Play the 2023 Packers Blame Game!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is (most) to blame?

Poll ended at 04 Nov 2023 09:01

Brian Gutekunst
37%
Matt LaFleur
48%
Joe Barry
No votes
Jordan Love
4%
Unavoidable major roster upheaval, the above are all fine -or- cannot be fairly evaluated right now
11%

Total votes: 27

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Papa John wrote:
03 Nov 2023 11:04
Yoop wrote:
03 Nov 2023 10:38
Papa John wrote:
03 Nov 2023 10:10
But ahead of the 2020 season, I think there were reasons for skepticism: that Rodgers's play at QB was not good enough to be a serious contender, that maybe even he was in decline. When we faced SF, we didn't look like we belonged (people keep talking about another WR, how about addressing the stuff that actually caused us to lose, e.g. stopping the run).
who is it that thought Rodgers was in decline in 2019, I'd like to see the names on that list, from 2016 on the talent on offense was in decline, McCarthy almost refused to run the ball, the receivers didn't fit McCarthy's pass schemes.
2019 brought in Lafleur and a completely different offense approach, and eventually the ofrfense started to improve, anyone that says Rodgers wasn't any good in that transition is talking out there a ss

no one that knows this game would say Rodgers was the problem that year, thats nothing but a defense for this GM moving up and drafting Love, and a shallow one at that.

Hey Yoop, nice post. I didn’t write that though. No idea how my name ended up in your quoted post.
Thanks Papa, thats happened to me before, it's probably my fault :aok:

all I know is that to say Rodgers was in decline in 17,18,19 is to over look why, everything McCarthy did was in decline, didn't have scheme specific talent, then Lafleur brought a completely different set of schemes, no QB will play MVP level under those conditions, and members that can't or wont accept that, don't want to, there agenda has always been to degrade Rodgers, in order to defend the some of the chaotic team building going on since 2016

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Labrev wrote:
03 Nov 2023 15:06
But drafting Love, or a QB in general, ... not what I would have done, but I can see the logic behind it. I mean, if that pick is Jalen Hurts (and looks as good as he does now) then nobody is relitigating and criticizing this pick.
It wouldn't have made any sense to select Hurts in the first round of the 2020 draft either. As I have said a lot of times since the 2020 the criticism about that pick has nothing to do with Love but the position that was selected.
go pak go wrote:
03 Nov 2023 16:05
I mean by and large your draft picks will be backups their rookie season when you are a contending football team.They are a rookie.
Trent McDuffie, Jaylen Watson and Joshua Williams ranked second, third and fourth in snaps played at cornerback for the Super Bowl champions Kansas City Chiefs last season. All of them were rookies.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

CWIMM wrote:
08 Nov 2023 04:55
Labrev wrote:
But drafting Love, or a QB in general, ... not what I would have done, but I can see the logic behind it. I mean, if that pick is Jalen Hurts (and looks as good as he does now) then nobody is relitigating and criticizing this pick.
It wouldn't have made any sense to select Hurts in the first round of the 2020 draft either. As I have said a lot of times since the 2020 the criticism about that pick has nothing to do with Love but the position that was selected.
go pak go wrote:
I mean by and large your draft picks will be backups their rookie season when you are a contending football team.They are a rookie.
Trent McDuffie, Jaylen Watson and Joshua Williams ranked second, third and fourth in snaps played at cornerback for the Super Bowl champions Kansas City Chiefs last season. All of them were rookies.
Yeah the Chiefs also won with a great #1 receiver (Kelce) and MVS level guys for the next option.

What the Chiefs did was pretty special. Definitely raised my level of respect for Reid, Mahommes and the rest of the Chiefs leaders.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2023 06:09
CWIMM wrote:
Labrev wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Yeah the Chiefs also won with a great #1 receiver (Kelce) and MVS level guys for the next option.

What the Chiefs did was pretty special. Definitely raised my level of respect for Reid, Mahommes and the rest of the Chiefs leaders.
his point has been mine for ages, rookies do start every year and on any team, we have been in this mind set around here that rookies need to develop behind a starter for a season, while thats true for a lot of rookies, specially mid top late rounders, it's doesn't hold true for most first round players, in fact the reason there first rounders isn't just there talent level, it's also readiness to play at this level.

what about Valentine? we just voted that rookie player of the week.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Nov 2023 07:01
go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2023 06:09
CWIMM wrote:

his point has been mine for ages, rookies do start every year and on any team, we have been in this mind set around here that rookies need to develop behind a starter for a season, while thats true for a lot of rookies, specially mid top late rounders, it's doesn't hold true for most first round players, in fact the reason there first rounders isn't just there talent level, it's also readiness to play at this level.

what about Valentine? we just voted that rookie player of the week.
Yeah I don't know what the overarching argument here is. Is it because we only had one impactful rookie in 2020? Because Gute has an okay bat rate of rookies contributing in his career. Even early on when the Packers had a solid roster.

2018 - Alexander, Jackson, MVS (Jackson was decent his rookie year)
2019 - Savage and Jenkins
2020 - Runyan
2021 - Stokes, Myers, Newman (Hill would have been had he not gotten hurt)
2022 - Walker, Wyatt, Watson, Doubs
2023 - LVN, Reed, Musgrave, Wicks, Brooks, Carlson, Valentine

And again, AJ Dillon was your 2020 piece. He was effective in that perilous game. MLF just didn't give him the ball.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

6+ games started by a rookie for Super Bowl participants:
Chiefs - 5
Eagles - 0
Rams - 1
Bengals - 2
Bucs - 2
Chiefs - 3
Chiefs - 1
49ers - 5
Patriots - 1
Rams - 0
Eagles - 0
Patriots - 1
Patriots - 2
Falcons - 4
Broncos - 3
Panthers - 1
Patriots - 1
Seahawks - 2
Seahawks - 2
Broncos - 0

11+ games started by a rookie for Super Bowl participants:
Chiefs - 3
Eagles - 0
Rams - 0
Bengals - 1
Bucs - 2
Chiefs - 1
Chiefs - 1
49ers - 3
Patriots - 0
Rams - 0
Eagles - 0
Patriots - 0
Patriots - 1
Falcons - 2
Broncos - 2
Panthers - 0
Patriots - 1
Seahawks - 1
Seahawks - 0
Broncos - 0
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

the point is that rookies can play and play well, Dillon and Runyan played as rookies, not as well as some others, if Watson hadn't had surgery then he and Rodgers would have developed some chemistry sooner and Watson could have been a K receiver.

rookies playing has been a after thought under Mike McCarthy and Rodgers, the mindset that mistakes lose games was prevalent under both, to a point, I agree, however, Cobb was as ready to play as any receiver we've ever drafted, GJ, Adams as well, same with other players over that time frame, when necessity demand we play them, well Valentine isn't the only stud muffin to do so in a big way, remember Sammy quick at foot Shields.

obviously if a team has a loaded roster there is no room for Rookies to break in, wow give that thought a fat cigar, no kidding, yes KC is out of the ordinary, but who here said rookies would fill a roster..

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Nov 2023 08:46
6+ games started by a rookie for Super Bowl participants:

And the Packers in 2010 had three rookies who started 6 or more, Bulaga in round 1 and Shields and Zombo undrafted. All those extra high picks that weren't much used, and undrafted players were. There really are no guarantees.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

CWIMM wrote:
But the only valid criticism should be about the player. By your argument, all the teams that failed to pick Aaron Rodgers all those years ago, could be said to have done right - not because a Hall of Fame QB wouldn't have helped the team long term, but because it wouldn't have helped that season.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

Poll ended too soon, replace this GM at the end of the season. 8-)
If your not the lead dog, then the scenery never changes.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

TheWolfman wrote:
08 Nov 2023 15:01
Welcome, I like your avatar!

The sticky thing is Murphy will be retiring in 2025, in June at the latest. If Gutey gets fired, the new GM will essentially be a lame duck until the new president comes in.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
08 Nov 2023 17:04
TheWolfman wrote:

The sticky thing is Murphy will be retiring in 2025, in June at the latest. If Gutey gets fired, the new GM will essentially be a lame duck until the new president comes in.
Thanks, glad you like my avatar, had to work on the original picture to achieve this result. My 1st attempt to join this forum failed as I somehow evaporated the e-mail with the link needed to secure the deal. I was going to be TheVirginian and my avatar was going to be a smiling George Washington. I think now that this may have turned out even better.

GB's management needs a massive change, a new fresh hungry breed that wants nothing more than to win , not just balance the books and cash the checks. Some in the past had that hunger, hope we can get that gamblers spirit back instead of someone fielding enough players to meet the league minimums. Without a single owner who can act, GB I fear will have to suffer along with this GM as even more starters jump ship for greater rewards.

A pleasure to meet you, hope we speak again. Go Pack Go ! :beer2:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
TheWolfman wrote:

I sadly think what is going to happen is Gutenbumst is able to justify that LaFleur isn’t his guy. Murphy hired him and LaFleur has consistently hired terrible coaches which is all true. So Murphy allows LaFleur to be fired and Gutenbumst hires his own HC.

The following year Murphy is forced to retire and someone replaces him but the team still isn’t doing well and, well Gutenbumst isn’t his guy either so he fired him after seeing the atrocities he’s committed against this organization over the years.

But the new GM taking over realizes the HC isn’t his guy either so we fire him and the new GM gets his own guy. So we are just spinning through front office personnel and coaches over the next two years.

Just clean house and find one single vision and focus moving forward. Thanks for sprucing up the GB area and bring the draft to Titletown but you aren’t a football guy Murphy.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Nov 2023 20:44
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
TheWolfman wrote:

I sadly think what is going to happen is Gutenbumst is able to justify that LaFleur isn’t his guy. Murphy hired him and LaFleur has consistently hired terrible coaches which is all true. So Murphy allows LaFleur to be fired and Gutenbumst hires his own HC.

The following year Murphy is forced to retire and someone replaces him but the team still isn’t doing well and, well Gutenbumst isn’t his guy either so he fired him after seeing the atrocities he’s committed against this organization over the years.

But the new GM taking over realizes the HC isn’t his guy either so we fire him and the new GM gets his own guy. So we are just spinning through front office personnel and coaches over the next two years.

Just clean house and find one single vision and focus moving forward. Thanks for sprucing up the GB area and bring the draft to Titletown but you aren’t a football guy Murphy.
I believe that you are both right and wrong on this. Murphy knows that LaFleur and entire coaching staff are top of the line people. Furthermore, he will know that his time in running down and will want to make corrections before he retires. I believe that he will fire Gutekunst at the end of this season and hire a new GM that will work well with LaFleur. LaFleur and the new GM working with their staffs will wheel, deal, trade, and draft to a better team over the 2024 and 2025 seasons. Love may or may not be retained, but this and the following seasons will be rough ones for the Packers. By then Murphy will be out, a new GM will be in, and the quality of the players will improve.

How quickly we forget that when LaFleur arrived they went on a tear winning games. Then the best players started to leave for various reasons. GB is just a shell of it's former self. Yes the ST's coach was replaced and rightfully so. GB is a shadow of the team that LaFleur took over. Don't blame a good coach because the GM gutted the team ! An old phrase applies here, "you don't through out the baby with the bath water".

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

dsr wrote:
08 Nov 2023 10:26
But the only valid criticism should be about the player. By your argument, all the teams that failed to pick Aaron Rodgers all those years ago, could be said to have done right - not because a Hall of Fame QB wouldn't have helped the team long term, but because it wouldn't have helped that season.
None of those teams which get criticized for not selecting Rodgers in the 2005 draft had a HOF QB on the roster and was coming off making it to the NFCCG the previous year though.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

CWIMM wrote:
09 Nov 2023 04:41
dsr wrote:
None of those teams which get criticized for not selecting Rodgers in the 2005 draft had a HOF QB on the roster and was coming off making it to the NFCCG the previous year though.
Are you saying that if the Packers had won a couple more games in 2004, then drafting Rodgers would have been a mistake?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

dsr wrote:
09 Nov 2023 09:23
CWIMM wrote:
dsr wrote:
Are you saying that if the Packers had won a couple more games in 2004, then drafting Rodgers would have been a mistake?
Exactly right. If this happened two weeks later...Ted Thompson had NO BUSINESS drafting Rodgers.

But it happened in the Wildcard Round so you know...revisionist history justified.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (286.48 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
09 Nov 2023 12:37
dsr wrote:
CWIMM wrote:

Exactly right. If this happened two weeks later...Ted Thompson had NO BUSINESS drafting Rodgers.

But it happened in the Wildcard Round so you know...revisionist history justified.
And frankly for all the hand-wringing about not getting Rodgers enough weapons at WR, in Favre's case that was actually a legitimate grievance. Rodgers had fewer years with sub-par WRs than Favre had years of good ones.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
09 Nov 2023 13:33
go pak go wrote:
09 Nov 2023 12:37
dsr wrote:

And frankly for all the hand-wringing about not getting Rodgers enough weapons at WR, in Favre's case that was actually a legitimate grievance. Rodgers had fewer years with sub-par WRs than Favre had years of good ones.
so then two wrongs make what? when Favre had quality receivers he won a SB, when Rodgers had quality receivers he won a SB, when neither had them they didn't

and Ted didn't go looking for replacement QB, Rodger dropped to our slot, Guty traded up to take Love, it's hardly the same.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
09 Nov 2023 13:49
so then two wrongs make what? when Favre had quality receivers he won a SB, when Rodgers had quality receivers he won a SB, when neither had them they didn't
Rodgers was not wronged at all, not even close to how much Favre was, even Tom Brady didn't get as many good WRs as Rodgers did over their careers (and won multiple titles with WRs you would have complained are not good enough for Rodgers).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto