Week 4 Post-Game: Lions 34 Packers 20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
29 Sep 2023 08:25
I have agreed in the past with the narrative that GB fails to match the intensity of more physical opponents, are too soft and finesse-oriented.

But I don't feel like that explains last night's loss. We just had a supremely idiotic gameplan on both sides of the ball.

Barry goes nickel on 11 personnel, and MLF was basically playing Madden (never run the football, chase big pass plays all game, respond to pressure by just having the QB run for his life). We could not have had a worse gameplan for this opponent.
the game planer is op ta goo, gone, no longer here, now we have Matt who is finally allowed to instill his brand of offense, which at times has been very offensive to the naked eye :rotf:

thing is ol Matt doesn't buy the groceries, and his OL really let him down last night, pretty hard to lay all the blame at Matts feet.

just wait though someone here will bring some PFF ratings and the OL will be forgiven.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Sep 2023 08:14
jglovia wrote:
29 Sep 2023 08:09
More than unacceptable it was downright disgusting! I thought last years was bad when they all moved by the set at the end of a crushing loss to cheer. But there had to be 30000 lions fans! Not exaggerating, I ah was really great shot of the field and all the blue when I go through our footage.
I really wish there was a way to strip the tickets those fans that sell...
For sure. Like I sell my tickets sometimes but I always make sure it goes to someone in GB. I post them on Facebook and they're usually gone within a day. It's just lazy people putting them on Ticketmaster trying to make a buck.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Sorry, more thoughts. There is talk of soft and weak and such, but I am not convinced that is the case so much as an over arching philosophy. I think we are risk averse and have been for so long because we have been good for so long. Why take chances when things have essentially been working. 1996 was year 4 after sucking for decades. We came out and had nothing to lose. 2010, we had 2007, but 2005, 2006, and 2008 weren't great with 2009 finding our stride a bit and we were transitioning the team. 2010 we had young talent and nothing to lose. Other than last year, we haven't had a ton of "aversity" outside of 2018 when we have had our QB. I get the sense that in the last 25 years we have had few exceptions where we want to risk it all on the field and just go after teams, for better or worse. Last night, what I saw from the Lions was as risky as it gets, IF we could have handled their aggressiveness and took advantage. This is mostly looking at defense because it set to the tone for their offense to be able to run it 40 times. At the same time we again trotted out the same 2 gap run defense and soft zone pass defense. They on the other hand came in with a penetrating, 1 gap run defense that carrier over into pass rush and a press man pass defense design to take away quick reads. They got beat 2 times all night because of it, QB Draw, and deep to Reed. I hope you got the gist as it was more stream of consciousness, but essentially I am saying we have been content for almost 25 years to let offenses make mistakes instead of forcing offenses into mistakes.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
29 Sep 2023 07:08
musclestang wrote:
29 Sep 2023 06:54
And another thing, if you’re going to continuously bring the ball out, better be consistently hitting the 25 yard line or better. Getting stopped before the 20 isn’t helping
I think it's pretty clear the ST coaching staff has given Nixon the green light to take every returnable kick out. Given the ability he's shown for the big play, I can't fault them for that. And to be honest, whether the Packers started from the 20 yd line or 50, their offense wasn't generating much of anything until the game was well out of hand.

Nixon hasn't gotten a big return, yet, but I'd just as soon he keep giving it a go. Him getting stopped at the 20 isn't such a big deal whereas him breaking off a big one would be. Those 5 yards are relatively inconsequential.
Fully concur. Let him run every kick out from 5 yards deep in the endzone or less. At this point in the season we'll take and need any spark we can get.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I just don’t think anyone on the coaching staff can fire these guys up. LaFleur is a great schemer and has a good offensive mind but I don’t think he inspires these guys to play physical. Since he’s taken over this team has routinely been dominated by anyone willing to run the ball. I don’t think he holds players accountable either. Barry last year got all his good ideas from the players. We see him stick with bad offensive and defensive lineman all the time. He needs to get his head out of his ass and toughen these men up.

As for Love what is the purpose of sitting a guy 3 years if he still isn’t ready to play? He’s in accurate as all hell, he should panics in the pocket, and he takes bad sacks. I think when he gets a good play schemed up for him he’s fine figuring out where to throw it but even then it’s all over the place with his inaccuracy.

And for the mastermind himself. Brian Gutenbumst. So many awful decisions coming to roost. That 2020 draft class looks abysmal. We went out and got Quay and Wyatt to transform the run defense and Quay is looking good this year but to get Wyatt who was already 24 years old at the time and have him be this bad is insane. Then you have the move to convert salary into bonus for Bak when he was having tons of complications is beyond me.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

texas wrote:
28 Sep 2023 23:03
We had too many guys out to get too down about this. I think if we are at full strength, they're still a better team, but not by that much. Every time we lose DeVondre, it really hurts us more than people realize, even if at this point he is 2nd fiddle to Quay. Missing our top 2 CBs. Missing our top 2 OL and our 3rd best is hobbled. Our RB is being eased back in after an injury.

We simply are too shorthanded, which can be overcome against middling teams like ATL and NO (and bad teams like CHI), but not good teams like DET.

They were better than us, but in reality it was really just a few big plays in this game that made the difference, almost all of which went against us:

Goff INT (our favor)
Rasul going for the pick and missing it, giving up a big 1st down (their favor)
Rasul slipping and allowing a TD (their favor)
Refs missing a big hold on one of their big gains en route to a TD (their favor)
Love INT (their favor)
Refs missing the clock going to 0:00 (our favor)
Love INT in the red zone (their favor)
Quay giving them 4 points and 2 minutes via penalty (their favor)

All that said, we get our guys back, and we clean up some of the miscues, and it's a pretty even game imo. Then if they instead get the bad luck instead of us, we win.
YEAH BUT ........... What guys are truly coming back that can truly right this ship besides All-Pro #23 Jaire? Who/when will the sieve offensive line be corked. Even Aaron Jones coming back full strength can't fix this sieve offensive line. Gutey needs to go find some offensive linemen ala Bruce Wilkerson pronto.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 29 Sep 2023 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Gunzaan wrote:
29 Sep 2023 07:09
MLF is being exposed for the fraud he is.

It would be nice if the team was ready to play when the game starts, not at the beginning of the second half.
That is so freakin' and disgustingly spot on Gunz. The concept of pre-game preparation must not be on the coaching staff office daily agendas. They currently totally lack basic game preparation skills. I feed bad for the players that they have to play with such inept coaches.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
29 Sep 2023 07:22
Regarding the criticism of Nixon and the kickoff return team in general.

Packers starting position following Detroit kickoffs:
GB 20 (Nixon return)
GB 21 (Nixon return)
GB 10 (penalty)
GB 25 (touchback)
GB 25 (touchback)
GB 14 (penalty)
GB 17 (Nixon return)
On the opening kickoff after halftime, Nixon broke a 41 yd return but it was called back for holding and the drive started at the 14.

Overall, I'm seeing a mix of touchbacks and returns that, unless there's a penalty, net near the same as a touchback. Yeah, there's certainly room for overall improvement, especially with the penalties, but I'd just as soon see Nixon continue to be aggressive with bringing them out with the hopes he breaks one...and it not be called back.
another way to look at it is we gave up 43 yrds of field position by Nixon running them out, if our blocking isn't opening up run lanes, which it isn't doing well, and players are causing penalties, then maybe the smart move is to just take the touch backs till we can get that right.
Nope. 43 yards is insignificant in the grand scheme of a 60 minute game. And the sizzle/spark factor that happens when Nixon breaks one supersedes any and all 25 yard line or less starting position statistics. We'll take any and all sparks that we can muster up :argue:
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 29 Sep 2023 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

When the Packers showed signs of a possible comeback in the second half, the kitty fans went remarkably quiet. The sense was that they really don’t have a lot of confidence in their team.
GO PACK GO!!!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Sep 2023 08:14
jglovia wrote:
More than unacceptable it was downright disgusting! I thought last years was bad when they all moved by the set at the end of a crushing loss to cheer. But there had to be 30000 lions fans! Not exaggerating, I ah was really great shot of the field and all the blue when I go through our footage.
I really wish there was a way to strip the tickets those fans that sell...
Me too. This was a GOLD Package game attended by one of my sisters. She texted me a photo from across the field.........lots of Honolulu colored jerseys in the stands. Lions fans were there last January as well. Lions fans are getting feisty these days. Lions haven't won the division in several decades I think going back to the 'Favre to Sharpe' and Reggie miracle days. Lions fans have years of pent up frustrations.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
29 Sep 2023 08:43
thing is ol Matt doesn't buy the groceries, and his OL really let him down last night, pretty hard to lay all the blame at Matts feet.
MLF let the O down. What kind of moron calls long-developing pass plays against a team with an elite EDGE guy like Hutch, when they trot out an OL with a first-year starter at LT, a ~*scrub*~ at LG, an inconsistent youngster at C, and a banged-up RT?

There has been a long list of stupid personnel decisions by the coaching staff since MLF took over, from playing Lane Taylor over Jenkins, Amari Rodgers over Nixon, Jake Hansen over Zach Tom... on and on and on and on. I have a strong feeling that they are doing it again by opting to playing Newman over Sean Rhyan, especially given what we saw of them in preseason (Rhyan was the better player).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Even if nobody is better, I can't imagine you could trot out someone worse than Royce Newman. On most of the plays he couldn't even turn his head fast enough to watch them run right by him let alone get his body in position to block anyone. I exaggerate, but only slightly.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Sep 2023 08:40
:bkw: :bkw: :kaboom: :kaboom:
How the hell this can this happen at Lambeau Field is totally perplexing to me. The GOLD PACKAGE season ticket holders should be ashamed of themselves. It's disgusting.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Fooled us on this one. What looks like Cover 3 is actually Cover 2 with those LBs dropping hard. Should have gone to Toure. Learning moment as Orlovsky said.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Probably should not have gone back to back 1st down passes on the first 2 series, but ya...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

:beer:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
29 Sep 2023 09:19
When the Packers showed signs of a possible comeback in the second half, the kitty fans went remarkably quiet. The sense was that they really don’t have a lot of confidence in their team.
YEAH BUT ..... that and a cup of coffee doesn't cause the Packers coaching staff inept preparations to magically stamp out better quarters. Lions fans are feisty as hell these days.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Games are won and lost in the trenches, and we got hammered on both accounts. Cue up the Benny Hill theme music when watching film of our offensive line from last night.

Doubt is starting to creep into my mind about MLF. Yes, we have a ton of young players and we can only expect so much from them. That said:

- Offensive in-game adjustments seem to be near non-existent.
- The defense routinely gets trucked (even beyond this year) and Matt's hand chosen DC is front and center to all of this.
- What's with special teams? Bisaccia is supposed to be the second coming, they loaded the roster (moreso this year than any other I can recall) with guys to specifically (not exclusively) play on teams and we are also seeing more starters on teams. Despite all of this, the improvements are not in line with the resources expended.

Somehow, I'm not as bent out of shape over this loss because it was the Lions. They have sucked for so long it's hard to not feel some sort of happiness for the franchise and their fans. Too bad it came at the hands of a poorly coached Packers team.

Yes, young team and injuries, but that was just a complete team meltdown last night. I didn't expect them to win but I do expect them to put up a reasonable fight each and every game.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Not a chance I was going to go into the gameday thread during that game.

Going into the season, we knew this was going to be an extremely young team and it was likely going to be a roller coaster of a season. So far it has been all of that. Sometimes the inexperience is blatantly obvious, and sometimes they flash for a few plays or a drive and we can see the potential.

I was hoping for a win last night, but very little about last night surprised me, and I'm a green and gold glasses wearing fan.