Paco's thread on the 2023 season

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
03 Nov 2023 14:06
that draft imo was dedicated to scheme changes, Lafleur brought outside stretch running, Dequara was the HB to block for it, faster then Lewis, with zero blocking skills to match though, Lewis kept his job, yep, Dequara was a miss..
same with Dillon, Lafleur wanted a beefier RB then Williams to match with Jones, it was a attempt to bring about a power running attack, jmo

price of the draft, misses tend to out number the hits :cry:
Gutekunst should have never gone for backups with his first four picks in the 2020 draft but selected prospects that had a chance to have an immediate impact in the first place.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

CWIMM wrote:
08 Nov 2023 04:23
Yoop wrote:
that draft imo was dedicated to scheme changes, Lafleur brought outside stretch running, Dequara was the HB to block for it, faster then Lewis, with zero blocking skills to match though, Lewis kept his job, yep, Dequara was a miss..
same with Dillon, Lafleur wanted a beefier RB then Williams to match with Jones, it was a attempt to bring about a power running attack, jmo

Gutekunst should have never gone for backups with his first four picks in the 2020 draft but selected prospects that had a chance to have an immediate impact in the first place.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

While I agree that draft was not good, I understand the intent of drafting players to fulfill scheme specific roles. Like you and most members here, though, I wholly disagree(d) on the use of top picks for seemingly niche roles. That was dumb and the FO should be deservedly criticized.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

CWIMM wrote:
Yoop wrote:

The 2020 draft was beyond bad and stupid. What really hurts is the misses of the 2021 draft. Taking Stokes over Tyson Campbell was dumb. Then we took Josh Myers over Creed Humphrey. Then we took Amari Rodgers over Amon Ra St Brown. I mean thats two drafts that swing your team in completely opposite directions.

It only makes it that much worse when the 2020 draft was also just as bad. Thats why we are rebuilding. IT had nothing to do with the cap. You miss that badly on consecutive drafts and youll pay the price.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
Yoop wrote:

agreed of course, but thats what GM's do for new coaches who bring in different schemes and plans, Lafleur was quite open about wanting to build small ball dominance as soon as he arrived, to me that was the lone reason for the Dillon and Dequara picks, more power run schemes and outside zone blocking ability with a speedier guy then Lewis, to me Dequara was a poor pick, Dillon paned out.

I agree 2020 needed some skill position difference makers, thats a absolute, draft, UFA, or a trade.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

MY_TAKE wrote:
23 Oct 2023 16:09
Love could still change my mind, but im getting the feeling he is an average QB. IT appears as though we will be picking high in the first round. IF I am a GM it would be hard not to take one of the top 3 QBS if available.

Not sure where we will be with the salary cap next year (im sure others have that figured out) but why not go after a really good free agent if one is available that fits the mold.
Look what Reggie White and Charles Woodson did for the Packers......just saying
1st: Fire Gutekunst at the end of the season. He has gutted the Packer's like a fish and what remains are mostly rookies and second stringers.

2nd: Hire a new GM that will work well with LaFleur and his staff.

3rd: Use the first pick in the next draft for the best available Left Tackle. Offences and Defenses as well start with Line Play. GB used to set the standard for O-Lines, but has lost that honor. Let's get back there and the other parts of the offence can improve (running & passing) as well.

4th: Stop trading or not paying players to stay in GB. Too many players have been trained and given game experience only to see them exit for various reasons. The best teams keep their best players from leaving and build upon it. GB's current GM is just plain lousy and would divert his blame off on anyone else.

5th: Today Lambeau Field and it's Stadium are not a problem. It has been renovated, expanded, and approaches being a football shrine, but time never stops and one day something will have to be built or massive renovations will be unavoidable. I'd like for GB to have a modern domed Stadium with seating for 90+ thousand, but that takes planning and lots of money. The Packers need (if they don't already have) an untouchable building fund acct. with a minimum yearly deposit of 2% of the teams Gross Yearly Earnings. It could also be supplemented by selling team stock as has been done in the past. It's not a question of "IF" but "WHEN" and while todays problems must be addressed, tomorrow is not slowing down.
If your not the lead dog, then the scenery never changes.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheWolfman wrote:
09 Nov 2023 12:34

1st: Fire Gutekunst at the end of the season. He has gutted the Packer's like a fish and what remains are mostly rookies and second stringers.
I like this new guy! :aok:
:swear:

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

wallyuwl wrote:
09 Nov 2023 13:43
TheWolfman wrote:

Thanks, happy to have found such a friendly forum. Some are not friendly at all and a lot of aggression and petty arguments occur regularly. I've not yet seen that in this forum and it is very nice indeed. A breath oh fresh air so to speak.

As for our Packers, firing the coaches and hiring new ones solves nothing. The surviving roster will still be gutted and the person that did the damage will still remain. Start fresh with a new GM that 1st wants to win and is hungry. He will have to work well with LaFleur and his staff. They can't move forward if they are opposing against each other. That said, our dynamic duo must look first at fixing the O-Line.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheWolfman wrote:
09 Nov 2023 14:09
Some are not friendly at all and a lot of aggression and petty arguments occur regularly. I've not yet seen that in this forum and it is very nice indeed. A breath oh fresh air so to speak.

As for our Packers, firing the coaches and hiring new ones solves nothing. The surviving roster will still be gutted and the person that did the damage will still remain. Start fresh with a new GM that 1st wants to win and is hungry. He will have to work well with LaFleur and his staff. They can't move forward if they are opposing against each other. That said, our dynamic duo must look first at fixing the O-Line.
There are some petty arguments, but you'll figure out who is usually involved. And they aren't too major usually.

My point was fire Gutenbumst and little cryin' MLF and staff and start over from scratch.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheWolfman wrote:
09 Nov 2023 14:09
wallyuwl wrote:
09 Nov 2023 13:43
TheWolfman wrote:

Thanks, happy to have found such a friendly forum. Some are not friendly at all and a lot of aggression and petty arguments occur regularly. I've not yet seen that in this forum and it is very nice indeed. A breath oh fresh air so to speak.

I just think it’ll be a hard selling point to try and get a GM to come here if he isn’t going to have his choice of coach. That on top of having a roster without a franchise QB and very little upcoming site talent.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Nov 2023 14:22
I just think it’ll be a hard selling point to try and get a GM to come here if he isn’t going to have his choice of coach. That on top of having a roster without a franchise QB and very little upcoming site talent.
That is why a search must begin now for someone that will work well with LaFleur. LaFleur will already be his HC choice and they can fix/repair the Packers in a consolidated effort together. LaFleur could likely put forward a half a dozen candidates that he would like to work with.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheWolfman wrote:
09 Nov 2023 14:32
lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Nov 2023 14:22
That is why a search must begin now for someone that will work well with LaFleur. LaFleur will already be his HC choice and they can fix/repair the Packers in a consolidated effort together. LaFleur could likely put forward a half a dozen candidates that he would like to work with.
Owners (president with GB) and GM pick coaches, not other way around.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

wallyuwl wrote:
09 Nov 2023 17:13
Owners (president with GB) and GM pick coaches, not other way around.
Time will tell.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

TheWolfman wrote:
3rd: Use the first pick in the next draft for the best available Left Tackle. Offences and Defenses as well start with Line Play. GB used to set the standard for O-Lines, but has lost that honor. Let's get back there and the other parts of the offence can improve (running & passing) as well.
The Packers would have to be sure that Love is their future starting quarterback for that to make sense.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

CWIMM wrote:
10 Nov 2023 03:50
The Packers would have to be sure that Love is their future starting quarterback for that to make sense.
It matters not who GB's QB is next season. Success has it's roots secured in the O-Line. Even at his prime best, when opposition defense's pressured/sacked Tom Brady, it was the key strategy if one was to defeat those Patriots. To properly evaluate Jordon Love's full abilities, he will need a better O-Line. I've seen QB's struggle behind below average O-Lines move on to teams with much better O-Lines and be very successful. Also, If Love is not the future, the NFL Draft is not the only or even the best of options. Each year QBs enter the FA market that have already proven their abilities on NFL fields.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

TheWolfman wrote:
10 Nov 2023 10:10
It matters not who GB's QB is next season. Success has it's roots secured in the O-Line. Even at his prime best, when opposition defense's pressured/sacked Tom Brady, it was the key strategy if one was to defeat those Patriots. To properly evaluate Jordon Love's full abilities, he will need a better O-Line. I've seen QB's struggle behind below average O-Lines move on to teams with much better O-Lines and be very successful. Also, If Love is not the future, the NFL Draft is not the only or even the best of options. Each year QBs enter the FA market that have already proven their abilities on NFL fields.
Don't get me wrong, I understand that having a decent offensive line is important. But if the Packers deem Love not to be their future quarterback there's no reason to pass on a potential franchise QB to select a left tackle in next year's draft.

In general, it's not a smart approach to enter the draft solely focusing on one position but to select the player offering the best value once on the clock.

As a side note, there are hardly any decent starting QBs available in free agency. Teams just don't let them walk away to sign with another one.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
11 Nov 2023 05:25
TheWolfman wrote:
10 Nov 2023 10:10
Don't get me wrong, I understand that having a decent offensive line is important. But if the Packers deem Love not to be their future quarterback there's no reason to pass on a potential franchise QB to select a left tackle in next year's draft.

In general, it's not a smart approach to enter the draft solely focusing on one position but to select the player offering the best value once on the clock.

As a side note, there are hardly any decent starting QBs available in free agency. Teams just don't let them walk away to sign with another one.
I think QB is a outlier to BPA, it's without any doubt the most important position on the team, hopefully Love keeps improving as this receiver group does and we have at minimum a quality starting QB by seasons end, or I think we have to take another bite of the apple.