Week 2 Post-Game: Falcons 25 Packers 24

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Sep 2023 22:28
I thought this when we first hired LaFleur and heard him talk and I’ve said it multiple times here. He doesn’t strike me as someone I would follow into battle. He stutters all over the place when we talks. He talks bigger than he is but isn’t about what he says.

As a member of the military I have seen great leaders speak and seen wannabe leaders try to speak and regurgitate what better leaders have said and that’s what LaFleur reminds me off. He’s a guy who preaches playing hard but coaches a soft team and talks accountability but hires and maintains one of the worst defensive coordinators in the history of the league.
Can you elaborate on this? I tend to prefer the LaFleur type of HC over the rah-rah type of coach but maybe that's not what you're talking about. But in today's NFL it's definitely the smart nerdy guys, the Xs and Os coaches, that win rather than the tough guy, inspire the troops coaches. Like 100% of the time.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

TB4 wrote:
17 Sep 2023 17:33
APB wrote:
17 Sep 2023 17:08
TB4 wrote: MLF coaches scared all the time in the 2nd halfs ( kicking a forld goal down by 8 in the NFC championship is who he is) , so if the HC coaches scared, so does the Def. Coordinator. Nothing changes
Yep. I agree.

He talks a good game but I think it’s a facade. He turns conservative far too often with the lead and rarely goes for a kill shot when the opportunity presents itself.
APB-
Do you ever think MLF would have gone for it on 4th down, already in field goal position, down by 2 late in the game?
I could never see him saying " Guys we are going for it on 4th and a long 1 and going to eat more clock, make them burn timeouts and then kick the field goal". Never happen.

He even said he was going for it on 4th and 1 after Dillon was short but his actions don't show that. Going for it on 4th and 1 on your side of the field isnt a tentative call. You dont say to your qb if its there then go for it. That puts a lot of pressure on Love. You, as a coach, make the decision. You call in the play and you live with the results. You dont say " Well Love saw it but couldnt yell loud enough" - You are the coach- Call the Effing Play and show tour young players that you are here to win. Dont ask the young players to decide if a big play call decision is an option. Just effing call it, buckle up and live with the results. Thats how they learn that you as a coach trust what you preach
Throw the challenge flag, since Dillon probably got the first down on that 3rd down dive. His hip landed on the 35, so hard to imagine the ball didnt get past it...

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

texas wrote:
18 Sep 2023 01:45
lupedafiasco wrote:
I thought this when we first hired LaFleur and heard him talk and I’ve said it multiple times here. He doesn’t strike me as someone I would follow into battle. He stutters all over the place when we talks. He talks bigger than he is but isn’t about what he says

As a member of the military I have seen great leaders speak and seen wannabe leaders try to speak and regurgitate what better leaders have said and that’s what LaFleur reminds me off. He’s a guy who preaches playing hard but coaches a soft team and talks accountability but hires and maintains one of the worst defensive coordinators in the history of the league.
Can you elaborate on this? I tend to prefer the LaFleur type of HC over the rah-rah type of coach but maybe that's not what you're talking about. But in today's NFL it's definitely the smart nerdy guys, the Xs and Os coaches, that win rather than the tough guy, inspire the troops coaches. Like 100% of the time.
lupe is right, you're wrong. And no, I won't elaborate on this, because I don't need to.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Though I had waking up this morning. Jordan Love leads the league in passing rating - by 10 points - and is 6-0 in TDs vs turnovers while missing several some of the best players on O.

Low key amazing!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
I thought this when we first hired LaFleur and heard him talk and I’ve said it multiple times here. He doesn’t strike me as someone I would follow into battle. He stutters all over the place when we talks. He talks bigger than he is but isn’t about what he says.

After this game I’m not sure how you keep playing Dillon on offense. You just can’t be a big back and have this bad of balance and go down so easily. He is in the last year of his deal and o really expected him to just go beast mode running the ball. He shouldn’t be in this teams long term plans so try someone who might be.

Offensive line was down players but I felt like they got dominated up front. The Falcons sent pressure most of the night and I think they got that from the Chiefs tape. Love needs to be better finding his hots and identifying the blitz sooner. Inexperience showed but I expect that to be better in year 3. He struggles sustaining drives and starts incredibly slow.

Overall good day from the receivers. They made plays.

Dog &%$@ day by Alexander. He got beat up on all day and the one chance he had to make up for it and really seal the game he blew. Savage played very soft again today. Gary couldn’t hold the edge. Not a good day for a defense that needed to show they could handle a physical Falcons team.
Lupe, what you are saying fully backs up what I saw last season watching the Matt LaFleur show each week on Wednesday nights on Milwaukee TV. He's probably in over his head as a Head Coach ......... would likely be more effective as an Offensive Coordinator. Certainly hoping LaCoach can pivot/evolve to being a respected Head Coach sooner rather than later. Going back to 2022, the Packers are now 9-10 the last 19 games, 2-3 in playoffs since 2019 when LaCoach took over. Still have 15 games left to get the GBP train back on the right track. Let's hope for the best. Jordan Love deserves a better defense.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 18 Sep 2023 04:46, edited 2 times in total.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Some vlogger Herman saying MCL sprain for Elgton, which would be about the best case scenario as far as knee injuries go. Any confirmation?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

salmar80 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 03:36
Though I had waking up this morning. Jordan Love leads the league in passing rating - by 10 points - and is 6-0 in TDs vs turnovers while missing several some of the best players on O.

Low key amazing!
And the Packers are still tied for the lead in the NFC North. With all the rookies and 2nd year starters and with the key injuries, I'll take it

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

texas wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

You witnessed an example that invalidates your premise just today (yesterday) in Arthur Smith (Falcons HC). Dan Campbell is another one.

I also think you're waaay over-simplifying things with those two basic classifications of coaching types.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Scott4Pack wrote:
17 Sep 2023 20:59
Anything short of a string of defensive games that are under par and JB stays in GB. But seriously, let's not worry about him. We have stars that failed in their jobs today, even if only a play here and a play there.

I give Atlanta full credit. It looked to me in the 3rd that they would not go away and they didn't. They played good football and had more desire to win than our guys. They were the better team.

Once more, we have a very young team. Youngest in the league. We are going to have highs and lows, often together. I'm more concerned that this team strings enough success together to increase in confidence. If they do, we'll be fine and even contend in January. If they don't, it'll become a very long season. With this much youth, it could be either way.

I choose to believe. I have reasons. Love = very good. Jones. Doubs and the other WRs. Savage is still on upswing. Special teams haven't shown up yet and that will occur. MLF is opening the playbook. There is a lot of good. And they'll fix some issues.
This is the best take. We were never expecting to compete for a SB this year, although yesterday's loss was frustrating in how it happened. But this is a bunch of young guys gaining experience, and some of the youth on our team is very exciting, with the obvious most exciting development being that Love is really good. Imagine what he could have done yesterday with Bak, Jones, and Watson suiting up.

The couple frustrating points though that I hope don't linger into next season:

- Why is Bakhtiari still missing games....and why is he still on our roster. Yeah yeah yea, I get it, he's one of the best when he plays, but considering the youth on this team, I would have rather gotten some draft picks for him this past offseason if he's still going to be a part time player.

- Joe Barry has to go. The talent on this defence should result in us being a Top 5 defense, no exceptions. Need to find an elite coach to come here at all costs.

- It pains me to say because I love the guy, but AJ Dillon should not be a Packer next year. I'm good with investing a high pick to eventually take over for Aaron Jones. But Jones needs to stay a Packer until he finally loses a step and we need to groom a new replacement.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I don't see Andy Reid rant and rave, and go ape &%$@ with the reffs over calls that seemed borderline, and he's a X &O's type coach.

saying that, I'am starting to loose some faith in Lafleur, some of his called plays, or the design of them pre snap are such easy tells, if I know whats coming I'am sure the defense does, any called play for Dillon to run sideways is disaster.

this is a team we should have beaten, instead we watch as they score on 3 drives in the 4th while we went 3 and out, gave up 3 big chunk plays and scores, we'll never win till we start playing 60 minute football.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

salmar80 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 04:41
Some vlogger Herman saying MCL sprain for Elgton, which would be about the best case scenario as far as knee injuries go. Any confirmation?
That's the report that I see is circulating. I'm sure we'll find out later today.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2023 07:57
I don't see Andy Reid rant and rave, and go ape &%$@ with the reffs over calls that seemed borderline, and he's a X &O's type coach.

saying that, I'am starting to loose some faith in Lafleur, some of his called plays, or the design of them pre snap are such easy tells, if I know whats coming I'am sure the defense does, any called play for Dillon to run sideways is disaster.

this is a team we should have beaten, instead we watch as they score on 3 drives in the 4th while we went 3 and out, gave up 3 big chunk plays and scores, we'll never win till we start playing 60 minute football.
In all fairness, Andy Reid has had several blunders, multiple games where his team should have won but didn't, took him 20 years to win a Super Bowl as well. Not saying MLF will definitely win a Super Bowl either. Just keeping perspective.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I am probably one of the few, but I'll go on board to support Dillon. We saw him take several carries in a way that we would hope. He carried defenders for 6-8 yards. But he trips over our OLinemen or his own feet a couple of times and some won't forgive him for that. Yes, he can do better. But that's the reason he is RB2, not RB1.

I'm still waiting to see MLF use him on screen plays, as he has shown good hands and ability to run well in the open.

Dillon has always been about improving over the year, especially once the weather turns. This year is no different. He has never been the guy we wanted as premier RB. He is about getting the carries in the second half enough to ice the clock and wear down defenses.

The OLine blocked better for him yesterday than in week 1. Give it a little time.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Sep 2023 08:14
I am probably one of the few, but I'll go on board to support Dillon. We saw him take several carries in a way that we would hope. He carried defenders for 6-8 yards. But he trips over our OLinemen or his own feet a couple of times and some won't forgive him for that. Yes, he can do better. But that's the reason he is RB2, not RB1.

I'm still waiting to see MLF use him on screen plays, as he has shown good hands and ability to run well in the open.

Dillon has always been about improving over the year, especially once the weather turns. This year is no different. He has never been the guy we wanted as premier RB. He is about getting the carries in the second half enough to ice the clock and wear down defenses.

The OLine blocked better for him yesterday than in week 1. Give it a little time.
It pains me to say this because again, love the guy. But.....not tripping over your own feet or O-Linemen is a core functionality of a professional Running Back. It just can't happen at this level.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

APB wrote:
18 Sep 2023 07:28
texas wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

You witnessed an example that invalidates your premise just today (yesterday) in Arthur Smith (Falcons HC). Dan Campbell is another one.

I also think you're waaay over-simplifying things with those two basic classifications of coaching types.
I agree with your assertion on over-simplification of coaching types. From what I saw yesterday, Arthur Smith may be over-emotional, he certainly outdid MLF in Xs and Os coaching.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Acrobat wrote:
18 Sep 2023 08:23
Scott4Pack wrote:

It pains me to say this because again, love the guy. But.....not tripping over your own feet or O-Linemen is a core functionality of a professional Running Back. It just can't happen at this level.
I really like Dillon as a person too. But he reminds me too much of a peewee football player with the constant trips over his and other's feet.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
thats because he didn't get hit at the LOS, Dillon needs to stay clean till he builds up a head of steam, or he is toast, if ya hit dillon waist high he is a easy tackle, hit him shoulder high and he will carry you, 3.9 YPC is who Dillon tends to be.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Finally in my post game thoughts. Talk about just &%$@ the bed and letting one get away, man that was tough to watch in the 4th quarter. I know our offense went from respectable with a spattering of nice plays to complete nothing in that quarter, but Still blame the defense.

Some of our biggest players made the biggest mistakes. They went from great team effort, high energy, penetration, coverage, pursuit, tackling to lower energy, spattering of individual efforts, poor tackling, more passive type energy and play and we never could get it back. For that I blame coaches. that 3rd and 6 and we have Devondre 10 yards off Bijan lined up wide. Talk about a gimme $%@# defensive formation. I'm so sick of seeing that stuff. We were burying this team and then we just quit?

Then we have the missed opportunities and mistakes. Jaire, Quay, Gary. Obviously I blame the players

Offensively, Jordan played a pretty good game. Was really pretty accurate for much of it. Inexperience showed late but I expect that at times. If he learns from it we'll be fine. Oline was ok at times, not so good at others. Back to rotation of bodies again I guess. I didn't even know who was in half the time. Our young pass catchers continue to show experience is going to allow them to shine as bright as the receivers we had early in Rodgers career.

Dillon had some good runs, but he loses his footing too often and leaves a lot of yards on that field. I mean yeah, some of those where he lines up pads on a LB or safety and drives them backwards for another 3-4 yards is cool, but he's regularly leaving 3-4 more yards out there with poor reads, or slips/trips. I like him, good guy, runs hard, but keep your feet man.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

If I where Gutekunst I'd be on the phone this morning trying to deal for a 1/#2 RB and replace Dillon, the best way for us to defend the run is to be able to run ourselves, get a lead and force teams to play catch up, our defense gets gassed trying to defend the run, once gassed it gives up big chunk plays both running and passing.

plus our Taylor is a imposter for a RB, zero juice, Wilson is better, but still a jag, and Jones may have trouble staying healthy, who knows, and we'll have to snap count him anyway

Campbell was terrible in coverage and played the run poorly, Walker had 17 tackles according to a report I saw, to bad he didn't have 19 or 20, to make up for guys like Ford, Alexander, and some of the other grab tackle attempts that turned into chain movers and big runs.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I'll post more of my thoughts later, but this is just not a winning game plan on D.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 18 Sep 2023 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."