Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
25 Oct 2023 09:43
Benkert always a fun follow. Does seem to be very pro Jordan anti LaFleur past few weeks. But his content is worth following.

Thanks for bringing it!

These types of analyses are imperative to get a real look what is happening. It's almost impossible to look at the TV copy and determine what is going on. As the first post illustrates, what looks like a huge miss is a wrong route where Love throws with anticipation, but the receiver runs the wrong route.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I wonder what his take was on the Doubs deflection to Reed in the end zone. It looks to me that Doubs runs the slant too fast and goes right into the defenders instead of slowing down down into the window where Jordan put the ball. Jordan made a nice adjustment to avoid the initial rusher and then he throws it sidearm to avoid the middle defender that Doubs was running towards. If Jordan had led Doubs that middle defender has an easy block or INT. It was still a TD so no big deal except it seems to show me that Jordan understands the offense much better than his receivers.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Kind of my thoughts without being able to analyze it all. Summed up, It's always something. Hard to get a gauge on "THE" problem, as there are many. If it's not the play call, it's the oline excecution. If it's not on them, it's late on a throw. If that all works, there's a drop or a wrong route.

I'm ok with some of it too, I fully expect it. But I also want to see some of it get cleaned up from here on out. Doesn't all need to be this week, but consistently I want to see some guys doing better. Consistently if I haven't said that :)

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

packman114 wrote:
25 Oct 2023 10:38
I wonder what his take was on the Doubs deflection to Reed in the end zone. It looks to me that Doubs runs the slant too fast and goes right into the defenders instead of slowing down down into the window where Jordan put the ball. Jordan made a nice adjustment to avoid the initial rusher and then he throws it sidearm to avoid the middle defender that Doubs was running towards. If Jordan had led Doubs that middle defender has an easy block or INT. It was still a TD so no big deal except it seems to show me that Jordan understands the offense much better than his receivers.
I think the edge guy just got right up in the throwing lane which made him throw to a different spot and angle. Not a bad decision, just fired it and it was deflected. One of those things I guess. But the slant and spot I think would have been fine. Half of those are get to the spot and make a defender come thru you to get the ball. So you get the completion or you get the penalty.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
25 Oct 2023 10:38
sure, of course he does, he's been here 3 years longer, still think Doubs may have hauled it in if Love had a bit more touch on that pass, he throws to many rockets on short passes, it eliminates the ability to adjust for the receivers.

after review I think the pass should have went to Reed all along, buts a topic for another thread.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

The Packers don’t know that about Love—yet. He’s got two months to get better, and I think he can. But there’s a lot to prove, and that’s all the Green Bay offense is now: one big, messy proving ground.

good article, thank you

I've been trying to say some of what this guy has pointed out so much better, It's hard to eval Love when so many other things affect his play, the lack of blocking, the loss of Jones, inexperience at WR, etc.

teams tend to heal up some during there bye, we just add more to the mash tent, it's like the team has a plague, a little better health, being able to play more would go a long way to helping these youngsters.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Yoop wrote:
23 Oct 2023 15:30
I keep defending Love, providing valid excuses, but it's hard to argue with this., and it is so Rodgers, not seeing open receivers because your polarized on another, in double coverage to boot.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/6-games-in ... 17138.html

That’s what Love looked like on Sunday: A bottom-third starter, at best, showcasing a continued lack of deep-throw accuracy and questionable decisions. His mediocre box score stats against Denver? They look better than the reality, if you consider how his two touchdown passes unfolded. The first, he floated a pop fly to a briefly open Romeo Doubs in the end zone that allowed Broncos cornerback Pat Surtain II to recover and effectively intercept the ball in a jointly possessed catch. By rule, the catch was awarded to Doubs, due to the dual possession always going to the offensive player. Love’s second touchdown was even more improbably lucky, as he side-armed an ill-advised short-area fastball that was a beat behind Doubs. The ball skipped off the wideout’s hands on the fourth-and-2 throw, but was snared in unbelievable fashion by rookie receiver Jayden Reed, who was crossing directly behind the play.

Eventually, that luck ran out and Love put on a display of why the Packers have to continue to be worried about where this is going. With just under two minutes left and Green Bay facing a third-and-20, Love took a snap and locked onto Samori Toure on a deep vertical route, throwing into double coverage for an easy interception. What he missed on the same play was a streaking Reed who had gotten behind safety help and a leaking running back in the left flat who had a shot to run to run for a first down. Instead, Love took the worst option and the game was over.
The 4th and 2 throw wasn't ill-advised. Fourth down, he has to throw it - there is no other option. The scheme called for a quick throw and there was no pocket for him to hide and reset in, and as it happened the throw (delayed because a lineman was in the throwing lane) was onto Doubs' hands and was difficult but catchable. Obviously we got lucky with the ricochet.

The late interception, the receiver shouldn't have been double covered. The safety was covering another receiver heading downfield until that receiver stopped, leaving the safety free.

The first TD was the worst throw of the three mentioned here, underthrown - Doubs did well to recover.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Go get ‘em, [mention]lupedafiasco[/mention] …

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I’m with Kurt. He needs to protect the ball and not throw picks. He needs to be more accurate.

But a large majority of the offensive problems just look like a young qb in a broken system. It pains me to say this, but no different than what the bears have done to fields
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

APB wrote:
25 Oct 2023 19:09
Go get ‘em, @lupedafiasco …

Agreed. One thing I seem to see more often - I don't think it's just because I watch wit green and gold eyes - is the opposition QB throwing to a man who is totally uncovered. Love doesn't seem to do that, but I don't think it's because he's missing targets, I think it's because the man isn't there.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Kind of a different perspective, but other than Patrick Mahomes, what other QB's in this league right now do you think would have a successful season? And I'm not talking about Jordan Love, but I mean carry this team into the playoffs? Aaron Rodgers couldn't do it last year. Could Hurts, Burrow, or Allen do it? I don't know...

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
26 Oct 2023 10:47
Kind of a different perspective, but other than Patrick Mahomes, what other QB's in this league right now do you think would have a successful season? And I'm not talking about Jordan Love, but I mean carry this team into the playoffs? Aaron Rodgers couldn't do it last year. Could Hurts, Burrow, or Allen do it? I don't know...
I dont believe any QB could carry this team to the playoffs. The roster is just simply too bad.

I do believe any of the top 10 QBs could have a winning record right now considering the atrocious teams we have faced so far. Without a doubt any QB that wasnt bottom 5 in the league like Love would have beaten the Falcons, Raiders, and Broncos.

Good QBs elevate bad teams. Rodgers couldnt do it last year because last years team was even worse than this one and he was hurt. Love is dragging this team down even further. He cant make plays. He cant sustain drives. He cant help himself from throwing YOLO balls and turning the ball over. All my initial scouting thoughts on him are the exact same 4 years later. Nothing has changed.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Oct 2023 11:00
Acrobat wrote:
I dont believe any QB could carry this team to the playoffs. The roster is just simply too bad.

I do believe any of the top 10 QBs could have a winning record right now considering the atrocious teams we have faced so far. Without a doubt any QB that wasnt bottom 5 in the league like Love would have beaten the Falcons, Raiders, and Broncos.

Good QBs elevate bad teams. Rodgers couldnt do it last year because last years team was even worse than this one and he was hurt. Love is dragging this team down even further. He cant make plays. He cant sustain drives. He cant help himself from throwing YOLO balls and turning the ball over. All my initial scouting thoughts on him are the exact same 4 years later. Nothing has changed.
I don't know about last year's team being even worse. I think they're about the same but this year, our injuries are more impactful. Agree to disagree I guess, but I can't see even a Kirk Cousins or Jared Goff type QB having a winning record with this team right now.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
26 Oct 2023 11:21
lupedafiasco wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

I don't know about last year's team being even worse. I think they're about the same but this year, our injuries are more impactful. Agree to disagree I guess, but I can't see even a Kirk Cousins or Jared Goff type QB having a winning record with this team right now.
Last years team had a lot less talent and even the veterans were all regressing because everything was so bad around them. This team is very equivalent to the 2018 Packers team that underperformed because the 2015 and 2017 draft classes were just so atrocious. There was very little up and coming talent. Now we have the embarrassingly terrible draft classes in 2020 and 2021 on top of a really weak 2018 class that carried over only a single player from their rookie deals.

It shouldnt come as a surprise this team is bad when you arent maximizing cheap rookie contracts and developing your own talent. But Ive been told Gutnebumst is a good GM so... :munch:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Oct 2023 11:40
Acrobat wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Last years team had a lot less talent and even the veterans were all regressing because everything was so bad around them. This team is very equivalent to the 2018 Packers team that underperformed because the 2015 and 2017 draft classes were just so atrocious. There was very little up and coming talent. Now we have the embarrassingly terrible draft classes in 2020 and 2021 on top of a really weak 2018 class that carried over only a single player from their rookie deals.

It shouldnt come as a surprise this team is bad when you arent maximizing cheap rookie contracts and developing your own talent. But Ive been told Gutnebumst is a good GM so... :munch:
100%. Those drafts were horrible and we're paying the price right now.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
26 Oct 2023 12:59
lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Oct 2023 11:40
Acrobat wrote:

100%. Those drafts were horrible and we're paying the price right now.
The hardest part for me is looking back on 2021.

They made right position but wrong player over and over. Taking Stokes was dumb and I said it at the time, he wasn’t even the best CB on his team available and Tyson Campbell goes 4 picks later and has been a stud. Then you have the Myers over Creed pick and I liked Myers but I again said idk how you decide Myers is better there. It made no sense.

And finally you move up to get Amari Rodgers when Amon Ra was on the board. I mean this is just a fireable draft.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

lupedafiasco wrote:

That's a very rapid change of mind in paragraph 2. In the first sentence you say that you believe a top-10 QB would have us 4-2 or better, and in the second sentence you say that you are certain that a top-27 QB would have at least three more wins.

I think your second assertion is nonsense, frankly. Only the Eagles and Chiefs have just one loss. You think with this talent in the squad, virtually any QB in the league - even down to Zach Wilson, if we go by completion percentage - would have us up there with the Eagles and Chiefs?

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

A top 10 QB would have resulted in beating the Broncos, Atl, and probably Las Vegas. The Packers have such an easy schedule.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Jordan love was not good. Even his two td passes were a could be int and a pinball.

He made some other poor decisions.

But the big thing was every thing was short. The game plan by mlf was designed that way but it was designed that way because of loves accuracy issues.