Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
20 Oct 2023 11:29
if you just count 3 quarters. :idn:
Yeah, but just counting three quarters of play is preposterous, so....
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
20 Oct 2023 11:37
Yoop wrote:
so then you refuse to accept reality in that KC played harder till they didn't have to, and that Loves struggled as a result of KC playing harder, you know, the way it actually happened :rotf:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The KC loss is on Lafleur. He didnt adjust the gameplan at all and pretended Rodgers was the starter.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
20 Oct 2023 11:51
Labrev wrote:
Yoop wrote:
so then you refuse to accept reality in that KC played harder till they didn't have to, and that Loves struggled as a result of KC playing harder, you know, the way it actually happened :rotf:
WTF, how did they not have to play hard? Giving up that score let us back into the game, we just needed our defense to force them off the field and get the ball back.

If the game was so over, why did they not pull Mahomes and have the backup play spot duty?
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
20 Oct 2023 11:27
my impression was that you glossed over the rush, simply because you didn't want to admit that the protection sucked, and Love just had to learn to deal with it.
But I did say it sucked. Multiple times. I then said, pass rush notwithstanding, that Love needs to improve his level of performance in that area because pressure is something he will deal with his entire career, like it or not.

You chose to ignore those acknowledgments and instead equate my difference in emphasis as refuting the entire conversation. That’s on you. You’re essentially arguing points I never made.
Yoop wrote:
which to me is being obtuse ( I hate that word, but for lack of a better one) Pass rush issue lead to so many of the other issues we are seeing, abandoning the pocket when the rush isn't even close, seriously now, that doesn't just happen, thats a result of the pass rush occupying a portion of the gray matter, same with the poor tech, the inaccuracy, it's a good guess to assume are also stems of poor pass pro, imo one leads to another.
my point I think is that you took the poor blocking to lightly.
And here we have it - again - your own personal point of emphasis.

So I’ll say it, too, again: pass rush will always be there to some degree. A QB, any QB, needs to be able to perform when placed in those pressure situations. Standing in the pocket and delivering a consistently accurate ball. Scrambling away and delivering a consistently accurate ball.

Deliver a consistently accurate ball despite the pressure. It’s a trait every successful QB needs to develop.

I get what you’re saying. The pocket skittishness that happened with David Carr, for example. But understand what I’m saying: Love needs to get past that, trust his blocking when it’s there, recognize when it is not and respond accordingly, all while functioning as a competent QB.

David Carr never figured it out. He was not successful. Love needs to. It is an essential trait to being a successful QB.

I’m not sure I can put it in any plainer terms than that.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
20 Oct 2023 12:05
Yoop wrote:
my impression was that you glossed over the rush, simply because you didn't want to admit that the protection sucked, and Love just had to learn to deal with it.
But I did say it sucked. Multiple times. I then said, pass rush notwithstanding, that Love needs to improve his level of performance in that area because pressure is something he will deal with his entire career, like it or not.

You chose to ignore those acknowledgments and instead equate my difference in emphasis as refuting the entire conversation. That’s on you. You’re essentially arguing points I never made.
Yoop wrote:
which to me is being obtuse ( I hate that word, but for lack of a better one) Pass rush issue lead to so many of the other issues we are seeing, abandoning the pocket when the rush isn't even close, seriously now, that doesn't just happen, thats a result of the pass rush occupying a portion of the gray matter, same with the poor tech, the inaccuracy, it's a good guess to assume are also stems of poor pass pro, imo one leads to another.

So I’ll say it, too, again: pass rush will always be there to some degree. A QB, any QB, needs to be able to perform when placed in those pressure situations. Standing in the pocket and delivering a consistently accurate ball. Scrambling away and delivering a consistently accurate ball.

Deliver a consistently accurate ball despite the pressure. It’s a trait every successful QB needs to develop.

I get what you’re saying. The pocket skittishness that happened with David Carr, for example. But understand what I’m saying: Love needs to get past that, trust his blocking when it’s there, recognize when it is not and respond accordingly, all while functioning as a competent QB.

David Carr never figured it out. He was not successful. Love needs to. It is an essential trait to being a successful QB.

I heard you say all that, your just refusing to listen to my point :swear: , believe me, no one wants Love to succeed any more then ME :)

there are hundreds of David Carr's who never got it because there going through what Jordan Love has had to deal with, scratch that, thousands, the worst possible thing to happen to a young QB is what Love is dealing with this season. the ability to successfully deal with pass rush is a learned thing, and that comes about gradually as he develops faith in his blocking, which has been long coming this season

to think that more of the same pressure will teach him to acquire that? imo that will just make it harder, the skittishness happens as a result of not trusting the blocking, and that comes as a result of free rushers, which he has faced every game this season, add the lack experience and poor play from receivers, and Love looks doomed to failure
Last edited by Yoop on 20 Oct 2023 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
Yoop wrote:
wasn't 3 quarters though, it was over 55 minutes, if you don't think there defense let off as the minutes ticked away, I think your fooling yourself, that doesn't mean we new any more about Love then, then we know right now, just cause there defenses wasn't balls out doesn't mean it wasn't good enough, obviously, as that article alludes to, that was one of KC's offenses worst games.

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/1211 ... -nfl-start

Story of the Game
In a low-scoring, error-ridden contest, the Chiefs came out victorious courtesy of 13 first-half points - but this was a Kansas City performance side still very much short of their best form.

The Chiefs, leading the league in giveaways this season - 19 through their first eight games - at least avoided any turnovers, but their usually explosive offense accounted for only 237 yards of total offense, 64 of which came on their opening drive.

Patrick Mahomes, who completed only 20 of 37 passes for 166 yards, found tight end Travis Kelce for the touchdown to cap a 15-play drive on their first offensive series. But Kansas City would add just two second-quarter field goals to their score for the rest of the game.

As for the Packers, having to do without reigning league MVP Aaron Rodgers following his much-publicised absence to Covid-19, they were understandably rusty on offense in Love's first career start.

The second-year quarterback went 19 of 34 for 190 yards, with one touchdown and one interception. His first touchdown pass in the NFL, a 20-yarder to Allen Lazard - came with four minutes and 54 seconds left in the contest as Green Bay briefly threatened a late comeback, only for the Chiefs to run out the remainder of the clock.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
20 Oct 2023 16:38
Labrev wrote:
Yoop wrote:
wasn't 3 quarters though, it was over 55 minutes, if you don't think there defense let off as the minutes ticked away, I think your fooling yourself, that doesn't mean we new any more about Love then, then we know right now, just cause there defenses wasn't balls out doesn't mean it wasn't good enough, obviously, as that article alludes to, that was one of KC's offenses worst games.

Okay, then go tell the NFL/Goodell to award us the win in Week 2 because you think were playing better for over 55 minutes and you don't feel like the final minutes accurately reflects reality, and see how smart of an argument that is. The laughter in your face will be the answer.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
20 Oct 2023 16:47
Yoop wrote:
20 Oct 2023 16:38
Labrev wrote:

Okay, then go tell the NFL/Goodell to award us the win in Week 2 because you think were playing better for over 55 minutes and you don't feel like the final minutes accurately reflects reality, and see how smart of an argument that is. The laughter in your face will be the answer.
:bkw:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
20 Oct 2023 14:20
APB wrote:
20 Oct 2023 12:05
Yoop wrote:

Yoop wrote:

I heard you say all that, your just refusing to listen to my point :swear: , believe me, no one wants Love to succeed any more then ME :)

there are hundreds of David Carr's who never got it because there going through what Jordan Love has had to deal with, scratch that, thousands, the worst possible thing to happen to a young QB is what Love is dealing with this season. the ability to successfully deal with pass rush is a learned thing, and that comes about gradually as he develops faith in his blocking, which has been long coming this season

to think that more of the same pressure will teach him to acquire that? imo that will just make it harder, the skittishness happens as a result of not trusting the blocking, and that comes as a result of free rushers, which he has faced every game this season, add the lack experience and poor play from receivers, and Love looks doomed to failure
Fine. He is doomed to failure.

…until he learns how to be effective in the face of pressure.

Good day, sir.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Love hasn't always done himself any favors when confronted with pressure. Part of this is MLFs fault though. He needs to coach things into him and call a better game if pressure becomes an overwhelming issue.

For instance, on film, Love has had some fairly easy pitch and catch check down throws that he has passed up and probably shouldnt have.

Look to shorter/quicker routes. 3 step drops etc. (recievers need to get on the same page too)

Recognizing the defense and gettting the blocking set up correctly for increased success.

Chip blocking dominate pass rushers. (this only helps if the RB or TE doesn't completely wiff on the block however. :clap: :lol:

Just some thoughts

I guess thats why he gets this season to improve and ultimately prove he can be that guy.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

MY_TAKE wrote:
20 Oct 2023 23:39
Love hasn't always done himself any favors when confronted with pressure. Part of this is MLFs fault though. He needs to coach things into him and call a better game if pressure becomes an overwhelming issue.

For instance, on film, Love has had some fairly easy pitch and catch check down throws that he has passed up and probably shouldnt have.

Look to shorter/quicker routes. 3 step drops etc. (recievers need to get on the same page too)

Recognizing the defense and gettting the blocking set up correctly for increased success.

Chip blocking dominate pass rushers. (this only helps if the RB or TE doesn't completely wiff on the block however. :clap: :lol:

Just some thoughts

I guess thats why he gets this season to improve and ultimately prove he can be that guy.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
21 Oct 2023 07:40
MY_TAKE wrote:
20 Oct 2023 23:39

Just some thoughts

:clap: best 4 minutes of the morning, I watched it twice :clap: chuck it up el Farvo :rotf: Yikes I did it again

:lol:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I feel like that late INT will be the last straw for most of the fan base. It would take a miracle for him to regain whatever good will & patience he had accrued prior.

Am I overreacting? :idn:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
22 Oct 2023 18:37
I feel like that late INT will be the last straw for most of the fan base. It would take a miracle for him to regain whatever good will & patience he had accrued prior.

I mean he can always get it back. Just win games.

But I think when you have the CrazyLegStarks and go pak go's of the world, pretty "say it how we see it" fans start saying they just don't see Love as the guy...it's not a good sign for Love.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

BF004 wrote:
20 Oct 2023 06:59
Lol you guys are too funny.

Just never seen anyone show just TD, Int, fumble rating before and only those 4.
While passer rating isn't perfect by any means it's most likely still the best metric available to compare QBs on a weekly basis.
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Oct 2023 09:30
What's wrong with the backup QB from Penn State?
There's no reason to advocate for the Packers to start Clifford. Love needs to be given the entire season for the team to figure out if he's capable of developing into a legit starter.
Labrev wrote:
20 Oct 2023 11:24
I actually think that, when the difference in QB play is 5.3 QBR, you do not deserve the right to say you "outplayed" the other guy. So in fact I actually do think Love was better, because he had to play harder to get what was roughly the same stat-line as an established QB got in a way more favorable setting.

If there were ever a game to grade a guy on a curve, it would be a guy's first-ever start, in hostile territory, against a good defense, and against whom he did not get the week to prep as QB1.

Yet the excuses used to absolve Rodgers in any and every situation are nowhere to be found for Love in KC, even though the exact same excuses apply (bad ST play). So we see that the excusemakers, except maybe yoop, do not actually care about those things being bad. They are just mindlessly fanboying for their god.
It's true that Love was thrown into a difficult situation making his first start on the road in Kansas City. There's no denying he struggled for most of the game though. It's irrelevant that Mahomes didn't perform at a high level as well as that doesn't change anything about the way Love played.

With that being said no one should have made any final evaluation of him based on that game. Nor should that be done after him starting for another six games this season.

As a side note, he had the entire week to prepare for that game though (Rodgers was ruled out before practice on Wednesday).

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

We are now seeing why Gute bent over and gave Rodgers the extension last year. He was not ready to start on the clock on his dismissal.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:

just another very bad decision, he has to stop throwing into double coverage deep, has to make better decisions, has to trust his eyes and get rid of the ball on schedule, seriously, he is late on practically every pass he throws, and he has also been inaccurate to often.

In his defense he has inconsistent OL and receivers, Love needs help to play better and he's not getting much help from either.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 07:41
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

just another very bad decision, he has to stop throwing into double coverage deep, has to make better decisions, has to trust his eyes and get rid of the ball on schedule, seriously, he is late on practically every pass he throws, and he has also been inaccurate to often.

In his defense he has inconsistent OL and receivers, Love needs help to play better and he's not getting much help from either.
I guess we hoped that Love would be able to cover for inexperienced WR's and a rookie TE. He can't. But at least there is hope for the receivers.

I have lost hope on the Oline. I was always skeptical of players returning from an ACL. It seemed to me that they never returned to 100%, they always lost quickness. They often became injury prone. Looks to me that Jenkins is not an exception after all. Except for Tom, there is no Olineman who is more than just a guy and many should not be starting.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

For me, it's not even the INT at the end. He was trying to make something happen. Bad decision, but even good QB's make that mistake on 3rd and 20 and needing to get in Field Goal position when literally zero WR's have separation.

For me, it's everything leading up to that. For 3 straight weeks now, we've seen horrendous play in the first half. The scripted plays are not being executed. Zero confidence to throw downfield. Throwing late (the Watson play where he got hurt in the 4th quarter).

If things don't turn around quickly, things are going to get really ugly. I don't really like College Football so I'm not sure how many actual franchise changing QB's are going to be available in Round 1, but if we drop the next 2 and are sitting at 2-6, I think we for sure want to get in the Top 3 or 5 picks depending on what the QB market will look like. Coming back and beating the Saints might have done more harm than good.