Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Acrobat wrote:
23 Oct 2023 07:55
For me, it's not even the INT at the end. He was trying to make something happen. Bad decision, but even good QB's make that mistake on 3rd and 20 and needing to get in Field Goal position when literally zero WR's have separation.

For me, it's everything leading up to that. For 3 straight weeks now, we've seen horrendous play in the first half. The scripted plays are not being executed. Zero confidence to throw downfield. Throwing late (the Watson play where he got hurt in the 4th quarter).

If things don't turn around quickly, things are going to get really ugly. I don't really like College Football so I'm not sure how many actual franchise changing QB's are going to be available in Round 1, but if we drop the next 2 and are sitting at 2-6, I think we for sure want to get in the Top 3 or 5 picks depending on what the QB market will look like. Coming back and beating the Saints might have done more harm than good.
Don't worry, it is not likely to happen again. :(

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If Love isn’t the guy, it is considerably better he show it right away so we can move on.

We don’t want to get stuck in a Daniel Jones limbo.

Gute needs to be willing to turn the page if he needs to, swallow some pride. Chiefs moved away from a pro bowl QB in Alex Smith. The Rams moved away from a qb that got them to the SB. The 49ers were willing to move off a QB that got them to the SB and another QB they put 3 firsts into. Gotta be willing to make the hard decisions that seems like the long road sometimes.

I don’t know if we are there yet, frankly don’t think we need to really think about it all that much for 11 more games thankfully.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

BF004 wrote:
23 Oct 2023 08:01
If Love isn’t the guy, it is considerably better he show it right away so we can move on.

Gute needs to be willing to turn the page if he needs to, swallow some pride. Chiefs moved away from a pro bowl QB in Alex Smith. The Rams moved away from a qb that got them to the SB. The 49ers were willing to move off a QB that got them to the SB and another QB they put 3 firsts into. Gotta be willing to make the hard decisions that seems like the long road sometimes.

I don’t know if we are there yet, frankly don’t think we need to really think about it all that much for 11 more games thankfully.
Yep, I think the worst thing that could happen is that Love shows "enough" when in reality, he doesn't have it, and then Gute and MLF put all their eggs in that basket.

Man, I really do hope he turns it around, and yes there are other factors involved (injuries, horrendous OL play), but at this moment it is not looking great.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
23 Oct 2023 07:53
Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 07:41
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
22 Oct 2023 18:37
I feel like that late INT will be the last straw for most of the fan base. It would take a miracle for him to regain whatever good will & patience he had accrued prior.

Am I overreacting? :idn:
just another very bad decision, he has to stop throwing into double coverage deep, has to make better decisions, has to trust his eyes and get rid of the ball on schedule, seriously, he is late on practically every pass he throws, and he has also been inaccurate to often.

In his defense he has inconsistent OL and receivers, Love needs help to play better and he's not getting much help from either.
I guess we hoped that Love would be able to cover for inexperienced WR's and a rookie TE. He can't. But at least there is hope for the receivers.

I have lost hope on the Oline. I was always skeptical of players returning from an ACL. It seemed to me that they never returned to 100%, they always lost quickness. They often became injury prone. Looks to me that Jenkins is not an exception after all. Except for Tom, there is no Olineman who is more than just a guy and many should not be starting.
It takes more time for big guys to recover, and they often have set backs because there stressing it more then smaller guys who don't have to wall off 330lb NT's.

Stenavich is over seeing the OL decisions now, so not sure why your giving him a pass, we have a 2nd year 7th round LT, a LG barely a year removed from a ACL, a below average C, a below average RG, and a average RT, and thats the nucleus of why Love is struggling.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 08:08
TheSkeptic wrote:
23 Oct 2023 07:53
Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 07:41

just another very bad decision, he has to stop throwing into double coverage deep, has to make better decisions, has to trust his eyes and get rid of the ball on schedule, seriously, he is late on practically every pass he throws, and he has also been inaccurate to often.

In his defense he has inconsistent OL and receivers, Love needs help to play better and he's not getting much help from either.
I guess we hoped that Love would be able to cover for inexperienced WR's and a rookie TE. He can't. But at least there is hope for the receivers.

I have lost hope on the Oline. I was always skeptical of players returning from an ACL. It seemed to me that they never returned to 100%, they always lost quickness. They often became injury prone. Looks to me that Jenkins is not an exception after all. Except for Tom, there is no Olineman who is more than just a guy and many should not be starting.
It takes more time for big guys to recover, and they often have set backs because there stressing it more then smaller guys who don't have to wall off 330lb NT's.

Stenavich is over seeing the OL decisions now, so not sure why your giving him a pass, we have a 2nd year 7th round LT, a LG barely a year removed from a ACL, a below average C, a below average RG, and a average RT, and thats the nucleus of why Love is struggling.
Well now those two things just aren't true. I'll admit the OL as a unit and some individually are a dumpster fire right now, but again, I always think its important to be accurate.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:

no way we are giving up on Love yet, we need to block better, we just are not getting down and distance trying to establish the run, not consistently enough anyway.

I don't know who is dialing up these short quick hitter pass routes, but common sense says the closer 2 receivers are to one another the easier both are to defend, and we are so obvious pre snap that defenses spot it before we even snap the ball, Lafleur and Vrable need to do a much better job.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 08:23
BF004 wrote:

no way we are giving up on Love yet, we need to block better, we just are not getting down and distance trying to establish the run, not consistently enough anyway.

I don't know who is dialing up these short quick hitter pass routes, but common sense says the closer 2 receivers are to one another the easier both are to defend, and we are so obvious pre snap that defenses spot it before we even snap the ball, Lafleur and Vrable need to do a much better job.
You guys are right. As annoyed as I was again last night, you just can't pull the plug until you verify " brain death" or in other words not related to my profession "he is NOT the guy".

First Round Pick QB (first year starting) gets a year. Because he is not a rookie, one should be able to make some reasonable assumptions after one season starting.
The Packers ran the ball ok last night. They had some 2 down and 4, 5 or 6's. Just my opinion but Favre and Rodgers would easily have put up 30+ on Denver yesterday. I think I am right.

He has 11 more games to give us some "WOW" plays to make me believe he is the guy. They don't have to win all the time, but he does have to show more. Its not ALL on him, but some of it is. I don't want just a guy thats average, because that generally won't get you anywhere you want to ultimatley go.

GO PACK! CMON JORDON LOVE!!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Way too early for any chatter about moving on from
love. Gotta give him and Lafleur the entire year to make their marriage work, and then have an extremely short leash next season.

However, I would still draft a qb no matter what love does if a great prospect is available
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Everyone should have known when Love got his contract.

They saw him every day for three years and thought this guy isn't good enough for 5th year and Love's team seemingly agreed by accepting it.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
23 Oct 2023 13:34

They saw him every day for three years and thought this guy isn't good enough for 5th year and Love's team seemingly agreed by accepting it.
Yup. that was very telling.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Acrobat wrote:
23 Oct 2023 13:39
Benkart nice guy but he has a vendetta against mlf.

His point is when quote qb throws into double or triple coverage it is on the wr to fight everyone on the field and get a PI call. Silly.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

And TT drafted Brian Brohm in the first year Rodgers was named starter, should everyone have known they did not see him as one? :thwap:

They saw Rodgers then and Love now everyday for three years in practice. There is no substitute for real games though. Being good in practice is no guarantee of being good as a full-time starter. It just earns you the opportunity to get onto the field, which they both got.

Coaches usually do not bother even trying players who are not good in practice. We could have just stuck with Rodgers and traded Love, especially if LaFleur needed him so desperately as people now claim (MLF did not seem as adamant to stick with him as years past).

Not extending his option was simply an admission that we do not truly know what we have in him until he starts a full season.
Last edited by Labrev on 23 Oct 2023 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:

no one knows for sure how a QB will do till the real bullets fly, even then it takes a bunch of games, Ted didn't know with Rodgers any more then Gute or Lafleur new with Love, and Love is better then the product we see now.

Rodgers struggled last year with the same stuff Love is dealing with now.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:18
And TT drafted Brian Brohm in the first year Rodgers was named starter, should everyone have known they did not see him as one? :thwap:

They saw Rodgers then and Love now everyday for three years in practice. There is no substitute for real games though. Being good in practice is no guarantee of being good as a full-time starter. It just earns you the opportunity to get onto the field, which they both got.
After AR was a starter a few years, Driver, MM, and others said they knew AR would be very good early on (Driver mentioned one particular play in practice in summer 2005) before he started. They said they didn't know he would be Godgers, but he would be a good NFL starter. The Packers had a need for a backup in 2008, so Brohm was less about insurance in case AR didn't work out (though it was partially), it was more about trying to get a backup and they thought a good one fell into their lap.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:19
bud fox wrote:

no one knows for sure how a QB will do till the real bullets fly, even then it takes a bunch of games, Ted didn't know with Rodgers any more then Gute or Lafleur new with Love, and Love is better then the product we see now.

Rodgers struggled last year with the same stuff Love is dealing with now.
They knew what they had in Rodgers.

Rodgers had a broken thumb last year.

Rodgers won mvp behind a line that didn't have bahk or Jenkins.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

bud fox wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:15
Acrobat wrote:
23 Oct 2023 13:39
Benkart nice guy but he has a vendetta against mlf.

His point is when quote qb throws into double or triple coverage it is on the wr to fight everyone on the field and get a PI call. Silly.
Not necessarily. Now I don't like the throw but a really good WR knows what to do in that scenario. On the flip side, as a QB, you gotta know if you have that type of WR before throwing into double coverage like that.
Last edited by Acrobat on 23 Oct 2023 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

its an outright lie that teams dont have "an idea" of what they have after 3 years of the player being in the building and at practice.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

wallyuwl wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:22
Labrev wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:18

After AR was a starter a few years, Driver, MM, and others said they knew AR would be very good early on (Driver mentioned one particular play in practice in summer 2005) before he started. They said they didn't know he would be Godgers, but he would be a good NFL starter. The Packers had a need for a backup in 2008, so Brohm was less about insurance in case AR didn't work out (though it was partially), it was more about trying to get a backup and they thought a good one fell into their lap.
Yeah videos support this. One of MM saying how after the first off-season he was seeing Rodgers do things in practice that were just so far superior to anything he had seen from a qb.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:28
its an outright lie that teams dont have "an idea" of what they have after 3 years of the player being in the building and at practice.
With this clueless group, they may not have known. I could actually believe that.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells