2020 Training Camp

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Hollman:

(all three, same play)

(this one's a different play)

Two Minute Drill:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Josh Jackson was mentioned a couple times in the red zone tweets. Here's more from his day:

But since we're talking about no separation from receivers there...

image.png
image.png (32.32 KiB) Viewed 539 times
image.png
image.png (53.2 KiB) Viewed 539 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The young guys session after the main practice featured LIVE TACKLING

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Kamal Martin

From the Live Tackling Segment:

Overall:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Thanks for the updates.

I am really liking these Kamal Martin positives. We desperately need him to step up and it would an incredible steal if we can get him going. Same for Keke for last year's 5th round pick too.

Sounds like Kumerow had a day.

Jackson had an up and down day.

I think I was more excited about the dink and dunk 2:00 minute drive compared to the plethora of completed bombs.

The one player who seemed to always make plays and be in the backfield last year was Z. Smith. This year it is Rashan Gary. I mean I'm getting kind of excited.

Was Vernon Scott playing against Aaron Rodgers? That's something interesting.

Lots of talk from Adams, Lazard, Kumerow, Tonyan, Stern. Not so much from MVS, EQSB, Shepherd.

Liked to hear some things from Hollman.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
23 Aug 2020 13:19
The one player who seemed to always make plays and be in the backfield last year was Z. Smith. This year it is Rashan Gary. I mean I'm getting kind of excited.
Honestly, if you're not excited about Gary's offseason based on everything we're hearing and seeing and the coaches are saying and he's doing on the practice field, either you're on the extreme end of "I have to see it before I believe it" or you're hanging on tight to a negative prior impression of the guy. There's no reason not to be excited about Gary right now; temper it with the realization that it's still early, it's just camp, just practice... but no reason not to have high hopes.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'am very excited for all the players, and as long as Gary delivers 115 cumulatives I'll have no complaints :rotf:

minus Gute picking up the Two smiths, the Gary pick would have made sense, I think I was higher on a couple other rushers more (Burns and Sweat I think) but I don't consider myself smarter then guys that get paid to do this stuff, Gary simply was not on my radar, in fact none of the edge rushers where once we got the Smith boys. I wanted offensive impact players, and I still feel I was right about that.

I can look back and see a few more losses minus Aaron Jones, can't you? thats why to me, MLF would be leaving production on hold not to get as much out of Jones as he possibly can this season, specially if the plan is not to resign him.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So far from reading the notes, I would say my primary level concern or worry is our defensive line. You hear a lot of "wide open gap for the running back.".

I just think we need to sign someone there. We just aren't hearing enough from guys like Keke.

Also a little nervous about RT if Wagner's arm is a bigger deal.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Has their been much discussion on the rb rotation or situation? Wonder if Dillon stepped in near day one as RB2, or if Jamal is looking like he still may have a key role.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Aug 2020 13:28
go pak go wrote:
Honestly, if you're not excited about Gary's offseason based on everything we're hearing and seeing and the coaches are saying and he's doing on the practice field, either you're on the extreme end of "I have to see it before I believe it" or you're hanging on tight to a negative prior impression of the guy. There's no reason not to be excited about Gary right now; temper it with the realization that it's still early, it's just camp, just practice... but no reason not to have high hopes.
I have to see it to believe and I’m hanging onto a negative prior impression. He hasn’t done anything at any level ever. He’s just been an extremely athletic bum.

If he puts it together then cool. I’ll say it’s about time he did something on a football field for once. But for someone who has never done it I don’t know how people can just take coach talk as gospel.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Aug 2020 23:57
Has their been much discussion on the rb rotation or situation? Wonder if Dillon stepped in near day one as RB2, or if Jamal is looking like he still may have a key role.
IMO you don’t take a RB in the 2nd round and play him 3rd string but Gute has done stupid &%$@ before.

So far it sounds like Dillon has struggled in pass protection which is normal for young backs. Dillon definitely lacks experience in that role considering the amount of run heavy sets BC ran. Coaches in the NFL typically need to trust their back in pass pro to get them out there. I still think we will see him a ton. The offense lulled when Williams came in last season and Dillon has the potential to keep up the pace with Jones sidelined.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Aug 2020 00:53
YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Aug 2020 13:28
go pak go wrote:
I have to see it to believe and I’m hanging onto a negative prior impression. He hasn’t done anything at any level ever. He’s just been an extremely athletic bum.

If he puts it together then cool. I’ll say it’s about time he did something on a football field for once. But for someone who has never done it I don’t know how people can just take coach talk as gospel.
If it was just the coach talk but there was no talk about him during practice, I would agree.

But when he has been winning 1 on 1's and having his name come up multiple times to start practce...and then when the opportunity comes with Z out and Gary is probably the most hyped player making the most conssitent eye popping plays....I start to think there is some fire to this smoke.

Apparrently Gary made David Bakhtiari look absolutely silly a couple of times last year. Same exact thing Z. Smith did last year.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Aug 2020 23:57
I don't know where I heard it but basically that Jamaal Williams is clearly RB2 right now.

Dillon needs to be better in pass pro. He can't be a liability which is basically why every RB starts year 1 on the sideline.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Thanks yoho! 🙏

You make it so I can catch up on TC in half the time as opposed to scrolling through twitter myself.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

[mention]lupedafiasco[/mention] i agree that the round 2 rb should be getting plenty of playing time. I also think he will be useful, so I’m happy for him to get the playing time. But I was just wondering if it seemed like he was handed that role day one, or if he was going to have to clearly beat Jamaal. What you said [mention]go pak go[/mention] makes total sense.

Really jamaals pass pro has saved him time and time again. It’s the entire reason he played equal to or even more sometimes that jones when McCarthy was coach.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Aug 2020 07:47
@lupedafiasco i agree that the round 2 rb should be getting plenty of playing time. I also think he will be useful, so I’m happy for him to get the playing time. But I was just wondering if it seemed like he was handed that role day one, or if he was going to have to clearly beat Jamaal. What you said @go pak go makes total sense.

Really jamaals pass pro has saved him time and time again. It’s the entire reason he played equal to or even more sometimes that jones when McCarthy was coach.
I think both are likely true. I think that Dillon will be used more and more as the season goes on, but will start off with a small role. I've been saying since the draft that while I REALLY like the pick, I'm not sure how quickly he'll get on the field specifically because of pass pro and how good Jamal Williams is at that; but I still think we find a way to work him in as the season goes on, particularly on more obvious run situations.

I expect Dillon's season to eclipse Williams', but I bet that we won't see many signs of that being true through week 8.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

this Gute idea of using our top pick on players to groom for the futures is really going crash on his head if LOve is never able to beat out Boyle.

and Gary better become how good Mike Smith thinks he'll be or Mike will be on the same bus as Gute when Murphy hands them there tickets :)

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
24 Aug 2020 08:53
this Gute idea of using our top pick on players to groom for the futures is really going crash on his head if LOve is never able to beat out Boyle.

and Gary better become how good Mike Smith thinks he'll be or Mike will be on the same bus as Gute when Murphy hands them there tickets :)
Love will beat out Boyle even if he doesn’t outplay him. Gute knows his career is in the hands of Love.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Aug 2020 09:31
Yoop wrote:
Love will beat out Boyle even if he doesn’t outplay him. Gute knows his career is in the hands of Love.
I mean, there is no 2020 competition. Boyle is the clear backup QB and we're going to keep 3 QBs this year.

Then we'll tender Tim Boyle as a RFA, show him off in preseason as best we can, and either trade him at cutdown or keep three again for one more year and hope to collect a comp pick from whoever pays him to be their primary backup or veteran bridge QB or whatever... but I think the late preseason trade option is the most likely.

I think everyone needs to come to terms with the fact that Gutey drafts with the life of the rookie contract in mind, not simply the immediate upcoming season. It will help bring you peace, even if you disagree with that approach, to accept that the team you root for is taking that approach; it at least will help make sense of the decisions, if not bring you to full acceptance of them.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Aug 2020 10:09
lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Aug 2020 09:31
Yoop wrote:
I mean, there is no 2020 competition. Boyle is the clear backup QB and we're going to keep 3 QBs this year.

Then we'll tender Tim Boyle as a RFA, show him off in preseason as best we can, and either trade him at cutdown or keep three again for one more year and hope to collect a comp pick from whoever pays him to be their primary backup or veteran bridge QB or whatever... but I think the late preseason trade option is the most likely.

I think everyone needs to come to terms with the fact that Gutey drafts with the life of the rookie contract in mind, not simply the immediate upcoming season. It will help bring you peace, even if you disagree with that approach, to accept that the team you root for is taking that approach; it at least will help make sense of the decisions, if not bring you to full acceptance of them.
A SuperBowl win cures all. If we grab a Lombardi, Gute can weather a luxury bust in Love.