Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Our offense is bad because

Love can't pass the ball.
WRs run wrong routes and have bad situational awareness.
Oline just not talented.
Jones has been injured.

That's it and the other teams have better players.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Sounds worse that the Gory Years. Seems like they usually had a piece or two but never put it all together. Missing the QB, RB, OL, and receivers makes it pretty tough to see a way out. :)

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The issues this team faces isn't just one thing or even mostly just one thing but a perfect amalgamation of many things.

Injuries are derailing every aspect and we are too thin and too young on offense especially to make up for them. This is year 2 for the offensive line carousel of injuries and we have been notorious for our hamstring issues. At some point looking at the training staff and their methods needs to be done.

The defense has talent, but injuries are hurting their cohesion and Joe Barry is not setting his guys up to succeed. There are far too many examples of questionable schematic calls such as DeVondre Campbell split wide on Bijon Robinson, Preston Smith man on Davante Adams, and nickel on the goal line with the offense in jumbo. It's inexcusable.

Gutekunst went for it from 2020-2022 and it failed. We are reaping what we have sown. $60 million in dead cap makes it hard to field a competitive team.

Matt Lafleur has made questionable personnel decisions in the past and is continuing to do so now. The offensive line is a mess even though injured. The biggest flaw right now is straight up coaching. His guys are not ready to play coming into the games and we are not prepared for what opposing teams are giving us. There are constant penalties, constant mistakes, and constant lack of effort. For example, screens aren't a particularly hard concept to run, but they do take practice. We don't look like we practice the timing of them, at all. The play calling itself is inconsistent. Sometimes there are some really good calls for what the D is giving us. Lately, it has been too many conservative calls and back to the old mono e mono philosophy. Ultimately a young team is going to live and die by the coach and right now it is dying.

Jordan Love's biggest issue right now is accuracy. The ball is not going where it needs to go on too many throws. There are some decision issues, but ultimately he is making the right reads. Some have said anticipation is the issue, but mostly this is not correct. There are many examples of him throwing to guys before they are open or before they have made their break and/or look for the ball. He isn't being helped by our first half game plan, but he needs get his mechanics in check and deliver accurate balls.

Youth is a detriment to this offense right now. It is rare that all 11 guys are on the same page and we aren't seeing guys playing with confidence, speed, and aggression. While this is up to the coaches to fix, it is something that comes with experience, which we lack on offense.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gutey did not “go for it” from 2020-2022 anymore than anyone else would have who had an aging HOF QB. Most of the dead money is from booting Rodgers. He never sacrificed anything in the draft during those years or used draft capital to bring in any heavy short term hitters who would sacrifice future draft capital. He didn’t even draft for immediate needs on offense. He grabbed project WRs with high upside and even project raw OLBs that would be starters years down the line.

Youth is an issue. But we should be seeing the team mature and improve, not decline and get worse.

Every team has injuries. Everyone should have known Bakh was done, I’ve said it for years now.

With every aspect being a mess, really gotta look at the head coach.

Growing pains are expected, but hopefully we can see improvement soon.

Going all in doesn’t look like having more than 7 draft picks in every draft.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 14:58
Gutey did not “go for it” from 2020-2022 anymore than anyone else would have who had an aging HOF QB.
I didn't say he did, did I?
Youth is an issue. But we should be seeing the team mature and improve, not decline and get worse.
When a team can't figure out how to deal with it's youth and other detriments are lumped on top of that, we see what we are seeing. Along with the $60 million we ate in this year, we ate $30 million in dead cap in 2022.
Every team has injuries. Everyone should have known Bakh was done, I’ve said it for years now.
And some teams have more than others. We are in that category.
We couldn't trade or cut Bakhtiari even before his restructure, so bringing him up doesn't fit here. Whether he was done or not, he was on the team unless he retired.
Going all in doesn’t look like having more than 7 draft picks in every draft.
That's an opinion and trades come with salary cap burdens that also have to be factored into the equation. Along with the $60 million we ate in this year, we ate $30 million in dead cap in 2022. We kicked the can down the road from 2020-2022 and were up against the cap.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 24 Oct 2023 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I just dont believe Gutey "went for it" in 2020-2022. I believe he had one foot in winning now and one foot looking to the future. This resulted in not winning then or now.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 15:17
I just dont believe Gutey "went for it" in 2020-2022. I believe he had one foot in winning now and one foot looking to the future. This resulted in not winning then or now.
Does this only hinge on the drafting of Jordan Love?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 15:21
Drj820 wrote:
?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 15:23
Pckfn23 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
?
Is your belief mainly centered around the drafting of Jordan Love?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 15:24
Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 15:23
Pckfn23 wrote:

?
Is your belief mainly centered around the drafting of Jordan Love?
Did you just ask that because that was your predetermined reason for why anyone must think we didn’t go all in?

Because I listed tons of reasons in my original post. None included love. They included drafting other projects like Gary, LVN, and Watson tho. Players who were raw and had no expectations of being ready help us win immediately, but plans to help us far in the future.

I Also said they didn’t use draft capital to trade for short term assets that could help us win now, and mentioned how many draft picks we’ve had over the last few years

All these things are “smart business”, but they are keeping the future in mind and not going “all in”

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Can we just settle this and say the Packers went "a lot in"?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Those players don't fit the described reasoning.

Trading also has a cap element that can't be ignored.

Not very persuasive reasoning.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

LOL

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 14:53
Jordan Love's biggest issue right now is accuracy. The ball is not going where it needs to go on too many throws. There are some decision issues, but ultimately he is making the right reads. Some have said anticipation is the issue, but mostly this is not correct
The problem I see with this statement is that if you put all three issues together whether they are huge problems or sometimes problems, it prevents you from succeeding and ULTIMATELY prevents you from having a real chance at winning. Maybe I am interpreting your thoughts incorrectly but it seems like your saying that he just needs to work on his mechanics/ footwork and this will fix most of his issues.

Some of his decision making have flat out cost us ANY chance to win. They are dumpster fire plays. ( I love saying dumpster fire) :rotf:

Much of what you said IMO is right though. I like to watch QB breakdown film too.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

MY_TAKE wrote:
24 Oct 2023 17:11
Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 14:53
Jordan Love's biggest issue right now is accuracy. The ball is not going where it needs to go on too many throws. There are some decision issues, but ultimately he is making the right reads. Some have said anticipation is the issue, but mostly this is not correct
The problem I see with this statement is that if you put all three issues together whether they are huge problems or sometimes problems, it prevents you from succeeding and ULTIMATELY prevents you from having a real chance at winning. Maybe I am interpreting your thoughts incorrectly but it seems like your saying that he just needs to work on his mechanics/ footwork and this will fix most of his issues.

Some of his decision making have flat out cost us ANY chance to win. They are dumpster fire plays. ( I love saying dumpster fire) :rotf:

Much of what you said IMO is right though. I like to watch QB breakdown film too.
I think a lot of his issues could be solved by better accuracy. For example the last INT was not a bad decision pers ay, but an inaccurate ball. Had it been deeper and outside more it had a chance. Instead it was short and too far inside and the safety was able to come over and snag it. That said there are definitely some decision making issues that have come out, especially in the last 4 games. He seems to be forcing it and not playing within the offense. Definitely has his share of boneheaded decisions.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Watson is reported to be ok.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 18:04
Is that an improvement vs not being blitzed? He is awful for accuracy on general.