Love SZN: Official Thread of QB1.

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Sep 2023 15:42
Never mind. I didn’t see the rest of the thread. I mean I’m with Uglem that loves accuracy is straight up bad.
I agree that the completion percentage is straight up bad.

The accuracy is too inconsistent with some spotty ball placement.

But as I have been saying--and said to Ross on Twitter--part of that is Love needing to work on consistency and accuracy which may or may not ever improve.

But part of it is assuredly that he is a first-year starting QB playing without WR1 and RB1, with rookies and second-year players making up the bulk of his targets and all parties--MLF, Love, and guys doing detailed breakdowns--agreeing that there are some issues with communication and expectations for how routes will be run and which angles players should be taking when they make their breaks, etc.

Those things will definitely improve in time. That's how the completion percentage goes up even if the accuracy doesn't improve at all.

Further still, Love's average depth of target leads the league. It is well known that longer passes have lower completion percentages. That, too, is a factor that will revert to the mean.

Love is currently 13th is passer rating and 8th in QBR. The team is 2-1. Everything that people said was going to be detrimental to Love--the inexperienced weapons, the injuries, the two road games to start the year--applies. And then when he plays at that level, people complain.

I just can't get my mind around being so negative that you're a fan of the Packers and not excited about Jordan Love and complaining about him more than praising him. Like half the NFL world--from random friends at the bars to guys who do detailed analysis of QB play that have played football in the NFL--are buzzing about this kid, and here we have guys like Lupe and Ross going out of their way to point out the negatives.

The completion percentage is bad. The accuracy is spotty. And he's still doing awesome and looks incredibly promising as an NFL QB.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

:lol: lupe doesn't know how to celebrate wins now that he can't go "OH!!! Rahjahs!! He won the game all on his own!"
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
25 Sep 2023 16:50
:lol: lupe doesn't know how to celebrate wins now that he can't go "OH!!! Rahjahs!! He won the game all on his own!"
Ha, could you IMAGINE the reaction if Rodgers led an 18-point come from behind victory against a D that hasn't allowed more than 20 points in a game since November 7th the previous year?

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Sep 2023 17:05
Labrev wrote:
Ha, could you IMAGINE the reaction if Rodgers led an 18-point come from behind victory against a D that hasn't allowed more than 20 points in a game since November 7th the previous year?
"Rodgers just added another legendary moment to his HOF career"

"Never would have had to come to this if the front office had just given him more weapons and not wasted his prime"

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Sep 2023 16:21
Further still, Love's average depth of target leads the league. It is well known that longer passes have lower completion percentages. That, too, is a factor that will revert to the mean.
I meant to bring this is up too.

I’m okay with the lower completion percentage, personally, if we are slinging it. I think he is top 10 in adjusted yards per attempt. I think you keep that up, I’m fine if we get completion % closer to like 60-62% eventually if we keep pushing it like we are.

Edit**

9th in adjust yards per attempt, 2nd in yards per completion.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Gutebumst and LaCuck should be thanking Aaron and lapping up his urine, or something weird, for bailing him out again despite all their inept failures.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

YoHoChecko wrote:
And, incidentally, a defence that had given up just 1 (one) touchdown in the first two games?

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Acrobat wrote:
25 Sep 2023 15:15
I did roll my eyes when Ross tweeted that accuracy can't be fixed. I think that's BS. Love throws a lot of accurate balls, it's more about consistency. Does it need to be fixed? Yes. Is it fixable? Absolutely.
Agreed. No QB in history is at his peak in his fourth NFL start. He can always get better.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Sep 2023 16:21
I just can't get my mind around being so negative that you're a fan of the Packers and not excited about Jordan Love and complaining about him more than praising him. Like half the NFL world--from random friends at the bars to guys who do detailed analysis of QB play that have played football in the NFL--are buzzing about this kid, and here we have guys like Lupe and Ross going out of their way to point out the negatives.
Praising Love would mean he'd have to reevaluate the entire years-long narrative he's built concerning not only Love as an inept player but also MLF as an incompetent HC and Gutebumst as a poor evaluator of talent. Particularly, acknowledging Gutebumst's balls to stick to his convictions despite the public gyrations of a aging diva HOF QB demanding a say in the direction and player acquisition decisions of the organization would be sacrilege.

Those foundational narratives have already been solidified in granite. No going back now...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

dsr wrote:
25 Sep 2023 18:12
Acrobat wrote:
25 Sep 2023 15:15
I did roll my eyes when Ross tweeted that accuracy can't be fixed. I think that's BS. Love throws a lot of accurate balls, it's more about consistency. Does it need to be fixed? Yes. Is it fixable? Absolutely.
Agreed. No QB in history is at his peak in his fourth NFL start. He can always get better.
Yeah, when he rolled out the "he's in year 4; tough to improve from there" narrative as if his year 4 is a typical year 4.... major eye roll.

Just a weird tangent.

Like I don't think anyone is of the mind that no improvement is needed. But harping on it in that elongated pronounced way with loads of pessimism sprinkled into the commentary about it... like I said: an odd way to spend a victory Monday, particularly this Victory Monday.
image.png
image.png (2.16 MiB) Viewed 902 times

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Love may never reach the heights of quarterbacking of Rodgers, but he sure feels like a winner, and the team stands behind him like Finnish stable bedrock.

The most important thing to me is that Love isn't limited by anything, and therefore can threaten to pass deep, can threaten to run, can threaten to scheme a trick play. That makes it so tough on the D.

If he misses a throw here and there, it's OK, hopefully that improves with experience and getting aces back to health. Overall, $%@# Jefferson, we somehow drafted the best thing!

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Sep 2023 21:05
Love may never reach the heights of quarterbacking of Rodgers, but he sure feels like a winner, and the team stands behind him like Finnish stable bedrock.

The most important thing to me is that Love isn't limited by anything, and therefore can threaten to pass deep, can threaten to run, can threaten to scheme a trick play. That makes it so tough on the D.

If he misses a throw here and there, it's OK, hopefully that improves with experience and getting aces back to health. Overall, $%@# Jefferson, we somehow drafted the best thing!
It's an interesting conversation! I was talking with a buddy after the game, what if Love wins and MVP or a Super Bowl? Suddenly he becomes the best draft pick in the 2020 draft, one which is widely known as a horrible Packers draft class.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Sep 2023 21:05

please refrain from mentioning Justin Jefferson in the same sentence as Jordan Love, it throws me in a tiffy still to this day :rotf:

I know if Love pans out the decision worked, still we needed what JJ brought as a rookie, obviously I think grooming rookie QB's is the right way to do it, but is the golden rule 3 years or just 2, I still think drafting Love (or any QB) when we did was premature, jmo. :idn:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Average Depth of Target:
Jordan Love - 10.55
DeShaun Watson - 9.76
Jalen Hurts - 9.53
Ryan Tennehill - 9.34
Derek Carr - 9.05
Tua Tagovailoa - 9.05

No other QB is above 9 with more than 16 attempts.

Adding in youth and a general lack of consistency in ball placement, I see that his completion percentage can improve.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2023 09:22
I know if Love pans out the decision worked, still we needed what JJ brought as a rookie, obviously I think grooming rookie QB's is the right way to do it, but is the golden rule 3 years or just 2, I still think drafting Love (or any QB) when we did was premature, jmo.
Look at the QBs who were drafted late enough that the Packers could have had a chance at them since 2020, though, and you'll see that the golden rule of 3 years or 2 (which isn't a rule; no one but us does this anymore, anyway), and it seems clear that we have the best possible option right now.

In 2021 5 QBs went before pick 16. We picked 29th

Kyle Trask (64th)
Kellen Mond (66th)
Davis Mills (67th)
Ian Book (133rd)
Sam Ehlinger (218th)

In 2022, Kenny Pickett went 20th. We had the 22nd pick from the Raiders, so theoretically could have moved for Pickett. But here are the ones that went after that (current NFL starters in bold)

Desmond Ridder (74th)
Malik Willis (86th)
Matt Corrall
Sam Howell (144th)
Bailey Zappe (187th)
Chris Oladokun? (241st)
Skylar Thompson (247th)
Brock Purdy (262nd)

And of course in 2023, where again a glut (4) of QBs went out of our reach even with a high pick this year. Here's who went next:

Will Levis (33rd--3rd string)
Hendon Hooker (68th - PUP due to a known injury)
Jake Haener (No. 127)
Stetson Bennett (No. 128)
Aidan O’Connell (No. 135)
Clayton Tune (No. 139)
Dorian Thompson-Robinson (No. 140)
Sean Clifford (No. 149)
Jaren Hall (No. 164)
Tanner McKee (No. 188)
Max Duggan (No. 239)

Now I certainly like some of the guys from this year's class, but it's way too early to know if they will work out and none would likely be ready to have stepped in now.

So yeah, it's easy to say "maybe we took Love too early" but goodness if we hadn't, what would post-Rodgers Green Bay look like?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Sep 2023 09:37
Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2023 09:22
I know if Love pans out the decision worked, still we needed what JJ brought as a rookie, obviously I think grooming rookie QB's is the right way to do it, but is the golden rule 3 years or just 2, I still think drafting Love (or any QB) when we did was premature, jmo.
Look at the QBs who were drafted late enough that the Packers could have had a chance at them since 2020, though, and you'll see that the golden rule of 3 years or 2 (which isn't a rule; no one but us does this anymore, anyway), and it seems clear that we have the best possible option right now.

In 2021 5 QBs went before pick 16. We picked 29th

Kyle Trask (64th)
Kellen Mond (66th)
Davis Mills (67th)
Ian Book (133rd)
Sam Ehlinger (218th)

In 2022, Kenny Pickett went 20th. We had the 22nd pick from the Raiders, so theoretically could have moved for Pickett. But here are the ones that went after that (current NFL starters in bold)

Desmond Ridder (74th)
Malik Willis (86th)
Matt Corrall
Sam Howell (144th)
Bailey Zappe (187th)
Chris Oladokun? (241st)
Skylar Thompson (247th)
Brock Purdy (262nd)

And of course in 2023, where again a glut (4) of QBs went out of our reach even with a high pick this year. Here's who went next:

Will Levis (33rd--3rd string)
Hendon Hooker (68th - PUP due to a known injury)
Jake Haener (No. 127)
Stetson Bennett (No. 128)
Aidan O’Connell (No. 135)
Clayton Tune (No. 139)
Dorian Thompson-Robinson (No. 140)
Sean Clifford (No. 149)
Jaren Hall (No. 164)
Tanner McKee (No. 188)
Max Duggan (No. 239)

Now I certainly like some of the guys from this year's class, but it's way too early to know if they will work out and none would likely be ready to have stepped in now.

So yeah, it's easy to say "maybe we took Love too early" but goodness if we hadn't, what would post-Rodgers Green Bay look like?
good points, however would it now be post Rodgers if we had waited, who knows, also Rodgers did last till the end of the first just as LOve did, Favre was more expensive, my point is I always expected we'd have to trade up for our next one, and I don't mean with a 4th to get to slot 26, in truth I figured we'd be trading up to top 10 slot to get him.

so in that sense Love did fall into our lap, specially so if he becomes a great QB, then we got a steal. :)

I watch some of the vikings games, just so I can watch Jefferson run pass routes :)

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Sep 2023 09:27
Average Depth of Target:
Jordan Love - 10.55
DeShaun Watson - 9.76
Jalen Hurts - 9.53
Ryan Tennehill - 9.34
Derek Carr - 9.05
Tua Tagovailoa - 9.05

Adding in youth and a general lack of consistency in ball placement, I see that his completion percentage can improve.
Good point. Maybe MLF is not yet opening the entire playbook to Love, but depth of throw isn't the reason. He's actually passing with aggressive play calling. I think that speaks a lot to the confidence that the coaches have in him and that he also has in himself.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Sep 2023 09:27
Average Depth of Target:
Jordan Love - 10.55
DeShaun Watson - 9.76
Jalen Hurts - 9.53
Ryan Tennehill - 9.34
Derek Carr - 9.05
Tua Tagovailoa - 9.05

Just wait until Watson returns. That number isn't going to get lower!
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

For reference, our average depth of target last season was 8.01.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."