Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Interesting quote from Kraft. An angle I didn't think about for some reason. But that's on the coaching staff to make sure they aren't surprised by stuff in the 1st half. Watch the film. Its rare that a team comes out and throws something at you that you've never seen before. Maybe a few plays, but not a completely different defense. Is this a place where Rodgers is really missed?
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
24 Oct 2023 10:35
Interesting quote from Kraft. An angle I didn't think about for some reason. But that's on the coaching staff to make sure they aren't surprised by stuff in the 1st half. Watch the film. Its rare that a team comes out and throws something at you that you've never seen before. Maybe a few plays, but not a completely different defense. Is this a place where Rodgers is really missed?
I think Kraft is talking more about how the opponent plays in terms of technique and physicality. Again, that should largely be something that can be figured out through watching tape.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Kraft specifically said, "looks, scheme, safety rotation."
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It's good that they make effective adjustments between halves. I felt like that was something we have been missing for quite some time, but we get nothing out of our O in the first half, so it does not help us out much.

And an attitude I am seeing on both sides of the ball that I take issue with, is basing our gameplan around what the other team is doing, allowing the other team to dictate terms before we can play with authority... $%@# that noise, YOU go out and dictate.

I think we over-corrected from Mac with MLF. Mac's mentality was "my guy can beat your guy" and not scheming things up much (or if he did, he was not good at it). LaFleur is so into scheme that he yields tone-setting to the other team.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Oct 2023 11:07
paco wrote:
I think Kraft is talking more about how the opponent plays in terms of technique and physicality. Again, that should largely be something that can be figured out through watching tape.
That's what I would think too, but on the other hand, it's got to be a lot easier to use tape to a group of grizzled vets who've seen it all before than a bunch of kids.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
sure, makes sense that Rodgers could better utilize the so called scripted plays to expose the defense, I think his ability to understand defensive looks, helps Lafleur make better decisions setting up future play designs.

we now look like a rudderless ship because Love isn't as capable of doing this stuff, hense Lafleur has less info to make those decisions jmo.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Madcity_matt wrote:
24 Oct 2023 11:13
wallyuwl wrote:

That's what I would think too, but on the other hand, it's got to be a lot easier to use tape to a group of grizzled vets who've seen it all before than a bunch of kids.
That's another thing that makes me question MLF's ability to meet the moment.

Kids are coming out of college playing in very simple offensive schemes, then under LaFleur they are tasked with learning an offense that revolves around "the illusion of complexity" ... yet it seems like it is our own players who are being illuded.

It seems like vets are better suited to play for MLF than kids.
—Magneto

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Labrev wrote:
24 Oct 2023 11:31
Madcity_matt wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Kids are coming out of college playing in very simple offensive schemes, then under LaFleur they are tasked with learning an offense that revolves around "the illusion of complexity" ... yet it seems like it is our own players who are being illuded.

MLF is the offensive version of Capers. The players are suffering from the paralysis of analysis because the plays and scheme are so complex. May as well send Stephen Hawking out there to play.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Papa John wrote:
24 Oct 2023 11:36
MLF is the offensive version of Capers. The players are suffering from the paralysis of analysis because the plays and scheme are so complex. May as well send Stephen Hawking out there to play.
Had to laugh at this one on many different levels. I agree though and it explains alot of the struggles offensively across the board

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lafleur doesn’t seem to have a “dumbed” down version of his offense where you don’t rely on trickery…you just line up and pop the guy in front of you and get 4 yards
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

MY_TAKE wrote:
24 Oct 2023 11:56
Papa John wrote:
24 Oct 2023 11:36
Had to laugh at this one on many different levels. I agree though and it explains alot of the struggles offensively across the board
really what is it that people find to complicated with Lafleurs offense.

IMO lack of talent forced Capers to run very vanilla defenses, same now with Lafleur, a week of film study and DC knows what to expect from our run concepts, about the same with pass routes, lack of talent or experience will always force a coach to simplify his plans

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 12:04
Lafleur doesn’t seem to have a “dumbed” down version of his offense where you don’t rely on trickery…you just line up and pop the guy in front of you and get 4 yards
It makes me sick to my stomach to see coaches try to overcomplicate this game. As a coach, it's not about you and showing how smart you are. It's about putting your players in a position to succeed.

I will never forget the 2013 Super Bowl (Denver vs. Seattle), when the Broncos center snapped the ball over P. Manning's head on one of the first plays of the game. DEN was deep in their own territory, and Peyton was up at the line checking and audibling, pointing everywhere, etc. while the crowd was roaring. I remember thinking FFS, it's the first drive of the Super Bowl- just let your guys get settled in. Call a basic run play over the left guard's ass cheek. No wonder that center messed up- he was probably nervous as hell and overthinking. The point being that a confused player is a nervous player, and a nervous player gets his ass kicked.

On the flipside, Richard Sherman came out after the game and said that Seattle literally just played basic Cover 3 defense the whole game. It was nothing special.

Just focus on the fundamentals and let the players play. JMO.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
24 Oct 2023 11:28
paco wrote:
sure, makes sense that Rodgers could better utilize the so called scripted plays to expose the defense, I think his ability to understand defensive looks, helps Lafleur make better decisions setting up future play designs.

we now look like a rudderless ship because Love isn't as capable of doing this stuff, hense Lafleur has less info to make those decisions jmo.
I was thinking more about missing Rodgers in the film room. Him being able to call out what he sees and share this with the other players. No reason MLF and staff aren't doing it, but maybe Rodgers helped communicate it better (or they listen to a fellow player more than a coach). :idn:
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
24 Oct 2023 12:20
Yoop wrote:
24 Oct 2023 11:28
paco wrote:

I was thinking more about missing Rodgers in the film room. Him being able to call out what he sees and share this with the other players. No reason MLF and staff aren't doing it, but maybe Rodgers helped communicate it better (or they listen to a fellow player more than a coach). :idn:
I agree, two heads better then one so to speak.

I remember McCarthy saying Rodgers would still be watching film when he left, same thing Holmgren said about Favre, I've always felt the longer a person does a thing, the better they are at doing it, or should be.

people made a big thing out of Mike Sherman giving Favre his own room, thing is that room also had a projector, I heard rumors that Favre slept there some nights, have no way of knowing how true any of that was, but have no reason to doubt it either.

can you imagine the game film required to expose all of a CB's tendencies, or a safety? learning the habits under a variance of conditions consumes hours and hours of watching game film each week, I'am thinking at this level those safety's and CB's have learned the art of making those habits harder to trace, harder to predict, which means for a young QB there harder to pin point, so they get tricked out versus the DB.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Papa John wrote:
24 Oct 2023 12:18
Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 12:04
It makes me sick to my stomach to see coaches try to overcomplicate this game. As a coach, it's not about you and showing how smart you are. It's about putting your players in a position to succeed.

I will never forget the 2013 Super Bowl (Denver vs. Seattle), when the Broncos center snapped the ball over P. Manning's head on one of the first plays of the game. DEN was deep in their own territory, and Peyton was up at the line checking and audibling, pointing everywhere, etc. while the crowd was roaring. I remember thinking FFS, it's the first drive of the Super Bowl- just let your guys get settled in. Call a basic run play over the left guard's ass cheek. No wonder that center messed up- he was probably nervous as hell and overthinking. The point being that a confused player is a nervous player, and a nervous player gets his ass kicked.

On the flipside, Richard Sherman came out after the game and said that Seattle literally just played basic Cover 3 defense the whole game. It was nothing special.

Just focus on the fundamentals and let the players play. JMO.
You don’t need to do anything crazy when you have good players.

Seattle had great defensive players across the board. It’s one of the all time great collections of talent.

Capers had some absolutely dog &%$@ players on defense. The fan base still likes to blame Capers for having to field some of the most trash secondaries and run defenses known to man but that is the nature of Packers fans. It’s always the coaches and players on the field and never the one building the roster.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Labrev wrote:

Props for using the word "illuded" :aok:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
24 Oct 2023 13:07
Labrev wrote:

Props for using the word "illuded" :aok:
ahhhh ha, so we have the illusion of complexity, yet opposing DC's go home for early supper, so it seems our illusions of complexity illude only us, to our opposition, it's a light work week :oops: :cry:

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Labrev wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

I think it's safe to say most if not every single scheme will be far more effective with vets than kids. No money to spend on vets this year, so we've got a vet garden growing. Hopefully it yields fruit.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
24 Oct 2023 13:37
Labrev wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:

I think it's safe to say most if not every single scheme will be far more effective with vets than kids. No money to spend on vets this year, so we've got a vet garden growing. Hopefully it yields fruit.
adding to that is that MLF is and has been missing key cogs to this wheel since game one and the list keeps growing, his schemes, his plans, rely heavily on guys like Jones, Watson, and most of this OL that are either injured or playing well below expectations, Watson finally healthy enough to play has yet to play up to his late run last year, Jones has been basically a no show, both incorporate a lot of MLF play designs for this season, that had to become a closed chapter these last 4 games, not as though we have a bunch of players to build a offense around, losing those two has imo been a real set back, add everything up, and the likes of Dillon, Reed, Doubs, and Musgrave are not enough to over come the loss of Jones, and also a more healthy and ready to play long ago WATSON, his size and speed require two defenders to cover, that would help more open the under neath stuff, as is we can't sustain the run to do it, and defenders have 8 in the box to deal with both the run and the quick hitters.

sorry for the rant, just think folks are on Lafleur a little much, and this is not directed towards anyone as much as it just seems people are looking for anything, anyone to blame, me included.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

True, we have been missing some valuable players and have had terrible injury luck, but what we had should have been enough to beat the teams we played for the most part.

We missed Bakhtiari against the Raiders/Maxx Crosby, but they were beatable. Detroit was the only team we flat-out lacked the players to beat.
Last edited by Labrev on 24 Oct 2023 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
—Magneto