Love SZN: Official Thread of QB1.

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Sep 2023 19:18
Love looks decent so far. Really needs to improve his completion percentage. It’s not sustainable what he’s doing and I’m worried once he gets paid and his team talent take a hit he will look like a Derek Carr. He has improved past my Cutler comparison because he’s very safe with the ball minus one mistake so far.

Accuracy is still a major problem for him though.
There were three balls on key downs I thought were gotta have it balls.

1. 3rd down around the 20 right after the Alexander missed INT. Love threw a perfect ball right side of the EZ. Wicks just couldn't come up with it.
2. 3rd down on the final drive - threw to Doubs on the left side but over shot Doubs
3. 4th down on the final drive - threw a good ball to Toure in a tough spot. Catchable ball.

He defintely has a ways to go, but he was 2 for 3 on gotta have it balls. I think he could use more zip on his ball and throw with more authority. But I absolutely see something with this guy.
Last edited by go pak go on 18 Sep 2023 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
18 Sep 2023 19:56
lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Sep 2023 19:18
Love looks decent so far. Really needs to improve his completion percentage. It’s not sustainable what he’s doing and I’m worried once he gets paid and his team talent take a hit he will look like a Derek Carr. He has improved past my Cutler comparison because he’s very safe with the ball minus one mistake so far.

Accuracy is still a major problem for him though.
There were three balls on key downs I thought were gotta have it balls.

1. 3rd down around the 20 right after the Alexander missed INT. Love threw a perfect ball right side of the EZ. Wicks just couldn't come up with it.
2. 3rd down on the final drive - threw to Doubs on the left side but over shot Doubs
3. 4th down on the final drive - threw a good ball to Toure in a tough spot. Catchable ball.

He defintely has a ways to go. I think he could use more zip on his ball and throw with more authority. But I absolutely see something with this guy.
If you are using those three plays as samples, I think Love did about as well as anybody could do on two of those. Especially on the last pass, he literally threw Toure open (in a big way).

But the point you are making is that Love has room to grow and I totally think that virtually everybody would agree. In that fourth quarter, there were a few examples where Love and his receiver were clearly on different sheets of music.

BTW, where was Musgrave in the 4th quarter? I know he's a rookie, but a big, fast TE needs to become a QBs best friend at crunch time. I didn't even see whether he was on the field then or not.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Musgrave is gonna take some time. Love his athleticism but he needs to learn defensive concepts and coverages. Travis Kelce isn’t some crazy freak. Neither was Witten. These guys just no where to sit against zone to get the ball.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Remember when Rodgers was good but the team went 6-10 and so for the whole next season when Rodgers was better and the team was better the big media narrative qwas "can Rodgers win the important games" and "does he know how to win" and then they made the playoffs and it was an insane shootout against the Cardinals where the Packers scored, I think 49 points, but then a defender grabbed Rodgers' fb, stripped the ball, and returned it for the game-winning TD and people were like "see? Rodgers can't win when it matters....."

That is going to be the narrative of a young team with an inexperienced QB until it isn't. We're entering like 18 months of "but does he know how to win?" and "can he get it done when the chips are down?"

Some people show up with that. MOST develop it, especially on the league's youngest team.

Yesterday, the team didn't know how to win and Love didn't hit a couple plays he needed when the team just needed a first down or a FG drive. But he also played winning football, putting up 24 points on the road; moving the ball consistently for 2.5 quarters. Love is right on track, with some growing pains and room for improvement. This young team around him is promising, but today they let us down, as they will sometimes.

And I'm VERY mad about the Bakh situation being what it is at his price. When Jenkins went down, instead of having an all pro next to the sub, we had a backup left side of the line. Hated it.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Haven't brought this up much, because I am a Love homer and haven't had any idea how to explain this. This helps, a little bit, though.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Sep 2023 22:48
Remember when Rodgers was good but the team went 6-10 and so for the whole next season when Rodgers was better and the team was better the big media narrative qwas "can Rodgers win the important games" and "does he know how to win" and then they made the playoffs and it was an insane shootout against the Cardinals where the Packers scored, I think 49 points, but then a defender grabbed Rodgers' fb, stripped the ball, and returned it for the game-winning TD and people were like "see? Rodgers can't win when it matters....."

That is going to be the narrative of a young team with an inexperienced QB until it isn't. We're entering like 18 months of "but does he know how to win?" and "can he get it done when the chips are down?"

Some people show up with that. MOST develop it, especially on the league's youngest team.

Yesterday, the team didn't know how to win and Love didn't hit a couple plays he needed when the team just needed a first down or a FG drive. But he also played winning football, putting up 24 points on the road; moving the ball consistently for 2.5 quarters. Love is right on track, with some growing pains and room for improvement. This young team around him is promising, but today they let us down, as they will sometimes.

And I'm VERY mad about the Bakh situation being what it is at his price. When Jenkins went down, instead of having an all pro next to the sub, we had a backup left side of the line. Hated it.
Word is that Bakh's knee swelled up and his not starting was not his choice. And now Jenkins is out for several weeks. :evil:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’ll believe that Bak not playing is knee related and not playing surface related until I have a reason to believe otherwise. But that is honestly just as frustrating that his knee still isn’t healthy.

I think YoHo was implying that too, just mad that damn thing isn’t better yet. And zero indication it will ever be reliable on a weekly basis.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Sep 2023 17:32
Love is doing about as well as he can be at this point, I’d say. He is poised and knows the scheme very well. He makes his progressions pretty well. His accuracy throwing looks good so far, and even excellent at times.

About the only thing he hasn’t flashed so far is an ability to overcome in the fourth quarter. And that needs time to ferment and take shape.

I’m thinking we found a keeper!
That aged well! ;)

I agree every word. I have seen nothing yet to say that he can't be great, and I have seen things to say that he might be.

One thing to consider is the lack of experienced receivers to throw to. Rodgers, for example, had Greg Jennings and Donald Driver to throw to in his first season. That's bound to improve the completion percentage to some extent.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, obviously, the completion percentage has to improve (and by a lot, too)

You just can't move the ball efficiently and consistently with such a low mark. But even MLF said in the postgame, as many of us surmised, the inexperience at WR and lack of playing time together is impacting that with things like guys taking different angles on routes than are anticipated or desirable... or miscommunications like on Patrick Taylor's 4th down flub (which no one assigned any blame to despite everyone involved being asked who was at fault).

The ball placement and overall accuracy needs to tick up from Love, but a lot will also be accomplished by playing time, familiarity, and chemistry. It's something I feel confident will improve somewhat with time and experience. How much? Not sure. Enough? I really think so.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

dsr wrote:
25 Sep 2023 07:07
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Sep 2023 17:32
Love is doing about as well as he can be at this point, I’d say. He is poised and knows the scheme very well. He makes his progressions pretty well. His accuracy throwing looks good so far, and even excellent at times.

About the only thing he hasn’t flashed so far is an ability to overcome in the fourth quarter. And that needs time to ferment and take shape.

I’m thinking we found a keeper!
That aged well! ;)

I agree every word. I have seen nothing yet to say that he can't be great, and I have seen things to say that he might be.

One thing to consider is the lack of experienced receivers to throw to. Rodgers, for example, had Greg Jennings and Donald Driver to throw to in his first season. That's bound to improve the completion percentage to some extent.
Yes!

I really didn’t think I was speaking like a prophet. But football has a funny way of making things happen. One report (I don’t know how trustworthy) said that Love now has led as many 4th quarter comebacks against WINNING teams as Rodgers. That’s hard for me to believe. I’ll just accept yesterday as a great comeback and epic game.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

No way to get Shorts directly onto the page, so a link will have to do:

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ross Uglem is going on a huge Twitter tear of posting all of Love's "inaccurate" balls (many debatable) and saying he's not good enough and unlikely to improve (but hopes he's wrong)

And that's a really weird way to spend Victory Monday

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Sep 2023 14:58
Ross Uglem is going on a huge Twitter tear of posting all of Love's "inaccurate" balls (many debatable) and saying he's not good enough and unlikely to improve (but hopes he's wrong)

I think accuracy can absolutely be improved on in this day and age and I think you see with guys like Josh Allen.

I do think you gotta keep in mind it’s his first year with a rotating OL so far and random assortment of rookies and 2nd years and practice squad players he’s throwing to. That’s still just an excuse, but a very real one. And one I think will correct a lot of ‘bad’ balls with experience and timing and trust and continuity, etc.

We are pretty much going to have this exact same receiving group, maybe only improve upon, for the next 3 years. Those things are going to get a lot better.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

BF004 wrote:
25 Sep 2023 15:08
YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Sep 2023 14:58

I think accuracy can absolutely be improved on in this day and age and I think you see with guys like Josh Allen.

I do think you gotta keep in mind it’s his first year with a rotating OL so far and random assortment of rookies and 2nd years and practice squad players he’s throwing to. That’s still just an excuse, but a very real one. And one I think will correct a lot of ‘bad’ balls with experience and timing and trust and continuity, etc.

We are pretty much going to have this exact same receiving group, maybe only improve upon, for the next 3 years. Those things are going to get a lot better.
Yeah and I'm sure some of it is shared responsibility. I'd be shocked if our young WR core ran every route perfectly and pristine. I did roll my eyes when Ross tweeted that accuracy can't be fixed. I think that's BS. Love throws a lot of accurate balls, it's more about consistency. Does it need to be fixed? Yes. Is it fixable? Absolutely.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Here is the weird part, this ball was tipped:

There were several tipped balls yesterday.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 25 Sep 2023 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Is Uglem seriously criticizing this? His words are ambiguous. Wild form, but it's right on the money (and totally something young Favre would've done, and Mahomes still does.)

EDIT: Also:

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I don’t think Uglem is criticizing it. I think he is hyping up him ripping it with a side arm.

To me that’s a late throw. He throws that sooner and it’s an easy TD. Instead he throws it behind which credit does protect his receiver but only because he saw it late.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Never mind. I didn’t see the rest of the thread. I mean I’m with Uglem that loves accuracy is straight up bad.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Sep 2023 15:25

thanks for confirming what I saw, #1 had a hand in the face mask, a arm hold, or his body interfering on most of pass he defended