Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

To me, Jordan Love is that athlete who has can uncanny ability to gaslight with his "swag." Anyone who has played sports at any level has encountered this type of athlete. The guy who really looks the part, walks with a saunter, gives the appearance of swag in every moment. The guy who makes everything look really good. But when you look at their production, it's really not very good. I swear, even coaches fall for this &%$@. It's mind boggling. It's all good and well to look smooth even when you're getting your &%$@ wrecked but the bottom line is that, well, you're getting your &%$@ wrecked.

DId anyone see the video of Love waggling his tongue on the dropback during the offseason workout? People were mesmerized. IDC about any of that &%$@. Production talks and BS walks. Get out there and do the job.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Papa John wrote:
30 Oct 2023 22:31
To me, Jordan Love is that athlete who has can uncanny ability to gaslight with his "swag." Anyone who has played sports at any level has encountered this type of athlete. The guy who really looks the part, walks with a saunter, gives the appearance of swag in every moment. The guy who makes everything look really good. But when you look at their production, it's really not very good. I swear, even coaches fall for this &%$@. It's mind boggling. It's all good and well to look smooth even when you're getting your &%$@ wrecked but the bottom line is that, well, you're getting your &%$@ wrecked.

DId anyone see the video of Love waggling his tongue on the dropback during the offseason workout? People were mesmerized. IDC about any of that &%$@. Production talks and BS walks. Get out there and do the job.
:clap: good take.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

bud fox wrote:
30 Oct 2023 22:48
Papa John wrote:

I know I came down hard on him in that last post and in a certain way I do feel sorry for him. I mean he probably wasn’t even expecting to be drafted until at least the 2nd round and then here comes this GM from the Packers trading up to grab him in the first. He was probably like WTF is going on why would someone draft me to replace Aaron Rodgers? So I can only really blame the kid so much because ultimately it was a completely idiotic move to draft him.

I don’t know what my ceiling is for Love. Most will tell you that acccuracy is impossible to teach and very difficult to improve. I do think he has athleticism but the accuracy issue is one that tends to plague throughout a career.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Papa John wrote:
30 Oct 2023 23:28
bud fox wrote:
30 Oct 2023 22:48
Papa John wrote:

I know I came down hard on him in that last post and in a certain way I do feel sorry for him. I mean he probably wasn’t even expecting to be drafted until at least the 2nd round and then here comes this GM from the Packers trading up to grab him in the first. He was probably like WTF is going on why would someone draft me to replace Aaron Rodgers? So I can only really blame the kid so much because ultimately it was a completely idiotic move to draft him.

I don’t know what my ceiling is for Love. Most will tell you that acccuracy is impossible to teach and very difficult to improve. I do think he has athleticism but the accuracy issue is one that tends to plague throughout a career.
Agree - unbelievable pressure. He just doesn't have it in certain aspects of his game unfortunately.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

bud fox wrote:
28 Oct 2023 23:44
No idea if this guy knows what he is talking about. I'll ask my friend who knows football, who btw does not like Love- he says if he had to decide right now, he would choose another QB but that we should definitely wait a bit and see if he improves first.

Here is a question for all of you haters: would you rather have Love or Jimmy G (the Jimmy G of 4 years ago)? Because Jimmy G by all rights should be a Super Bowl champion. I think Love is better than him, so therefore under a well-executed Shanahan scheme, Love should be sufficient.

After the KC game 2 years ago, I was ready to throw in the towel on Love, but he did improve in year 3 so I am not ready to give up on him at all yet.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

dsr wrote:
26 Oct 2023 04:00
Agreed. One thing I seem to see more often - I don't think it's just because I watch wit green and gold eyes - is the opposition QB throwing to a man who is totally uncovered. Love doesn't seem to do that, but I don't think it's because he's missing targets, I think it's because the man isn't there.
I don't think that's an accurate evaluation. Among 124 wide receivers or tight ends with at least 20 targets this season Musgrave ranks 1st in average separation (the distance in yards measured between a WR/TE and the nearest defender at the time of catch or incompletion) at 4.7, Watson is currently tied for 29th (3.4), Doubs tied for 64th (2.9) and Reed tied for 72nd (2.8).
Yoop wrote:
26 Oct 2023 20:36
according to stuff i've read a lot of teams are doing the dink and dunk approach with the forward pass this season, so it's not just because of Love's deep pass accuracy issues, which to me are more about wr chemistry on some of the pitches anyway.
Love is actually tied for second in intended air yards per attempt among QBs with at least 100 pass attempts this season.
Acrobat wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:47
A lot of us said the same thing about Davante in 2015. I still think Watson will be good. We're also not using him in ways that puts him in position to succeed. I haven't seen any jet sweeps called for him this year. Or how about some presnap movement by the goal line. It seems like we're just sending him on deep routes every play.
Adams and Watson are completely different players. While Adams relies on route running to get open Watson solely uses speed to achieve that. It seems teams have caught up to that this year though.
texas wrote:
31 Oct 2023 01:09
Here is a question for all of you haters: would you rather have Love or Jimmy G (the Jimmy G of 4 years ago)? Because Jimmy G by all rights should be a Super Bowl champion. I think Love is better than him, so therefore under a well-executed Shanahan scheme, Love should be sufficient.
I definitely wouldn't want Garropolo instead of Love. Unfortunately I'm not convinced I want Love as well though.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Interesting article by Pete Dougherty and Eric Baranczyk (I like their weekly analysis) in the GB Press-Gazette about it appears as if Love is losing his confidence. They said that it appeared like he was trying to guide some of his passes instead os throwing the ball. I think I have to agree. I have said before that he tries to touch throw too many passes instead of zipping them. Between the OL dysfunction and receivers dropping balls and running poor or incorrect routes it would be very difficult to have any faith in the play going right. Also, his occasional inaccuracy on his throws have all got to be eroding his confidence. It's really up to the coaches to find plays that will build his confidence.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

williewasgreat wrote:
31 Oct 2023 10:53
Interesting article by Pete Dougherty and Eric Baranczyk (I like their weekly analysis) in the GB Press-Gazette about it appears as if Love is losing his confidence. They said that it appeared like he was trying to guide some of his passes instead os throwing the ball. I think I have to agree. I have said before that he tries to touch throw too many passes instead of zipping them. Between the OL dysfunction and receivers dropping balls and running poor or incorrect routes it would be very difficult to have any faith in the play going right. Also, his occasional inaccuracy on his throws have all got to be eroding his confidence. It's really up to the coaches to find plays that will build his confidence.
Who can blame love for losing confidence?

Love calls an RPO on 3rd and 1 on the first drive and a WR fails to pick it up. After the teams exchange penalties and GB again faces another 3rd and 1 he hands the ball off to Dillon and the C forgets to block the nose tackle so the play loses yardage. That is peewee football bad.

Love throws a mediocre pass in the flat that Jones drops and on the next play throws to Musgrave over the middle who has to make a tough catch but cannot come down with it.

Love throws a beautiful slant to Wicks who will have a first down at the 2 yard line and he drops a ball that would get an Ashwaubenon high wideout sent to the bench.

Love throws a couple of balls to the "#1 WR" in contested situations, one of which hits the "#1 WR" in the mitts, and he fails to come down with them.

Love gets sacked 4 times and his "starting" LT gets pulled mid-game because he is getting beaten like a rented mule by someone named DJ Wonnum.

Love may not be any good, but the "talent" and production of those around him is, at present, God awful.

Instead of seeing #12 scowling or yelling this season, we are starting to see the glazed-over look of a young QB who knows that things are bad. Very bad.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

LombardiTime wrote:
31 Oct 2023 11:11
williewasgreat wrote:

Love calls an RPO on 3rd and 1 on the first drive and a WR fails to pick it up. After the teams exchange penalties and GB again faces another 3rd and 1 he hands the ball off to Dillon and the C forgets to block the nose tackle so the play loses yardage. That is peewee football bad.

Love throws a mediocre pass in the flat that Jones drops and on the next play throws to Musgrave over the middle who has to make a tough catch but cannot come down with it.

Love throws a beautiful slant to Wicks who will have a first down at the 2 yard line and he drops a ball that would get an Ashwaubenon high wideout sent to the bench.

Love throws a couple of balls to the "#1 WR" in contested situations, one of which hits the "#1 WR" in the mitts, and he fails to come down with them.

Love gets sacked 4 times and his "starting" LT gets pulled mid-game because he is getting beaten like a rented mule by someone named DJ Wonnum.

Love may not be any good, but the "talent" and production of those around him is, at present, God awful.
Yeah it is kind of a comedy of error where Love throws several bad passes that have no chance, yet on the occasions where he actually does throw good passes, something goes wrong that makes it almost never count. :oops: :bkw:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

LombardiTime wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:

Instead of seeing #12 scowling or yelling this season, we are starting to see the glazed-over look of a young QB who knows that things are bad. Very bad.
Very good points. I think the most frustrating thing of all is that we might end up moving on from Love without having a true evaluation of him but the pressure to win is so high that he could end up being the fall guy.

The one thing for me though that has me concerned about Love is the accuracy. Yikes. Even when the Packers weren't winning in 2008, Rodgers would still make those throws where you just knew the talent is there. I just don't see any signs of that with Love, whatsoever.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

LombardiTime wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:

your on a roll today Lombardi :aok:

I've read articles over the years explaining all your points, the first half of season 1 for a new QB is critical, either it builds confidence for his future or it robs it, so this was expected from me over the last few games, not to say Love couldn't turn this around, but rather he needs more help then he's been getting to do it.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
31 Oct 2023 11:51
LombardiTime wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:

I've read articles over the years explaining all your points, the first half of season 1 for a new QB is critical, either it builds confidence for his future or it robs it, so this was expected from me over the last few games, not to say Love couldn't turn this around, but rather he needs more help then he's been getting to do it.
Why are Loves mechanics garbage in year 4?
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Oct 2023 11:54
Yoop wrote:
31 Oct 2023 11:51
LombardiTime wrote:

Why are Loves mechanics garbage in year 4?
pressure, it's natural when the speed of the game (pass rush) is faster then your use to, or have the mental capacity to deal with, Love needed baby steps to acclimate to the increased pass rush ability at this level ( all young newbies do) and he didn't get it, and DC saw that in the first game against Chicago, and as with other young QB's they dialed up the rush, typically with Bahk and better blocking Love imho could have much better learned to deal with it, and we are seeing some improvements now, anyway that stuff destroys good tech, again imho nothing is worse for a new QB then pass rush, and practice for 3 years is nothing compared to a pass rush on 3rd and long.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Acrobat wrote:
31 Oct 2023 11:31
LombardiTime wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:

Very good points. I think the most frustrating thing of all is that we might end up moving on from Love without having a true evaluation of him but the pressure to win is so high that he could end up being the fall guy.

The one thing for me though that has me concerned about Love is the accuracy. Yikes. Even when the Packers weren't winning in 2008, Rodgers would still make those throws where you just knew the talent is there. I just don't see any signs of that with Love, whatsoever.
And I want to make clear that I am in no way absolving Love when it comes to his own poor play. For instance, the pass he short-armed to a wide-open Doubs in front of the Minnesota bench made me cringe. I also agree the accuracy has left a lot to be desired. He may just not be the guy.

It is just that there is no aspect of the offense (the line play play, the Running Backs, and mostly the WR & TEs) that looks functional at the moment so I have a difficult time concluding AS OF NOW that it really is just that Jordan Love is not any good.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Love is never going to have the completion percentage that Rodgers has…or QB rating. He is not that type of QB.

Love is more like Favre. He needs a Holmgren type coach who will coach him hard.

Unfortunately the team around him is the sh*tsh@w. It’s tough to accurately appraise Love with this team.

We do know he can score points in the 4th quarter when he tries to put the team on his back by scrambling for yards and throwing into coverage. That’s also where most of his mistakes are happening….and hopefully like Favre he will learn what he can do and when he can do it.

I’m not saying Love is Favre. There is no one like Brett. But he is closer to a gunslinger style than a Rodgers. Which translates to more ints but should also translate to bigger plays. And because the team around him is crap and poorly coached we’re not seeing the big plays.

Everyone is hyper focused on every throw. I’ve seen Brady throw 3 ints. As someone mentioned Jimmy G can’t hit the broad side of a barn sometimes. Rodgers has missed deep numerous times. Aikman went 1-15 his first year.

IMO, we need more time, better players and better coaching before we’ll see if Love is the man for the job.
Love is the answer…

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
31 Oct 2023 12:06
pressure, it's natural when the speed of the game (pass rush) is faster then your use to, or have the mental capacity to deal with, Love needed baby steps to acclimate to the increased pass rush ability at this level ( all young newbies do) and he didn't get it, and DC saw that in the first game against Chicago, and as with other young QB's they dialed up the rush, typically with Bahk and better blocking Love imho could have much better learned to deal with it, and we are seeing some improvements now, anyway that stuff destroys good tech, again imho nothing is worse for a new QB then pass rush, and practice for 3 years is nothing compared to a pass rush on 3rd and long.
His mechanics are bad when there no pressure on his. Its been pointed out by multiple analysts on multiple platforms. Hes bouncing around, not stepping into throws, not looking off safeties...

Every QB is going to face a pass rush. Hes in year 4. His mechanics should be so engraved into his muscle memory that the rush doesnt matter. I dont think its just coaching either. I cant imagine Lafleur, various QB coaches, Loves personal QB coach in the offseaosn, and every other coach hes had in his life is teaching his footwork to be all over the place.

If he was a rookie or even a 2nd year player I would agree. Maybe its his first year starting but hes been in the league long enough now the mechanical issues shouldnt be as bad as they are. I would even concede they shouldnt be as frequent. Mechanics are what made QBs like Brady and Brees terrific QBs and all it took was discipline. Love doesnt have any.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

LombardiTime wrote:
31 Oct 2023 12:07
Acrobat wrote:
31 Oct 2023 11:31
LombardiTime wrote:

And I want to make clear that I am in no way absolving Love when it comes to his own poor play. For instance, the pass he short-armed to a wide-open Doubs in front of the Minnesota bench made me cringe. I also agree the accuracy has left a lot to be desired. He may just not be the guy.

It is just that there is no aspect of the offense (the line play play, the Running Backs, and mostly the WR & TEs) that looks functional at the moment so I have a difficult time concluding AS OF NOW that it really is just that Jordan Love is not any good.
Yes, when the entire offense looks like garbage it is difficult to know what we have in any of these kids.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Oct 2023 12:48
Yoop wrote:
31 Oct 2023 12:06
His mechanics are bad when there no pressure on his. Its been pointed out by multiple analysts on multiple platforms. Hes bouncing around, not stepping into throws, not looking off safeties...

Every QB is going to face a pass rush. Hes in year 4. His mechanics should be so engraved into his muscle memory that the rush doesnt matter. I dont think its just coaching either. I cant imagine Lafleur, various QB coaches, Loves personal QB coach in the offseaosn, and every other coach hes had in his life is teaching his footwork to be all over the place.

If he was a rookie or even a 2nd year player I would agree. Maybe its his first year starting but hes been in the league long enough now the mechanical issues shouldnt be as bad as they are. I would even concede they shouldnt be as frequent. Mechanics are what made QBs like Brady and Brees terrific QBs and all it took was discipline. Love doesnt have any.
His mechanics where pretty good the first couple games most of the time, again and just my opinion, what you are seeing now is the result of rushers in his face time after time in the 2nd game on.

yes after 3 seasons we'd hope the mechanics are ingrained, problem is in that 3 years he's rarely faced the pass rush he's facing now, and once rattled old habits invade, what we are seeing right now with Love happens when the well thought out plan explodes, we are now seeing Love over think everything he does, so much so that technique evaporates under such a strain, we see good tech less and poor tech more as a result.
at least that what I believe I'am seeing :idn:

your also using some of the best ever to compare Love to, the chance that he ever becomes as good, is and has always been doubtful, and some of the better ones also suffered tech issues late, those things are never ingrained so deep that they don't surface for even the better QB, or any position.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pertinent.

Could it be the heavy focus on the negative is creating an overall negative bias?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

More stuff on Love and what he's showing. Click tweet to view plays.