Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Aug 2020 08:42
Packfntk wrote:
20 Aug 2020 16:28
The Chiefs announced fans would no longer be permitted to wear Native American headdresses or face paint inside Arrowhead Stadium.

The decision comes after extensive talks between the team and Native American communities. The organization said "fans will be asked to remove any American Indian-themed face paint prior to passing security screening outside the stadium." The team is also "engaged in a thorough review process of the Arrowhead Chop." It's the latest in the NFL's reckoning with racial and social justice.
I mean, this is getting crazy, isn't it? I guess I always looked at the Chiefs as honoring Native American's, never saw it as a racist thing, more of it is their noble mascot. Guess I am wrong again.
Nope. You are not wrong. Too many "chiefs" would stand up with you and say that they are fine with it. And as far as I know, nobody with the Chiefs org has ever denigrated the name or history.
:-)
Some would say you are wrong and in the world we live in today, some is apparently too many. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs, Braves, and Indians all end up re-branding in the next 1-5 years, as well.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

How the fudge is this even possible :lol:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... y=pass_yds

They only have 12 over 3000 and only 4 over 3500 :rotf:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

That's actually, incredible. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheGreenMan wrote:
21 Aug 2020 13:05
Not if we see the list of QB's, it isn't, particularly.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
21 Aug 2020 13:17
TheGreenMan wrote:
Is a little, Cutler threw for over 4,500 his last year in Denver and was only like 25. :lol:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
21 Aug 2020 13:21
NCF wrote:
21 Aug 2020 13:17
TheGreenMan wrote:
Is a little, Cutler threw for over 4,500 his last year in Denver and was only like 25. :lol:
I was just going to say I thought Cutler would have at least broke that mark. Or got close.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Aug 2020 17:00
lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Aug 2020 16:56
The reason why the NFL isn’t a world wide sport like all the others is it’s ads. I’ve been all over the world and whenever you try to bring up the NFL to someone out of country they will tell you they can’t watch because it’s one long commercial interrupted by small breaks of football. Which is honestly true. That is always the 1st gripe from anyone who says they can’t get into it.
:aok:
Would be pretty cool to even once have an ad-less NFL game, where the time spent on ads was used on actual deeper analysis on the game. Or a "new football fan" ad-less game, where that time was used on explaining concepts, rules and tactical considerations that applied on the previous play and the upcoming one. Could actually learn a lot!

Now the analysts have like 5 secs to say "Adams ran a great route and AR used his eyes to freeze the safety" and they never get to the why it was a great route nor how AR managed that. I always get a chuckle outta the all-star half-time panels of super expensive experts with 7 secs of airtime each.

Dream on.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

salmar80 wrote:
21 Aug 2020 20:30
YoHoChecko wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Aug 2020 16:56
The reason why the NFL isn’t a world wide sport like all the others is it’s ads. I’ve been all over the world and whenever you try to bring up the NFL to someone out of country they will tell you they can’t watch because it’s one long commercial interrupted by small breaks of football. Which is honestly true. That is always the 1st gripe from anyone who says they can’t get into it.
Would be pretty cool to even once have an ad-less NFL game, where the time spent on ads was used on actual deeper analysis on the game. Or a "new football fan" ad-less game, where that time was used on explaining concepts, rules and tactical considerations that applied on the previous play and the upcoming one. Could actually learn a lot!

Now the analysts have like 5 secs to say "Adams ran a great route and AR used his eyes to freeze the safety" and they never get to the why it was a great route nor how AR managed that. I always get a chuckle outta the all-star half-time panels of super expensive experts with 7 secs of airtime each.

Dream on.
Interesting.

I had no idea it was that bad, coming from someone that doesn't travel the world.

This might be a dumb question, but why is this? Why have vast amounts of ads, or one very long one, and very little football sprinkled in? One would think if the NFL is looking to expand the market, they wouldn't allow something like this. Is it simply the fact the only good that will come out of a football game shown overseas is money from advertisement, assuming viewership/interest in the actual game is going to be low.... because it's foreign? Silly Americans and their football?

I obviously don't know enough between the NFL and companies overseas when it comes to ad times, or slots, who can make what happen. Seems like money is talking somewhere.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I would definitely consider paying for an ad-less service, with like real legit former position coaches announcing who specialize in breaking down film and just let them talk non stop and rewatch plays for 3 straight hours.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
22 Aug 2020 09:39
I would definitely consider paying for an ad-less service, with like real legit former position coaches announcing who specialize in breaking down film and just let them talk non stop and rewatch plays for 3 straight hours.
I would too. But this would be a tremendous challenge to find people who could appropriately do this. Plus finding a way to pay for it. You are taking away ad revenue and then you are also increasing expense of a different production crew. You would essentially have two productions of the same game.

NASCAR tried this in 2007 where they had a "DirecTV Hotpass". It was a dedicated channel to one car the whole race. As a fan it was awesome but for DirecTV it was not sustainable and they had to end it after one year.

But i just think finding someone to analyze would be the most challenging thing for each game. I mean right now the networks already have a terrible time finding competent people to be color analysts and they have way less air time to fill.

I mean look at ESPN and how bad they have done filling this role for the last 20 years (have they ever had a good crew since John and Al left?...and even John Madden wasn't really an "educator" to the higher level fan)

The one thing I would consider is you leave the production up to the teams and you have say John Kuhn and Larry Mac do the in depth analysis. But again. I just think that would be incredibly challenging.

There is a reason Tony Romo got stupid money thrown at him. Because he is the only one really who has shown he can do it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I don’t know, find some retired QB, RB DE or whatever coaches, or recently fired ones, or offer 50-100% more than what they make being a position. Then just find the ones with the best personalities and go.

Could even scour the collegiate level. Should be a couple hundred people qualified enough, just pay them enough to lure them away from their 50-200k coaching job.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
22 Aug 2020 09:16
salmar80 wrote:
21 Aug 2020 20:30
YoHoChecko wrote:

Dream on.
Interesting.

I had no idea it was that bad, coming from someone that doesn't travel the world.

This might be a dumb question, but why is this? Why have vast amounts of ads, or one very long one, and very little football sprinkled in? One would think if the NFL is looking to expand the market, they wouldn't allow something like this. Is it simply the fact the only good that will come out of a football game shown overseas is money from advertisement, assuming viewership/interest in the actual game is going to be low.... because it's foreign? Silly Americans and their football?

I obviously don't know enough between the NFL and companies overseas when it comes to ad times, or slots, who can make what happen. Seems like money is talking somewhere.
I almost always stream American TV, so the experience above is how US football broadcasts look to me. I've actually rarely seen European broadcasts, the few British ones I've caught essentially stream official American broadcasts and cut to local analysts or their own ads when there's a break in the American broadcast. The analysts in Britain do have somewhat more time to talk, but production quality isn't marvelous. Viewership is small, so ad revenue is negligible vs American monster TV deals that force the networks to max the ad money.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Living in California where most of the packer games are at 10 am, I rarely watch the regular season live. NFL Game pass has the add free full broadcast that’s posted the same night the game occurs. There’s an option for it not to show final scores for people who like suspense. Watch a full game before bed over a few cocktails in just 1.5 hrs is the bomb. Highly recommend, though I did have to go through a withdrawal period of urge to check on the live.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

lake shark wrote:
22 Aug 2020 13:47
Living in California where most of the packer games are at 10 am, I rarely watch the regular season live. NFL Game pass has the add free full broadcast that’s posted the same night the game occurs. There’s an option for it not to show final scores for people who like suspense. Watch a full game before bed over a few cocktails in just 1.5 hrs is the bomb. Highly recommend, though I did have to go through a withdrawal period of urge to check on the live.
In an Internet age I would think it would be impossible for someone or something to spoil the game.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Aug 2020 13:53
lake shark wrote:
In an Internet age I would think it would be impossible for someone or something to spoil the game.
Oh yeah, unless you put your phone on airplane mode and go out of the way not to visit an establishment with a TV you could get a spoiler for sure. I’ve gotten used to it when it happens and honestly it’s less stressful watching when I know the outcome.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

lake shark wrote:
22 Aug 2020 14:09
lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Aug 2020 13:53
lake shark wrote:
Oh yeah, unless you put your phone on airplane mode and go out of the way not to visit an establishment with a TV you could get a spoiler for sure. I’ve gotten used to it when it happens and honestly it’s less stressful watching when I know the outcome.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The Raiders' owner calling their new stadium the Death Star.

I wonder whether he means the first one:

Or the second one:

:dunno:

:rotf:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Earl Thomas released after a fight in practice.

Sounds like they will end up paying him $22 million for one year of service.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
23 Aug 2020 15:02

We should have listened to the fans and put all our money into Thomas rather than pay Amos, Smith and Smith.

We were just one piece away!
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
23 Aug 2020 17:26
BF004 wrote:
23 Aug 2020 15:02

We should have listened to the fans and put all our money into Thomas rather than pay Amos, Smith and Smith.

We were just one piece away!
My buddy at work is a huge Ravens fan. The weekend free agency started, we were arguing about free agent safeties (before any had signed). I thought it was obvious that you pay the premium for Earl Thomas, and he thought the better deal was a lower contract for an Adrian Amos. The argument went on for probably 45 seconds of me insisting Thomas was a better value even at top dollar and him insisting Amos was the better value. The alerts for these two signings came within minutes of each other. Our respective teams had each gone against our wishes. Today I texted him to concede the argument.