Carlson

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
14 Sep 2023 08:50
APB wrote:
14 Sep 2023 07:00
Ok, that's great and all but are we really gonna dig up every 30-40 years past punter in a conversation about our current kicker? Don't we have a "Former Packers" thread somewhere for that type conversation?

Maybe. But I remember the Packers moving on from Josh Bidwell and then having 5 punters over 6 seasons until they found Tim Masthay. And I remember Crosby's bad year when most of us wanted to see him cut.

this poster started the comparisons, which turned into a nice discussion of past kickers and punters

the only one to complain seems to be you, topics run in the direction of enjoyed conversation, people tend to enjoy comparing players we've had, most agree the switch to Carlson was needed, and yes I for sure think Crosby could have made that FG, your so rapped up in slaming that guy you don't want others to talk about anything else :rotf: :rotf:
<sigh>

That's great, [mention]Yoop[/mention]. If you wanna continue to talk about punters from yesteryear, have at it. Just start a thread for it or place it in the appropriate "Former Packers" thread. The tangential punter conversation in this Carlson thread has run it's course, tho. The topics are no longer remotely related. It's a simple thing, really.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

What do you all think about Carlson's holder #19 Whelan? Or do we need a new thread for that as well? We've got snappers, kickers, holders and punters.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 18 Sep 2023 04:53, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Oh FFS.

Are we talking Whelan or are we talking about a holder from 40 years ago, long since forgotten and as irrelevant as, say, Don Bracken, for example?

I mean, seriously. :roll:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
15 Sep 2023 08:01
What do you all think about Carlson's holder #17? Or do we need a new thread for that as well? We've got snappers, kickers, holders and punters.
Who's the best, likely HoF snubbed, Packers holder of all time?

Oh, wait. I don't care.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

The holder in question wears #17.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
15 Sep 2023 11:51
as the forum goes dead for a hour

why anyone gives a hoot that you like to talk nostalgia Ringo is such a mystery to me, it's always interesting for me and I'am sure some others, and NO ONE is stopping them from talking about anything they want to talk about.

so many chiefs, so few indians, just doesn't make any sense, other forums have hyjacking too, ya don't see there members brow beaten as they are around here, specially in a dead end thread like this Carlson one.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
I don't recall if the old #17 Bracken punter held field goal kicks or not. The new #19 punter does.

I've never seen a list of all time Packer holders.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 18 Sep 2023 04:55, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
15 Sep 2023 12:23
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

why anyone gives a hoot that you like to talk nostalgia Ringo is such a mystery to me, it's always interesting for me and I'am sure some others, and NO ONE is stopping them from talking about anything they want to talk about.

so many chiefs, so few indians, just doesn't make any sense, other forums have hyjacking too, ya don't see there members brow beaten as they are around here, specially in a dead end thread like this Carlson one.
Not all moderators are alike. :aok:

Start a Punter and Holder thread.

Remember Joe Prokop.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

<repeat sigh>

Again, for those in the back, nobody…NOBODY…is denying anybody a voice to talk about whatever they wanna talk about. I simply asked that the conversation in THIS thread return to its original topic.

Carlson is the current Packers kicker. Carlson has seen his share of early struggles. Carlson has also seen some early in-game success. I suspect Carlson will inevitably see further struggles along the way in this, his rookie season, thus prompting further discussion. I sincerely doubt this now 9-page “dead end” thread is anything close to that.

The tangential discussion about past irrelavent punters has run its course in THIS thread. That said, feel free to discuss past players, punters or whatever, in the already created past players thread (or a newly created thread) to your hearts desire. Nobody is limiting your ability to do so.

This “victim” thing you guys are playing is deflating. Get over it.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
16 Sep 2023 09:05
Yoop wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

<repeat sigh>

Again, for those in the back, nobody…NOBODY…is denying anybody a voice to talk about whatever they wanna talk about. I simply asked that the conversation in THIS thread return to its original topic.

Carlson is the current Packers kicker. Carlson has seen his share of early struggles. Carlson has also seen some early in-game success. I suspect Carlson will inevitably see further struggles along the way in this, his rookie season, thus prompting further discussion. I sincerely doubt this now 9-page “dead end” thread is anything close to that.

The tangential discussion about past irrelavent punters has run its course in THIS thread. That said, feel free to discuss past players, punters or whatever, in the already created past players thread (or a newly created thread) to your hearts desire. Nobody is limiting your ability to do so.

I think that Carlson will symbolize this 2023 Packer squad; young, loads of talent, up days and down days. Able to do great things and then be inconsistent from one day to another. Maybe that's one reason that our GM has asked for patience. He might as well ask patience for the entire team. It also has loads of talent but is young and inexperienced overall. Why ask a different level of patience for a kicker than we would for the entire squad? That's what I'm thinking.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
16 Sep 2023 11:55
APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:

<repeat sigh>

I think that Carlson will symbolize this 2023 Packer squad; young, loads of talent, up days and down days. Able to do great things and then be inconsistent from one day to another. Maybe that's one reason that our GM has asked for patience. He might as well ask patience for the entire team. It also has loads of talent but is young and inexperienced overall. Why ask a different level of patience for a kicker than we would for the entire squad? That's what I'm thinking.
If there's a bad snap that lands in #17 Carlson's lap or hands and he hurriedly punts it .............. this thread will likely go into uncontrolled frenzied oscillations. Soon thereafter someone might just lose it. GO PACK GO! :surrender:
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 18 Sep 2023 04:56, edited 3 times in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
16 Sep 2023 11:55
APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:

<repeat sigh>

I just think he emphasized the kicker to pacify APB, so we wouldn't scream "I told you so's " if Carlson should bomb, or be inconsistent :rotf: thats just what I think :rotf: ( :surrender: :slapfight: :grin: :tiphat: )

It's like Love replacing Rodgers, Carlson is replacing the same long tenured fan favorite, and another position of limited depth, we only have one kicker, thats all

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Any confidence changes, for better or worse, in our young kicker??

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
17 Sep 2023 19:54
Any confidence changes, for better or worse, in our young kicker??
I held my breath every kick. And every kick he was clutch.

I gotta say. I felt pretty good if Love could have just given him a chance at the end.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Should've let him kick the 1st one, even after the penalty.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
17 Sep 2023 21:15
Should've let him kick the 1st one, even after the penalty.
Agreed.

No idea why MLF decided not to. Kid’s leg is definitely strong enough.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

:dunno:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The decision not to kick made no sense. You come out aggressively with a flea flicker that was successful and then got scared to be aggressive and use your big leg kicker?

LaFleur is a baffling coach.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Sep 2023 22:45
The decision not to kick made no sense. You come out aggressively with a flea flicker that was successful and then got scared to be aggressive and use your big leg kicker?

LaFleur is a baffling coach.
Agree seemed like a panic move. 1st why not call a timeout to avoid the penalty. 2nd Carlson has been putting 50 yarders through the top of the uprights outdoors and is seemingly on fire right now and you show no confidence in dome conditions? 3rd you're still on your game opening plays - even going for is better than a net 19 yard field position change.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
15 Sep 2023 11:18
Oh FFS.

Are we talking Whelan or are we talking about a holder from 40 years ago, long since forgotten and as irrelevant as, say, Don Bracken, for example?

I mean, seriously. :roll:
We're talking #19 Whelan. I was mistaken earlier thinking Whelan wore #17. :surrender: