State of QB play in NFL, 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
18 Oct 2023 07:44
CWIMM wrote:
18 Oct 2023 04:58
While you might not agree with the Niners having had success in the draft the numbers support that notion.
Oh, I don't dispute the 49ers having had some success with some recent draft picks. They've found some good players, notably in later rounds. They've also had their share of blundering misses, though. I outlined those examples in the other thread.

My pushback is derived from the consistent fawning over anything 49ers related and the perception they are outwardly better than everybody else in their draft selections. They're not. They make their share of mistakes, just like every other org.
But they were crappy for a couple of years and were able to draft high in a few rounds. If you strike gold on a couple of these kids you can really reap the rewards.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

CWIMM wrote:
19 Oct 2023 02:53
APB wrote:
18 Oct 2023 07:44
Oh, I don't dispute the 49ers having had some success with some recent draft picks. They've found some good players, notably in later rounds. They've also had their share of blundering misses, though. I outlined those examples in the other thread.

My pushback is derived from the consistent fawning over anything 49ers related and the perception they are outwardly better than everybody else in their draft selections. They're not. They make their share of mistakes, just like every other org.
There's no doubt the Niners have messed up in the draft as well with Trey Lance being the worst pick over the past few years. They have had more success in adding talent that way than most teams since 2018, including the Packers though.
MY_TAKE wrote:
18 Oct 2023 22:15
Well, he is 25 years old so, no, he is not near HOF YET! Could he be? I don't see why not. Time will tell. BTW, his running ability would be one of the reasons he makes HOF as a QB. You can't discount that. Its a little oxymoronic. Lamar Jackson won MVP because of his added abilty to run. IF you start winning MVP's your gonna get votes for HOF if you play long enough. Jalen Hurts played well in a superbowl already so thats not a horrible thing to have on a resume at only 25 years old. Just saying :clap:
In my opinion a quarterback needs to be a much better passer than Lamar and Hurts to ever come close to making it to the HOF.
Fortunately for Philly Hurts is still relatively young so time will tell.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Pugger wrote:
21 Oct 2023 10:34
But they were crappy for a couple of years and were able to draft high in a few rounds. If you strike gold on a couple of these kids you can really reap the rewards.
While you're right that definitely helped the Niners draft some talented players they still managed to select All-Pros Fred Warner, Deebo Samuel and Talanoa Hufanga after the first round since 2018.