AJ Dillion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

texas wrote:
18 Sep 2023 17:10
lake shark wrote:
18 Sep 2023 16:29
paco wrote:
18 Sep 2023 14:46
Tons of opinions on this one from people. But the 1 thing I want to see Dillon do in this case is just GO! I get blocking is breaking down and holes closing. This is where he just needs to go full steam ahead and run some people over. Run the place the play is designed to go. If the OL screws it up, so be it. If not, make Falcon pay.
Shoulda been challenged for spot, also Newman wtf
To me, this has been the thing I have been primarily blaming for the loss. The refs seemed to have a problem spotting the ball yesterday but AJ Dillon got the 1st down and then we just did that stupid clown show play on 4th without even considering that Dillon might have gotten it. Announcers and camera crew didn't even think of it either.
Announcers were crap. Not sure they caught a single thing, or got it completely wrong. When my wife picks up on that stuff, you know they are not on their game.
RIP JustJeff

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

paco wrote:
18 Sep 2023 17:48
texas wrote:
18 Sep 2023 17:10
lake shark wrote:
18 Sep 2023 16:29

Shoulda been challenged for spot, also Newman wtf
To me, this has been the thing I have been primarily blaming for the loss. The refs seemed to have a problem spotting the ball yesterday but AJ Dillon got the 1st down and then we just did that stupid clown show play on 4th without even considering that Dillon might have gotten it. Announcers and camera crew didn't even think of it either.
Announcers were crap. Not sure they caught a single thing, or got it completely wrong. When my wife picks up on that stuff, you know they are not on their game.
Yes, those announcers were terrible! I couldn't believe it when they starting saying on the 4th and goal at the one that maybe they were just trying to get the Packers to jump offsides. ???????

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Andy Herman did a TERRIFIC comparison between a "player A" and a "player B" yesterday on his Twitter feed. Of course, both players were RBs. One had a few more TDs than the other. But the 2nd had a few more catches and so forth. They ultimately were very comparable. Andy's poll for this was about which one you would pick if you had to choose.

Of course, one of the RBs was Dillon. The other was Jamaal Williams 2021-22.

Herman went into this thinking that Dillon's stats would be not as good as they were. But when he compared, he was surprised.

Few people had a problem with Williams being our RB2 (also behind Jones). But so many seem to be ready to lynch Dillon. Why is that? My guess is expectations. Many of us want and expect (demand?) Dillon to run like a bulldozer. And if he doesn't, then he should be cut, traded, or released.

I am of the mind that I like having Dillon as RB2. There are some plays where I would have liked him doing more. But I've also seen him struggling against schemes that don't suit him as well as others, blocking that should be better, and Dillon's own stumbles. After two games, I don't have major issues with this. He will improve as the season goes. That has been him every season so far. And I don't expect 2023 to be any different.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
19 Sep 2023 11:12
Few people had a problem with Williams being our RB2 (also behind Jones). But so many seem to be ready to lynch Dillon. Why is that? My guess is expectations. Many of us want and expect (demand?) Dillon to run like a bulldozer. And if he doesn't, then he should be cut, traded, or released.
Yes, that is most likely true...but it's also a fair expectation.

He was a high pick selected specifically, based upon his build and college tape, to fulfill that short yardage, get you a tough yard skillset. Turns out he's not very good at it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Scott4Pack wrote:
Few people had a problem with Williams being our RB2 (also behind Jones).
I was actually one of the few that had a problem with it. I used to call him JAGmaal on the old forum because I thought he was slow and entirely ordinary as a ballcarrier, absolutely nothing special to his game. 'Loved his enthusiasm and energy as much as the next guy, but I didn't want him to get more touches. I probably wanted him to get fewer than he was getting.

I will say, he looked way better last time I saw him (with DET) than any time I saw him with us. He'd have been better to have last year than Dillon, but even with hindsight, I probably would not have wanted to pay what was needed to keep him. I mean, even Detroit let him go after the season he just had for them. :idn:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Scott4Pack wrote:
Andy Herman did a TERRIFIC comparison between a "player A" and a "player B" yesterday on his Twitter feed. Of course, both players were RBs. One had a few more TDs than the other. But the 2nd had a few more catches and so forth. They ultimately were very comparable. Andy's poll for this was about which one you would pick if you had to choose.

Herman went into this thinking that Dillon's stats would be not as good as they were. But when he compared, he was surprised.

I was never a big Jamaal Williams guy either. No lynching needed for AJ. I just wish he was better and he is not. I have 0 confidence in him on 3rd or 4th and 1. That's the reason I even started the AJ Dillon (although i spelled his name wrong) thread before last Sundays game. It was a concern to me and he did nothing to change my mind. I do agree O line banged up could block better, but he just lacks that Juice we need when needed. IF Wilson knows any of the playbook and won't get Love killed I am all for giving him snaps.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Sorry for the error in the last post. IT makes it look like the last paragraph was the previous poster, when in fact was me trying to quote and then reply. Confusing I know. I figured it out now.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

MY_TAKE wrote:
19 Sep 2023 14:39
Sorry for the error in the last post. IT makes it look like the last paragraph was the previous poster, when in fact was me trying to quote and then reply. Confusing I know. I figured it out now.
FIFY :aok:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

It is my opinion that Dillon is a RB#2 and will never be more than that. Nothing wrong with RB#2 for a 6th round draft pick. But he was drafted high and so he is a disappointment.

Starting Wilson if Jones can't play seems reasonable to me. Rotate Dillon in if the play calls for the RB to block or if Wilson needs a breather.

fyi, Dillon is an unrestricted FA after this season.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

MY_TAKE wrote:
19 Sep 2023 14:37
Scott4Pack wrote:

I was never a big Jamaal Williams guy either. No lynching needed for AJ. I just wish he was better and he is not. I have 0 confidence in him on 3rd or 4th and 1. That's the reason I even started the AJ Dillon (although i spelled his name wrong) thread before last Sundays game. It was a concern to me and he did nothing to change my mind. I do agree O line banged up could block better, but he just lacks that Juice we need when needed. IF Wilson knows any of the playbook and won't get Love killed I am all for giving him snaps.
BTW, WELCOME to the forum!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

My Here's Johnny player in Week 3 is AJ Dillon.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Sep 2023 16:07
My Here's Johnny player in Week 3 is AJ Dillon.
haha, your chomping at the bit to take A J, I didn't realize you had been starting that thread, sorry :hail:

I think your safe though, A J has lost his luv from the group this week :dunno:

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

After being subjected to an entire game of Dillon, I now understand the reasoning behind being in on J Taylor much better now.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The thought crossed my mind that the team wanted to showcase Dillon last Sunday and basically advertise him to teams that are in the market for RB help, maybe Indy especially by getting another game like 2020 vs TEN or 2021 @ ARI. Sadly, Dillon's trade value probably took a major hit after that game. :oops:
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
19 Sep 2023 15:14
It is my opinion that Dillon is a RB#2 and will never be more than that. Nothing wrong with RB#2 for a 6th round draft pick. But he was drafted high and so he is a disappointment.

Starting Wilson if Jones can't play seems reasonable to me. Rotate Dillon in if the play calls for the RB to block or if Wilson needs a breather.

can you imagine how frustrating it is for Dillon, we are asking Dillon to do stuff that just doesn't suit A J's skill set, he's not a string it out, cut and instant top speed shoot the gap tailback, so here he is playing for a contract in run schemes difficult for him to excel at, he's a 800 yrd RB if ya ram him between the tackles, come on Matt.

jmo

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
19 Sep 2023 17:00
TheSkeptic wrote:
19 Sep 2023 15:14

can you imagine how frustrating it is for Dillon, we are asking Dillon to do stuff that just doesn't suit A J's skill set, he's not a string it out, cut and instant top speed shoot the gap tailback, so here he is playing for a contract in run schemes difficult for him to excel at, he's a 800 yrd RB if ya ram him between the tackles, come on Matt.

jmo
In some cases I would say maybe he’s not in the best situation but it can’t be denied he hasn’t developed as a runner.

He’s always run too high. Even in college and it’s why he goes down so easy. He does run behind his pads and he’s upright so he goes backwards easily on contact. Along with that his balance is &%$@. He was put in position to succeed if he just runs forward, puts his shoulder into someone and goes forward. Instead he either slipped or looked to get under the pile which o can’t imagine anyone being that dumb…

Henry isn’t a guy who really has a ton of speed either but Tennessee loves getting him to the edge because they know he’s tough to bring down and they’re looking to get him against a DB. Dillon should be able to go lateral and find his lane and burst upfield. The problem is he is looking to jump cut multiple times and navigate through the line and he doesn’t have the short area quickness for that. He doesn’t see his own strengths and weaknesses and that is something that I put blame on the coaches for.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Labrev wrote:
19 Sep 2023 16:58
The thought crossed my mind that the team wanted to showcase Dillon last Sunday and basically advertise him to teams that are in the market for RB help, maybe Indy especially by getting another game like 2020 vs TEN or 2021 @ ARI. Sadly, Dillon's trade value probably took a major hit after that game. :oops:
I doubt we are advertising to teams that need RB help when we are the ones who need RB help. Even before Dillons bad game we were down Jones with a soft tissue injury. That can take months.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

What’s he doing?
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

AJ Richardson
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Sep 2023 08:05

What’s he doing?
I like Herman but this is a dumb tweet. There are two LBs sitting in that hole waiting to tackle him if he goes that way. Musgrave blew the block and his guy got the tackle. The hole between Musgrave and Wicks was just as good as the hole between Runyan and Newman if Musgrave holds his block.

And Andy addressed it by saying Runyan should have gotten Werner at the second level--sure, but he didn't. And there was another player right behind them.

See illustration:
image.png
image.png (542.56 KiB) Viewed 5359 times