2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

nothing wrong with quarters coverage, but ya have to honor the motion, that strong side safety has to creep towards that motion as soon as the man in motion takes off, ours sit like robots till the catch, by then there to late.

and this has become who this defense is, far to much thinking versus simply reacting, players are some to blame, but mostly this falls on poor coaching.

same with some of the stupidity in the front 7, the next time we change DC's I hope we let the new guy bring in his own assistants versus recycling guys like last in the league run cord/and DL coach Montgomery.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
19 Sep 2023 07:30
BF004 wrote:
19 Sep 2023 07:13
I guess when we are this talented a team, individually, for so long, where is the mismatch.

Looking like X’s & O’s for the most part. Guys are where they need to be more often than not. Don’t think that is the issue. But at some point between LaFleur and Barry, why are guys continually on the ground during run plays, why do they continually have bad tackling form and missing tackles, why do they continually lack motivation, why do guys continually not control their gaps, why do they continually get punched but can’t punch back?
:idn: You solve that and we may win a Super Bowl.
You look at the ST coaches we have had and compare that to Rich and it seems somewhat obvious. On defense and ST, attitude and boisterousness matter. On offense, I actually think it’s detrimental. On defense, I think we need a coach who will kick the teeth in of his players who are not doing what is expected of them.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Nothing wrong with quarters coverage when used properly, as in end of half/game or when you are afraid of getting beat over the top repeatedly but still stopping the run. There is absolutely something wrong with playing it when they haven't really threatened over the top and you are getting gashed in the run game.

FYI, if a safety creeps down to the motion, then it is no longer quarters coverage, it would be cover 3. In this case that would have been much preferable to the quarters coverage we were in.

As a whole this play is completely indicative of poor coaching. There are only 2 plausible scenarios: 1. The defense was played as called. 2. The players didn't adjust to the motion properly. Either way, poor coaching.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

For as much as we lay into Joe Barry, he should get some credit when it comes to getting after the QB.

Now, if he could just turn those pressures into sacks or TFLs, he’d be doing something…

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
20 Sep 2023 19:58
For as much as we lay into Joe Barry, he should get some credit when it comes to getting after the QB.

Now, if he could just turn those pressures into sacks or TFLs, he’d be doing something…

Saints are a much better opponent, especially without Kamara and Williams, for a D who specializes in pass rush, but can’t stop the run. Vs Atlanta

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Against any team like the Saints, (average OLine, a QB who likes to throw vertical), I want this D to score three INTs. Nothing less will do. We can hope our pressure package makes their passing game a bunch of mush. And Jaire needs to make something happen. Our LBs/DBs have two dropped INTs from last week to make up for too.

After the dismal showing last week, this D should have a chip and feel they need to prove something.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

All the Barry hate is misguided. This guy is easily the best DC we have had since honestly pre-MM. You can make a case Dom in 2010 was a lot better, but the problem with Dom's resume overall was the rest of his tenure.

We've all seen what a bad defense look like, and this isn't it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

texas wrote:
22 Sep 2023 21:40
All the Barry hate is misguided.
Plenty of proof that it is warranted.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Sep 2023 21:54
texas wrote:
Doubtful. Based on what I have seen come before him, I am content with sticking with him.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

texas wrote:
22 Sep 2023 23:24
Pckfn23 wrote:
texas wrote:
Doubtful. Based on what I have seen come before him, I am content with sticking with him.
Just take a look at this thread. There are questionable tactics from Barry that should be basic football.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

texas wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
texas wrote:
Anyone to second this?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Half Empty wrote:
23 Sep 2023 08:59
texas wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Anyone to second this?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Half Empty wrote:
texas wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Anyone to second this?
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

I suspect that most football fans prefer to watch their team’s offense on the field. I don’t want to introduce too much negativity, but our defense, for many years has been inconsistent. It always concerned me when AR would air out and get the quick score. How could the defense sustain quality performance, especially playing the dreaded “bend but don’t break” D. :thwap:

It has been a long time since the Packers have had a dominating defense. A defense that any fan would be anxious to see on the field.

At the start of this year, I thought our D had all of the elements in place to be very good: the D line, LBers, DBs and safeties - lots of talent. I was excited that now it will be more fun to watch the D show superiority. The first seven quarters of this year were pretty good. That soft D by our DBs late in the ATL game is inexcusable and frustrating to watch.

I believe that the D can perform at a high level, maybe in part it’s about being 100% healthy.

Would be nice if this D could achieve the domination that I believe it can. Will be fun to watch!! :munch:
GO PACK GO!!!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
23 Sep 2023 12:16
I suspect that most football fans prefer to watch their team’s offense on the field. I don’t want to introduce too much negativity, but our defense, for many years has been inconsistent. It always concerned me when AR would air out and get the quick score. How could the defense sustain quality performance, especially playing the dreaded “bend but don’t break” D. :thwap:

It has been a long time since the Packers have had a dominating defense. A defense that any fan would be anxious to see on the field.

At the start of this year, I thought our D had all of the elements in place to be very good: the D line, LBers, DBs and safeties - lots of talent. I was excited that now it will be more fun to watch the D show superiority. The first seven quarters of this year were pretty good. That soft D by our DBs late in the ATL game is inexcusable and frustrating to watch.

I believe that the D can perform at a high level, maybe in part it’s about being 100% healthy.

Would be nice if this D could achieve the domination that I believe it can. Will be fun to watch!! :munch:
I've always felt it is a waste of resources attempting to build the top 5 defenses simply because it is so very difficult to do or to retain season to season, not that it can't be done, but unless your hit rate drafting defenders is impeccable it will come at the expense of offensive talent, which imho is what happened with us since 2014.

on offense ya can get by with a weaker position or two, on defense any weak position becomes exploited

right now this defense has talent, there is no reason for what we to often see, cushion coverage on 3rd and 4th down,so much nickel scheme, Barry has to do better, or we need to make a change.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

The D gave up only 10 points today.

I will acknowledge that Carr went out injured, the Saints were on their 3rd string RB, and lost a Guard during the game.

But to that I say so what, you play whomever is on your schedule and today the D played well enough to win against a mediocre offensive unit.

Wold love to see more of this type of play on Thursday.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Half Empty wrote:
texas wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Anyone to second this?
Nope.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

251 total yards allowed. 4 for 14 on third downs.

Today the defense performed.

I’ve seen the saints play before, and their offense Is a herky jerky mess.

But you play who’s in front of you and our D did their job for the most part.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

D has been good 11 out of 12 quarters.

Biggest test coming up Thursday, so far.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Sep 2023 21:23
251 total yards allowed. 4 for 14 on third downs.

Today the defense performed.

I’ve seen the saints play before, and their offense Is a herky jerky mess.

But you play who’s in front of you and our D did their job for the most part.
Most important stat is the Packers won in spite of 3 bad quarters bu the O. Only gave up 10 points. No team should ever lose if their D only gives up 10 points.