Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
12 Oct 2023 10:03
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Oct 2023 09:45
Yoop wrote:
12 Oct 2023 09:41

pressure, #1 reason young QB's fail,
You keep saying this, but it is completely made up. There is no substance behind it. While pressure doesn't help them succeed continuing to say it is the #1 reason they fail without any evidence to support is tiresome.
my proof is in the data, for every QB that last 5 years in the nfl multiple dont, it's said (not by me) that most that do end up on a roster are physically able to play in this league, so it's the mental part that they struggle with, and what mentally do they struggle with? is it play book? these kids have college degree's, not likely, is it the speed of the game, sure a little, is it dealing with a pass rush far superior then anything they've dealt with prior, most likely.

you just refuse to connect the dots, your problem, just like others, if it isn't written down you can't accept it, and that fine, but don't expect me to change my opinions because of your inability to rationally figure &%$@ out
That's not data at all. That is just a made up anecdote. What I don't accept is stories which are rarely rational. You don't have to change your opinion, just stop using it as if it is fact.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Oct 2023 10:06
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Oct 2023 09:45

You keep saying this, but it is completely made up. There is no substance behind it. While pressure doesn't help them succeed continuing to say it is the #1 reason they fail without any evidence to support is tiresome.
my proof is in the data, for every QB that last 5 years in the nfl multiple dont, it's said (not by me) that most that do end up on a roster are physically able to play in this league, so it's the mental part that they struggle with, and what mentally do they struggle with? is it play book? these kids have college degree's, not likely, is it the speed of the game, sure a little, is it dealing with a pass rush far superior then anything they've dealt with prior, most likely.

you just refuse to connect the dots, your problem, just like others, if it isn't written down you can't accept it, and that fine, but don't expect me to change my opinions because of your inability to rationally figure &%$@ out
That's not data at all. That is just a made up anecdote. What I don't accept is stories which are rarely rational. You don't have to change your opinion, just stop using it as if it is fact.
I use it as Fact, because it is a FACT, just try and dispute it, hell PM any QB coach, he'll tell you the same thing.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
12 Oct 2023 10:16
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Oct 2023 10:06
Yoop wrote:

I use it as Fact, because it is a FACT, just try and dispute it, hell PM any QB coach, he'll tell you the same thing.
It's fact? Show us it is fact.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
pressure, #1 reason young QB's fail, it's not so easy to forget the last play, once bit, a person is leery of stray dogs, same thing. :idn:
Love has struggled while being kept clean over the past three games as well. In addition being able to deal with pressure is part of every NFL quarterback's job. If he won't be able to do a better job of it moving forward he will not succeed.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
11 Oct 2023 07:57
CWIMM wrote:
11 Oct 2023 03:20
According to PFF only three quarterbacks have been pressured on a smaller amount of dropbacks than Love. In addition he only ranks 21st in passer rating among the 32 QBs with the most passing attempts when kept clean. When pressured he's second to last in that category.

While there are definitely other factors involved in him struggling he hasn't played at a decent level over the past three games either.
Yeah. I don't know if that is an aberration or not. I mean look at the progression of a season for a first year starter.

First month: The QB plays with confidence, as many teams have no tape of the guy and the offensive scheme. Much of the offense is straight out of the playbook. The QB doesn't need to adjust "on the fly" very much, so he does fairly well.

Second month: By now defenses have some "memory" of how this QB works and the plays the offense is likely to employ. The defenses start to have more of an advantage. The young QB struggles more than in the first month.

Third or perhaps fourth month: The QB (and the OLine hopefully) have now seen how defenses have adjusted to them and they start to gain more momentum. They improve because they have learned for the past couple of months and adjusted to the speed of the NFL game.

I'm not at all surprised that Love is struggling in October. What would worry me is if he fails to adjust and become more efficient by November and the close of the season. He is building for 2024. Of course, he needs the OLine to improve and his WRs to improve too.
:clap:

I was expecting Love to be very up and down this year like most first year starters. I'm not concerned about him yet. Yes, if he is not playing any better in December then we may need to start scouting QBs in the next draft. But 6 total starts for a QB is not enough evidence to determine what we have here.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
11 Oct 2023 20:58
I guess Patrick Taylor, after the Packers exhausted his PS max call-ups to the 53 man roster, has been waived.

Apparently Justin Hollins has been resigned to the 53.

Is Taylor allowed to return to the PS now? Or is he done as a Packer?

I don't know about Taylor. Maybe he can go back to the PS? What about Emanuel Wilson? :dunno:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
13 Oct 2023 03:23
Yoop wrote:
pressure, #1 reason young QB's fail, it's not so easy to forget the last play, once bit, a person is leery of stray dogs, same thing. :idn:
Love has struggled while being kept clean over the past three games as well. In addition being able to deal with pressure is part of every NFL quarterback's job. If he won't be able to do a better job of it moving forward he will not succeed.
tougher imho on a young QB, but sure, he improves or he'll fail.

I've been told, and I think we've seen that how a QB does his first year sets the stage for his future, it's why GM's bring in receivers ( Ted brought Jennings and 4 other high pick WR for Rodgers) Gute just brought in a bunch for Love, maybe a year or two to late since we are seeing growing pains.

my point is the goal is to make play as easy as possible for your new starting QB, and pass pressure ruins that, what Love needs is clean pockets till he adapts more to pass rush, imo baby steps so to speak is more helpful then a full out sprint for newbies :idn:

good article about Love and Pass rush, 42 pressures in last couple games, compared to 12 in first 2 games.

The crumbling of the offensive line began with Bakhtiari’s exit after one game. But even since Week 1, the Packers offensive line has taken hit after hit. Left guard Elgton Jenkins exited with an injury in Week 2, missed two games and only just returned wearing a brace on his knee in Week 5. Right tackle Zach Tom has played through a knee injury in back-to-back weeks. Right guard Jon Runyan Jr. injured his ankle early in Week 4 and played through the injury in Week 5. The offensive line, once a major strength entering the season, is now a big-time question mark. After being under pressure on just 12 dropbacks through the first two games (six per game), Love has been under pressure on 42 dropbacks over the last three (14 per game). That’s tough for a passing game that wants to go downfield. And the run game, which will be addressed next, hasn’t gotten off the ground. Tough combo for a young quarterback.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/everything ... 31561.html

little more, Kruse touches on all aspects of this failing offense.

The absolute worst-case scenario for the 2023 season would be not getting a complete evaluation of Jordan Love because of the circumstances. Through five games, it looks like that’s exactly where the Packers are at. The hope should be that, coming out of the bye, the Packers will get healthy at key spots and the situation around Love will improve to the point where he can be more accurately assessed as an individual. Right now, Love is a NASCAR mechanic trying to fix up a stock car missing the steering wheel and two wheels during his first race in the pitcrew. Not surprisingly, the car isn’t working and Love can do little to fix it himself until he has all the parts and the experience putting them all together the right way.
Last edited by Yoop on 14 Oct 2023 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Note who he breaks the first tackle on.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

BF004 wrote:
14 Oct 2023 08:02

Note who he breaks the first tackle on.
Jaire was in full Raider game form for that one.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Dillon prioritized big quads and sacrificed burst. Pretty obvious.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

OMG, just how much insurance money did the team collect when Rodgers was injured? the Jets tried to save peanuts, and are now buying the farm :lol:

Like a number of NFL teams do with their highest-paid players, the Green Bay Packers routinely took out disability insurance policies on quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who has suffered injuries to nearly every quadrant of his body over his 19-year pro career.

https://sports.yahoo.com/insult-injury- ... 00418.html

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pugger wrote:
13 Oct 2023 07:27
Scott4Pack wrote:
CWIMM wrote:
11 Oct 2023 03:20
According to PFF only three quarterbacks have been pressured on a smaller amount of dropbacks than Love. In addition he only ranks 21st in passer rating among the 32 QBs with the most passing attempts when kept clean. When pressured he's second to last in that category.

While there are definitely other factors involved in him struggling he hasn't played at a decent level over the past three games either.
Yeah. I don't know if that is an aberration or not. I mean look at the progression of a season for a first year starter.

First month: The QB plays with confidence, as many teams have no tape of the guy and the offensive scheme. Much of the offense is straight out of the playbook. The QB doesn't need to adjust "on the fly" very much, so he does fairly well.

Second month: By now defenses have some "memory" of how this QB works and the plays the offense is likely to employ. The defenses start to have more of an advantage. The young QB struggles more than in the first month.

Third or perhaps fourth month: The QB (and the OLine hopefully) have now seen how defenses have adjusted to them and they start to gain more momentum. They improve because they have learned for the past couple of months and adjusted to the speed of the NFL game.

I'm not at all surprised that Love is struggling in October. What would worry me is if he fails to adjust and become more efficient by November and the close of the season. He is building for 2024. Of course, he needs the OLine to improve and his WRs to improve too.

I was expecting Love to be very up and down this year like most first year starters. I'm not concerned about him yet. Yes, if he is not playing any better in December then we may need to start scouting QBs in the next draft. But 6 total starts for a QB is not enough evidence to determine what we have here.
Sure thing. I remember that Love has as much working against him (stuff that is beyond his own control) as he has going for him. With the turnover on this team, he is fighting an uphill battle to begin. But he's been game so far. I'm actually excited about him. I think we will have him for a while.

And just look at Jared Goff. He had moments earlier in his career. But he's really only blossomed since going to Detroit under Campbell. Now, he's literally a very solid QB. Not really spectacular. Just consistent at doing well enough. And that really works for them. If that's what Love turns out to be, we'll be just fine.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
15 Oct 2023 11:13
Pugger wrote:
13 Oct 2023 07:27
Scott4Pack wrote:

Sure thing. I remember that Love has as much working against him (stuff that is beyond his own control) as he has going for him. With the turnover on this team, he is fighting an uphill battle to begin. But he's been game so far. I'm actually excited about him. I think we will have him for a while.

And just look at Jared Goff. He had moments earlier in his career. But he's really only blossomed since going to Detroit under Campbell. Now, he's literally a very solid QB. Not really spectacular. Just consistent at doing well enough. And that really works for them. If that's what Love turns out to be, we'll be just fine.
Jared Goff went to the Super Bowl with the Rams

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Careful using that a a criterion. :) There's a long list of SB QBs that were average to mediocre except for that one year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Half Empty wrote:
15 Oct 2023 14:29
Careful using that a a criterion. :) There's a long list of SB QBs that were average to mediocre except for that one year.
really? please name all these average QB's that played in a SB, and average by what definition?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
15 Oct 2023 17:32
Half Empty wrote:
really? please name all these average QB's that played in a SB, and average by what definition?
Wrecks Grossman comes to mind. Considerably below average.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
Half Empty wrote:
Goff, Jimmy G, Jalen Hurts, Trent Dilfer.

Tons of average qbs have made a SB, less have won one.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
15 Oct 2023 17:37
Yoop wrote:
Half Empty wrote:
Wrecks Grossman comes to mind. Considerably below average.
ahhh man how could I forget the 2006 Monsters of the Midway and Wrecks, good one :clap: there are exceptions.

Rex Grossman compiled a career-high 148.0 passer rating during the Chicago Bears 34-7 win against the Detroit Lions on September 17, 2006 (minimum 14 pass attempts).

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The list is long even recently, Matt Ryan, Nick Foles, cam newton, kaepernick, joe Flacco…it goes on and on haha

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
15 Oct 2023 18:33
The list is long even recently, Matt Ryan, Nick Foles, cam newton, kaepernick, joe Flacco…it goes on and on haha
your definition of average, and mine have no comparison, there isn't a average one in that bunch.