Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Oct 2023 10:11
BF004 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 08:21
Not good

I remember Chris Berman highlighting Favre on NFL Prime Time almost every week in the 90s for having a 300 yard game.
Brett Favre 300+ Yard Passing Games by Season:

1992 - 0
1993 - 1 (2 including playoffs)
1994 - 4
1995 - 7 (8 including playoffs)
1996 - 2
1997 - 2
1998 - 4
1999 - 6
2000 - 2
2001 - 4
2002 - 3
2003 - 1 (2 including playoffs)
2004 - 5
2005 - 4
2006 - 3
2007 - 7
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The fact that Jalen Hurts is in the same draft class as Love makes the pick all the more worse.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
Not good

What does 300 passing yards have to do with Jordan Love statistics anyway? Let's start with offensive line blocking.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Oct 2023 20:10
The fact that Jalen Hurts is in the same draft class as Love makes the pick all the more worse.
We would have absolutely no idea what to do with a player like Jalen hurts. We are not nearly creative enough for a one of a kind talent like Jalen.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
24 Oct 2023 20:18
BF004 wrote:
Not good

What does 300 passing yards have to do with Jordan Love statistics anyway? Let's start with offensive line blocking.
Who mentioned Jordan Love statistics?

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 21:01
lupedafiasco wrote:
We would have absolutely no idea what to do with a player like Jalen hurts. We are not nearly creative enough for a one of a kind talent like Jalen.
I’m not saying Hurts sucks or anything, but without AJ Brown I don’t think he’s doing anything g special in this league.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

musclestang wrote:
24 Oct 2023 21:14
Drj820 wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
I’m not saying Hurts sucks or anything, but without AJ Brown I don’t think he’s doing anything g special in this league.
I think Jalen has tremendous work ethic, leadership, and his 600 lb squats make him extremely versatile for things like the “tush push”. I means he’s super dynamic…

But theoretically the packers could have gotten Love or Hurts a receiver like AJ brown. I mean they didn’t draft him or sign him in free agency, they traded for him. So if what you say is true, they just went out and got a guy they needed to make their qb great. That’s not something we have shown we will do, but that’s really good on them. They also drafted davanta smith. Personally, I think hurts is a good player who is constantly improving…but I credit their OL for most of his success

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 21:22
musclestang wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I think Jalen has tremendous work ethic, leadership, and his 600 lb squats make him extremely versatile for things like the “tush push”. I means he’s super dynamic…

But theoretically the packers could have gotten Love or Hurts a receiver like AJ brown. I mean they didn’t draft him or sign him in free agency, they traded for him. So if what you say is true, they just went out and got a guy they needed to make their qb great. That’s not something we have shown we will do, but that’s really good on them. They also drafted davanta smith. Personally, I think hurts is a good player who is constantly improving…but I credit their OL for most of his success
The Dolphins traded draft picks for Tyreek Hill and Jalen Ramsey. The Bills traded a 1st round pick for Stefon Diggs. The Chiefs traded picks for Frank Clark, Orlando Brown, and Kadarius Toney. The Bucs traded picks for JPP and Gronk. The 49ers traded picks for Trent Williams and McCaffrey. The Steelers traded a 1st round pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick. The Rams traded picks for the very same Jalen Ramsey as well as for Stafford and Von Miller. The Eagles have traded so many picks for so many players on their recent Super Bowl runs that it is hard to keep track but in addition to the one for AJ Brown you mentioned above there are the trades for Darius Slay, D'Andre Swift and now Kevin Byard. During the Brady years, the Pats led the NFL in trading picks for players.

I do not contend that all of the aforementioned trades have worked out well for the teams that acquired the players. Rather, I note that plenty of currently successful teams and several recently successful teams have traded draft picks in exchange for players including every team to win the Super Bowl over the past decade.

Can anyone recall the last time the Packers sent a round 5 or better pick away in return for a player? The only recent trade I can think of is when faux GM Aaron Rodgers forced Gutey to send a 6th to Houston for his pal Randall Cobb. (And no, I do not want the Packers to trade for any player at the upcoming deadline and would actually much prefer if they were sellers).

So yes, hypothetically the Packers could have traded draft picks for a player like AJ Brown, but in reality that it is something that just has not been done in Green Bay over the past two decades first under Ted Thompson and now under his protege Brian Gutekunst. (For the old timers, Ron Wolf shipped a 1st round pick away in return for Favre and a 2nd rounder for Keith Jackson. He also made a couple of savvy player for player trades to acquire Eugene Robinson and Ahman Green).

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 21:04
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
24 Oct 2023 20:18
BF004 wrote:
Not good

Who mentioned Jordan Love statistics?
Deductive reasoning. Look at the title of the thread.
:aok:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

LombardiTime wrote:
24 Oct 2023 22:01
Drj820 wrote:
musclestang wrote:

The Dolphins traded draft picks for Tyreek Hill and Jalen Ramsey. The Bills traded a 1st round pick for Stefon Diggs. The Chiefs traded picks for Frank Clark, Orlando Brown, and Kadarius Toney. The Bucs traded picks for JPP and Gronk. The 49ers traded picks for Trent Williams and McCaffrey. The Steelers traded a 1st round pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick. The Rams traded picks for the very same Jalen Ramsey as well as for Stafford and Von Miller. The Eagles have traded so many picks for so many players on their recent Super Bowl runs that it is hard to keep track but in addition to the one for AJ Brown you mentioned above there are the trades for Darius Slay, D'Andre Swift and now Kevin Byard. During the Brady years, the Pats led the NFL in trading picks for players.

I do not contend that all of the aforementioned trades have worked out well for the teams that acquired the players. Rather, I note that plenty of currently successful teams and several recently successful teams have traded draft picks in exchange for players including every team to win the Super Bowl over the past decade.

Can anyone recall the last time the Packers sent a round 5 or better pick away in return for a player? The only recent trade I can think of is when faux GM Aaron Rodgers forced Gutey to send a 6th to Houston for his pal Randall Cobb. (And no, I do not want the Packers to trade for any player at the upcoming deadline and would actually much prefer if they were sellers).

So yes, hypothetically the Packers could have traded draft picks for a player like AJ Brown, but in reality that it is something that just has not been done in Green Bay over the past two decades first under Ted Thompson and now under his protege Brian Gutekunst. (For the old timers, Ron Wolf shipped a 1st round pick away in return for Favre and a 2nd rounder for Keith Jackson. He also made a couple of savvy player for player trades to acquire Eugene Robinson and Ahman Green).
One of the best posts in the history of the forum. Well done.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

" Defense wins Championships" :bkw:

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

LombardiTime wrote:
So yes, hypothetically the Packers could have traded draft picks for a player like AJ Brown, but in reality that it is something that just has not been done in Green Bay over the past two decades first under Ted Thompson and now under his protege Brian Gutekunst.
That's something both Thompson and Gutekunst deserve a ton of criticism for though. Especially considering the team was a legit Super Bowl contender for the majority of their tenures.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
25 Oct 2023 05:41
LombardiTime wrote:
So yes, hypothetically the Packers could have traded draft picks for a player like AJ Brown, but in reality that it is something that just has not been done in Green Bay over the past two decades first under Ted Thompson and now under his protege Brian Gutekunst.
That's something both Thompson and Gutekunst deserve a ton of criticism for though. Especially considering the team was a legit Super Bowl contender for the majority of their tenures.
often felt what separated Belechick from most other GM's was his ability to find ol vets to supplant his draft misses, guys he could pick up for basically small money, yet still able to produce at a high level, experienced vets who've seen it all, so the coach up to his defensive schemes would be quick.

always felt it impossible to build and retain defensive talent solely through the draft, and my proof for that is right here with us, you bet we should have traded some of those picks and bought defensive talent, could say the same about the WR position.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

CWIMM wrote:
25 Oct 2023 05:41
LombardiTime wrote:
But… but… but… we went all in.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Drj820 wrote:

He is a good guy, I don't want to imply otherwise, I tend to think he's pretty overrated at this point in his career though. Excellent run game, excellent OLine, Excellent defense and when he needs to get bailed out, he has 1 guy that will bail him out every time. That pass that Jordan got picked at the end, i see Hurts throw that at least once a game and it often ends up a TD LOL. I exaggerate, but only a little.

He is very strong, but having another Oline man and TE and RB behind you pushing at with 5 or 6 in front of you at the point of attack never hurts either. I'd be more impressed if they didn't allow helping the ball carrier like they do. Lots of times it is stopped at the point of attack just briefly where someone free out covering or at LB could come in and make a tackle. Now that one person might hit the QB, but now has to stop the mass of 3-4 people. I think it's a bush league play. Go watch rugby, this is football, and I can't wait for the day aiding the ball carrier like that is illegal again.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
25 Oct 2023 06:30
Drj820 wrote:

He is a good guy, I don't want to imply otherwise, I tend to think he's pretty overrated at this point in his career though. Excellent run game, excellent OLine, Excellent defense and when he needs to get bailed out, he has 1 guy that will bail him out every time. That pass that Jordan got picked at the end, i see Hurts throw that at least once a game and it often ends up a TD LOL. I exaggerate, but only a little.

He is very strong, but having another Oline man and TE and RB behind you pushing at with 5 or 6 in front of you at the point of attack never hurts either. I'd be more impressed if they didn't allow helping the ball carrier like they do. Lots of times it is stopped at the point of attack just briefly where someone free out covering or at LB could come in and make a tackle. Now that one person might hit the QB, but now has to stop the mass of 3-4 people. I think it's a bush league play. Go watch rugby, this is football, and I can't wait for the day aiding the ball carrier like that is illegal again.
I agree, but we are the minority, seems most members here support this innovative, but was once illegal way of advancing the pigskin, and as we know this is a copy cat league so other team will also use this cheap tactic to gain short yardage

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Benkert always a fun follow. Does seem to be very pro Jordan anti LaFleur past few weeks. But his content is worth following.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
25 Oct 2023 09:43
Benkert always a fun follow. Does seem to be very pro Jordan anti LaFleur past few weeks. But his content is worth following.

A worthy thread to follow. He's not wrong with the examples he's shown. Others have been pointing out the same thing. The concepts should work if they are executed correctly. Love hasn't been perfect either. But the rest of the team is definitely not helping him out.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
25 Oct 2023 09:43
Does seem to be very pro Jordan anti LaFleur past few weeks.
So does Reality.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Makes me feel better. From what I've been reading, it seemed like Love's throws were a major part of the fail. :P