2020 Training Camp

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
20 Aug 2020 14:52
YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Aug 2020 14:49
Yeah, I guess if Nagler and Herman are both pointing out some struggles, they're there.

Just seems like (and maybe this was all prior to pads) there was talk about how the D usually is ahead of the O but this year has looked different. So it feels like a short memory situation there, but in terms of smoothness and efficiency (and drops), I could see it being an issue so far.
I remember thinking that too that we heard how much more together the offense was this year over last year.

But I think what they were meaning is lack of mental mistakes. Lack of false starts. And lack of not knowing the plays and miscommunication etc.

You are probably right on that, but also i believe all that hype just came from the first day of practice. So in no way a real "trend of camp" was established.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Things are easier for the offense in TC with no fans.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just read though some practice tweets.
  • Sounds like Davante Adams returned in top form;
  • MVS and EQSB both made multiple plays today;
  • Shepherd is apparently consistently getting separation, so I guess he isn't going away yet
  • UDFA Stanford Samuels took a lot of reps against starters with Jaire sitting out today and held up well
  • Rodgers and the passing game, generally, were sharp

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My takaways.

Keke and Lowry had a good day on one on ones.

Billy Turner is actually doing a really good job.

Rashan Gary continues to make noise rushing the passer.

Rodgers was sharp today.

Adams is Adams

MVS and EQSB continuing to put together strong days which is fantastic.

Shepherd is not going away.

Samuel is the UDFA to watch. Tipa Galai is also a guy to watch though his size I believe really limits him.

You hear nothing of Hollman. Whic is odd considering his noise he made last August.

Kamal Martin looks to be a player. Starting to get the vibe he may be pushing to have a competition with Oren Burks maybe even this year. But definitely could be an exciting guy to team with Kirksey next year.

Josh Jackson getting more reps (per MLF)

It seems to be pretty quiet from production from the TEs

Tim Boyle is really good and Jordan Love is most definitely our 3rd QB who is struggling like Rodgers did in 05

Montravious Adams and Rick Wagner are looking to be a bit more "serious" of injuries.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Many thanks to you guys gathering and posting all the tweets!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Also, I don't know if Matt's endorsement of Ty Summers and Kamal Martin that they need to step up is necessarily a compliment on them, but instead a bash on Oren Burks.

It just sounds like Burks has done pretty much nothing. And once again that ILB spot2 is a glaring hole.

Kirksey though has been incredible.

I think the list of Packers that are basically, "if they miss time we are in serious trouble" include:

1. Christian Kirksey
2. Kenny Clark
3. David Bakhtiari

Honorable mention:
4. Darnell Savage/Adrian Amos
5. Aaron Rodgers

Though we should give credit. Alex Light did have some decent reps as pass blocker Friday. Don't think I heard much from him yesterday.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Okay this guy actually does a pretty job here.

He basically goes through each position group and highlights each tweet and note for all the players in the position group - whether good or bad.

He also does a good job of remembering the players's previous days tweets.

I think my only complaint is he posts this basically a day later than the practice (probably because he wants to do a good job and time restraints), but this can feel stale because we deem it as "old news".

This would be his summary from Thursday/Friday I believe.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Tom Silverstein stated on his podcast the WRs and TEs are struggling to get open. He said when it’s fine to throw the ball it’s going to be really hard for Rodgers.

He’s the only one so far who has said anything about them struggling to my knowledge but he’s usually the harshest out of all the Packers media.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
23 Aug 2020 08:18

He basically goes through each position group and highlights each tweet and note for all the players in the position group - whether good or bad.

I think my only complaint is he posts this basically a day later than the practice (probably because he wants to do a good job and time restraints), but this can feel stale because we deem it as "old news".

I listen to his podcast everyday. Hes got a good show that IMO is the best non beat writer show out there for the Packers.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Aug 2020 08:21
go pak go wrote:

I listen to his podcast everyday. Hes got a good show that IMO is the best non beat writer show out there for the Packers.
Agreed. I used to be a big Nagler fan (especially earlier in his days). I don't think he honestly provides much though anymore in his pre and post Packer chat content. But he does still ask the best questions to players and coaches by far. So I definitely appreciate him.

I think this is going to be my new guy. And anything with Andy Herman too. He has a 90 minute Rodgers vs Love video I want to watch too.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we had this player that practically lived in the weight room, and was considered a workout warrior, and we selected him 5th over all, being a workout warrior doesn't always mean the person will be a great player.

people didn't like Gary for a variety of reasons, and like Burks cause he was another shot at finding a more pure 3 dn lber

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
23 Aug 2020 09:12
lupedafiasco wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Agreed. I used to be a big Nagler fan (especially earlier in his days). I don't think he honestly provides much though anymore in his pre and post Packer chat content. But he does still ask the best questions to players and coaches by far. So I definitely appreciate him.

I think this is going to be my new guy. And anything with Andy Herman too. He has a 90 minute Rodgers vs Love video I want to watch too.
thats cause you like your ears tickled and not scratched :lol:

in the very beginning of Bob McGinns run everyone loved him, when he started taking the team to task over goof ball decisions, not so much, obviously we have more faith in team then we do beat writers, imo the team abused that a lot during the post Lombardi era for about 2 decades, just saying, sometimes when our ears itch, we should take notice :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
23 Aug 2020 09:33
go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

in the very beginning of Bob McGinns run everyone loved him, when he started taking the team to task over goof ball decisions, not so much, obviously we have more faith in team then we do beat writers, imo the team abused that a lot during the post Lombardi era for about 2 decades, just saying, sometimes when our ears itch, we should take notice :lol:
:idn: :dunno:
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
23 Aug 2020 09:35
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

don't go scratching your head :rotf: when Bobby says something you don't like even though it's balls on accurate you disparage him just like most of the others here, he complained about the lack of receivers through the years, and D Jones was a crap pick and there are countless other times, to me McCginn was one of the best beat writers we could have had, but because he wont sugar coat his comments fans hate him, I'd rather be told a honest opinion, then to have people always telling me what I want to hear, however I was mostly kidding around, and my post wasn't really directed at anyone in general.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
23 Aug 2020 09:57
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

don't go scratching your head :rotf: when Bobby says something you don't like even though it's balls on accurate you disparage him just like most of the others here, he complained about the lack of receivers through the years, and D Jones was a crap pick and there are countless other times, to me McCginn was one of the best beat writers we could have had, but because he wont sugar coat his comments fans hate him, I'd rather be told a honest opinion, then to have people always telling me what I want to hear, however I was mostly kidding around, and my post wasn't really directed at anyone in general.
Oh you're talking about McGinn?

I don't dislike McGinn because he says our players stink. I have never disliked anyone because they talk down on the Packers when it's real. I do dislike someone when they are essentially always pessemists because by and large this franchise has been awesome.

What I honestly don't really like about McGinn is he takes 2 or 3 very short, brief and high level quotes from "scouts" and uses that as his basis on if a player is good or not. I prefer to have a bit more analysis.

And that is also a generational thing. McGinn comes from the newspaper hard print era. Words and space were limited. Information was limited.

We now live in a completely different era and the world has just passed him.

I appreciate what the beat boys do. They are the ones who get the quotes. They are the ones with the most access and they are the ones trying to honestly bring attention and excitement to the game. But because of this last part especially, they are the ones who largely also push a narrative too hard such as "quarterback controversy" or "is Rodgers mad?" or "let's have 26 repeat tweets of who is sitting out of practice today"

They are too much about newspaper headings. I like "non-beat" guys like Nagler was, Herman was (and honestly still is) and others because they actually analyze, summarize and teach about the game (if they are good). The problem is that is really hard to do and the other problem is your following is pretty limited because only a small segment of the fans actually care about non-headline stuff.

But you do realize you are a homer too right? Your homerism of Rodgers is also an ear tickling or ear scratching whatever thing.

And finally, I also do have a problem with, "oh such and such position is a weak spot! I am going to complain about this for the whole year and that must be our sole purpose to fix next offseason".
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
23 Aug 2020 10:25
Yoop wrote:
23 Aug 2020 09:57
go pak go wrote:

Oh you're talking about McGinn?

I don't dislike McGinn because he says our players stink. I have never disliked anyone because they talk down on the Packers when it's real. I do dislike someone when they are essentially always pessemists because by and large this franchise has been awesome.

What I honestly don't really like about McGinn is he takes 2 or 3 very short, brief and high level quotes from "scouts" and uses that as his basis on if a player is good or not. I prefer to have a bit more analysis.

And that is also a generational thing. McGinn comes from the newspaper hard print era. Words and space were limited. Information was limited.

We now live in a completely different era and the world has just passed him.

I appreciate what the beat boys do. They are the ones who get the quotes. They are the ones with the most access and they are the ones trying to honestly bring attention and excitement to the game. But because of this last part especially, they are the ones who largely also push a narrative too hard such as "quarterback controversy" or "is Rodgers mad?" or "let's have 26 repeat tweets of who is sitting out of practice today"

They are too much about newspaper headings. I like "non-beat" guys like Nagler was, Herman was (and honestly still is) and others because they actually analyze, summarize and teach about the game (if they are good). The problem is that is really hard to do and the other problem is your following is pretty limited because only a small segment of the fans actually care about non-headline stuff.

But you do realize you are a homer too right? Your homerism of Rodgers is also an ear tickling or ear scratching whatever thing.

And finally, I also do have a problem with, "oh such and such position is a weak spot! I am going to complain about this for the whole year and that must be our sole purpose to fix next offseason".
[/quote/]
Last edited by Yoop on 23 Aug 2020 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Yoop wrote:
23 Aug 2020 10:59
I like everything you said that I agree with, and not so much the other stuff

I think me and Bobby where right to complain about WR about 3 or 4 years back, that has pretty much proved to be accurate, even though the fo didn't seem to agree, and there are ways to fix that which are not always obvious to you or me with scheme changes as MLF seems to be doing.

not only should we have given Rodgers more offensive impact players during his career, we did the same to Favre.

I think when you see players doing desperate things to succeed, it's often because they feel it's all on them to succeed, and we can relate because we actually see this transpire on the field, we bitch (and we don't really know why) when Rodgers extends plays, or Favre in desperation makes a ill advised throw, in reality though they had very little choice most of the time, these are just my impressions, honed to perfection though after listening to Bobby for many years

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Quick notes from what I gathered in retrospect at practice today:
  • Rashaan Gary is beasting
  • The passing offense was winning today
  • Hollman heard us when we said he hadn't gotten mentioned; name appeared in sveeral tweets today, some good, some bad
  • Kamal Martin is really coming on strong
  • Watch for our H-back/FBs in the red zone; Love hit Lovett and Rodgers got Deguara in the same red zone period

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

A sampling from red zone:

Last edited by YoHoChecko on 23 Aug 2020 12:14, edited 1 time in total.