Week 3 Post-Game: Packers 18 Saints 17

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Anyone else confused why the saints were awarded a sack when Love didn’t go down from the corner blitz until he threw it away? He wasn’t really held up long enough to call forward progress stop and the cb looked smaller than him and no one else was close so in the grasp would seem weird. Took us out of possible field goal range.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lake shark wrote:
25 Sep 2023 22:22
Anyone else confused why the saints were awarded a sack when Love didn’t go down from the corner blitz until he threw it away? He wasn’t really held up long enough to call forward progress stop and the cb looked smaller than him and no one else was close so in the grasp would seem weird. Took us out of possible field goal range.
I was in a bar so couldn't hear but it almost certainly had to be an in-the-grasp ruling, which is a judgment call and non-reviewable. I bet they blew a whistle, too.

Could have been Intentional Grounding. Dillon was in the area leaking out but the throw was really desperate and nowhere near him, looked to still be in the pocket, and didn't cross the l.o.s.

So maybe wouldn't have mattered.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The throw was actually very close to Dillon. It one bounced to him.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

So far, so good. 2-1 and tied for 1st in the NFC North is about what I hoped for at this point.

The rookies all look good. Love looks to be a leader and a competent QB who does not make stupid mistakes and is #6 in adjusted QB Rating. Gary is on path to be elite again. Watson and Jones return soon. Walker has exceeded all expectations as a LT and looks to be the LT of the future. Even Savage is playing well.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

mnkcarp wrote:
25 Sep 2023 18:13

Favre had some bad accuracy in his youth - almost so fired up he overthrew everything until he got hit a few times and calmed down. Aaron was accurate as hell always, but his first season he had really crappy pocket awareness. Love has strengths those two didn't have right away but of course his legacy rests on how well he can develop his long ball accuracy. He's already looking incredible at intermediate range with his ball placement.
Favre always came out too juiced and had to tone down the canon. Sometimes I think Jordan is too lax and cool and ball placement gets "lazy". Probably not the right word, but i'm using it. When he senses a bit more urgency, he's still cool, but looks more crisp and accuracy improves.

Now I hardly have any games to draw that conclusion, but that's my story for now.

He's shown good ball placement, but he's had enough that weren't that show he has a ways to go as well. He can be good, he's shown that. but there are tiers to being an NFL QB. You have the guys that just aren't good. Can't read a defense and unless someone is wide open, hardly can complete a pass unless the WR is a making a highlight reel catch.

Then you have those guys that are good, can run the offense and usually throw the ball in a catchable vicinity/area and you win some and lose some. This is where I see Jordan right now in his young career.

Then you have the guys like Brady, Rodgers Favre, Mahomes, etc. Not only can they make the WTF throws look easy a couple times a game. The routine passes that the good guys will throw catchable but also defensible, the elite throw to the place that allows them to catch and keep running with no chance for the defense to make a play.

He's not there yet. But he and his young pass catchers are showing enough that experience might just turn them into that sooner than later.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Kinda wild to me that a three-sack game only gets you a 77.8 grade, and it's not like he was taking very many other snaps to bring the grade down, certainly nothing egregious that stands out from those other snaps like him blowing contain against Ridder last week.

I couldn't tell you why Quay Walker's grade is so low, either.

It's times like these that I remember hearing that PFF is corrupt, i.e. some players grease their palms to get favorable reviews. I guess some of our guys are not wise to the game yet. :o
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
26 Sep 2023 07:10
It's times like these that I remember hearing that PFF is corrupt, i.e. some players grease their palms to get favorable reviews. I guess some of our guys are not wise to the game yet. :o
It's starting to become more and more questionable. I think I may refrain from anything that cites PFF, going forward.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Apparently JRJ was the oldest packer on offense, at 26, lol

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Sep 2023 09:35
Great play by Love. LaFluers comments about this were that some stat guy told him to go for 2 and that he didn’t think he had a good play call but let it continue anyway (wtf?). Basically gave props to Love who got the job done by himself.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

lake shark wrote:
26 Sep 2023 12:34
Pckfn23 wrote:
*Tweet*
Great play by Love. LaFluers comments about this were that some stat guy told him to go for 2 and that he didn’t think he had a good play call but let it continue anyway (wtf?). Basically gave props to Love who got the job done by himself.
Yeah, props to Love. I was curious about that play so here's the quote from LaFleur:

https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-pack ... rdan-love/
And LaFleur explained how the call came to be made, deferring credit to quarterbacks coach Connor Lewis and the belief in the team’s new starter, Jordan Love.

“I have this guy Connor Lewis in my ear, nonstop, saying, ‘Go for 2, go for 2,’” LaFleur said. “To be honest with you, I didn’t feel great about the play call. The execution definitely was not how we practiced it. But I had a lot of belief in how our quarterback was playing. … If the initial read isn’t there, you got a guy that can go off-schedule. And that’s what happened, he went off-schedule. The motion, the timing of the motion certainly was not right.”
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
26 Sep 2023 13:03
lake shark wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
*Tweet*
Yeah, props to Love. I was curious about that play so here's the quote from LaFleur:

And LaFleur explained how the call came to be made, deferring credit to quarterbacks coach Connor Lewis and the belief in the team’s new starter, Jordan Love.

“I have this guy Connor Lewis in my ear, nonstop, saying, ‘Go for 2, go for 2,’” LaFleur said. “To be honest with you, I didn’t feel great about the play call. The execution definitely was not how we practiced it. But I had a lot of belief in how our quarterback was playing. … If the initial read isn’t there, you got a guy that can go off-schedule. And that’s what happened, he went off-schedule. The motion, the timing of the motion certainly was not right.”
I'm assuming LaFleur is referencing how the defense aligned led him to not feel great about the play call.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Sep 2023 13:28
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
26 Sep 2023 13:03
lake shark wrote:

I'm assuming LaFleur is referencing how the defense aligned led him to not feel great about the play call.
I don't know, but based on what he said to Larry McCarren after the game, I took it that way too.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

You’re welcome…

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

For what it’s worth, based upon the axis sources:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Sep 2023 21:51
I saw that but glad to get a slow-mo

I'm almost impressed, actually, at how close it seemed to be to working. What would that even have looked like?

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I have to believe a memo has been sent to out to all teams about throwing things in the air during kicks. I don't care if there is a "rule" on paper specifically stating that or not. a 2 year old should be able to reason that doing that is in total conflict with the spirit of the game and competition and should probably result in a timeout at the very least. What a hack.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Didn't notice it at the time, but the Love rushing TD was read option. Seen more of that season, so a change from previous years.