General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
19 Aug 2020 09:51
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Aug 2020 09:39
Yoop wrote:
19 Aug 2020 08:53

I always hoped Burks would take and keep the ILB 2 spot the last couple years, now this gives some incite to why that didn't happen, hopefully he stays healthy and does so this year, physical ability makes him one of the best prospects we've had in many years, he and KIrksey together could make ILB a very good unit for years.
Nitschke made it to the Hall of Fame playing on one leg. And Butkus made it to the Hall of Fame playing with no knees. So what's the problem here?
the establishment, and the ability to lift 325 lbs, I think thats it.
OK......that's it :slapfight:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Aug 2020 17:54
Yoop wrote:
19 Aug 2020 09:51
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Aug 2020 09:39

Nitschke made it to the Hall of Fame playing on one leg. And Butkus made it to the Hall of Fame playing with no knees. So what's the problem here?
the establishment, and the ability to lift 325 lbs, I think thats it.
OK......that's it :slapfight:
haaaaa, someone said 50 years and you know that aint half wrong, both Nitch and Butkus where ancient, and got away with playing gimpy at the end in a heavy run first era, neither would be on the field on 3rd down in this one :aok:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
19 Aug 2020 07:10
lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Aug 2020 21:01
NCF wrote:
18 Aug 2020 15:01
Random observation. Has anyone dropped out of practice or had to leave a game more than Za'Darius Smith? Seems like he is always giving us something to hold our breath for.
He always fights through it though. Mamba mentality. There’s no quit in his game. Respect the toughness.
I'm being completely honest with myself, the optics appeared there were times he took the liberty of making a "nick" appear worse than it was. Because again the optics.

He usually got hurt when the defense was gassed and the opposing offense had good momentum and we needed a breather. Oh and it was always never within 2 minutes where we would actually need to use a timeout.

A lot of friends of other teams noticed and I can't say they were wrong.
Definitely some of Z's and Preston's ailments looked like tactical "soccer injuries" to me, just at the right time when the D needed a rest, tho they were pretty good at selling them. Could face ridicule from their peers and the public if they keep doing it or if there's a blatant case.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I've seen some talk that the Packers might move on from Linsley before the season starts.

Could save 8.5 million in cap this year.

How would you guys feel about moving on from him now if it means we can then keep two of Bak, Jones and/or King next offseason?

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
18 Aug 2020 15:01
Random observation. Has anyone dropped out of practice or had to leave a game more than Za'Darius Smith? Seems like he is always giving us something to hold our breath for.
Outside of our QB's, nobody made me hold my breath more than Clay Matthews. Every time he went down: "It's a hammy, I just know it".
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
20 Aug 2020 10:38
I've seen some talk that the Packers might move on from Linsley before the season starts.

How would you guys feel about moving on from him now if it means we can then keep two of Bak, Jones and/or King next offseason?
woah, fascinating.

It'd be an intriguing move, given that Patrick and Hansen are seeing some legit practice time with Linsley sitting out one day so far (and maybe today, not confirmed yet).

That said, it'd touch to break in maybe 3 new OL from the C over this year with all the talk about the outside zone becoming more comfortable and familiar, not to mention a nice comp pick... and not to mention that now is a rough time to willingly part with veteran depth given the uncertainties this season.

I guess I would forgive it, understand it, and we could overcome it... but I wouldn't advise it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:

Related:
image.png
image.png (60.35 KiB) Viewed 736 times

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Aug 2020 10:41
BF004 wrote:

woah, fascinating.

It'd be an intriguing move, given that Patrick and Hansen are seeing some legit practice time with Linsley sitting out one day so far (and maybe today, not confirmed yet).

That said, it'd touch to break in maybe 3 new OL from the C over this year with all the talk about the outside zone becoming more comfortable and familiar, not to mention a nice comp pick... and not to mention that now is a rough time to willingly part with veteran depth given the uncertainties this season.

I guess I would forgive it, understand it, and we could overcome it... but I wouldn't advise it.
I could maybe get behind it, especially with Jake waiting in the wings.

The problem is, despite what you hear about Hanson's consistency - we don't have a clue who he's lining up against in camp currently for fans to make a good judgement.

Unless they're wanting to go throw some more money around/Jake looks like the real deal.... otherwise, yeah.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

All I'm saying is that if we go from
2019 Bakh - Jenkins - Linsley - Turner - Bulaga to
2020 Bakh - Patrick - Jenkins - Taylor - Turner

OLine has gone from insane strength to unknown likely weakness.

Feels like they got these guys in the draft now because they might take a year; leap of faith toe elevate everyone immediately

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Aug 2020 10:51

Feels like they got these guys in the draft now because they might take a year; leap of faith toe elevate everyone immediately
I guess I would assume Patrick is at center and Jenkins stays put.

And with the cohesion part or whatever, Patrick isn't entirely new either.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
20 Aug 2020 10:54
YoHoChecko wrote:

I guess I would assume Patrick is at center and Jenkins stays put.

And with the cohesion part or whatever, Patrick isn't entirely new either.
I guess if there was ever a guy that I would assume could step in and replace, it would be at the center position. Seems like it would be the "easiest" transition.

My only concern has been with RT, to no surprise.

The whole group won't be completely new, so I still think we'd be fine. We thought the same thing every time we replaced someone like a Rivera, Wahle, Taylor, Lang...
RIP JustJeff

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

more on EQ here
He's smart as hell, straight A student, speaks multiple languages and knows how to study a playbook. He's also in tip top shape
And while there isn't a lot of tape, he showed quite a bit in his rookie season- making a clutch catch in crunch time and also delivering some exciting YAC.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/0 ... -st-brown/

"While he lost valuable on-field experience, St. Brown used the time away to master the mental side and gain comprehensive knowledge of LaFleur’s detailed playbook.

It didn’t go unnoticed.

“He knows the finer details, and I thought that was pretty impressive, especially since he missed all of last season,” LaFleur said. “So, I just think that flexibility gives us a tremendous weapon. And not to mention, he’s a long guy that’s got a really good catch radius, and he’s got really good speed.”
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:
20 Aug 2020 11:05
I guess if there was ever a guy that I would assume could step in and replace, it would be at the center position. Seems like it would be the "easiest" transition.
I agree about C, but not when the OG on one side is also potentially being replaced and not that good. And the RT. Let's just say my level of concern about the OL would go from a 2 out of 10 to a 5 out of 10 in Linsley is gone before this season. I think we have the guys to fill the void, but I'm not sure we have them ready and enough depth to part with a top-3 player on a 5-man unit.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Aug 2020 11:18
TheGreenMan wrote:
I agree about C, but not when the OG on one side is also potentially being replaced and not that good. And the RT. Let's just say my level of concern about the OL would go from a 2 out of 10 to a 5 out of 10 in Linsley is gone before this season. I think we have the guys to fill the void, but I'm not sure we have them ready and enough depth to part with a top-3 player on a 5-man unit.
No, I get it. I just wish I could actually see who Jenkins is on the field with when they're hyping his camp, that way we could get a better understanding of the fatty talent in front of him.

I think my biggest thing with new centers, isn't so much the pass blocking or the run blocking, but that repertoire with the QB. It's the miscues, snap counts, and just... the feel... of that ... dudes hands.. on the butt.
RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

TheGreenMan wrote:

The whole group won't be completely new, so I still think we'd be fine. We thought the same thing every time we replaced someone like a Rivera, Wahle, Taylor, Lang...
Adrian Klemm, Matt O'Dwyer, and Will Whittaker say hi

Just giving you a hard time GreenMan :lol:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
20 Aug 2020 12:58
TheGreenMan wrote:

Adrian Klemm, Matt O'Dwyer, and Will Whittaker say hi

Just giving you a hard time GreenMan :lol:
:nono: :lol:

Okay, so it didn't pan out as quickly as we'd hope. Spitz and Colledge a couple of years later did pretty decent though.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Wells wasn't bad either, but Whitt definitely was rough replacing Rivera.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:

Which was exactly my point in that "window" rant I went on. It looks even worse if we don't bring back Bakh or Linsley next year (or even if we bring back Linsley but no back Bakh).

I like the idea of making any moves to keeping Bakh. But man I just think having the entire right side of the line be new for 2020 would be a major mistake.

BUT. We have been here before. Corey Linsley took the starting role in 2014 and we never looked back.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
20 Aug 2020 14:48
Which was exactly my point in that "window" rant I went on. It looks even worse if we don't bring back Bakh or Linsley next year (or even if we bring back Linsley but no back Bakh).

I like the idea of making any moves to keeping Bakh. But man I just think having the entire right side of the line be new for 2020 would be a major mistake.

BUT. We have been here before. Corey Linsley took the starting role in 2014 and we never looked back.
Eh, I'm not concerned about NEXT year. Next year we'll have a top-90 NFL Draft pick competing at OT, Hansen and Runyan will have a year in the system and the league under their belts (and the team will know more about them), and that injured guy from Indiana or wherever will be competing for the job of less-athletic OL bully. Just bring back Bakh and whoever survives the Right Side Wars of 2020 and we're good.

I'd just be very nervous about Runyan and Hansen being a play away from starters in a COVID-influenced rookie season.

I'd get reluctantly on board IF Bakh gets extended, Jones gets extended, and they sign either Harrison or Dareus at DT... AND if instead of cutting him, they trade him to the Giants or Dolphins or some other team with cap space and bad C options so we get like a 2021 5th or 6th as a return.

As for King, I genuinely don't think we can afford to keep King and Alexander in the secondary moving forward, so I'll pick Alexander and let King walk. I think re-signing Jones with a RB full of rookie and minimum deals still can keep the position relatively cheap through three years of the deal.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Still trending in the right direction. Hopefully returning to school doesn't blow this all up.
image.png
image.png (90.5 KiB) Viewed 687 times

But son of a bitch, knock on wood, we might just be able to start football in 3 weeks. :banana: