2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
26 Sep 2023 13:07
This rendition of the defense far eclipses the defense that contributed to the loss to the Lions that I witnessed last January. Plus now we have multiple viable receiving weapons compared to 2022. And finally the drama king is gone....finally freakin effen gone. Lions fans will be out in full force......but nonetheless the Packers will emerge ruling the North.
God Bless God, family, the Green Bay Packers, Jordan Love, the O and D lines, the DBs and LBs, the kicking game, the OC, Musgrave, the returners and the running game. I'm sensing a statement game outta 1265 and 1919. Blue 58, 3 19 Hut!!
Take a look at the real differences between our D this year and last.
1. Gary might actually be better than last year. We'll know more when he isn't on a snap count. But now it is crazy how much pressure he is wrecking on QBs.
2. Will LVN start to show up? He's shown flashes thus far, but he also is on limited snaps. He could have a coming out game at some point this season. Would be sweet if it's sooner, than later.
3. Safety. Savage is showing flashes. At the least, he is showing some motivation. What our other safeties lack in talent, they might almost make up in speed and motivation.
4. Our DLine is built more against the pass. Wooden and Brooks need to hold up more against the run. But they are young and learning.
5. Walker. He is arguably doing better than last year. If he is steady and occasionally gets a turnover, he'll be a marked improvement.
6. If we can stop the run this year, that'll be a lot better than last year.
7. Field position. I'm thinking that our Offense is giving the D a better field position than last year. Will see about the data. But it seems they are winning the battle there more than 2022.

All of this might end up meaning very little. But the D needs to prove they are better. And our O needs to become consistent. If we can do a little of both, we can win on Thursday night. But we'll need both.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Another 200+ rushing given up tonight.

There were no injuries and 4 1st round picks playing DT & Edge.

I'd fire Joe Barry tomorrow with just 1 game over trhe next 23 days.

Dead serious.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

LombardiTime wrote:
28 Sep 2023 22:16

Dead serious.
I loved how the Lions defense brought it tonight. SO AGGRESSIVE. Single gapped the &%$@ out of us and rushed hard WHILE taking away the first read.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I think teams have all got the memo to simply send 11 (1RB 1 TE) personnel on the field and Barry will counter with light fronts (2 DL) and then the offense run roughshod over them. It’s been happening 3 years now and Barry simply refuses to change. He makes it easy for the opponent to dictate terms for attacking.

Yeah, Montgomery’s ypc was under 4.0 (3.8 I think) but they couldn’t stop him when they needed to.

Wash.
Rinse.
Repeat.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Well I’ll be damned…

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

APB wrote:
28 Sep 2023 23:04
Well I’ll be damned…

Didn't MLF say this after the 2019 NFC Championship game loss to the 49ers?

Did someone force MLF to hire 2-time loser Joe Barry to coordinate the defense?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

This happens every year. MLF leaves Barry to his own devices, then we see the D is a mess, MLF then publicly calls him out, and then Barry makes adjustments with an unknown amount of direct involvement from MLF, improving the defense to average with occasional flash plays, doing enough to save Barry's job.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

LombardiTime wrote:
28 Sep 2023 22:16

Dead serious.
Lafleur should have fired him at the bye game last year, I'll repeat, Lafleur will keep Barry till there both fired

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

No adjustment to motion means our numbers are wrong on defense. Just bad scheme...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

One of life's great mysteries...

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
Well I’ll be damned…

He's right. But didn't he say that last year in the first half of the season too? I'm not about letting them figure this out and adjust midway through the season. That's what they did last year. They waited half the year to figure out better stuff.

What they should do is see how they can emulate what the Lions just did to them and make that work for the current roster as much as possible. The Lions DLine isn't all that special if you don't include the edge guys. They just know what they do well and do that.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

APB wrote:
29 Sep 2023 11:18

I basically came to the same conclusion, that it is an organization-wide problem, last season when i foolishly predicted Green Bay would have a top 10 defense for the first time since 2010 (based upon what I thought was a unit too talented to rank lower than that).

The Defense was soft and failed to stop the run under Capers after 2010 and under Pettine and now under Barry and with Mac as the Head Coach and now with MLF as the Head Coach even though every single first-round pick since 2012 other than Jordan Love has gone to the defensive side of the ball.

I think it might be time to consider whether at least part of the problem stems from those who scout, evaluate, and select defensive players because some of those folks have been in place since 2011 and it is not getting any better.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

LombardiTime wrote:
29 Sep 2023 11:34
APB wrote:

I basically came to the same conclusion, that it is an organization-wide problem, last season when i foolishly predicted Green Bay would have a top 10 defense for the first time since 2010 (based upon what I thought was a unit too talented to rank lower than that).

The Defense was soft and failed to stop the run under Capers after 2010 and under Pettine and now under Barry and with Mac as the Head Coach and now with MLF as the Head Coach even though every single first-round pick since 2012 other than Jordan Love has gone to the defensive side of the ball.

I think it might be time to consider whether at least part of the problem stems from those who scout, evaluate, and select defensive players because some of those folks have been in place since 2011 and it is not getting any better.
Jerry Montgomery, DL/run game coordinator since 2014, his claim to fame is that he was a DL coach under Bob Stoops for 2 seasons at Oklahoma, so he's been here under all 3 DC's where talking about, true the cords design the schemes, but how much has he helped.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

LombardiTime wrote:
29 Sep 2023 11:34
APB wrote:

Quay has absolutley no chance to stop that despite his good effort. Ford was flat footed and should have read it and committed way earlier. That said, without a DE or OLB in that gap, it was destined to be a TD.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

he's not blaming Walker per se, he's blaming the off balanced DL, all the beef was left of center

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
29 Sep 2023 11:21
APB wrote:
Well I’ll be damned…

He's right. But didn't he say that last year in the first half of the season too? I'm not about letting them figure this out and adjust midway through the season. That's what they did last year. They waited half the year to figure out better stuff.

What they should do is see how they can emulate what the Lions just did to them and make that work for the current roster as much as possible. The Lions DLine isn't all that special if you don't include the edge guys. They just know what they do well and do that.
The crazy part is Barry seems to revert back to the same stuff that didn't work the prior year to begin each new year. You know, the bad scheme and alignment stuff that he was forced to abandon to save his job is what he goes right back to the next year. He's done it 3 years running now.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Don’t blame Joe. He is who he always has been.
Attachments
IMG_5579.png
IMG_5579.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1133 times
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

We’re the only ones dumb enough to keep him for a third year.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Another example…

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I feel like the record player has been set to repeat…