Tanking?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Well we already paid a lot of our best players. The rest of the guys are so young. If you really want to tank, the guy to trade is Gary. I doubt the org has the stomach for that. Gary might could get a 1 plus some other loot, Watson also probably could fetch a 2. The rest either lack value or are too much of a dead cap hit for our org to consider. I don’t think we have to intentionally tank to end up with a top ten pick. This team is headed for that anyways.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Oct 2023 18:59
Watson also probably could fetch a 2.
:lol:

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

I don't ever want the Packers to tank. At 2-3 it's way too early to suggest something like it anyway.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I could understand tanking IF the Packers had an old team and were faced with a multi-year rebuild. That is not the team we have.

This team needs to learn to be tough and win. Now. Nothing would help next season's prospects more than to sneak into the playoffs.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Just what is tanking? To me, it's losing on purpose, and you can take that mentality, put some mustard on it and shove right up your ass. I think that's how the saying goes.

The rest of the time, maybe you don't put Aaron Jones back on the field if he could use another week of recovery or you might try out a new offensive line combo when you know what you have in your QB or something, sure. But whoever you're putting on the field, if you don't attack practice like you're in it to win it and approach the game the same way and put those young guys in the best absolute position to win, prepare to lose for a long time. Because players are playing for their livelihood and they'll know if you're not with them.

and for this team, they need to find out how to win and sustain, playing not to win for a draft pick would be about the dumbest thing they could do.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
15 Oct 2023 06:51
Just what is tanking? To me, it's losing on purpose, and you can take that mentality, put some mustard on it and shove right up your ass. I think that's how the saying goes.

The rest of the time, maybe you don't put Aaron Jones back on the field if he could use another week of recovery or you might try out a new offensive line combo when you know what you have in your QB or something, sure. But whoever you're putting on the field, if you don't attack practice like you're in it to win it and approach the game the same way and put those young guys in the best absolute position to win, prepare to lose for a long time. Because players are playing for their livelihood and they'll know if you're not with them.

and for this team, they need to find out how to win and sustain, playing not to win for a draft pick would be about the dumbest thing they could do.
your best players will want out, Fans will not attend games, season ticket holders wont renew

sure as others have said, the way a team gets around the impression there tanking for better drafts is to trade all there ol vets or cash cow players

there is even talk about that concerning the Packers, cept we don't really have anyone teams are interested in, so I guess we don't have to worry about that.

I see a team pretty close, others believe we don't have a snow balls chance, I know I'am not main stream, probably to optimistic, I think it's a age thing :lol:

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

I don't like the word "tank" but I suppose it fits. I always want the Packers to win and have a more positive outlook than some. However, If things are not going well I could see making some difficult choices for getting more draft capital. It would be nice to draft a few O-lineman next spring.

Is Gary going to be worth what he more than likely will command salary wise? Does Aaron Jones have any value to anyone? (I hate that idea because he is such a good guy/player/lockerroom presence.)

You cannot trade Watson because he is still on his rooking contract and that too me would make no sense, despite what Wallyuwl would tell you :lol:
They probably will decide at the end of the year if LOVE is in their future plans. IM rambling.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

German_Panzer wrote:
11 Oct 2023 12:42
Maybe a bit premature or is it? :lol: Would you consider it right now as a GM? I would. Love is not the second coming of Christ and one can see already that this very team will not be able to win a SB. Then why not tank now and get the best „seats“ for the draft? When „tanking“ I never mean to lose bluntly but to just twist and try some things that you wouldnt do had you a real shot bc it decreases your winning chances.

Whats your stance on this issue right now?
This topic comes up every year. Somebody will bring it up, even in years that we win 13 games. Eish.

The clear and only answer is NEVER.

The moment that a losing attitude is allowed, let alone encouraged, is the same moment that our organization slips back to what we had in the late 70s and early 80s. Or worse, we could become like da Bears!
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Oct 2023 14:23
I’m a big proponent of tanking. It’s the best way to get an elite player that can be franchise changing.
Nope. Doesn't work that way. Just look at the results of MANY of the highest draft picks. The idea of a top ten pick landing an elite talent has some merit, but it isn't a sure thing. Good organizations are more likely to land elite players by doing their scouting well and drafting according to the results.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
I’m a big proponent of tanking. It’s the best way to get an elite player that can be franchise changing.
I think only for a QB.

Sure Nic Bosa is awesome, would they really be any worse with Gary over Bosa, short of the ACL? They’d still be 5-0 right now. They’d still have the same amount of super bowls.

49ers are the new Patriots. Many point to them and say, that’s how we should be run. Like they are the norm and not an extreme outlier and it’s reproducible.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

In a way, the.Packers are tanking and we’re all witnessing it.

Gute has put together an offense that is so young that it will be pretty difficult to get any consistency. A lot has to do with the cap, but not all. He has draft picks he could trade, like the Jets 2nd rounder but he’s holding on to them and I don’t blame him. At this stage I would too..

They aren’t going to win the SB in Loves 1at year, so why not wait it out, keep all your picks, and get a better draft position at the same time. In addition the cap hell will start to lessen in 2024.

So, while I believe ML is trying his best to win games, Gutey, has already made sure that this year will be a bust. It’s a reset or a rebuild or whatever you want to call it but Gute isn’t trying to win this year. And again I think it’s better in the long run.
Love is the answer…

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Foosball wrote:
15 Oct 2023 23:46

Gute has put together an offense that is so young that it will be pretty difficult to get any consistency. A lot has to do with the cap, but not all. He has draft picks he could trade, like the Jets 2nd rounder but he’s holding on to them and I don’t blame him. At this stage I would too..

They aren’t going to win the SB in Loves 1at year, so why not wait it out, keep all your picks, and get a better draft position at the same time. In addition the cap hell will start to lessen in 2024.

So, while I believe ML is trying his best to win games, Gutey, has already made sure that this year will be a bust. It’s a reset or a rebuild or whatever you want to call it but Gute isn’t trying to win this year. And again I think it’s better in the long run.
I agree with you but I would not call it tanking. I would call it preparation for a long run. But I would still be looking for a replacement for Newman and another Rasul Douglas who can play safety. Getting Love hurt and him losing a step for the rest of his career is worth upgrading at guard. And there are ways of doing that without losing any of next spring's draft picks.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

MY_TAKE wrote:
15 Oct 2023 07:35
They probably will decide at the end of the year if LOVE is in their future plans. IM rambling.
I'm absolutely convinced Love gets another season as the team's starter in 2024 to prove he's a legit one in the NFL. That might only change if the team ends up with the first overall pick and a chance to select Caleb Williams.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Foosball wrote:

rebuilding isn't tanking, thats not even a stretch, completely different, no way Guty could fore see health issues, which is a fair defense for many of the issues we are facing this season, we may be the youngest team in the league, but having Bakhtiari, Jones, Watson etc full strength and it's very likely this team is 4-1.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I am in favor of GM-tanking (coach involvement optional) in limited situations.

But yeah, sorry OP, but it is kind of ridiculous to suggest it this early. And for a 2-3 team at that. Those two wins already make it very difficult to try and race to the bottom.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Yoop wrote:
16 Oct 2023 06:50
Foosball wrote:

rebuilding isn't tanking, thats not even a stretch, completely different, no way Guty could fore see health issues, which is a fair defense for many of the issues we are facing this season, we may be the youngest team in the league, but having Bakhtiari, Jones, Watson etc full strength and it's very likely this team is 4-1.
My point is Gute could do more this season to help the team. He’s not so he can get higher draft picks. That’s similar to to tanking. Call it what you want.
Love is the answer…

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I would not call a young team figuring things out, tanking. Whoever is on the field is playing to win, the coaches are coaching to win, the GM is getting rid of the old and trying to get younger better players. That's not tanking. At least not to me.

You can't avoid roster turnover, you cant avoid injuries, or youth, or growing pains etc. That's part of it. What's not part of it, is sitting guys who can play, not putting in time to get a gameplan you think can win, not giving effort, not putting guys in position to win on purpose, faking injuries, or otherwise sabotaging everyone else's hard work to get the L instead of a W. it's playing to lose.

Playing with youth to develop and get better is not tanking.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Foosball wrote:
16 Oct 2023 08:23
Yoop wrote:
16 Oct 2023 06:50
Foosball wrote:

My point is Gute could do more this season to help the team. He’s not so he can get higher draft picks. That’s similar to to tanking. Call it what you want.
how? we are so cap strapped and dollar short it's debatable whether we can even extend Love prior to the new league year in March.

nah, I think Gute has done just about all he can, he simply neglected to do some things prior, no one tanks the first year with a new QB, unless they plan to replace said QB, and we havn't seen enough of Love to make that determination. :aok:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

BF004 wrote:
15 Oct 2023 12:41
lupedafiasco wrote:
I think only for a QB.

Sure Nic Bosa is awesome, would they really be any worse with Gary over Bosa, short of the ACL? They’d still be 5-0 right now. They’d still have the same amount of super bowls.

49ers are the new Patriots. Many point to them and say, that’s how we should be run. Like they are the norm and not an extreme outlier and it’s reproducible.
Yep, this. The only way I would be ok with something like this is if this team goes on a big slide the rest of the year, and we're sitting at like 3-10 with 4 games left and it becomes obvious that Jordan Love doesn't have it. Not saying I think that right now but if that's where we're sitting 2 months from now, then yeah, I think you "do what you need to do" to ensure you have the #1 overall pick and get that QB.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Two things. First, who needs to decide it's obvious, and how would they do that after 13 games of QBing this sort of team? Real question, not trying to be argumentative. Second, if they're 3-10, do you expect that to be the worst record at the time? If not, there's not much point in tanking to try and get the #1 spot (protecting the #1 spot if they've already got it is another thing). And, as long as I'm at it, what would tanking look like, such that it wouldn't be obvious to league (if that does matter)? I know the NBA gets hammered for sitting healthy stars to prepare for the playoffs, but is that a viable option for NFL teams?