Week 3 Post-Game: Packers 18 Saints 17

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I had almost forgotten about this play.

Keisean Nixon on offense...yes, please!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Sep 2023 20:45
APB wrote:
24 Sep 2023 18:33
Curious what the group here thought of the decision to go for 2 pt conversion down 17-9?

Gotta say, I was a bit taken aback by that call. The traditional call is to kick the XP. Worked out pretty good, though, gotta say!
There seems to be a “new wisdom” that when you score to be down by 8, then you go for 2. There are some articles out there about it, if you want to search it up.
Stumbled upon this.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

[mention]lupedafiasco[/mention] :dance:

Oh, and he forgot Zach Tom.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

great come from behind confidence building game, it just seemed like we flipped a switch at the end of the 3rd quarter, no more penalties, Love found his arm, receivers started catching every pass thrown there way, the first 3 quarters where ugly, the last was a work of art.

so impressed with the finish, and that through it all we never gave up, this was a huge confidence booster :aok:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

From Matt Schneidman's The Athletic game summary write-up:
Following the 2-pt conversion to pull within 6 points:

On the ensuing kickoff, safety Darnell Savage Jr. shot out of a cannon to take down Shaheed at the 17-yard line. The crowd really popped after that, Savage flexing to the home fans with the Packers fully revived.

“I don’t want to get too deep into what it was, but hopefully (special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia) will give me a few more of those,” Savage said. “I just trusted it. We kind of ran it at practice all week. I didn’t know if he was actually gonna call it. He did. We got the exact look we were waiting on, so all I had to do is make the tackle and I did. As far as how it felt, it felt really good. Lambeau was really loud after that. It was a special moment.”
Anybody have a twitter cut of that play? Anybody see anything in particular that Savage is referring to?

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Talk about a juxtaposition of games. last week I was pretty happy for 3 quarters and disappointed we found a way to lose at the end. This week, play like a sloppy undisciplined team leaving plays and yards all over the field at will for 3 quarters and then found a way to win at the end.

I guess I prefer the latter, but then I'd prefer the former but find a way to close them because yesterday wasn't a recipe for long term success LOL

But for everything I didn't like early in the game, they cleaned right up and fixed and hit late in the game under a lot of pressure. That was great to see from this young team and our young QB.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Sep 2023 17:08
paco wrote:
24 Sep 2023 17:00
He is better than most. He has the fire of Favre and the ability of Rodgers. 3 in a row baby!
I wouldn't go that far. Love still has accuracy problems, especially with the deep ball. But he is really good at almost everything else.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I want to make some notes because while we were down 17-0, I made a post at halftime that we just weren't converting key situations and they were. There was the punt return and the short-field TD after a failed 4th down attempt that was a comedy of errors on a great play call.

But the stats were fairly even. We weren't being badly outplayed so much as we were beating ourselves with penalties and mistakes in key moments.

So then we came back and won and it felt like it came out of nowhere and we snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. On the scoreboard--where it matters--that was true.

But look at the game stats. We were a better team.

We had more first downs.
We had more passing first downs, the same number of rushing first downs and more first downs gained through penalties (3 to 1)

We had more total yards.
We had more plays. We had more yards per play
We had more rushing yards. We had more passing yards.
We had more rushing yards per play (thanks Jordan Love) and more passing yards per play.

We allowed fewer sacks (4-1)
We gave up fewer penalty yards (!)
We had more red zone trips (3-2) and better red zone success (66% to 50%)

They won the turnover battle (1-0), time of possession (27:25 - 32:35), and had fewer penalties (7 - 11)

That's it. We were the better team by virtually every measure. They did a better job converting it into points early. We did a better job converting it into points later. And we won.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
25 Sep 2023 06:58

And like, really Myers and Daguara?

oy

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
25 Sep 2023 11:57
APB wrote:
25 Sep 2023 06:58

And like, really Myers and Daguara?

oy
I think Deguara thought Myers had that guy and when he missed, he got turned around trying to do something. Had the potential for more if they did better.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
25 Sep 2023 12:03
I think Deguara thought Myers had that guy and when he missed, he got turned around trying to do something. Had the potential for more if they did better.
I agree that Dehuara probably thought Meyers had that guy, but I also think that when you have two guys pulling, the inside guy should likely take the inside guy (Meyers goes to #27) and Deguara should have gone for the outside guy (#32 who split the two blockers).

I see how the confusion happened because if Walker, I think, had stayed on 27 then Meyers should take 32. But I think the play works better if Meyers goes with 27 (which he did) and Deguara takes 32 (which he did not) and Walker peels downfield and looks for more defenders (which he did not)

The fact that Walker tried to stay on 27 might mean that it was technically Meyers who missed the assignment, but I also think if that was the case he was making up for Walker's guy coming free and taking the threat he could best neutralize out of the equation.

So without knowing what they're coached to do or how this is supposed to work, I choose to blame Deguara on that one.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

That's gotta be Deguaras guy who knifes in there. They are trying to seal the edge and Myers doesn't have the leverage on that outside guy to do that.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

wallyuwl wrote:
25 Sep 2023 11:34
TheSkeptic wrote:
He is better than most. He has the fire of Favre and the ability of Rodgers. 3 in a row baby!
I wouldn't go that far. Love still has accuracy problems, especially with the deep ball. But he is really good at almost everything else.
Favre had some bad accuracy in his youth - almost so fired up he overthrew everything until he got hit a few times and calmed down. Aaron was accurate as hell always, but his first season he had really crappy pocket awareness. Love has strengths those two didn't have right away but of course his legacy rests on how well he can develop his long ball accuracy. He's already looking incredible at intermediate range with his ball placement.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

mnkcarp wrote:
25 Sep 2023 18:13
wallyuwl wrote:
25 Sep 2023 11:34
TheSkeptic wrote:
Favre had some bad accuracy in his youth - almost so fired up he overthrew everything until he got hit a few times and calmed down. Aaron was accurate as hell always, but his first season he had really crappy pocket awareness. Love has strengths those two didn't have right away but of course his legacy rests on how well he can develop his long ball accuracy. He's already looking incredible at intermediate range with his ball placement.
Nicely said :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Elite safety Rudy Ford 8-)

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

First bad games for JRJ and Quay, to my understanding.

I wonder if guys going down around them have started to disrupt their games--Tom leaving at RT next to JRJ (but probably too late to make a difference I guess) and Campbell next to Quay.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Man I really hope Rasheed Walker keeps building on his performance.

It would be really awesome if he turns into a player we can be confident in going into next season. Surprised by the amazing Ford grade. Also didn't really see lot from Campbell. Thought he could have done more on the Graham TD.

Also think Heath has been disappointing in his limited time. A bad drop yesterday. Think our top 4 WR lineup is pretty much set once Watson starts playing again. Toure is a nice #5.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Why was Quay’s grade so low? I didn’t notice anything egregious about his play…?