Week 2 Post-Game: Falcons 25 Packers 24

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2023 09:09
If I where Gutekunst I'd be on the phone this morning trying to deal for a 1/#2 RB and replace Dillon, the best way for us to defend the run is to be able to run ourselves, get a lead and force teams to play catch up, our defense gets gassed trying to defend the run, once gassed it gives up big chunk plays both running and passing.

plus our Taylor is a imposter for a RB, zero juice, Wilson is better, but still a jag, and Jones may have trouble staying healthy, who knows, and we'll have to snap count him anyway

Campbell was terrible in coverage and played the run poorly, Walker had 17 tackles according to a report I saw, to bad he didn't have 19 or 20, to make up for guys like Ford, Alexander, and some of the other grab tackle attempts that turned into chain movers and big runs.
I'm normally not all for this, and I think Dillon has absolutely zero trade value, but if there was a way that the Colts were to get desperate, I would actually be all about trying to get Taylor at a reasonable value. Atlanta showed yesterday what a great 1-2 punch can accomplish, and imagine what we could have on offense with Taylor and Jones and then Love winging it to our young group of talent at WR. One can dream.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

How does this team end up getting saddled with these pinhead defensive coordinators for years without any accountability? Between Capers with the 2-5 and Barry with his soft zone, it's enough to send a fan to the looney bin.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
18 Sep 2023 09:50
How does this team end up getting saddled with these pinhead defensive coordinators for years without any accountability? Between Capers with the 2-5 and Barry with his soft zone, it's enough to send a fan to the looney bin.
To build on the awful personnel decisions against certain formations, where did all the stunts go from Week 1?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 09:55
Captain_Ben wrote:
To build on the awful personnel decisions against certain formations, where did all the stunts go from Week 1?
Yup.

And, it seemed we kept a light box too often yesterday, as if the Ridder passing game was likely to beat us. We should’ve kept more men in the box for much of the game.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

APB wrote:
18 Sep 2023 07:28
texas wrote:
18 Sep 2023 01:45
lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Sep 2023 22:28
I thought this when we first hired LaFleur and heard him talk and I’ve said it multiple times here. He doesn’t strike me as someone I would follow into battle. He stutters all over the place when we talks. He talks bigger than he is but isn’t about what he says.

As a member of the military I have seen great leaders speak and seen wannabe leaders try to speak and regurgitate what better leaders have said and that’s what LaFleur reminds me off. He’s a guy who preaches playing hard but coaches a soft team and talks accountability but hires and maintains one of the worst defensive coordinators in the history of the league.
Can you elaborate on this? I tend to prefer the LaFleur type of HC over the rah-rah type of coach but maybe that's not what you're talking about. But in today's NFL it's definitely the smart nerdy guys, the Xs and Os coaches, that win rather than the tough guy, inspire the troops coaches. Like 100% of the time.
You witnessed an example that invalidates your premise just today (yesterday) in Arthur Smith (Falcons HC). Dan Campbell is another one.

I also think you're waaay over-simplifying things with those two basic classifications of coaching types.
I agree. Being a good X's & O's coach while motivating the team aren't mutually exclusive traits. Not saying MLF is a 'fire up the troops" kind of coach but they do exist.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

No missed tackles as well.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Sep 2023 08:14
I am probably one of the few, but I'll go on board to support Dillon. We saw him take several carries in a way that we would hope. He carried defenders for 6-8 yards. But he trips over our OLinemen or his own feet a couple of times and some won't forgive him for that. Yes, he can do better. But that's the reason he is RB2, not RB1.

I'm still waiting to see MLF use him on screen plays, as he has shown good hands and ability to run well in the open.

Dillon has always been about improving over the year, especially once the weather turns. This year is no different. He has never been the guy we wanted as premier RB. He is about getting the carries in the second half enough to ice the clock and wear down defenses.

The OLine blocked better for him yesterday than in week 1. Give it a little time.
:-)
I concur. Dillon is a good #2 RB. We have no viable #1 RB right now when Jones isn't playing.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Captain_Ben wrote:
Why didn't the genius LaCoach (or anyone for that matter) call a time out when De'Vondre was out there matched up on an island with Bijan? LaCoach was outcoached yesterday.........plain and simply outcoached. This coaching experiment is getting real stale real fast. Particularly when looking back at his 2-3 playoff record. Can we hire Deion Sanders and be done with it?

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Captain_Ben wrote:
The same way it ended up with pinhead Special Teams Coordinators for years without accountability?

Until it got so bad that the team finally ponied up for Bisaccia that is.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Captain_Ben wrote:
lousy talent was the biggest problem during the Capers years, we are running a 2-4/5 now, the problem is the passive zone coverages leave to much space for opposing receivers,

as to stopping the run, we just need better technique defending it, as Lombardi use to scream " grab, grab grab, all I see is you guys grabbing.

Robinson runs like a big Barry Sanders, we have to do better against guys like him.

this was a total 4th quarter let down, all 3 phases did poorly

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Anyone rewatch the film on that 3rd and 1? Sure looked to me like Dillon had the first down. Can't the coach request a measurement anymore? At least it may have given time for a replay to be shown and a possible challenge.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 11:12
Anyone rewatch the film on that 3rd and 1? Sure looked to me like Dillon had the first down. Can't the coach request a measurement anymore? At least it may have given time for a replay to be shown and a possible challenge.
Dillon got it once, on the 2nd his knee was down prior to the ball crossing the line, however not all camera angles showed the knee hitting first, mine did, doesn't sound as though yours did.

coach can call for a measurement any time, but on that occasion pretty sure it would have cost us a time out

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Someone asked the question a few months ago if we should draft Bijan Robinson if he falls to our pick.

With the exception of me and maybe one other person, everyone was like, no, we are set at RB. :lol: :oops:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2023 10:56
Captain_Ben wrote:
as to stopping the run, we just need better technique defending it, as Lombardi use to scream " grab, grab grab, all I see is you guys grabbing.
More than just that, the scheme was poor against ATL:

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Labrev wrote:
18 Sep 2023 11:35
Someone asked the question a few months ago if we should draft Bijan Robinson if he falls to our pick.

With the exception of me and maybe one other person, everyone was like, no, we are set at RB. :lol: :oops:
Tough to draft a player that wasn't available when we were on the clock.

Aaron Jones is a pretty good #1. Not sure how we are supposed to predict injuries.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lulu wrote:
18 Sep 2023 11:45
Labrev wrote:
18 Sep 2023 11:35

Tough to draft a player that wasn't available when we were on the clock.

Aaron Jones is a pretty good #1. Not sure how we are supposed to predict injuries.
I said "if he falls to our pick" so obviously it was a hypothetical, the like of which is a very common pre-draft Thought Exercise.

And while expecting to predict injury usually is not reasonable, RB is the one position where it is to be expected, and Jones in particular is known to miss a few games with injury every year, so actually yes, this is like the one time where injury is quite reasonably foreseeable.

LOL LULU! :rotf:

*edit*
But my point about those takes aging poorly has way less to do with Jones getting injured and way more to do with Dillon not being good enough. In retrospect, kind of laughable to pass up on a talent like Robinson with "nah, we have AJ Dillon."
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 10:15

No missed tackles as well.
And he almost had another pick! I like him getting his hands on the ball.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 11:43
Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2023 10:56
Captain_Ben wrote:
More than just that, the scheme was poor against ATL:
I’m not a coach. But I’d like to know what you guys see in this.

What I see is a light box (probably only 6 guys) and Bijan behind the QB. He can probably get to the LOS easily with this scheme. And then it’s easy enough for him to break a tackle and get at least 5 yards a pop. We need another heavy in there, especially if it’s 1st down or even 2nd. Third and long, maybe not. But I still think the Falcons run well enough that we should have at least 3 heavies on virtually every play. Then, keep the 7 or 8 in the box, preferring to stop the run and force Ridder to beat you passing.