2020 Training Camp

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lake shark wrote:
19 Aug 2020 20:51
Josh Jackson was targeted a lot last year. Competent qbs would change the play to throw it to his guy. Absolutely could not man cover crossing routes. He needs to make a jump to be serviceable otherwise a cut candidate imo.
I'm sorry but I don't buy this at all. No way can anyone make this statement about Jackson in 2019. There isn't any film or data to make this statement on Jackson in 2019. He didn't play!

Josh Jackson had 35 snaps all year where he defended a route.
He allowed 5 receptions and 62 yards with a touchdown.

The only games he had any real time at all was Dallas and Oakland. So this post should say, "Dak Prescott and Derrick Carr" would change the play and throw to his guy.

Josh Jackson covered primarily Jason Witten at Dallas. He allowed I think 2 receptions that day.
Josh Jackson played the last 2 minutes of the Raiders game and Carr torched him good. He allowed 2 receptions (one to Waller and one to Doss) Waller got a TD. But honestly our entire DB got torched that game. In fact, our entire DB got torched both games. The Raiders and Cowboys could have put over 40 on us except tipped balls into INTs, goalline stops, a ball flying out of Carr's hands and crossing the pylon out of bounds and missed fieldgoals in the redzone kept their score lower than it was.

This statement could be made about Jackson in 2018 (though I actually thought he was in position often...just great throws by the quarterback) but this can't be made on Jackson for 2019. He didn't play.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Aug 2020 08:23
lake shark wrote:
Josh Jackson was targeted a lot last year. Competent qbs would change the play to throw it to his guy. Absolutely could not man cover crossing routes. He needs to make a jump to be serviceable otherwise a cut candidate imo.
I'm sorry but I don't buy this at all. No way can anyone make this statement about Jackson in 2019. There isn't any film or data to make this statement on Jackson in 2019. He didn't play!

The only games he had any real time at all was Dallas and Oakland. So this post should say, "Dak Prescott and Derrick Carr" would change the play and throw to his guy.

Josh Jackson covered primarily Jason Witten at Dallas. He allowed I think 2 receptions that day.
Josh Jackson played the last 2 minutes of the Raiders game and Carr torched him good. He allowed 2 receptions (one to Waller and one to Doss) Waller got a TD. But honestly our entire DB got torched that game. In fact, our entire DB got torched both games. The Raiders and Cowboys could have put over 40 on us except tipped balls into INTs, goalline stops, a ball flying out of Carr's hands and crossing the pylon out of bounds and missed fieldgoals in the redzone kept their score lower than it was.

This statement could be made about Jackson in 2018 (though I actually thought he was in position often...just great throws by the quarterback) but this can't be made on Jackson for 2019. He didn't play.
:clap:

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Thank you for the correction. However the overall point remains. To date the highlight of his career is a preseason pick six. Otherwise he’s been benched or bad and has essentially occupied a roster spot because of draft status. Let’s hope the improvement is real.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Piece in The Athletic about Week One All-Hype Team
Believe the hype: 11 Packers players generating training camp buzz
By Matt Schneidman
There’s no better time to overreact to practice minutia than the first week of training camp.

Wide receivers are awesome because they’re catching passes against no defenders. Offensive lines are impeccable because the guys they’re blocking aren’t allowed to touch the quarterback. Defensive backs are lauded for intercepting passes when quarterbacks are slinging the ball with reckless abandon.

Maybe it’s because we haven’t watched live football since early February, but overreacting to such irrelevant plays sure feels good.

It is plays like those that generate buzz around certain players, some of that excitement warranted and some not as much, some of those players complete unknowns and some household names.

There have been players in both parties earning praise and recognition through the first four Packers practices for a variety of reasons. So without further ado, I present to you the 2020 Packers All-Hype Team, composed of 11 players generating the most buzz so far during training camp.

Note: Due to new practice reporting guidelines implemented by head coach Matt LaFleur and general manager Brian Gutekunst, we are not allowed to report which players are practicing with the first team, second team, third team, identify at which positions certain players are practicing or expand on scheme and personnel packages. As a result, this will lack some details you are used to reading, so bear with me!

Tim Boyle, quarterback
Not since his days at Xavier High School in Connecticut has Boyle entered a season in the same offense as the year before. That’s how he rolls into the 2020 season, his third with the Packers and second in LaFleur’s offense.

He’s slinging the ball all over the field in practice, completing a 45-yard bomb to Marquez Valdes-Scantling, ripping a touchdown pass over the middle to Reggie Begelton and nearly converting on a play-action pass to Jace Sternberger, who dropped a wide-open, would-be touchdown. The former Connecticut and Eastern Kentucky signal-caller is making some eye-opening throws. He’s done nothing to warrant a demotion from the No. 2 quarterback spot, even with a first-round pick also at the position.

“The terminology is coming to me. I’m seeing the defense a lot smoother,” Boyle said. “Year 2 in this system, Year 3 overall, obviously being behind (No.) 12 has helped me out a bunch, too. But I feel comfortable, confident and in control.”

Tyler Ervin, running back
Ervin was sparsely used on offense last season after joining the team in Week 13 primarily to return punts and kicks. He played only 42 offensive snaps in seven games (including the playoffs) but has shined as a receiver early in camp. Offensive snaps will again be hard to come by for Ervin with crowded rooms at running back and wide receiver, but expect him to still be used as an occasional change-of-pace trickery piece out of the backfield, both horizontally and vertically.

“He’s a weapon,” running back Aaron Jones said of Ervin. “You see him, I feel like he has the home run-threat ability. I feel like you cut up the film and have us in the game together, and different things like that, it keeps the defense guessing. It’s just, like you said, another explosive player on the field. So I think he can help this team on more than just special teams.”

AJ Dillon, running back
Dillon has made noise for his legs, not by running the ball with them but just because of their sheer girth. His quads are massive, and they have the Packers and their eager fans dreaming of the late-game, short-yardage possibilities with Dillon sparing Jones in the backfield.

It almost feels like Dillon’s build has made people forget the Packers still have the 2019 NFL touchdowns leader on the roster. Dillon also has flashed his pass-catching ability during practice, a branch of his game he wasn’t asked to flaunt at Boston College.

“Man, you know, as a linebacker, you want to man up and say, ‘If I see you in the hole, I’m going to hit you up top,’ ” Christian Kirksey said. “But when you see how big he is, you’ve almost got to go low. But then you look at his legs, and he’s got tree trunks. So you might want to think twice about that, too, so I’m excited to see what he brings to the table.

“He’s an extremely good guy. You see that, his personality. He’s kind of quiet, but he’s all about business. So I’m eager to see how he plays and be a one-two punch with Aaron.”

Equanimeous St. Brown, wide receiver
After missing the entirety of last season with a high-ankle sprain suffered in the Packers’ third preseason game, St. Brown is fully healthy and already making an impression on the practice field. At 6 foot 5, he’s tied with Allen Lazard for the tallest wideout on the team. His combination of size and speed is something the Packers sorely missed last season. The Packers are counting on his skill set after they didn’t draft a wide receiver and had Devin Funchess opt out of the 2020 season over concerns surrounding COVID-19.

“I think the first thing that jumps out to you especially when you’re in the meeting room with EQ is he is really intelligent,” LaFleur said. “That gives you a lot of flexibility with him, to be able to move him throughout different positions and just put him in different spots on the field.

“He knows our playbook inside and out. He knows the finer details, and I thought that was pretty impressive, especially since he missed all of last season. I just think that flexibility gives us a tremendous weapon. Not to mention, he’s a long guy that’s got a good catch radius, and he’s got really good speed.”

Robert Tonyan, tight end
Tonyan said Wednesday that he’s in the best physical shape of his career after nursing a hip injury last season. He’s proven to be an occasionally reliable downfield threat the last two seasons, and with Jimmy Graham gone, Tonyan should assume even more responsibility. He again trained with his close friend and 49ers All-Pro tight end George Kittle during the offseason, of which he said:

“We’re just always competing and he appreciates it because he has someone that is chasing him and I have someone that I’m chasing.”

Tonyan seems primed for a much-expanded role in the second year of LaFleur’s offense.

“With Jimmy obviously leaving us and not being here, it just opens up a big window for a playmaker,” Tonyan said. “Everyone’s going to have opportunities. Our tight end room is very well-rounded, but we’re trying to be the best tight end group in the NFL. We’re not just trying to be the best tight end for Green Bay, we’re trying to be the best tight end group in the NFL.”

Jake Hanson, center
I can’t say much about the 2019 sixth-round pick because I’m not allowed to say which unit Hanson is practicing with. What I can say, though, is that he started 49 games at center over four years at Oregon and Packers starting center Corey Linsley is a free agent next offseason. You do the math.

Lane Taylor, right guard
Again, apologies for the lack of specifics, but there’s a reason he’s on this list, though, He took a pay cut in the offseason, and even if Elgton Jenkins assumes the left-guard spot, Taylor can compete for a starting spot.

“He got injured last year, but he’s taken a lot of strides forward, and it’s very impressive to see a guy like Lane Taylor, who is traditionally the past couple of years has been on that left side, transition over the right side and not really lose a step or lose a stride over there,” Turner said.

Chandon Sullivan, cornerback
This offseason, Sullivan watched all 823 snaps that Tramon Williams took last season to prepare for his role as a slot cornerback. He made a nice pass breakup guarding Davante Adams on a shallow slant route in the red zone on Tuesday, which is hardly an enviable task. Sullivan played 350 defensive snaps last season (34 percent), but with how often defensive coordinator Mike Pettine used five-defensive back formations last season, he should be in line for significantly more snaps in 2020.

“He’s a great player,” safety Adrian Amos said of Sullivan. “Somebody I trusted last year, as well, when he came in, played very well. He played all over the secondary. Coming in this year, it’s full confidence in him and his ability within the defense, learning the defense. It’s his second year in the defense, as well. So I feel as though the sky’s the limit for him.”

Rashan Gary, outside linebacker
The 2019 first-round pick leaned out this offseason and spent his summer running stadium stairs in McKinney, Texas. Pettine and outside linebackers coach Mike Smith spent last season hyping Gary even when he wasn’t playing or producing, so we finally get to see if they were right about what he’s truly capable of when given a chance, which he’ll assuredly get this season even with the Smiths at the same position.

“I know this offseason is different than the rest than we’ve all seen across the league, and I had to come back in shape,” Gary said. “My body is right, body type, mind right, and just ready to go.”

Christian Kirksey, inside linebacker
The Packers’ new inside linebacker dropped into coverage and intercepted Rodgers on Monday, the highlight of what has been an impressive start to camp for him.

After playing in just nine games over the last two seasons because of pectoral and hamstring injuries, Kirksey said he feels like himself again. He already had familiarity with Pettine’s defense from their two years together in Cleveland, so he didn’t have to play catchup during a virtual offseason. Whether he will be an upgrade over Blake Martinez or not remains to be seen but early signs point to the affirmative.

“I’ve been super impressed with Christian. He’s a pro’s pro,” LaFleur said. “And just in the short time that he’s been here, he is on top of his assignments and helping direct traffic out there. Again, a great veteran presence. A guy who’s played a lot of ball and just excited to see him progress in this system.”

Adrian Amos, safety
Amos has intercepted Rodgers twice in the last two practices: a diving pick down the left sideline on Tuesday and a deep ball intended for Davante Adams on Wednesday. Amos only has five career interceptions in 76 career games, but he hopes more such plays come after a sturdy debut season in Green Bay.

“Take advantage of every opportunity I get with making plays on the ball. Getting the ball wins games,” Amos said. “That’s just as important as being in the right spot and making all your plays. I think those interceptions and forced fumbles and things will come with playing hard and being in the right place at the right time and capitalizing on every little opportunity.”

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lake shark wrote:
20 Aug 2020 09:36
Thank you for the correction. However the overall point remains. To date the highlight of his career is a preseason pick six. Otherwise he’s been benched or bad and has essentially occupied a roster spot because of draft status. Let’s hope the improvement is real.
For sure. I can't argue that. But I am going to play the "let's wait and see" game with Jackson as I am with EQSB and to a smaller extent MVS.

What all of them have in common is they all flashed their rookie year but also had many moments to give you pause their rookie year. Thy all sustained injuries last year which essentially ended their 2019 season and they all have open juries this year with fan perception of basically writing them off.

MVS has the most tape. MVS got us the most excited and MVS has also let us down the most.

EQSB I think has fans the most excited pre-camp going into this year because he has the least tape and therefore the least amount of knowledge or pre-bias on what he is. The fact he was IR'd last year helps his current perception.

Jackson just didn't play last year which it sounds like a lot was due to injury but because he was active each week, we could also view it as he just isn't good and is esssentially a healthy scratch.

This is a big year for our team and our 2018 draft class. Really all of them. Jackson, Burks, MVS and EQSB have been riddled with injury to start their career.

If we get two of these players to elevate as true contributors for us this year, the Packers future will look super bright. If all of them stink like we fear they might at the moment, I think our optimism for this team long term will take a huge hit because we will need to rely on at least some of this 2018 draft class for 2020 and beyond.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
20 Aug 2020 09:48
EQSB I think has fans the most excited pre-camp going into this year because he has the least tape and therefore the least amount of knowledge or pre-bias on what he is. The fact he was IR'd last year helps his current perception.
To be fair, EQSB has had me the most excited of the bunch since around November of 2017

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Za'Darius Smith and Davante Adams are not practicing today. Marcedes Lewis has returned.

No word yet on Montravius Adams

Everyone seems in good spirits, so nothing serious likely for anyone

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

image.png
image.png (62.73 KiB) Viewed 349 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

image.png
image.png (29.72 KiB) Viewed 347 times

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

go pak go wrote:
20 Aug 2020 08:23
lake shark wrote:

Jackson seemed to never be on the field last year, unless it was special teams. I do remember him covering Witten during the Dallas game, but little else sticks out.

With that being said, according to PFR, Jackson was targeted 8 times last year, with 7 completions (85.7% completion). This resulted in him giving up one TD on the year, with opposing QB's rating being 143.7. 0 passes defensed (had 10 in 2018 though).

We can take a lot of it with a grain of salt, as he was only on the field for 10% of the defensive snaps last year, at 103. That's not a lot of action to go by. However, it does appear when he was on the field last year.... overall wasn't good.

Keep in mind he was a little hobbled last year in the beginning, which I think limited his playing time throughout the year.

I will say though, injury or not, good or bad play, he was the only player where I was constantly thinking "Where is he?" last year.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Aug 2020 10:11
go pak go wrote:
20 Aug 2020 09:48
To be fair, EQSB has had me the most excited of the bunch since around November of 2017
Moore had me the most excited. We saw how that turned out. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wow, Jim Owczarski keeping up the bitter sarcasm instead of trying to inform for a second day. I'd legit suspend his access from training camp if I were his boss. Not that I'm on the side of the Packers' media policy, but he's literally not doing his job.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Dillon's path to the playing field takes a hit....
image.png
image.png (48.77 KiB) Viewed 311 times
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 20 Aug 2020 11:04, edited 2 times in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Awww
image.png
image.png (17.82 KiB) Viewed 324 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Actual football content
image.png
image.png (70.24 KiB) Viewed 323 times