Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Nov 2023 08:36
this is only a conversation in packers circles. rest of the world fully understand aaron rodgers is better than jordan love, and thats not really even a diss on Jordan Love.
No kidding. Rodgers is a generational talent who may go down as the finest QB talent wise to ever wear green and gold and is a sure fire first ballot HOFer. Anyone who is trying to hold Love up to those standards is doing a major disservice to JL. I doubt Love will ever have the individual success Rodgers' enjoyed in his career but that doesn't mean Love is a bust. Teams have had success with other QBs just as talented as Love is. Decent starting QBs need a good team around them to win consistently. This is what we are trying to determine now - does Love have the talent to lead the team to success or not if we surround him with a good roster. IMO the jury is still out.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
14 Nov 2023 12:30
All this could have been avoided if Gutey had just done his freakin' job and traded Rodgers to the Broncos in 2022!!!
Then Gutey would have been the very first GM to ever trade away the reigning MVP in league history.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pugger wrote:
14 Nov 2023 14:10
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
All this could have been avoided if Gutey had just done his freakin' job and traded Rodgers to the Broncos in 2022!!!
Then Gutey would have been the very first GM to ever trade away the reigning MVP in league history.
Yes, and then Green Bay would already have 2 more 1st round draft picks on the roster. And Love would be in the middle of his 2nd year as a starter. And the salary cap situation would be better, perhaps good enough that the Packers could have signed a significant Free Agent last spring.

But then the Packers would not have made the playoffs last season ----- oh wait.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Nov 2023 10:55
CJ Stroud is out here throwing to absolute bums. No real #1 WR. His offensive line isn’t that great. He’s leading that team because he’s a good QB.
You bringing up Stroud in an attempt to disparage Love is about as relevant as me bringing up Bryce Young to pump him up. Both arguments are just plain idiotic.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
14 Nov 2023 19:38
lupedafiasco wrote:
CJ Stroud is out here throwing to absolute bums. No real #1 WR. His offensive line isn’t that great. He’s leading that team because he’s a good QB.
You bringing up Stroud in an attempt to disparage Love is about as relevant as me bringing up Bryce Young to pump him up. Both arguments are just plain idiotic.
How would bringing up Bryce Young hype him up? Bryce has the excuse of being a rookie and in a significantly worse team.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheSkeptic wrote:
14 Nov 2023 14:22
Pugger wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Yes, and then Green Bay would already have 2 more 1st round draft picks on the roster. And Love would be in the middle of his 2nd year as a starter. And the salary cap situation would be better, perhaps good enough that the Packers could have signed a significant Free Agent last spring.

But then the Packers would not have made the playoffs last season ----- oh wait.
You are looking at this with 20/20 hindsight. After back to back MVPs I seriously doubt Gute and company thought Rodgers would have the season he did in 2022 and this was probably why he wasn't traded to Denver. Unfortunately things didn't work out so he was traded after the 2022 season instead. To make matters worse AR had a season ending injury in the first series of the first game so we lost out on NY's pick.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Nov 2023 23:47
APB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
How would bringing up Bryce Young hype him up? Bryce has the excuse of being a rookie and in a significantly worse team.
:aok:

Thanks for illustrating the point.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
You mean that team that’s 5-4 and would currently make the playoffs? Oh and has Tank Dell?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Acrobat wrote:
15 Nov 2023 06:56
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:

You mean that team that’s 5-4 and would currently make the playoffs? Oh and has Tank Dell?
You're soon to read a response about how they're 5-4 solely based on the awesomeness of CJ Stroud with no supporting cast or competent coaching staff.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Not only is Stroud a better QB currently, he was a better college football player, and a better draft prospect.

no one in the first round that needed a QB wanted Love.

That said, i am not declaring Love a bust yet.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pugger wrote:
14 Nov 2023 23:54
TheSkeptic wrote:
Pugger wrote:

You are looking at this with 20/20 hindsight. After back to back MVPs I seriously doubt Gute and company thought Rodgers would have the season he did in 2022 and this was probably why he wasn't traded to Denver. Unfortunately things didn't work out so he was traded after the 2022 season instead. To make matters worse AR had a season ending injury in the first series of the first game so we lost out on NY's pick.
No, not hindsight. As I said after the 2021 playoff loss, they had a window set up and they blew it. 2022 was outside that window, so it was the perfect time to trade Rodgers. If I, a well-known idiot, could see it, what's Gutey's excuse?
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I know he isn’t the winner that Kenny Pickett is, but it’s been obvious to me Love has been looking much better the past month or so.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
15 Nov 2023 12:29
Pugger wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

No, not hindsight. As I said after the 2021 playoff loss, they had a window set up and they blew it. 2022 was outside that window, so it was the perfect time to trade Rodgers. If I, a well-known idiot, could see it, what's Gutey's excuse?
:lol:

Perhaps it is I who is the well-known idiot because I didn't see it. :oops:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
15 Nov 2023 12:36
I know he isn’t the winner that Kenny Pickett is, but it’s been obvious to me Love has been looking much better the past month or so.

This is promising. Let's hope his development continues in the coming weeks.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pugger wrote:
15 Nov 2023 12:42
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Pugger wrote:

:lol:

Perhaps it is I who is the well-known idiot because I didn't see it. :oops:
No, your forum reputation is unassailable!
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
That was my feeling following the loss as well, but more-or-less talked myself into chasing another playoff push with Rodgers.

Nope, I was right the first time, and I think a lot of my vitriol towards Rodgers last season (which for the record I still stand behind) was the realization and bitter regret that we made the wrong move, made worse by the fact another team pursued the opposite course to great success (Seattle).

'Would sure be nice if Love had a year of playing experience under his belt right now **plus** two more first-round talents. :(
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
15 Nov 2023 13:25
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
That was my feeling following the loss as well, but more-or-less talked myself into chasing another playoff push with Rodgers.

Nope, I was right the first time, and I think a lot of my vitriol towards Rodgers last season (which for the record I still stand behind) was the realization and bitter regret that we made the wrong move, made worse by the fact another team pursued the opposite course to great success (Seattle).

'Would sure be nice if Love had a year of playing experience under his belt right now **plus** two more first-round talents. :(
Yeah I just got so angry during last year's Jets game because that was when the realizatin set it in that we should have done what we wanted (get a load of picks from Denver) but instead have to live with below average play and a sinking ship with no real hope for the future until 2023 and no real hope for playoff wins until 2024 at the earliest.

Even this year with our losing has been more fun for me than last year was.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
15 Nov 2023 13:25
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

what went wrong with the plan for 22? was it keeping Rodger, or not replacing Adams , MVS, Lazard sooner, and going into the season not only minus the first two, but with a obviously #3 Lazard and a bunch of Rookies and Watkins, couple that with inconsistent pass pro to start the season, and the plan was exposed as inadequate.

no GM in the league would have peddled Rodgers, specially when the GM thought he could also retain Adams, last year was the end of the window, no one thought 2021 was, the plan simply fell apart.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
15 Nov 2023 13:51
no GM in the league would have peddled Rodgers, specially when the GM thought he could also retain Adams, last year was the end of the window, no one thought 2021 was, the plan simply fell apart.
But once it was apparent that he was wrong about keeping Adams, there was still time to deal Rodgers, and an interested party (DEN).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto