was full speed at the QB. By the time he squares and looks at the 3rd read he sets and tries to spin and a step later he’s hit by Floyd.

That wasn’t a cut block. He’d have been better off blocking straight up.
That's the ultimate goal of a cut block, but that does not mean that if that does not happen it is ineffective. In this case it was effective enough to push Floyd out wide and slow him down. Had Rodgers not tried to set and spin and instead set and throw, we aren't having this conversation.

Cut blocks are used on quick throws precisely because they slow pass rushers down. Rodgers disregarded that and chose to hold onto the ball.
You’re right, we could be talking about broken ribs or any other. Umber of things that happen when you step into a free rusher.

They’re used to get rushers down in the ground to throw the ball where they are at. Or you block it up and hope for time and look for passing lanes.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

BF004 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 20:09
musclestang wrote:
12 Sep 2023 19:56
Like I said, if the cut blocks don’t cut the defender and get them out of the passing lane, the ball can’t come out. Doesn’t matter who you are.

Is he the first read? No. So wasn’t he just blocked straight up? The ball doesn’t look like it’s meant to come out quick to that receiver.

Imo he should t have been cutting in the backside anyway, it if you’re going to you need to do it.

Not let the. Defender have a free shot at your qb by the time he gets to that progression

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

With 10 feet between the defender and Rodgers when he would have thrown it and given today's NFL rules on hitting QBs it is very unlikely Rodgers would have been hurt had he thrown it.

Missing open receivers and getting injured didn't make Aaron Rodgers great either...

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 20:34
With 10 feet between the defender and Rodgers when he would have thrown it and give today's NFL rules on hitting QBs it is very unlikely Rodgers would have been hurt had he thrown it.

Missing open receivers and getting injured didn't make Aaron Rodgers great either...
I’m out. You see 10 feet, I saw a step and maybe a half when he comes to that read with floyd pinching in until Rodgers spun out.

Regardless, snapping his Achilles was a fluke. Stepping into free rushers is much more sure way to get knocked out.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Rodgers has already flipped his eyes to Wilson and this is the exact moment when Rodgers should have let it rip to Wilson:
image.png
image.png (873.15 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
Call it 7-8 feet, so my exaggeration.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 12 Sep 2023 20:49, edited 2 times in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lol.

Rodgers had 2.5 seconds to get the ball off AFTER he reached the back of his 3 step drop. Get real people.

Division II college quarterbacks get graded harder than Rodgers by his ardent supporters. Like what is being said doesn't make any sense. 3rd read? It is 3 slants all converging in the middle of the field (just different depths). You can and should be able to see all three players in your periphery and if you have any idea how to read a defense...you will know Wilson will become wide open with the easiest of throwing lanes.

It blows my mind a quarterback that good and that smart has such a problem making that play.

This is akin to the ridiculous defending on that 3rd down vs Washington last year where Rodgers read the defense so poorly.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah honestly Rodgers apologism is one of the main reasons why I hate him now. I could easily play Devil's Advocate and defend Rodgers against almost all the things I attack him on (not this lol, that play is as clear of a blunder as it gets); there are rational arguable defenses to be made for a lot of what I criticize about him.

But it is never rational defenses that we hear from his ardent proponents, just cult behavior.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Screenshot_20230912-212215.png
Screenshot_20230912-212215.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 2609 times
This was Love on his miss at 4:30 in the QB School video. That DT is as close as Floyd and Love gets it out and doesn't get killed.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2023 21:24

This was Love on his miss at 4:30 in the QB School video. That DT is as close as Floyd and Love gets it out and doesn't get killed.
To be fair, Love has already recognized the open receiver, made his decision, and begun his windup. Rodgers had not progressed that far into a potential throw and had the faster Floyd bearing down on him.

I get the point you’re trying to make but it’s tough to draw a reasonable comparison here IMO.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
12 Sep 2023 21:48
Pckfn23 wrote:

To be fair, Love has already recognized the open receiver, made his decision, and begun his windup. Rodgers had not progressed that far into a potential throw and had the faster Floyd bearing down on him.

I get the point you’re trying to make but it’s tough to draw a reasonable comparison here IMO.
as usual the film is inconclusive, with film any play can be picked apart, what seems obvious, isn't.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
12 Sep 2023 21:48
Pckfn23 wrote:

That's why I posted the screenshot of the moment Rodgers had recognized Wilson and should have ripped it. Definitely differences, but today's NFL doesn't allow for QBs to get blown up. As JT said a lot in the Love video, anticipation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
12 Sep 2023 20:43
lol.

Rodgers had 2.5 seconds to get the ball off AFTER he reached the back of his 3 step drop. Get real people.

Division II college quarterbacks get graded harder than Rodgers by his ardent supporters. Like what is being said doesn't make any sense. 3rd read? It is 3 slants all converging in the middle of the field (just different depths). You can and should be able to see all three players in your periphery and if you have any idea how to read a defense...you will know Wilson will become wide open with the easiest of throwing lanes.

It blows my mind a quarterback that good and that smart has such a problem making that play.
Honestly it doesn't get more basic and fundamentally true than this post.

2.5 seconds from SNAP to release is a quick pass. 2.5 seconds from the back of your drop to release is an eternity in the NFL. This is exactly what we're trying to say. You can nitpick it all you want, but Rodgers had probably 4-6 seconds from the snap to execute a 3-step drop and decided to hold the ball and try to bail from the pocket.

That's a bad play, no matter what else happens.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Gotta say, this thought occurred to me, as well...

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The way Mike McDaniel is motioning Tyreek Hill is genius.

Good luck jamming him at the LOS. Hill hits the LOS at near top speed and the defender has no chance of keeping up.

I'd like to see Watson utilized similar.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I'd bet sooner then later that some of those at the snap motions are going to get flagged as he is flirting with motion to the LoS.