Week 4 Post-Game: Lions 34 Packers 20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

We opened the game with zero runs and all drop back pass for at least the first 2 series and dug a hole before we knew what hit us. Without a turnover and easy points by doing nothing on offense the game could have gotten more ugly more quickly.

And another thing, if you’re going to continuously bring the ball out, better be consistently hitting the 25 yard line or better. Getting stopped before the 20 isn’t helping

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

From Bill Huber's post-game write-up addressing Aaron Jones' use in the offense:
After Rudy Ford opened the game with an interception, the Packers started at Detroit’s 16. Jordan Love, with nobody open and under duress, threw a ball toward Jones on first down. On second down, Love was sacked. On third-and-19, Love completed a short pass to Romeo Doubs to set up a field goal.

After Detroit answered with a touchdown, Love was sacked on first down and threw incomplete on second- and third-and-16.

After Detroit scored another touchdown, LaFleur did run the ball. Though not with Jones. AJ Dillon gained 7 yards on two carries and Love threw incomplete with pressure in his face on third-and-3.

After Detroit tacked on a field goal to lead 17-3, Love’s first pass of the ensuing possession was tipped and intercepted. Two plays later, Detroit was in the end zone and celebrating a 24-3 lead.

Not even 17 minutes into the game, the NFC North showdown essentially was over by technical knockout without Jones getting the ball a single time.

Finally, on the first play of Green Bay’s fifth possession, Jones took the handoff and fought for 5 yards. The crowd cheered sarcastically. On second down, LaFleur for the second time this season rolled out an old-school quarterback option. For the second time this season, the play was blown up. Love flipped the ball to Jones, who was blasted by cornerback Cam Sutton for a loss of 2. Love threw incomplete on third down.
I mean, post-injury or not, that's just not winning football. MLF relents not being able to run the ball yet he didn't even try, and when he did, he trotted out his plodder back Dillon. The game was well out of hand by the time MLF got Jones his first touch. That's insane.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
29 Sep 2023 06:54
We opened the game with zero runs and all drop back pass for at least the first 2 series and dug a hole before we knew what hit us. Without a turnover and easy points by doing nothing on offense the game could have gotten more ugly more quickly.

And another thing, if you’re going to continuously bring the ball out, better be consistently hitting the 25 yard line or better. Getting stopped before the 20 isn’t helping
true, I was referring to later, I agree the first series we should have started trying to run, but DEtroit is good against the run, so that was reflected in the game plan

Nixon hasn't had near as good of blocking this season as he did last year, agree, if it's in the EZ then take the touch back.

really seeing some poor decision making, both coaching and player's

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Not sure if others saw it, but Jones was getting wraps around his leg in between drives. I have a feeling he wasn't 100% in the game and that's partially why we didn't see him much (maybe reaggrevated it?)
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

musclestang wrote:
29 Sep 2023 06:54
I think it's pretty clear the ST coaching staff has given Nixon the green light to take every returnable kick out. Given the ability he's shown for the big play, I can't fault them for that. And to be honest, whether the Packers started from the 20 yd line or 50, their offense wasn't generating much of anything until the game was well out of hand.

Nixon hasn't gotten a big return, yet, but I'd just as soon he keep giving it a go. Him getting stopped at the 20 isn't such a big deal whereas him breaking off a big one would be. Those 5 yards are relatively inconsequential.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

MLF is being exposed for the fraud he is.

It would be nice if the team was ready to play when the game starts, not at the beginning of the second half.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
29 Sep 2023 07:06
Not sure if others saw it, but Jones was getting wraps around his leg in between drives. I have a feeling he wasn't 100% in the game and that's partially why we didn't see him much (maybe reaggrevated it?)
that would explain why Jones didn't get the early touches, and our first several runs Matt used Dillon

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Regarding the criticism of Nixon and the kickoff return team in general.

Packers starting position following Detroit kickoffs:
GB 20 (Nixon return)
GB 21 (Nixon return)
GB 10 (penalty)
GB 25 (touchback)
GB 25 (touchback)
GB 14 (penalty)
GB 17 (Nixon return)
On the opening kickoff after halftime, Nixon broke a 41 yd return but it was called back for holding and the drive started at the 14.

Overall, I'm seeing a mix of touchbacks and returns that, unless there's a penalty, net near the same as a touchback. Yeah, there's certainly room for overall improvement, especially with the penalties, but I'd just as soon see Nixon continue to be aggressive with bringing them out with the hopes he breaks one...and it not be called back.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I was at the game. The amount of fans wearing blue was unacceptable.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
29 Sep 2023 07:22
Regarding the criticism of Nixon and the kickoff return team in general.

Packers starting position following Detroit kickoffs:
GB 20 (Nixon return)
GB 21 (Nixon return)
GB 10 (penalty)
GB 25 (touchback)
GB 25 (touchback)
GB 14 (penalty)
GB 17 (Nixon return)
On the opening kickoff after halftime, Nixon broke a 41 yd return but it was called back for holding and the drive started at the 14.

Overall, I'm seeing a mix of touchbacks and returns that, unless there's a penalty, net near the same as a touchback. Yeah, there's certainly room for overall improvement, especially with the penalties, but I'd just as soon see Nixon continue to be aggressive with bringing them out with the hopes he breaks one...and it not be called back.
another way to look at it is we gave up 43 yrds of field position by Nixon running them out, if our blocking isn't opening up run lanes, which it isn't doing well, and players are causing penalties, then maybe the smart move is to just take the touch backs till we can get that right.

jglovia
Reactions:

Post by jglovia »

More than unacceptable it was downright disgusting! I thought last years was bad when they all moved by the set at the end of a crushing loss to cheer. But there had to be 30000 lions fans! Not exaggerating, I ah was really great shot of the field and all the blue when I go through our footage.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

jglovia wrote:
29 Sep 2023 08:09
More than unacceptable it was downright disgusting! I thought last years was bad when they all moved by the set at the end of a crushing loss to cheer. But there had to be 30000 lions fans! Not exaggerating, I ah was really great shot of the field and all the blue when I go through our footage.
I really wish there was a way to strip the tickets those fans that sell...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

The common theme in big games is coming out flat or not matching the other teams intensity. That's a coaching problem. I do question ML lately. Keeping Berry was insanely stupid. This guy is the laughing stock of the league. Nobody respects berry and his players don't even support him. I don't know the answer if he was canned tomorrow but it should have happened week 18 last year

The game plan this week was crap also. You get some playmakers back and Jones doesn't touch the ball til the 5th drive. If he's playing play him I don't want to hear about protecting him if he's suites up. ML needs to find himself. The team lacks identity bc the coach doesn't have one

The Packers got their asses kicked in the trenches on both sides. Yes they have good players but so do we and the team that wanted it more took the other guys lunch. It was bad bad and these grown men should be embarrassed. Momentum matters but so does old fashioned intensity and effort. Quay and Gary were the only guys I saw that played with some fire.

A lot of things didn't go our way and sometimes that's the story of football but other times you make your breaks. The lions made theirs and GB didn't.

This team was/is idk but they were SOFT last night. I don't think the lions are way more talented then GB. It was coaching and effort.

GB has some time to find themselves over the next few weeks. The coaches really need to figure it out

Beat the Raiders and start the 2nd quarter of the season against 3 crap teams in raiders broncos and Vikings

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Holy hell. Partially the personnel, but also equally how attacking the Lions were. They penetrated hard, pun intended, from the first snap.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I have agreed in the past with the narrative that GB fails to match the intensity of more physical opponents, are too soft and finesse-oriented.

But I don't feel like that explains last night's loss. We just had a supremely idiotic gameplan on both sides of the ball.

Barry goes nickel on 11 personnel, and MLF was basically playing Madden (never run the football, chase big pass plays all game, respond to pressure by just having the QB run for his life). We could not have had a worse gameplan for this opponent.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Disregard the comment, just watch this one. Newman getting manhandled. Walker doing ok, but then giving up the edge (would have been able to push him by if Newman not beaten like a red headed step child). Tom getting walked back. To top it off Runyan bein pushed into the pile late. 4 guys attacking with impunity.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

:bkw: :bkw: :kaboom: :kaboom: