Play the 2023 Packers Blame Game!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is (most) to blame?

Poll ended at 04 Nov 2023 09:01

Brian Gutekunst
37%
Matt LaFleur
48%
Joe Barry
No votes
Jordan Love
4%
Unavoidable major roster upheaval, the above are all fine -or- cannot be fairly evaluated right now
11%

Total votes: 27

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

In my opinion right now the order of blame goes as follows:
Mark Murphy- He hired not only the GM but also the coach and he swore to be more involved in football decisions so its hard to believe he didnt sign off on Love as well or he was back to $%@# off about the football side of things. Regardless whoever you think is at fault he was behind the move to get them here. On top of that he kept TT entirely too long with declining cognitive abilities. Terrific businessman but terrible when it comes to the product hes put on the field.

Gutenbumst- Just an atrocious GM. It never once crossed my mind that we could have a worse GM than TT at the end of his reign but here we are. I completely underestimated just how bad a GM can be. Lets start with the fact that two of the best players in franchise history in Rodgers and Adams refused to ever play for him. He tried to contractually play hard ball with Adams and it backfired and he tried to replace Rodgers instead of surround him with talent and that has massivley backfired. I said in another thread he had every opportunity to nail picks at the positions he wanted but has consistently gotten them wrong. Every now and again that will happen but its over and over. Love instead of Hurts. Myers instead of Creed. Stokes instead of Campbell. Amari Rodgers instead Amon Ra. Jace Sternberger instead of McClaurin. The terrible free agent and cap decisions have plagued this team. Signing Rodgers and trading him just a year later wasting $60M in cap space alone should be a fireable offense.

Lafleur- I said this after the conference game against the Buccs but I just think he makes bad decisions on the field and with his personnel. The military gives leadership courses all the time that I have attended and they try and teach you to at least fake it as a leader. Lafleur doesnt have it. I dont listen to him and think I am inspired. You can listen to other leaders of men speak and it doesnt matter if you are there in person or watching them through a monitor. Good leaders inspire and what you see right now is uninspiring. On top of that his coaching hires have been atrocious. Bad coordinator hirings on ST and DC and his position coaches are clearly bad as well.

Love- I think Love is a bad QB. Pretty much from day one I knew he wasnt going to be a good QB. I dont care how bad a team is around you, you wont survive in the league throwing 20 TDs and 17 INTs in college. That should never happen and my initial grade of a late 2nd early 3rd seems more true each game. That being said hes not the idiot who drafted himself. Hes just a bad player put in a bad situation.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:01
That was as a rookie, coming out of a small school.
playing with a first ballot HOF QB with 15 years in the saddle, even though Rodgers dealt with all these same issues Love has, he was able to build some chemistry so much faster then Love could ever hope to because of that experience. now you can discount that all you want to, me, I know better.

thanks for another stab at insulting others :thwap:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

People are finally starting to understand that Rodgers was a good quarterback.

Gute got rid of him as soon as he and Lafleur signed long term extensions. They both knew they were desperate to keep him until then.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:14
In my opinion right now the order of blame goes as follows:
Mark Murphy- He hired not only the GM but also the coach and he swore to be more involved in football decisions so its hard to believe he didnt sign off on Love as well or he was back to $%@# off about the football side of things. Regardless whoever you think is at fault he was behind the move to get them here. On top of that he kept TT entirely too long with declining cognitive abilities. Terrific businessman but terrible when it comes to the product hes put on the field.

Gutenbumst- Just an atrocious GM. It never once crossed my mind that we could have a worse GM than TT at the end of his reign but here we are. I completely underestimated just how bad a GM can be. Lets start with the fact that two of the best players in franchise history in Rodgers and Adams refused to ever play for him. He tried to contractually play hard ball with Adams and it backfired and he tried to replace Rodgers instead of surround him with talent and that has massivley backfired. I said in another thread he had every opportunity to nail picks at the positions he wanted but has consistently gotten them wrong. Every now and again that will happen but its over and over. Love instead of Hurts. Myers instead of Creed. Stokes instead of Campbell. Amari Rodgers instead Amon Ra. Jace Sternberger instead of McClaurin. The terrible free agent and cap decisions have plagued this team. Signing Rodgers and trading him just a year later wasting $60M in cap space alone should be a fireable offense.

Lafleur- I said this after the conference game against the Buccs but I just think he makes bad decisions on the field and with his personnel. The military gives leadership courses all the time that I have attended and they try and teach you to at least fake it as a leader. Lafleur doesnt have it. I dont listen to him and think I am inspired. You can listen to other leaders of men speak and it doesnt matter if you are there in person or watching them through a monitor. Good leaders inspire and what you see right now is uninspiring. On top of that his coaching hires have been atrocious. Bad coordinator hirings on ST and DC and his position coaches are clearly bad as well.

Love- I think Love is a bad QB. Pretty much from day one I knew he wasnt going to be a good QB. I dont care how bad a team is around you, you wont survive in the league throwing 20 TDs and 17 INTs in college. That should never happen and my initial grade of a late 2nd early 3rd seems more true each game. That being said hes not the idiot who drafted himself. Hes just a bad player put in a bad situation.
I agreed with you when Love was drafted, still felt with Rodgers on board, and coaching up Love behind him for 3 years would produce a good enough QB, and minus all the problems he's faced this year he probably would have been that anyway, now I think while that could still happen with better team health and chemistry, it doesn't appear that will happen and Love most likely will continue to decline..as to a lot of the rest of your comments I tend to agree, just hate to think about a complete rebuild top down.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:20
Who on this forum has EVER said he was not a good QB for the Green Bay Packers?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:23
Drj820 wrote:
you

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
you
Never happened. Have I pointed out games where he played mediocre to poorly? Yes. Have I pointed out seasons where he was mediocre? Yes. Have I EVER said he was not a good QB for us? No. Aaron Rodgers is a Hall of Fame QB. So again, I ask, who on this forum has ever said Aaron Rodgers was not a good QB for us?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:15
Labrev wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:01
That was as a rookie, coming out of a small school.
playing with a first ballot HOF QB with 15 years in the saddle, even though Rodgers dealt with all these same issues Love has, he was able to build some chemistry so much faster then Love could ever hope to because of that experience. now you can discount that all you want to, me, I know better.
If true, you prove my point even more, by saying it was not the coach but the QB that made use of him last year. Lol, THANKS!! :aok: :mrgreen:

thanks for another stab at insulting others :thwap:
There were two ways to respond to that post: (1) change your approach to arguing this point in the way I explained would impress me; -OR- (2) make no such effort and get angry, i.e. doing exactly what I claim your camp does.

My post was not an insult, at all, you just took offense because that's what you do.
Last edited by Labrev on 30 Oct 2023 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:22
I agreed with you when Love was drafted, still felt with Rodgers on board, and coaching up Love behind him for 3 years would produce a good enough QB, and minus all the problems he's faced this year he probably would have been that anyway, now I think while that could still happen with better team health and chemistry, it doesn't appear that will happen and Love most likely will continue to decline..as to a lot of the rest of your comments I tend to agree, just hate to think about a complete rebuild top down.
The thing is they have to rebuild top down. Murphy is out after 2024 anyways. A new president is going to want his own guy. Thats just the nature of the job. If he/she is going to be held responsible for the team theyre going to want who they believe is the best candidate for the position. Not who the last guy picked who is currently failing.

The other thing I'm really concerned with is Gutenbumst and Lafleur are going to be playing for their jobs going forward because theres no way this front office stays here if they miss the playoffs again. Theyre going to have to start making short term decisions to win next year because they have no choice. Especially Gutenbumst. Lafleur if fired I think gets another shot tomorrow with a team as a HC. Someone will give him another chance.

I cant for the life of me imagine anyone giving Gutenbumst another chance as a GM. Hes failed to retain his best players, hes picked the wrong QB. Hes wasted team funds in that Rodgers trade. Hes made the wrong picks in the draft consistently. I could go on and on about how bad hes been as a GM, which I have for the past 3 years and its fallen on mostly deaf ears by this forum...

No owner wants to hire someone who not only cant retain the team stars that make the team money and just throws away a ton of guaranteed money.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pro Tip: When you have a HOF QB on the roster, draft players that can help him win a super bowl. Not his replacement.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:49
go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:29
I voted MLF.

The penalties, lack of discipline, poor fundamentals, poor play execution (wrong routes) are just killing this team.

I am very surprised he cannot coach a young unit. I thought it would be a strength.
does the name Jason Vrable come to mind, he's our receivers coach and passing game cord. we have so many receivers screw ups that ends up being directed at Lafleur or Love, I just thought I'd bring his name up, last year was the same thing.

we had to beg this FO to pony up for Bisaccia, and we are quick to blame Lafleur, even Barry, just maybe the problem is we wont spend the money on quality assistants
I am very concerned about our assistant coaching staff.

I also concerned that when we actually spent money on a quality STs coach, we still suck at STs.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

go pak go wrote:
I voted MLF.

The penalties, lack of discipline, poor fundamentals, poor play execution (wrong routes) are just killing this team.

I am very surprised he cannot coach a young unit. I thought it would be a strength.
This is how I voted as well. Too many of the same mistakes keep happening, which points directly at the coaching.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
I voted MLF.

does the name Jason Vrable come to mind, he's our receivers coach and passing game cord. we have so many receivers screw ups that ends up being directed at Lafleur or Love, I just thought I'd bring his name up, last year was the same thing.

we had to beg this FO to pony up for Bisaccia, and we are quick to blame Lafleur, even Barry, just maybe the problem is we wont spend the money on quality assistants
This is why I put MLF. He picks his staff I believe? Stuck with Drayton too long. promoted from within and guys seem to be doing a poor job at it like Vrable. Best WR coach we had was a former RB who was a true mudder :) and Stepvanovich or however you spell it, should still just be the OL coach.

The players are the ones doing it, so they aren't free of blame. But week after week now it's chaotic, poor discipline, penalties from mental miscues etc.

I'm not a fan of change just to change, but something clearly isn't working. Something needs to change if they can't figure it out and in a hurry.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:37
Pro Tip: When you have a HOF QB on the roster, draft players that can help him win a super bowl. Not his replacement.
So we shouldn't have ever drafted Aaron Rodgers?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:51
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
I voted MLF.

This is why I put MLF. He picks his staff I believe? Stuck with Drayton too long. promoted from within and guys seem to be doing a poor job at it like Vrable. Best WR coach we had was a former RB who was a true mudder :) and Stepvanovich or however you spell it, should still just be the OL coach.

The players are the ones doing it, so they aren't free of blame. But week after week now it's chaotic, poor discipline, penalties from mental miscues etc.

I'm not a fan of change just to change, but something clearly isn't working. Something needs to change if they can't figure it out and in a hurry.
well I wouldn't be to sure of just how much control Lafleur has over assistant hires, from rumors I've heard he had to lobby hard to bring in Bisaccia, and the sticking point was the money, the inhouse promotion of Stenavich probably saved the team a million annually or more over a competent OC, the blame goes to Lafleur over his incompetence, and of course it snow balls to Butkus the OL coach who's unit has been a suck fest for 2 seasons, a good QB can mask a lot of these issues, and did to a degree with Rodgers.

the real fail in my opinion is that Gute didn't need to draft a replacement when he did, but having done so needed to set him up better to succeed, whats he do, in the time frame to do so for them to be ready to actually help Love, he spends the high picks on defense, basically insuring that Love would have inexperience WR's and this make shift OL.

I guess maybe I'am making a case that both should be shown the door.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
Ah, so drafting Love was the only real reason for this statement:
I just dont believe Gutey "went for it" in 2020-2022. I believe he had one foot in winning now and one foot looking to the future.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Going by the simplified premise of the thread, MLF is the obvious choice. If we had a coach better suited to this team (extremely young & searching for an identity), we COULD look a lot better.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Gunzaan wrote:
30 Oct 2023 11:44
Going by the simplified premise of the thread, MLF is the obvious choice. If we had a coach better suited to this team (extremely young & searching for an identity), we COULD look a lot better.
But then wouldn't that be on Gutey for keeping MLF, knowing he was going to have this kind of team? Its why exercises like this are fruitless.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 11:16
Drj820 wrote:
Ah, so drafting Love was the only real reason for this statement:
I just dont believe Gutey "went for it" in 2020-2022. I believe he had one foot in winning now and one foot looking to the future.
is there a setting on here where i dont have to look at your profile picture when you post?

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:

Gute got rid of him as soon as he and Lafleur signed long term extensions. They both knew they were desperate to keep him until then.
Both of them should have statues of AR in their house. The big houses he built for them.