Reality

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 07:00
Yoop wrote:
30 Oct 2023 06:43
lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 06:24

You noticed that too?
everyone see's the problems, some believe, (like me) that one problem exposes other issues, and that can and often does create a snow ball affect and the other issues that could be corrected often don't because the initial problem holds everything back, again better blocking would go a long way to improving everything else.
The blocking is not the best but it’s no excuse for awful footwork from Love or his inability to navigate the pocket all the time.
come on now, your smart enough to know that one affects the other, Love has happy feet on one play, then becomes robotic on the next and gets sacked, the next he rushes the pass prior to the receiver ever arriving at the pitch point, the next he runs when the rush isn't even close.

none of that resembles the Jarod Love that played against Chicago 8 weeks ago, I've/we've watched this same stuff hamper plenty of QB's in Loves predicament prior, in fact it's a conglomeration of this stuff that leads to must busted QB's

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

REALITY: Many players seemed happy when Rodgers left because Rodgers sucks all the air out of the room. They seemed like they wanted the leadership role and the attention in the locker room. So far, they have shown they cant handle life without 12.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

REALITY: Analyst Bakh was right. The team is rebuilding. He tried to tell us the truth about what was going on around him. I still believe players shouldnt be telling the public the truth, but Bakh was right.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:58
REALITY: Analyst Bakh was right. The team is rebuilding. He tried to tell us the truth about what was going on around him. I still believe players shouldnt be telling the public the truth, but Bakh was right.
Mostly the same roster, but he saw Love in practice for 3 years and knew the team was in trouble. IIRC he prefaced his comments by saying that anytime you move on from a HOF QB you're rebuilding. I don't think he expected the total train wreck that has ensued and the bad coaching.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Oct 2023 12:05
Drj820 wrote:
Mostly the same roster, but he saw Love in practice for 3 years and knew the team was in trouble. IIRC he prefaced his comments by saying that anytime you move on from a HOF QB you're rebuilding. I don't think he expected the total train wreck that has ensued and the bad coaching.
That depends to an extent on what there is left behind for the new QB to work with. Rodgers, when he started, had Jennings and Driver to throw to and Grant to run the ball for over 1,200 yards. (Though of course they went 6-10, but most of that was due to defensive failings.)

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

musclestang wrote:
27 Oct 2023 06:04
I'm not going to disagree on how things look at time, but i will disagree on talent. There is plenty in that locker room.
There are plenty of young players on the roster who have been drafted early. The jury is still out if they're truly talented though.
texas wrote:
27 Oct 2023 14:26
The reality is that our front office went all in (or at least 90% in) to try to win one with Rodgers, and shifted all of the cap penalties and tough roster decisions and whatnot to this year.
Unfortunately the front office didn't go all in while Rodgers was still around. Otherwise Love wouldn't be our starting QB at this point.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
31 Oct 2023 05:32
musclestang wrote:
I'm not going to disagree on how things look at time, but i will disagree on talent. There is plenty in that locker room.
There are plenty of young players on the roster who have been drafted early. The jury is still out if they're truly talented though.
texas wrote:
The reality is that our front office went all in (or at least 90% in) to try to win one with Rodgers, and shifted all of the cap penalties and tough roster decisions and whatnot to this year.
Unfortunately the front office didn't go all in while Rodgers was still around. Otherwise Love wouldn't be our starting QB at this point.
they went all in for defense, and hired Joe Barry, they went all in for Joe Barry :thwap:

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

LOL, I certainly would not know how it could be resurrected but I would love to see the Julie's World threads from mid season 2008! The same "we are damned," "lack of talent," TT's Cabanna Boy," "Drafting a QB instead of going for another Title for #4!" The hard truth is that winning comes from experience, and experience is earned through trials, and and normally taking lumps along the way! IMO, the contracts of #69, & #12, meant we were in for a long season, regardless of the young players. What is really disappointing is the poor O-Line play, which preseason I saw as a positive!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Davante Adams didn’t spring out of midfield a fully formed god, day one. After year two, we were still debating whether we should dump him even with the benefits of being in a veteran WR room with tons of targets by AR. He dropped balls, missed routes, and constantly complained about PI.

We are seeing young WRs and the problems they have. Love doesn’t have any veterans to go to, so we are going to see this for a while. They spend their time screaming for a flag instead of fighting to the death for the ball. They are dropping catchable balls and running the wrong routes. While it is sometimes difficult to pick out the fault between Love and the WRs you can’t totally condemn Love at this point. Unless he is injured, he will certainly have the rest of the year to get a grip on the situation. Next year we may have a battle between Love and Clifford but we are going down with the Love as the captain of this ship.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Yeah there were opinions like that but Rodgers went for like 4038 yards 32 tds 13 ints and 63.6% completion in a 16 game season.

It's different.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I've been thinking about the bigger picture on offense and what could be the cause of all the miscommunication and continued mistakes. I don't for a second believe there's a single-source reason for all the chaos but I think a major contributing factor goes back to a lack of veteran accountability on the roster.

We all chided Rodgers for demanding players gain his trust on the practice field before he'd trust them on Sunday. Marcedes Lewis was known as a leader in the locker room and somebody who, when he spoke, the youngins STFU and listened. Randall Cobb didn't stand out on the stat sheet but he was a go-to peer when players had questions about what defenses were showing and how to respond.

Coaches coach, sure. But right now, there is none of that player level leadership in action. There is no person on offense respected enough in the locker room who can command respect when they speak. The offense is rudderless.

Plays like the one highlighted in the other thread where not a single receiver ran a route should never happen. Mistakes like that are happening on the field on nearly every play. That's a direct result of going through the motions on the practice field. Coaches can't be everywhere and won't catch everything - and don't get me wrong, I'm not absolving them of anything, just stating a fact - so it's up to players to stop and point out mistakes at practice and demand primacy level learning so it can translate to Sundays. It's apparent none of that is happening.

This FO/coaching staff gambled and assumed the youngsters would figure it out. They're not, at least not yet, and it's become painful to watch. Hearing the Packers are potential BUYERS at the trade deadline, looking for veteran RB/WR help, leads me to believe they're now scrambling to correct their mistake. I honestly doubt it can be fixed by bringing in some journeyman vet which leads me to fear the FO will do something stupid.

Anyway, just channeling some recent thoughts.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
And a huge reason for the disarray is the OL play slump, of which he is a part. Having him on the OL alone could have changed the outcome of 2-3 of our Ls.

So we say again, you are not an analyst, you are a player on the field. Do not speak about such things like you do not have a hand in the outcome. Of course, it turns out he didn't, but he said that while thinking he would be playing.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

bud fox wrote:
31 Oct 2023 07:31
Yeah there were opinions like that but Rodgers went for like 4038 yards 32 tds 13 ints and 63.6% completion in a 16 game season.

It's different.
It is different. There is no doubt that Rodgers had more success throwing to Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Lee, Jones, than Love is throwing to Reed, Doubs, Musgrave, Watson, Wicks. I'm sure we can both agree that part of the cause is that Love isn't as good as Rodgers, and part is that Love's receivers aren't as good as Rodgers'.

"Not as good as Rodgers" isn't a valid reason to discard an NFL quarterback.

(Rodgers got 28 TD passes, incidentally, not 32, according to Pro Football Reference. He rushed for 4, which is where the 32 probably comes from. Love is currently on schedule for 25 passing and 5 rushing TDs over a 16-game equivalent, and 18 ints.)

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

dsr wrote:
31 Oct 2023 18:53
bud fox wrote:
31 Oct 2023 07:31

It's different.
It is different. There is no doubt that Rodgers had more success throwing to Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Lee, Jones, than Love is throwing to Reed, Doubs, Musgrave, Watson, Wicks. I'm sure we can both agree that part of the cause is that Love isn't as good as Rodgers, and part is that Love's receivers aren't as good as Rodgers'.

"Not as good as Rodgers" isn't a valid reason to discard an NFL quarterback.

(Rodgers got 28 TD passes, incidentally, not 32, according to Pro Football Reference. He rushed for 4, which is where the 32 probably comes from. Love is currently on schedule for 25 passing and 5 rushing TDs over a 16-game equivalent, and 18 ints.)
I was responding to a post which directly compared this season to Rodgers.

Daniel Jones, Zach Wilson and Ryan Tannehill are behind Love right now in QB Rating.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
31 Oct 2023 08:08
I've been thinking about the bigger picture on offense and what could be the cause of all the miscommunication and continued mistakes. I don't for a second believe there's a single-source reason for all the chaos but I think a major contributing factor goes back to a lack of veteran accountability on the roster.

We all chided Rodgers for demanding players gain his trust on the practice field before he'd trust them on Sunday. Marcedes Lewis was known as a leader in the locker room and somebody who, when he spoke, the youngins STFU and listened. Randall Cobb didn't stand out on the stat sheet but he was a go-to peer when players had questions about what defenses were showing and how to respond.

Coaches coach, sure. But right now, there is none of that player level leadership in action. There is no person on offense respected enough in the locker room who can command respect when they speak. The offense is rudderless.

Plays like the one highlighted in the other thread where not a single receiver ran a route should never happen. Mistakes like that are happening on the field on nearly every play. That's a direct result of going through the motions on the practice field. Coaches can't be everywhere and won't catch everything - and don't get me wrong, I'm not absolving them of anything, just stating a fact - so it's up to players to stop and point out mistakes at practice and demand primacy level learning so it can translate to Sundays. It's apparent none of that is happening.

This FO/coaching staff gambled and assumed the youngsters would figure it out. They're not, at least not yet, and it's become painful to watch. Hearing the Packers are potential BUYERS at the trade deadline, looking for veteran RB/WR help, leads me to believe they're now scrambling to correct their mistake. I honestly doubt it can be fixed by bringing in some journeyman vet which leads me to fear the FO will do something stupid.

Anyway, just channeling some recent thoughts.
wow how did I miss this post earlier, it's as though you where in Gutekunst office when he decided to part ways with our best DB, imo that qualifies as not the smartest thing he's ever done.

agree, the offense became to young to fast, mistakes on practically every play, and we let go of vets that didn't break the bank, for what we've gotten from Dequara, we could have had Lewis, maybe we'd get a few yards on a stretch run, maybe more success setting up screens, just because some rookie receivers do well doesn't mean they all will.

good post. :mrgreen:

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

CWIMM wrote:
musclestang wrote:
texas wrote:
Correct, they did not go all in. And now this whole damned franchise has a horrible case of blue balls because of it. Even saying 90% in is generous. 1 more receiver would have put us in the big game. We could've had Tee Higgins. Or, if you were going to trade up, trade up 2 more spots and take Justin Jefferson FFS. Instead he goes to our rival. Makes me sick to my stomach. BG should have been fired IMMEDIATELY after the conclusion of night 1 of that draft.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Papa John wrote:
31 Oct 2023 22:41
CWIMM wrote:
musclestang wrote:
texas wrote:
Correct, they did not go all in. And now this whole damned franchise has a horrible case of blue balls because of it. Even saying 90% in is generous. 1 more receiver would have put us in the big game. We could've had Tee Higgins. Or, if you were going to trade up, trade up 2 more spots and take Justin Jefferson FFS. Instead he goes to our rival. Makes me sick to my stomach. BG should have been fired IMMEDIATELY after the conclusion of night 1 of that draft.
Come on Papa if you are going to bitch at least do so factually! How many spots more would have it taken to take Justin Jefferson? It was not 2.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

musclestang wrote:
I'm not going to disagree on how things look at time, but i will disagree on talent. There is plenty in that locker room. Coaches need to get them ready and the training staff needs to get the rest healthy. It's a tired excuse, but it is the reality we're in. maybe we don't have the coaches, I'm not impressed with the internal promotions on the offensive side of the ball and our DC should have been gone with our ST 2 years ago. But it is what it is for now.
:aok:

I agree. There is talent. Even Love is good enough to win with - including a SB. But the prospects of the Packers making the playoffs are less than that of Ukraine regaining territory. Every week the prospects get worse. Give it up! Accept reality.

The thing to do now is to plan for the future rationally and not get emotional about losses in the remainder of the season. Find out who can play and who wants to play badly enough to devote 100% of the offseason to the fitness club and the film room instead of going out with their buddies to the titty bar club. Start the young guys, sit many of the guys who started the first 7 games and earned the present win-loss record. I guarantee that there is another Rasul on this season's Packers PS who just needs a chance and who will never get that chance if the starters who got us to a 2-5 record continue to start. I guarantee that there is another Rasul on every other team's PS also.

We fans can watch the players instead of the ball. See who wins their battle even when the ball goes somewhere else. It hurts less that way. :P

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Papa John wrote:
27 Oct 2023 10:09
musclestang wrote:
I'm not going to disagree on how things look at time, but i will disagree on talent. There is plenty in that locker room. Coaches need to get them ready and the training staff needs to get the rest healthy. It's a tired excuse, but it is the reality we're in. maybe we don't have the coaches, I'm not impressed with the internal promotions on the offensive side of the ball and our DC should have been gone with our ST 2 years ago. But it is what it is for now.
Sure there is some talent. But what good is talent in the absence of grit? Ballerinas are talented. At the end of the day there is no amount of talent that will drive a cornerback to stick his nose into the skirmish and square up the pile driving tight end. Talent won't make a QB decide to hang in the pocket and step into the throw before taking a blitzing safety's helmet to the chest. Those things take balls. Look at any great player in the history of this league and all of that talent wouldn't mean &%$@ if he didn't have his balls.

As Aaron Rodgers once said, the spectrum of talent at this level is relatively small. The great teams are the ones with the gritty lunch pail type guys who will crawl through a mile of broken glass to get that W. I see none of that with this team. Since 2010, there have been glimpses, but nothing sustainable. Who will step up and inspire?
You ever see a Ballerina's feet? And the damage that multiple fractures and over-stress do to their feet? IMO there are plenty of NFL players that have a lot less grit and drive.

If you want a comparison, try a soldier that is 30 pounds overweight and can't survive in the heat without AC and with 50 pounds of gear on his back. fyi, there is something major wrong with the Packers training staff. No way is the injury list normal. The Packers are a bunch of soldiers trained for Greenland in December and then shipped to Egypt in July - and then we wonder why they get hurt.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Nov 2023 02:52
Start the young guys...
Uhhh....they are, all over the roster.
TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Nov 2023 02:52
sit many of the guys who started the first 7 games and earned the present win-loss record. I guarantee that there is another Rasul on this season's Packers PS who just needs a chance and who will never get that chance if the starters who got us to a 2-5 record continue to start.
The young guys who got the Packers to this 2-5 record are the very players they're trying to develop with on-field experience. There may be another Rasul on the PS but the likelihood he's already playing and developing on the field is greater.

I can see a case for Preston getting less snaps but, in reality, those edge guys are rotating so frequently the young guys are getting their snaps in anyway. Cox is the only one you cannot say that for but he's so damn raw it'd likely just make the Sunday product even less watchable.