Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:28
its an outright lie that teams dont have "an idea" of what they have after 3 years of the player being in the building and at practice.
Yeah I think it was more so they had a hope that maybe it would be different when her got on the field. They however did the right thing with the contract because all evidence was he wasn't going to be the guy.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
its an outright lie that teams dont have "an idea" of what they have after 3 years of the player being in the building and at practice.
Oh I am sure they had an "idea" of what they had. What remained to be seen is what they have in extended meaningful action.

What we can be pretty confident in assuming is that they thought they had a starter, which is why they gave him the chance to start. If they didn't believe that, they stick with Rodgers and trade Love for whatever they can get.

By the way, a number of our players and coaches have vouched for Love too.
Last edited by Labrev on 23 Oct 2023 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
who's lying to you? 70% of the QB position is mental, and no one knows how to read a players mind, thats why Thompson took Bro ham and Flynn, your just looking for something to !@#$ and moan about and assign some blame.

no one is liking this, but at least some of us understand whats going on, are you still on some Rodgers trip looking to send the I told you so message?
If so, do yourself a favor and get over the past, bringing that stuff up solves nothing, have a good day, you owe that to yourself. :mrgreen:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:37
Drj820 wrote:
who's lying to you? 70% of the QB position is mental, and no one knows how to read a players mind, thats why Thompson took Bro ham and Flynn, your just looking for something to !@#$ and moan about and assign some blame.

no one is liking this, but at least some of us understand whats going on, are you still on some Rodgers trip looking to send the I told you so message?
If so, do yourself a favor and get over the past, bringing that stuff up solves nothing, have a good day, you owe that to yourself. :mrgreen:
im probably defending Love the most by saying I would give him a full year to figure out. So back off me. Im just pushing back at your constant lie that the staff didnt know what they had until he stepped on the field. They had an idea. That idea gave them the optimism to hand him the starting job, and the pessimism to not sign him to a 5th year option. I think they think like me...give him the whole year, and draft someone else if he sucks.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:35
Drj820 wrote:
Yeah I think it was more so they had a hope that maybe it would be different when her got on the field. They however did the right thing with the contract because all evidence was he wasn't going to be the guy.
what evidence was that, in the first 2 games this year almost the entire football geek squad raved about Love, he made quick decisions, was mostly accurate, and performed like a very good field general, then we had several Injury's and the pass rush/ free rushers started to rattle Love, it got even worse the next two games.

Love was doing well till the pass rush got in his head, now as we saw yesterday the crap blocking has been aided with poor game planning, poorly run pass routes and more limitations running the ball.

just like last year, it's much easier to just blame the QB then to consider why he's struggling.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

bud fox wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
The problem with having a guy like Rodgers on the team for close to 20 years is that he is so good that he makes playing the position look easy. People start to think that anybody could have made that read, made that audible, played the season with a broken thumb, etc.. "Anybody can do it, just be able to take a snap." Well hell, even my wrinkly old ass can take a snap- maybe I have a shot at the job too! :o

Guess we're finding out that playing QB in the NFL actually isn't that easy.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:41
Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:37
Drj820 wrote:

im probably defending Love the most by saying I would give him a full year to figure out. So back off me. Im just pushing back at your constant lie that the staff didnt know what they had until he stepped on the field. They had an idea. That idea gave them the optimism to hand him the starting job, and the pessimism to not sign him to a 5th year option. I think they think like me...give him the whole year, and draft someone else if he sucks.
the only person lying here is YOU, you wont listen to reason, NO ONE can know how a QB will do till after they start a hand full of games, if they could then there would be no need to trade up into top 10 slot range to get one, and those guys would pan out, however most don't.

since you don't respect what I have to say, maybe email some retired QB and ask them if any coach thought they where a sure thing before they started playing, players would be the first to say the speed at practice doesn't come close to the speed of a real game.

again any QB would struggle given what Love has had to work with.
Last edited by Yoop on 23 Oct 2023 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Papa John wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:52
bud fox wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
The problem with having a guy like Rodgers on the team for close to 20 years is that he is so good that he makes playing the position look easy. People start to think that anybody could have made that read, made that audible, played the season with a broken thumb, etc.. "Anybody can do it, just be able to take a snap." Well hell, even my wrinkly old ass can take a snap- maybe I have a shot at the job too! :o

As you have seen, many here think Rodgers and Love were equal players last season and our record would have been the same if Rodgers was not on the team. It is mind boggling to me, but hopefully rodgers will gain respect around the forum as time goes on.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Papa John wrote:
bud fox wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

100% spot on.

Rodgers would miss a throw by an inch, very rarely, and everyone would be saying how can Rodgers miss that throw. When I say everyone you know who.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:58
Papa John wrote:
bud fox wrote:

As you have seen, many here think Rodgers and Love were equal players last season and our record would have been the same if Rodgers was not on the team. It is mind boggling to me, but hopefully rodgers will gain respect around the forum as time goes on.
and they all know who they are, lol hoping they'll admit it though, well life is to short for that :rotf:

I think Love has to improve, I think outside circumstances are making that very difficult.

Will he ever be good enough, be nice to see him with better blocking, a run game, better play at receiver, those may be lofty goals, but it would better help our evaluation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I already give Rodgers the scientifically-exact and correct amount of respect, so I have no need to gain respect for him. 8-)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I keep defending Love, providing valid excuses, but it's hard to argue with this., and it is so Rodgers, not seeing open receivers because your polarized on another, in double coverage to boot.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/6-games-in ... 17138.html

That’s what Love looked like on Sunday: A bottom-third starter, at best, showcasing a continued lack of deep-throw accuracy and questionable decisions. His mediocre box score stats against Denver? They look better than the reality, if you consider how his two touchdown passes unfolded. The first, he floated a pop fly to a briefly open Romeo Doubs in the end zone that allowed Broncos cornerback Pat Surtain II to recover and effectively intercept the ball in a jointly possessed catch. By rule, the catch was awarded to Doubs, due to the dual possession always going to the offensive player. Love’s second touchdown was even more improbably lucky, as he side-armed an ill-advised short-area fastball that was a beat behind Doubs. The ball skipped off the wideout’s hands on the fourth-and-2 throw, but was snared in unbelievable fashion by rookie receiver Jayden Reed, who was crossing directly behind the play.

Eventually, that luck ran out and Love put on a display of why the Packers have to continue to be worried about where this is going. With just under two minutes left and Green Bay facing a third-and-20, Love took a snap and locked onto Samori Toure on a deep vertical route, throwing into double coverage for an easy interception. What he missed on the same play was a streaking Reed who had gotten behind safety help and a leaking running back in the left flat who had a shot to run to run for a first down. Instead, Love took the worst option and the game was over.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 15:30
Eventually, that luck ran out and Love put on a display of why the Packers have to continue to be worried about where this is going. With just under two minutes left and Green Bay facing a third-and-20, Love took a snap and locked onto Samori Toure on a deep vertical route, throwing into double coverage for an easy interception. What he missed on the same play was a streaking Reed who had gotten behind safety help and a leaking running back in the left flat who had a shot to run to run for a first down. Instead, Love took the worst option and the game was over
Exactly.
OFf topic a bit but In one of my Prop parlay bets I took the passing yards under 240.5 yds for Love and under 50.5 yards receiving for Watson. I would have loved (no pun intended) to lose. IT was only 20 bucks. Point is, I have lost complete confidence in what this team is on offense. Their basically the worst offense in the league. Easy money until Vegas catches on. I have already placed a bet next week and took the under on Loves passing yardage. Trust me ....I would rather lose the 20 bucks but its not smart to bet otherwise at this point.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

MY_TAKE wrote:
23 Oct 2023 15:46
Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 15:30
Eventually, that luck ran out and Love put on a display of why the Packers have to continue to be worried about where this is going. With just under two minutes left and Green Bay facing a third-and-20, Love took a snap and locked onto Samori Toure on a deep vertical route, throwing into double coverage for an easy interception. What he missed on the same play was a streaking Reed who had gotten behind safety help and a leaking running back in the left flat who had a shot to run to run for a first down. Instead, Love took the worst option and the game was over
Exactly.
OFf topic a bit but In one of my Prop parlay bets I took the passing yards under 240.5 yds for Love and under 50.5 yards receiving for Watson. I would have loved (no pun intended) to lose. IT was only 20 bucks. Point is, I have lost complete confidence in what this team is on offense. Their basically the worst offense in the league. Easy money until Vegas catches on. I have already placed a bet next week and took the under on Loves passing yardage. Trust me ....I would rather lose the 20 bucks but its not smart to bet otherwise at this point.
wise money :beer2:

It all started in the right direction with the win over the Bears, then we lost Jones, Bakh, and faced several quality pass rush teams, and nothing has worked ever since, but I agree this looks like a college team, course it practically is, youngest team in the league, maybe we took that a step to far. :idn:

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Love has been something else. Nothing for 3Q and come the 4Q he goes at it. Tell me there isn't people who see this? Something has to be corrected or that's game.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

BF004 wrote:
23 Oct 2023 08:01
If Love isn’t the guy, it is considerably better he show it right away so we can move on.

We don’t want to get stuck in a Daniel Jones limbo.

Gute needs to be willing to turn the page if he needs to, swallow some pride. Chiefs moved away from a pro bowl QB in Alex Smith. The Rams moved away from a qb that got them to the SB. The 49ers were willing to move off a QB that got them to the SB and another QB they put 3 firsts into. Gotta be willing to make the hard decisions that seems like the long road sometimes.

I don’t know if we are there yet, frankly don’t think we need to really think about it all that much for 11 more games thankfully.
Gutekunst shouldn't get a chance to turn the page if Love isn't the guy but should be fired for drafting him in the first place.
Labrev wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:18
We could have just stuck with Rodgers and traded Love, especially if LaFleur needed him so desperately as people now claim (MLF did not seem as adamant to stick with him as years past).
There were rumors that MLF desperately wanted Rodgers to return for this season.
Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 14:47
what evidence was that, in the first 2 games this year almost the entire football geek squad raved about Love, he made quick decisions, was mostly accurate, and performed like a very good field general, then we had several Injury's and the pass rush/ free rushers started to rattle Love, it got even worse the next two games.
Love benefitted from a good game plan over the first two games. There were a lot of wide open receivers, unfortunately that has been missing over the past few games.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Not good

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 08:21
Not good

I remember Chris Berman highlighting Favre on NFL Prime Time almost every week in the 90s for having a 300 yard game.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Oct 2023 10:11
BF004 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 08:21
Not good

I remember Chris Berman highlighting Favre on NFL Prime Time almost every week in the 90s for having a 300 yard game.
and someone did the same for Rodgers most of his career, that is till the rest of the offense declined.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
24 Oct 2023 04:24
Yoop wrote: ↑Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:47 pm

Love benefitted from a good game plan over the first two games. There were a lot of wide open receivers, unfortunately that has been missing over the past few games.
see I think it's more in depth then just that, sure some of it can be blamed on Lafleur and his game schemes, but Lafleur didn't all of a sudden forget how to scheme receivers open, imo the players, receivers are just as much to blame, along with this atrocious OL, I'am convinced that pass rush ruins more young QB's then anything else, and thats because i've seen so many young QB's ruined do to it, it gets in a QB's psyche, we are now seeing Jordan abandon the pocket at times when the rush isn't even close, and thats because it occupies his thought process.
imo the same thing happened with Rodgers to start off last season, however a ol vet like Rodgers can over come that, I have my doubts that Love will be able to unless his protection improves.

the last interception Love threw into double coverage, Lafleur relied on a rookie TE to freeze that safety, that didn't even come close to happening, so ya, not a great plan from Lafleur.

still Love should have taken the check down to Dillon, all we needed was a FG to win the game :idn: just a poor decision, again.
Last edited by Yoop on 24 Oct 2023 11:20, edited 1 time in total.