Week 2 Post-Game: Falcons 25 Packers 24

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Week 2 Post-Game: Falcons 25 Packers 24

Post by APB »

Let one slip away. Ugh.

Let’s hear it.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

We're better than those $%@#. Reminds me of 2010. It took them every little thing going their way, to eek out a win at the very end. Trick plays, bad spots, miscues from us, zero mistakes from them, and they still should have lost.

I thought we should have challenged the spot on our penultimate drive, I thought Dillon had the 1st down and nobody even really gave it a 2nd look.

It was clear to me, as we already know, that Dillon is a significant step down from Jones. Also didn't help that we were missing our best WR and OL. Any one of the 3 plays today and we win.

I think our ceiling still looks to be very high. Whenever you have to rely on your QB to run as much as they did, and then dink and dunk with zero mistakes, you have a lower ceiling. In our case, we don't really do any of those things. Love had mistakes today but we moved the ball effectively for long stretches. Love continues to far exceed what I thought his floor could be, so that's really good. I think our trajectory is up and we continue to improve, and if this game gets played in January we win.

The one downside was that our perimeter defense was sus. But I can't say enough good things about our interior DL/LB after 2 games. They've manhandled both teams we've played so far. The best way to build a Super Bowl caliber roster is to have a dominant DL. Didn't get the W today but I see a lot that I like.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Sitting back and looking at the big picture, I wouldn’t have expected a win with injuries to so many key players. Jones, Watson, Bakh all inactive then lose Jenkins and Van Ness in game is very tough to overcome.

But they did!

Until they didn’t.

The offense was solid until it mattered. They played stiff in the 4th quarter and got nothing going. Dillon is the softest battering ram RB I’ve ever seen. He goes down way too easily. Love’s accuracy went out the window. Just a tough lesson for the young offense. Forgivable, though.

But the defense?

More of that soft garbage from Barry. 2-gapping and letting them gash us with the strength of their offense. Dropping interceptions. Poor tackling. That outlet pass to Bijan where he was uncovered out of the backfield is shake-your-head unforgivable.

I expect the offense to stumble. I also expect the defense to pick them up. They didn’t and it’s gotten really old.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Idk, we played bend but don't break and the other team just didn't make any mistakes at all. Frankly, the offense bears a lot of the blame for going 3 and out 3 times in the 4th quarter. The last thing our defense needed was to continue to have to stay on the field. All game long, Bijan kept hammering them and by the 4th quarter, they needed to be off the field and the offense goes and gives the ball right back.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Well, the best way to get off the field is to stop them. The Falcons had a scoring drive on every 4th quarter possession. That’s not winning defensive football.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

The "stars" didn't show up today. Gary was God awful. Jaire was not good either. Campbell looks old and slow. The edge play was not good.

The Ongame plan was great until they played scared late. Love took what they gave and outside of not hitting doubs for a walk in TD and a few forced passes he was really good. Dillon sucks. OMG he just isn't it

The falcons wanted it more. You could feel it with 4 minutes in the 3rd they punched GB in the mouth and again.... the Packers couldn't respond.

Love the Dl. Young pass catchers are going to be good

Need more from the big names. Jaire got pushed around today. Gary got abused crashing down.

Learn from this one and move forward

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

doesn't make sense when there having success with stretch tackle runs to pin your hears back and go as though everything is a pass play, but thats what Gary and even Smith do, by the time they recover there drive into the path of our LBers, at that point it's already a chain mover and up to the safety or CB to stop a TD.

we did well for 3 quarter, hopefully we learn and improve on that and finish games out.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Talk me out of this... because I think we win this game with a functional RB. Given Jones' durability and LaFleur's refusal to push his limits, having 2 RB's is needed to make this offense work. Right now, we have 1.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
17 Sep 2023 16:26
Talk me out of this... because I think we win this game with a functional RB.

Yes, we do. But trading away picks and paying top dollar in new contract costs for Taylor would be overkill.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The Packers are 1-1 after playing 2 games on the road and losing by 1 point with 4 starters plus LVN on the sidelines.

This team just needs to get healthy. I don't know what to say about Bakh so I won't say what I fear.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
17 Sep 2023 16:29
NCF wrote:
Talk me out of this... because I think we win this game with a functional RB.

Yes, we do. But trading away picks and paying top dollar in new contract costs for Taylor would be overkill.
The cost to acquire seems prohibitive, but isn’t that cost seemingly coming down week by week? I will pay the contract knowing Jones likely won’t be here and we literally have nothing else going into next season.

Read More. Post Less.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Jordan Love deserves a better defense.

TB4
Reactions:

Post by TB4 »

NCF wrote:
Talk me out of this... because I think we win this game with a functional RB. Given Jones' durability and LaFleur's refusal to push his limits, having 2 RB's is needed to make this offense work. Right now, we have 1.

No its not worth it. This team isnt a Super Bowl Contender this year or the next 2 seasons. You dont give away young wideouts (watson), draft picks or big money contracts right now.
You develop your young kids, you collect draft picks, you get your cap under control, you pay the young guys that you feel will be your foundation, you keep drafting best player available and you keep scouting other teams coaches for when you are ready to go to the next level. MLF will be okay to develop this team but will never be good enough to get out of his own way ( too loyal for the next level). So when its time to go for it- Youll have some new young running backs and youll have a new coaching staff. Not some overpayed running back.

Also, start trading and releasing old guys who suck up cap space while needing 4 weeks to recover from typical football soreness. Make examples of them now so the young kids realize that you play through stuff or you dont play on this team. Rebuild the pansy culture into a tough nosed serious culture.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Dillon should sit and we should get a look at Wilson.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We should trade for a D-Coord. :| You cannot convince me that this is not an elite D in the hands of a good coach. Evero did more with less and an offense that did his side no favors in Denver.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
17 Sep 2023 16:47
Dillon should sit and we should get a look at Wilson.
Concur.

I’d rather go this route, at least right now, than make a move for Taylor.

TB4
Reactions:

Post by TB4 »

Labrev wrote:
17 Sep 2023 16:55
We should trade for a D-Coord. :| You cannot convince me that this is not an elite D in the hands of a good coach. Evero did more with less and an offense that did his side no favors in Denver.
But thats not how MLF works. Im starting to think he enjoys having Joe Boy around to take the public blame as it keeps the heat off MLF. MLF shows no fire, no accountability, same cliche answers, pretends to be mad at the end of the game news conferences and never does anything about it.

MLF coaches scared all the time in the 2nd halfs ( kicking a forld goal down by 8 in the NFC championship is who he is) , so if the HC coaches scared, so does the Def. Coordinator. Nothing changes

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

TB4 wrote:
17 Sep 2023 16:46
NCF wrote:

No its not worth it. This team isnt a Super Bowl Contender this year or the next 2 seasons. You dont give away young wideouts (watson), draft picks or big money contracts right now.
You develop your young kids, you collect draft picks, you get your cap under control, you pay the young guys that you feel will be your foundation, you keep drafting best player available and you keep scouting other teams coaches for when you are ready to go to the next level. MLF will be okay to develop this team but will never be good enough to get out of his own way ( too loyal for the next level). So when its time to go for it- Youll have some new young running backs and youll have a new coaching staff. Not some overpayed running back.

Also, start trading and releasing old guys who suck up cap space while needing 4 weeks to recover from typical football soreness. Make examples of them now so the young kids realize that you play through stuff or you dont play on this team. Rebuild the pansy culture into a tough nosed serious culture.
Huh

Which old guys are you trading? Outside of Bak whom that move should have been made before reworking a deal there isn't many old guys to trade.

The letting ML develop a team to "go for it" then dumping him for an new staff to make a run... Has that ever happened??

I can see both sides of wanting a big name RB or not. On the surface the money we are paying Jones can go to a big contract for a guy like Taylor. He's still young. Lock him up and find back up pieces. At the same time you can plug and play backs just get over the Dillon type. He can't even keep his footing. It's so weird.

This team is going to have clunkers. Like I said earlier I loved the offensive game plan it was picking the falcons apart. If the running game did anything they score 40.

D got tired and passive. I'm already waiting for next week to see a response at home

Get healthy

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TB4 wrote: MLF coaches scared all the time in the 2nd halfs ( kicking a forld goal down by 8 in the NFC championship is who he is) , so if the HC coaches scared, so does the Def. Coordinator. Nothing changes
Yep. I agree.

He talks a good game but I think it’s a facade. He turns conservative far too often with the lead and rarely goes for a kill shot when the opportunity presents itself.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
17 Sep 2023 17:05
TB4 wrote:
17 Sep 2023 16:46
NCF wrote:

Huh

Which old guys are you trading? Outside of Bak whom that move should have been made before reworking a deal there isn't many old guys to trade.

The letting ML develop a team to "go for it" then dumping him for an new staff to make a run... Has that ever happened??

I can see both sides of wanting a big name RB or not. On the surface the money we are paying Jones can go to a big contract for a guy like Taylor. He's still young. Lock him up and find back up pieces. At the same time you can plug and play backs just get over the Dillon type. He can't even keep his footing. It's so weird.

This team is going to have clunkers. Like I said earlier I loved the offensive game plan it was picking the falcons apart. If the running game did anything they score 40.

D got tired and passive. I'm already waiting for next week to see a response at home

Get healthy
I agree, the drop off between Jones and the rest of our RB's is whats holding this offense back, because of it's ineptness, the passing becomes harder, Nijman, Dillon, and a 3rd for Jonathon Taylor Monday :banana: