Week 10 Post Game: Steelers vs Packers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
12 Nov 2023 15:47
Pugger wrote:
12 Nov 2023 15:46
paco wrote:
12 Nov 2023 15:44

That is not good. Our inability to stop the run is an issue.
We don't know if we can stop the run. Barry hasn't tried it yet.
:clap: :clap: was thinking the same thing :rotf: 3rd and 1 and Barry trots out the nascar coverage unit

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

paco wrote:
12 Nov 2023 16:08
Labrev wrote:
12 Nov 2023 16:01
And man, Watson is a massive disappointment this year. His play last year arguably sparked our midseason turnaround, but he has largely been a non-factor this year.

I maintain that part of it is that Love has not adjusted his throws to account for Watson's speed enough, which is why all his long balls to him seem to be underthrown, but that does not change the fact that Watson in his individual capacity is not playing well.

I am on board with benching Watson and starting Wicks, in part because Wicks is just playing better and is the superior receiver right now, but also a message needs to be sent to Watson to get his act together, playmaking ability alone does not give you starting-job security. We can draft an MVS next April if he is not going to be anything better.

Aaron Jones also stunk up the field today. Not a good year for him. Injury obviously is not his fault but he's presumably healthy now.

I have railed on MLF for much of the season, but I thought he did fine today.
MY_TAKE wrote:
12 Nov 2023 16:02
Christian Watson is actually hurting this team right now. Its sad to say but he is. Love needs to figure that out too. He will be way more successful if he tends not to look his way. ITs sad. Anyone remember Troy Williamson of the Vikings. Reminds me of that situation except Troy was an even worst bust that in the first round no less.
I agree, he's been a disappointment this year. But he's not going to get better off the field.

Why couldn't he? A lot of players who have gotten benched responded by improving when they return, for whatever reason (attitude adjustment, working harder behind-the-scenes, etc.). Just last year we saw that happen with Savage.

Besides, I am not saying remove him from the field altogether, just to make him WR4.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

paco wrote:
I agree, he's been a disappointment this year. But he's not going to get better off the field. Have to work through it and see if he and Love can build on anything together. Wicks does need more opportunities though. He's the 1 receiver consistently getting open and getting separation.
People have tried to compare Davante Adams few early dropsies to Watson. ITs a terrible comparison. Everyone could see the ball skills/body control Davante had. Its night and day, not to mention Davante could jump out of the gym and hade some real suddenness and could run routes. Watson will be limited because more than anything he is just fast. If that was the most important thing in wrs than GMs would go hang out at the olympic 100 meter trials. :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

MY_TAKE wrote:
12 Nov 2023 16:18
paco wrote:
I agree, he's been a disappointment this year. But he's not going to get better off the field. Have to work through it and see if he and Love can build on anything together. Wicks does need more opportunities though. He's the 1 receiver consistently getting open and getting separation.
People have tried to compare Davante Adams few early dropsies to Watson. ITs a terrible comparison. Everyone could see the ball skills/body control Davante had. Its night and day, not to mention Davante could jump out of the gym and hade some real suddenness and could run routes. Watson will be limited because more than anything he is just fast. If that was the most important thing in wrs than GMs would go hang out at the olympic 100 meter trials. :rotf:
There is no comparison to Watson and Adams.

The player on this team that reminds me of Adam is Wicks.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

MY_TAKE wrote:
Christian Watson is actually hurting this team right now. Its sad to say but he is. Love needs to figure that out too. He will be way more successful if he tends not to look his way. ITs sad. Anyone remember Troy Williamson of the Vikings. Reminds me of that situation except Troy was an even worst bust that in the first round no less.
I have to, and really want to, believe Watson is dinged up.

I have seen old CBs Marcus Peters and Patrick Peterson stay with if not catch up to Watson this season. That did not happen in 2022.

If he is not hurt, then the reality is a bit more depressing for all involved.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Our next three games are against teams superior to us. Wouldn't be surprising to be 3-9 at all going into the final stretch.

This was a big game for MLF because 3-9 starts putting coaches on the hot seat.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

My take

Before the game the chat was about finishing pressures. Put me in the camp that pressures are good but not always good enough. Case and point we should have had 10 sacks today... I would have taken 4. Instead we had one. One the other pressures somehow Pickett got out and made the play. That hurts. Gary and Clark loved in the backfield but couldn't finish.

Run d was bad early and it was schemed that way. Base we did ok in.

Campbell looks slow and aging before our eyes. Like the player but quay is missed

Young CBs did ok against good wrs. Steelers offense is not good but they have 2 legit pass catchers I didn't see those guys running free at all.

OL run blocking is not good. No push esp Meyers and JRJ. I want to see more Rhyan to know what we have there and draft some dudes. Pass pro wasn't bad against some killers.

Saw some nice things from all pass catchers not named Watson. WTF is wrong with that dude? He just seems to not have the dog in him. Looks like he half asses everything. A real shame. He doesn't need to be a true 1 but needs to be a big play waiting to happen. He hasn't been. Draft a dog like Nabers and this group is fine

Jones didn't have a good day yikes. So hot and cold

And Love. It wasn't all bad. He showed some real deal plays and arm talent. Then he did some real deal dumb &%$@. Forcing balls when he didn't need to. Locking on 1 read. Just some stuff that needs to be fixed and fixed soon if he's gonna be the guy I liked the approach they came out slinging. Not scared dumb off not offense stuff but real let's go after these guys. I'm still on the fence but he isn't trash. In a league lacking top tier QB talent he starts on teams around the NFL.

This team is growing and just needs to make some plays and breaks. That was a battle that a bounce here or there we win. Then again play cleaner and they win walking away.

Chargers are soft. Throat punch those sissys next week

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
12 Nov 2023 16:29
MY_TAKE wrote:
12 Nov 2023 16:18
paco wrote:
There is no comparison to Watson and Adams.

The player on this team that reminds me of Adam is Wicks.
This is honest to god the truth.

Wicks just has the ability to separate and he has a my ball mentality. He had a soft drop IMO. It’s one a top notch receiver needs to make but it was also a pass made more difficult by Love which is a trend we just see week in and week out. He’s not accurate.

Watson just doesn’t look natural catching the ball. Instead of plucking the ball he looks like he’s always trying to envelop the ball with his arms into his face. It’s so awkward and unnatural looking to me.

Another Gutenbumst trade up and flop.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
Pugger wrote:
paco wrote:
12 Nov 2023 15:44

Gotta stop blaming DCs for systemic problems.

Fans have blamed 3 straight DCs now for not being able to stop the run.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

MY_TAKE wrote:
He’s sadly another Justin Hunter. MVS. The leagues littered with big fast guys who suck at everything about being a WR after the ball is put in the air.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Nov 2023 17:26
paco wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Agree. We have one of the highest paid nose tackles in the league. We have another 1st rd DL, 2 first rd ends/Olbs, a first rd MLB.

These are players that have to win their battles. Maybe we should play more Slayton and Clark - maybe get another big guy to rotate over the other bums especially if Clark wants to rush the passer.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

bud fox wrote:
12 Nov 2023 17:39
lupedafiasco wrote:
paco wrote:

Agree. We have one of the highest paid nose tackles in the league. We have another 1st rd DL, 2 first rd ends/Olbs, a first rd MLB.

These are players that have to win their battles. Maybe we should play more Slayton and Clark - maybe get another big guy to rotate over the other bums especially if Clark wants to rush the passer.
Clark has been garbage this year. He hasn’t been good for a few seasons now. He makes big time splash plays but his consistency has left the building.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I think our roster is better than the Steelers. If not better, they are really close to the same in talent.

Hence it was a close game.

But also disappointing to lose a game where you aren’t out gunned. Just outcoached.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Nov 2023 17:41
bud fox wrote:
12 Nov 2023 17:39
lupedafiasco wrote:

Clark has been garbage this year. He hasn’t been good for a few seasons now. He makes big time splash plays but his consistency has left the building.
While I tend to agree he disappoints and disappears over the last 3ish seasons I thought he played well the last few weeks focusing on him he is getting upfield and winning his battle. Problem is the scheme does matter. When you have 2 bigs down and the ol can put extra hats on them then flow to the 2nd level you are set up to fail. I think BF said it. The Steelers should have ran every play like the 49ers did. Until we changed fronts (it slowed the run when we did) why pass.

Yes Clark hasn't been great but Campbell has been awful filling the hole and/or getting completely washed out.

This should have been the game to load the box and force Pickett to beat you. Who cares if we are down to street CBs. Nothing to lose back to the wall mentality. Go get it.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
paco wrote:
Pugger wrote:

We gave up 200 yards rushing to a team with a &%$@ QB and &%$@ offense playing nickel the entire game.

That doesn’t upset you?

Whether it’s LaFleur or Barry, I don’t get how that passes your bum sauce test.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My best guess is we end the season with another 3 - 5 wins.

NYG, CAR, and Chicago should be wins and I think we steal another 1 to 2 wins beyond that. So probably staring at 6-11 to 8-9 which is anywhere from the 6th to 16th pick in the draft.

The keys moving forward is continuing to see if we have something in Love. Another thing is to see which WR steps up. We have 4 WRs right now and will likely add another one next spring which means one of the top 4 might be the odd man out.

Overall I think our necessary direction is to strongly look at our coaching staff, add offensive line talent in the draft and take a WR and RB if one is available.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
12 Nov 2023 18:09
lupedafiasco wrote:
paco wrote:

We gave up 200 yards rushing to a team with a &%$@ QB and &%$@ offense playing nickel the entire game.

That doesn’t upset you?

Whether it’s LaFleur or Barry, I don’t get how that passes your bum sauce test.
I’m not ok with it at all. It’s actually my point. Packers fans just continue to blame the same thing over and over. Fire Capers! Fire Pettine! Fire Barry!

Nothing is changing from a philosophical standpoint. We keep taking swings on athletic bums at LB. We get athletic safeties that don’t bother stepping in against the run. Our defensive line are just penetrating and throwing their gaps to the wind. This has been happening regardless of DC. Time to make a culture change.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

no way this team wins 8 games.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
paco wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Lupe, no. Stop it. Did you count how many plays we had the 2-man front Nascar out there today? Joe didn't even care to stop the run.

Think about this. The Steelers prefer to run the ball a lot. And they are decent at it too. So, we're on their field and we pull out that 2-man front like 80% of the time? Seriously? I wish I had an actual count of how many snaps, including third and short plays. Joe did NOT want to stop the run.

Was he too worried about needing max coverage on the back end, with Quay and Jaire out? Maybe.

Did he really think that Pickett was going to pass us to death? Give me a break.

This one game is the one where I pull the plug on Joe Barry. Get him outta there! Never soon enough.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!