Carlson

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
23 Aug 2023 09:37
paco wrote:
22 Aug 2023 22:34
Drj820 wrote:
22 Aug 2023 22:27
This guy is gonna cost us 2 games minimum
And I really don't think they care about that this year. This season has the feel of seeing what they have, and what they can build toward next season.

If it pops off this year, great. But they are young and are going to hit snags. If certain guys check out and make jumps, 2024/25 are the real target years to win.
I get that this is probably the approach, but I vehemently disagree with it. I want us to make a playoff push, and two games could be the difference between making it or missing it. Last year, we missed by one game. I am not okay with that.
I still refuse to believe our FO is taking this as a rebuilding year, or that the plan is to settle for 2nd place, they where willing to keep Rodgers right to the point that Rodgers said he wanted to leave, they kept a T on a big salary they could have moved on from, same with a Safety that basically quit on the team, nah, imho the goal remains the same as it's always been, Win, I also dont seeing us throw in the towel if we do lose, in the last 30 plus years I havn't seen us do any of the sort, I don't see us adapting that attitude now

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

APB wrote:
23 Aug 2023 02:58
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
22 Aug 2023 22:27
This guy is gonna cost us 2 games minimum
And I really don't think they care about that this year. This season has the feel of seeing what they have, and what they can build toward next season.

If it pops off this year, great. But they are young and are going to hit snags. If certain guys check out and make jumps, 2024/25 are the real target years to win.
Bingo.

I think they see a kid with a big leg who has some fixable technical issues. If it takes a season to work through those issues then so be it.

It's apparent the org is willing to use this season as a growth year for not only the kicker, but a number of other positions. Whatever success they see this year will only serve to benefit future years when the real championship runs ensue.
Yeah and if this is the case then I am fine with seeing what Carlson has. But if we are actually trying to win then he should have a shorter leash

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

texas wrote:
23 Aug 2023 17:40
APB wrote:
23 Aug 2023 02:58
paco wrote:

Bingo.

I think they see a kid with a big leg who has some fixable technical issues. If it takes a season to work through those issues then so be it.

It's apparent the org is willing to use this season as a growth year for not only the kicker, but a number of other positions. Whatever success they see this year will only serve to benefit future years when the real championship runs ensue.
Yeah and if this is the case then I am fine with seeing what Carlson has. But if we are actually trying to win then he should have a shorter leash
Even if Carlson struggles you can partially compensate by going for the 1st down rather than a FG attempt or by going for 2 vs an extra point. When the odds are reasonably close, be aggressive.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

texas wrote:

I think he gets cut by December.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Aug 2023 11:27
texas wrote:

Maybe. But I remember the Packers moving on from Josh Bidwell and then having 5 punters over 6 seasons until they found Tim Masthay. And I remember Crosby's bad year when most of us wanted to see him cut.

I think if he is bad, December is too late. I'd give him 2 regular season games to suck in, and if he does suck you cut him then and bring him back next spring to try again, unless the Packers get very lucky in finding a replacement.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
25 Aug 2023 09:13
wallyuwl wrote:
texas wrote:

Maybe. But I remember the Packers moving on from Josh Bidwell and then having 5 punters over 6 seasons until they found Tim Masthay. And I remember Crosby's bad year when most of us wanted to see him cut.

I think if he is bad, December is too late. I'd give him 2 regular season games to suck in, and if he does suck you cut him then and bring him back next spring to try again, unless the Packers get very lucky in finding a replacement.
Craig Henrich was a great punter for the Pack.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Any guesses on how many yards short Crosby’s kick would have landed had it been him attempting the 57 yd FG that Carlson made with leg to spare? :mrgreen:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
27 Aug 2023 16:12
Any guesses on how many yards short Crosby’s kick would have landed had it been him attempting the 57 yd FG that Carlson made with leg to spare? :mrgreen:
8. :munch:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
27 Aug 2023 15:58
TheSkeptic wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Hentrich?

Yeah, he was very good. We also had Sean Landeta for a year and he was great, even on the tail end of his career.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
27 Aug 2023 16:29
APB wrote:
27 Aug 2023 16:12
8. :munch:
Has anybody done an estimate how much that kick cleared the cross bar?

This guy has the potential to regularly kick 55+ yard figgies. There aren’t many unicorns like that. You keep the ones you can find, at least as long as you can tolerate their failures.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
27 Aug 2023 19:12
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

Hentrich?

Yeah, he was very good. We also had Sean Landeta for a year and he was great, even on the tail end of his career.
After 4 years in Green Bay including getting a Super Bowl 31 ring Hentrich went to the Titans and became an All Pro. :bkw:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Maybe a Monday morning thing, but, while no argument with Craig's performance, what does he have to do with the gap between Bidwell and Masthay?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Half Empty wrote:
28 Aug 2023 08:18
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

Maybe a Monday morning thing, but, while no argument with Craig's performance, what does he have to do with the gap between Bidwell and Masthay?
The other gap: Louie Aguiar and Sean Landeta :banana:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Anyway, I think our angst over Carlson has been proven wrong. He is a good kicker, could be a great kicker. It is not just the distance that he had on that FG, it was also perfect center. yeah, yeah, only 1 game, but what a game! A perfect game for a rookie making his first start.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
12 Sep 2023 17:05
Half Empty wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

I mentioned Landeta earlier in the thread. He had a short tenure with the Pack, but he was still very good.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

My opinion is unchanged. The question-mark with him is consistency between days.

He was perfect on Sunday, which does not contradict what we learned in TC: he had some days in camp when he was perfect, others where he couldn't hit the broadside of the barn.

I am not a Doomer on the guy, just not sold on him from one good game. I will be more impressed once he strings a few games like this together and it becomes the norm.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
12 Sep 2023 17:05
Half Empty wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Another gap. Don Bracken. Bracken averaged 40 yards a punt during the 3 years he punted for the Packers. Just to give people an idea how bad the Packers offense was in 1987 ............. Bracken punted 72 times in 1987. Only 1 punt was blocked. Our QBs were Randy Wright, Alan Risher and Willie Gillus. Thankfully soon thereafter we found Majik and Brett. GO PACK GO!

Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 14 Sep 2023 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ok, that's great and all but are we really gonna dig up every 30-40 years past punter in a conversation about our current kicker? Don't we have a "Former Packers" thread somewhere for that type conversation?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
14 Sep 2023 07:00
Ok, that's great and all but are we really gonna dig up every 30-40 years past punter in a conversation about our current kicker? Don't we have a "Former Packers" thread somewhere for that type conversation?

this poster started the comparisons, which turned into a nice discussion of past kickers and punters

the only one to complain seems to be you, topics run in the direction of enjoyed conversation, people tend to enjoy comparing players we've had, most agree the switch to Carlson was needed, and yes I for sure think Crosby could have made that FG, your so rapped up in slaming that guy you don't want others to talk about anything else :rotf: :rotf: