2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Acrobat wrote:
13 Nov 2023 16:59
Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Nov 2023 14:20
Nickel in a 3-4 can be played several different ways: 2-4, 3-3 stack, or 3-3 heavy.

This year's defense is making fundamental personnel mistakes consistently. There was about a handful of times yesterday where we were in nickel or dime in short yardage situations or against personnel that didn't dictate the use of nickel or dime.
Yeah I saw that MLF ripped on everyone who has gripes about this and that they were "Exposed". I would say that MLF/Barry are the ones being exposed since we keep getting gashed on the ground.

I get defending your coaches while they're still employed but if Barry is still employed going into next season, then MLF should also be gone.
Based upon the number of high-yardage rushing games against our D... For sure.

It's obvious that JoeB and MLF think that spacing your DLinement five yards apart in obvious running situations is okay. Facts say otherwise.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Scott4Pack wrote:
14 Nov 2023 15:27
Acrobat wrote:
13 Nov 2023 16:59
Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Nov 2023 14:20
Nickel in a 3-4 can be played several different ways: 2-4, 3-3 stack, or 3-3 heavy.

This year's defense is making fundamental personnel mistakes consistently. There was about a handful of times yesterday where we were in nickel or dime in short yardage situations or against personnel that didn't dictate the use of nickel or dime.
Yeah I saw that MLF ripped on everyone who has gripes about this and that they were "Exposed". I would say that MLF/Barry are the ones being exposed since we keep getting gashed on the ground.

I get defending your coaches while they're still employed but if Barry is still employed going into next season, then MLF should also be gone.
Based upon the number of high-yardage rushing games against our D... For sure.

It's obvious that JoeB and MLF think that spacing your DLinement five yards apart in obvious running situations is okay. Facts say otherwise.
Exactly. Like Pckfn23 said, yeah you don't want to publicly call out your D Coordinator, but you can't go into press conferences acting like you're smarter than everyone else when you're not producing results.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

it's obvious that Barry is going nowhere. in fact I think it's likely he's the DC next year too because none of them are going anywhere until Murphy is done. he won't make any changes in GM right before he leaves because he'll leave it for the next guy and their isn't enough time to start over before a new president takes over and will bring in his own guys. and Gute isn't getting rid of MLF. He's made his bed and I don't see him bugging out early.

So we're likely with this group till "the end" so to speak. and it's obvious MLF isn't bailing on Barry. It took him losing a super bowl appearance to finally get rid of a ST coordinator.

Pushing back that hard on fans or press calling out our poor run defense does not sit well with me. I understand he's not going to throw Barry under a bus. But it tells me he really does like him as our DC. He needs to put his ass squarely on the hot seat if he has any balls as a HC. He's not had a group performing like they should for 3 years now. and coming off a game we give up 200+ to a team averaging less than 100 is ridiculous.

yeah I know we have injuries and I know guys miss tackles, but you guys, MLF and Barry, are responsible for them. this is why they always underperform. They're always making excuses from the top.

I'd have much less issue if he said something like, we're missing tackles, we have some injuries to deal with, but we have to be better. it's not good enough. We can't win like this. We need better production from every body. Not, well you guys are exposed as idiots for questioning our run defense.

I guess we'll see if Gute sends them all a message, though I'd doubt it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Need to fire our D-Coord to stay on the Favre-Rodgers transition schedule (and win three more games); I don't make the rules.

Don't screw this up, Matty!
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

musclestang wrote:
14 Nov 2023 16:48
it's obvious that Barry is going nowhere. in fact I think it's likely he's the DC next year too because none of them are going anywhere until Murphy is done.
Barry should be safe rest of the year. No one really to replace him. I think our Run Game Coordinator Jerry Montgomery would be next in line, I’ll let the jokes write themselves on that one.

Although next year, assuming we miss the playoffs, LaFluer pretty much gotta be in the mindset that he’s coaching for his job. He’ll make the DC decision with the best interest in 2024 in mind.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
14 Nov 2023 17:36
musclestang wrote:
14 Nov 2023 16:48
it's obvious that Barry is going nowhere. in fact I think it's likely he's the DC next year too because none of them are going anywhere until Murphy is done.
Barry should be safe rest of the year. No one really to replace him. I think our Run Game Coordinator Jerry Montgomery would be next in line, I’ll let the jokes write themselves on that one.

Although next year, assuming we miss the playoffs, LaFluer pretty much gotta be in the mindset that he’s coaching for his job. He’ll make the DC decision with the best interest in 2024 in mind.
Meanwhile our new secondary coach seems promising at least based on the play of the V/Ballentines
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Nov 2023 13:22
No, had nothing to do with Herman specifically... It was Lafleur's presser comments today.
Some context:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
14 Nov 2023 20:36
Pckfn23 wrote:
No, had nothing to do with Herman specifically... It was Lafleur's presser comments today.
Some context:

MLF needs to go.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Would love to see MLF explain this one away.

I can’t tell you how many times I pointed out the defensive personnel alignments to my Steeler fan buds at the game and they would just laugh incredulously.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
14 Nov 2023 20:39
APB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Some context:

MLF needs to go.
Lol wtf. does little Matt not know what the term “down” as in “down linemen” means? It’s literally in the phrase. It’s the amount of “men” on the “line”, “down” in a 3 or 4 point stance at the LOS.

No wonder this guy can’t give some guidance on stopping the run. What does a RB being able to block preston have to do with anything???

On a run play, that RB will have the ball, not blocking!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

No additional commentary necessary:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

More of those awesome run defense alignment calls:

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

APB wrote:
14 Nov 2023 20:42
Would love to see MLF explain this one away.

I can’t tell you how many times I pointed out the defensive personnel alignments to my Steeler fan buds at the game and they would just laugh incredulously.

I feel bad for you, I really do.

My Steeler-fan friends were sincerely mad at me for the Packers making Matt Canada look like a competent OC by doing nothing more than running the ball into light boxes.

Can't imagine how frustrating that must have been in person.

That said, it looked like a beautiful day in Pittsburgh, so hope you enjoyed your trip!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Absolute respect for Jason Wilde putting pressure on the organization this season. One of the few media members not scared to lose his press pass and asking the real questions.

It’s something that’s been lost of the years by not only the media but the fan base who is somehow ok with just being ok. True respect.

Im here at a conference in San Antonio where the question was just asked to one of the high ranking personnel in the Air Force that why is it on to keep admiring and acknowledging the problems in the AF but never coming up with a solution. Could t have applied more to the Packers and the culture set by the front office personnel and their bitches.
Last edited by lupedafiasco on 14 Nov 2023 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
14 Nov 2023 21:31
More of those awesome run defense alignment calls:

SOOO many unsound alignments it's baffling. Take the TD for example. The nose is lined up as a 2i in the offenses left A gap and we are tasking him with the opposite A gap to the offenses right. The ILB is tasked with the offenses left A gap which the NT just vacated. It makes it INCREDIBLY easy for the C and RG to double the NT and then the center to come off and get the ILB. Clark goes C gap, but even if he goes B the RT can just take him where he wants to go and there isn't a defender to make the play in the C gap. Maybe the safety is supposed to have C gap, but that's a hell of an ask for any safety.

It's 11 personnel on the 4 yard line... Go base...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Some context:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

everyone knows our OLB's are not linebackers, what a weird response, OLB's are more then just edge rushers, I'am at the end of my rope with Lafleur, and his continuous defense of Barry, no amount of execution will make those alignments work better, they aint worked better for 3 years now. and we just took two interior DL who where expected to fortify our run defense with the use of more base front,.

more and more futility, typically the HC becomes the fall guy in situations like this, new contract or not I think this could be Lafleurs last season, same with Barry.

once the media turns on a coach, they'll pick every thing he does apart, and that started weeks back but will intensify now, I can't believed he chose to school Wilde with this response, a child would know what he chose to explain about our edge rushers :thwap:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Nov 2023 23:36
Absolute respect for Jason Wilde putting pressure on the organization this season. One of the few media members not scared to lose his press pass and asking the real questions.

It’s something that’s been lost of the years by not only the media but the fan base who is somehow ok with just being ok. True respect.
Who does Wilde write for nowadays? He said something about having a field day with MLFs comments during the presser. I'd like to read what he puts out following that ridiculous exchange with MLF.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
15 Nov 2023 06:41
lupedafiasco wrote:

Who does Wilde write for nowadays? He said something about having a field day with MLFs comments during the presser. I'd like to read what he puts out following that ridiculous exchange with MLF.
ESPN and Athletic last I new, unless he changed, he does a podcast with Tausher as well or use to, always felt Wilde was McGinn type writer, pull no punches, just the facts jack, can just imagine he had some laughs with Lafleur's response.

love the comments, to Wilde and Jen, Gabe and Chewy, we don't care what ya call them edgers, but if your going to call them DE's when in nickel, then they need to be lined up in camera view, and not lined up out of it in wide 9 gap :rotf:

heres his podcast link.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/j ... 1550407062
Last edited by Yoop on 15 Nov 2023 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
15 Nov 2023 06:52
APB wrote:
15 Nov 2023 06:41
lupedafiasco wrote:

ESPN and Athletic last I new, unless he changed, he does a podcast with Tausher as well or use to, always felt Wilde was McGinn type writer, pull no punches, just the facts jack, can just imagine he had some laughs with Lafleur's response.

heres his podcast link.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/j ... 1550407062
I don't think he ever got on The Athletic. I have a subscription to that and don't recall seeing him as a contributor. And I just as soon avoid ESPN. :lol:

Thanks for the link, though. :aok: