Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 15:06
I would be looking to trade Preston Smith, Devondre Campbell, Rasul Douglas, Aaron Jones, Jon Runyan, AJ Dillon, Jordan Love, or Keisan Nixon.

None of these guys should be in this teams long term plans. Realistically I think you could get a 6th for Smith just because teams are always looking for pass rushers. Campbell could maybe get a 7th. Those are two rough contracts to pick up. Jones could probably get a 6th considering hes an older back. Runyan could probably get you the most of this group based on age and position. You could maybe swindle a team to swap a 5th for a 6th. Nixon could maybe net us a 7th for a team in need of a returner.

Love could get us a bag of beans.
So let me see if I got this.

You're suggesting the Packers deal away what little talent is on this roster for a bunch of R6-7 picks. That way, next year you can again bemoan the lack of talent on the roster and castigate Gutebumst for relying on R6-7 picks to fill out a roster. That sound about right?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
30 Oct 2023 18:52
lupedafiasco wrote:
I would be looking to trade Preston Smith, Devondre Campbell, Rasul Douglas, Aaron Jones, Jon Runyan, AJ Dillon, Jordan Love, or Keisan Nixon.

None of these guys should be in this teams long term plans. Realistically I think you could get a 6th for Smith just because teams are always looking for pass rushers. Campbell could maybe get a 7th. Those are two rough contracts to pick up. Jones could probably get a 6th considering hes an older back. Runyan could probably get you the most of this group based on age and position. You could maybe swindle a team to swap a 5th for a 6th. Nixon could maybe net us a 7th for a team in need of a returner.

So let me see if I got this.

You're suggesting the Packers deal away what little talent is on this roster for a bunch of R6-7 picks. That way, next year you can again bemoan the lack of talent on the roster and castigate Gutebumst for relying on R6-7 picks to fill out a roster. That sound about right?
Or. An incredibly key word. Look, this team is years away from anything. Those players aren’t going to be part of a long term plan. Start moving them and clearing space to build young players and buy young FA talent.
Last edited by lupedafiasco on 30 Oct 2023 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Ideally someone would package several 6 or 7 round picks and turn it into 2-3 picks in the 3rd or 4th round range. But that’s kind of competent GM territory
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 19:02
Ideally someone would package several 6 or 7 round picks and turn it into 2-3 picks in the 3rd or 4th round range. But that’s kind of competent GM territory
That would be more than just competent, that would be genius IMO. I doubt anybody wants a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks because the chances are they won't be very good and also the chances are there won't be room on the roster.

As a guide to how useful 6th and 7th round picks are, I looked at 2001-2010. Packers had 28 picks in those rounds, and the significant contributors were:

Scott Wells 2004, Johnny Jolly 2006, Korey Hall 2007, Mason Crosby 2007, Matt Flynn 2008, James Starks 2010. Plus 22 duds. (Unless there was another good player or two who I have clean forgotten about. But anyway, no pro bowlers.)

Undrafted players signed in that time included Cullen Jenkins, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, and Frank Zombo.

We wouldn't package up a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks for 3rds and 4ths because you can get as much quality (by blind luck as much as anything, I dare say) in the undrafted market as in the draft picks.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

dsr wrote:
30 Oct 2023 20:33
Drj820 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 19:02
That would be more than just competent, that would be genius IMO. I doubt anybody wants a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks because the chances are they won't be very good and also the chances are there won't be room on the roster.

As a guide to how useful 6th and 7th round picks are, I looked at 2001-2010. Packers had 28 picks in those rounds, and the significant contributors were:

Scott Wells 2004, Johnny Jolly 2006, Korey Hall 2007, Mason Crosby 2007, Matt Flynn 2008, James Starks 2010. Plus 22 duds. (Unless there was another good player or two who I have clean forgotten about. But anyway, no pro bowlers.)

Undrafted players signed in that time included Cullen Jenkins, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, and Frank Zombo.

We wouldn't package up a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks for 3rds and 4ths because you can get as much quality (by blind luck as much as anything, I dare say) in the undrafted market as in the draft picks.
If players arent part of your long term plans theyre just as useful as a dud. Might as well get the lottery ticket of the pick or use that to move up in the draft just a tad to get what you want.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

To get the 32 pick in the 3rd a team would need to trade the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pick in the 6th round, by the trade value charts.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 20:39
If players arent part of your long term plans theyre just as useful as a dud. Might as well get the lottery ticket of the pick or use that to move up in the draft just a tad to get what you want.
I don't think I'd agree that a player who isn't long-term, is no use at all. If he makes the team better now; if he by example or by teaching improves the play of the less experienced men; if he is not as good a player as we really need but we have no viable alternative; if he protects the young man who isn't ready by filling a spot on the team - then he is useful now.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

dsr wrote:
30 Oct 2023 20:48
lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 20:39
I don't think I'd agree that a player who isn't long-term, is no use at all. If he makes the team better now; if he by example or by teaching improves the play of the less experienced men; if he is not as good a player as we really need but we have no viable alternative; if he protects the young man who isn't ready by filling a spot on the team - then he is useful now.
What about what you just said do you think is useful right now based on the play on the field?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 20:41
To get the 32 pick in the 3rd a team would need to trade the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pick in the 6th round, by the trade value charts.
I do it in Madden and sims all the time!
RIP JustJeff

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
25 Oct 2023 13:23
I think I was the most optimistic of this group, and still see no reason with better health that we couldn't be double digit winners this season, no one can over come poor OL blocking, Rodgers couldn't do it last season either.

better blocking helps receiver gain time to separate as well as Love having more faith in it to just read the routes, not all of our receiver screw it up on every play, and Love has rarely had time to even see his 3rd receiver let along throw him the ball.
no offense Pugger, but I'am hearing a lot of "I told you so's " from people as yourself that only predicted about 5 wins, and no one mentions the real reason we aren't even doing that well, imo the OL and other health issues are the biggest reason why, and not this QB.

which I think was the biggest reason folks thought getting 6 wins would be a monumental achievement, our star offensive RB, the most productive offensive player we have has barely played, maybe it's a blessing, it's not as though this OL would be a big help for him, and would probably get him IR'd for the rest of the season.

this team, healthy, is capable of a lot more then we are seeing. :mrgreen:
It's true the Packers have suffered some injuries but taking a look around the league I don't believe they have had more bad luck than most other teams.
lupedafiasco wrote:

There's no way I'm giving up on Love after only seven games as the starter.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Interesting how our offensive EPA stays right where it is, but the defensive EPA has gradually gotten worse.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
31 Oct 2023 05:43
t's true the Packers have suffered some injuries but taking a look around the league I don't believe they have had more bad luck than most other teams.
injuries hurt more or less depending on the backups, just look at this OL, over the course of the last 3 years we've seen steady decline, we lost a couple starters, backups have been a huge drop off, and the starters have also declined (myers).

imo as the oline goes so goes everything else, at least to a point, RB's have very few run lanes, QB's are pressured into mistakes.
all more critical issues with a young QB like Love, jmo

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If a correct assumption it's still on LaFleur for the hires...

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Oct 2023 09:38
If a correct assumption it's still on LaFleur for the hires...
right, to me thats a good debate.

we've all heard that we had to pay Bisaccia top ST's cord wages to come, and we know that we tend to promote from within, we hear for scheme and team familiarity, agree to a limited degree, mostly I think it's because the HC doesn't want any boat rockers, and money, imo Lafleur would bring in more skilled assistants if he had more money allotted to doing so. :idn:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Last edited by Pckfn23 on 01 Nov 2023 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

They can give our OL whatever composite score they want, between penalties and letting free rushers in both the pass and the run game with enough regularity we can't sustain a drive for &%$@, they are hugely responsible for the failings on offense.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
01 Nov 2023 16:35
They can give our OL whatever composite score they want, between penalties and letting free rushers in both the pass and the run game with enough regularity we can't sustain a drive for &%$@, they are hugely responsible for the failings on offense.
no kidding, I don't know who this computer cowboy is, and no offense meant, but his run blocking grades seem to depict our OL far more then the pass pro, we can't string together enough plays to move the chains with out a OL blunder.

I agree, fix this OL and this offense takes a leap.

I finally listened to Guty's presser, I like that he's optimistic even though I didn't agree with anything he said concerning the Rasul trade, course he has to tell us he thinks we can get this turned around this year and headed in the right direction, but I agree with that, no impression of quit in him that I saw, I was glad the media kept after him about the Rasul trade, and his, we love draft picks in the 3rd round, can't have enough of those picks, last time Guty hit on 3rd round pick was............ :rotf:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gutey saying Myers is playing the best ball of his life. Lol

If Myers play is something Gute wants to publicaly praise, is it any wonder they can’t figure out which linemen are the best 5? I mean, cmon guys.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Let's let Hacksaw decide who is playing the best ball on the offensive line. This offensive line talk from Gutey is offensive ......... that's for sure. Borderline ridiculous.

Check out the Hacksaw's offensive line energy at the 1 minute mark.