INEPT

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
04 Oct 2023 07:33
Packers just need to stay around .500 for the year to have what would be considered an acceptable year.

Good coaching will get us there pretty easily.

We shall see if we have good coaching.
acceptable to who? fans? not this fan. :lol:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

OK, I'll bite. What IS acceptable?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
04 Oct 2023 07:51
Drj820 wrote:
04 Oct 2023 07:33
Packers just need to stay around .500 for the year to have what would be considered an acceptable year.

Good coaching will get us there pretty easily.

We shall see if we have good coaching.
acceptable to who? fans? not this fan. :lol:
Fully concur. Not this fan either. Packers shall rule the universe every season, all day, every day. This is entrenched in doctrine as provided by the late great Head Coach and General Manager Vincent Thomas Lombardi, and shall not be messed with ever by current and future generations of authentic Packers fans.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Half Empty wrote:
04 Oct 2023 08:27
Acceptable is winning. Unacceptable is losing or tieing. Only the win-loss column stats matter.

In my non-professional football world things are categorized as OUTSTANDING, HIGHLY SATISFACTORY, SATISFACTORY, MARGINAL or UNACCEPTABLE. Winning is OUTSTANDING and sometimes can also be viewed as HIGHLY SATISFACTORY. Tieing and losing is UNACCEPTABLE. SATISFACTORY and MARGINAL don't apply to the Packers performance (these performance metrics are applicable from the front office on down to winning or losing on the field, and everything in between (GM duties, coaching duties, medical staff duties, training staff duties, grounds crew duties, scoreboard operation duties, locker room duties, janitorial duties, concession stand duties, security duties, ticketing duties, parking striping duties, building/stadium/practice facilities maintenance duties, draft room duties, scouting duties, etc ...... the list goes on and on.)

You can send your consulting fee payments to Ringo! GO PACK GO. :clap:
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 04 Oct 2023 08:46, edited 3 times in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
04 Oct 2023 08:30
Half Empty wrote:
04 Oct 2023 08:27
Acceptable is winning. Unacceptable is losing or tieing.
I did 3 paragraphs on how acceptable is the avenue to defeat, and should never be entertained by a professional athlete, then deleted because I just didn't feel like defending it.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I was factoring in a LT that quit, a bad DC, half the team having hammy injuries, multiple linemen down, rookie qb, and AJ Dillon forgetting how to play football.

With all those considerations in mind, I think with our schedule an “acceptable” goal is 9-8 and competing for the 6 or 7 seed in the playoffs.

Lower than .500, or not competing for a wild card in a weak conference would be a coaching disaster, because we have the tools to meet that goal.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
04 Oct 2023 08:46
I was factoring in a LT that quit, a bad DC, half the team having hammy injuries, multiple linemen down, rookie qb, and AJ Dillon forgetting how to play football.

With all those considerations in mind, I think with our schedule an “acceptable” goal is 9-8 and competing for the 6 or 7 seed in the playoffs.

Lower than .500, or not competing for a wild card in a weak conference would be a coaching disaster, because we have the tools to meet that goal.
Wait a minute here. A "goal" is one thing, but actual "attainment" is another. The goal should be OUTSTANDING performance. Attainment is measured by the WON-LOSS column in the standings. Did the team win the NFC North and make it to the NFC playoffs or not? If yes, did the team win the NFC title? And then finally the Lombardi trophy.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I was just being a realist based on what’s actually going on. I agree that after years of planning for the future that we should not be losing to the falcons.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:

see you just can't seem to stop leading off with negative comments, WE know now without doubt that Bakhtiari didn't quit, and Dillon obviously didn't forget how to play football, the rest like injured OL, hamy's first year starting QB thats true, but adding the false stuff degrades all the rest.

acceptence is a fan thing, not a team or player thing.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
04 Oct 2023 09:20
Drj820 wrote:

see you just can't seem to stop leading off with negative comments, WE know now without doubt that Bakhtiari didn't quit, and Dillon obviously didn't forget how to play football, the rest like injured OL, hamy's first year starting QB thats true, but adding the false stuff degrades all the rest.

acceptence is a fan thing, not a team or player thing.
I was just listing the reasons that I did not expect a Super Bowl victory this season. I had to list negatives to rationalize not expecting a trophy.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

There are seasons where it's Super Bowl or bust. 2020, 2021, and 2022 were those seasons.

2023 is not that season. I will absolutely look at this season as a resounding success if we win the division, know we have our franchise QB, have some young hot shot WRs etc.

It is absolutely reasonable to differentiate "acceptable" amongst different seasons.
Last edited by go pak go on 04 Oct 2023 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Long term, at any given time, my expectation is that this organization is at most 1 year away from being a playoff contender, and at most 3 years away from being a Super Bowl contender.

Why? Because we are the Green Bay Packers, one of the blue blood franchises of the NFL. We should not accept long term mediocrity.

So when Bahktiari says that this is a rebuild year, he may have been correct. But he should have called it THE rebuild year. Because by next year I expect to see significant developments and changes in a positive direction. If they aren't there then additional heads need to roll.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Success can look different in many forms. 2008, we went 6-10, found out that our QB was a franchise QB and we fired our Defensive Coordinator.

Hopeful that we see the same this year but a slightly better record would be nice.