Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2023 11:28
because Adams isn't enough, and never was when we get to the best defenses in the league, your better off have2 or 3 or even 4 that are not quite Adams good then just Adams and a bunch of jags.
Guess what? That's true of the Chiefs too. All the guys they have are Jags. And you are defending it with some Participation Trophy nonsense because they drafted Moore (in the same draft we moved up and drafted Watson even higher) and traded for draft bust Toney, who is even less productive at WR than EQ St. Brown, who you arbitrarily dismiss as not getting help for a QB because he was a Day 3 pick.

If they subscribed to your logic about WRs, they never would have traded Hill away. That is your ideal, two elite receiving targets for an elite QB. Yet they did, because they couldn't afford him after keeping him after they paid Mahomes top dollar.

we went from drafting Adams round 2, 014 to Watson in the 22 draft without a 2nd round pick at WR, and jags and misses after that, if thats not QB abuse I don't know what is, quit defending our GM's
Yet you are now defending the exact same thing by KC's GM and pretending its different, because you know you would sound silly if you called their GM bad.

So I ask again, why are you defending the GM wasting a HOF QB's prime?? It is MADNESS to do so!!!!
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

wallyuwl wrote:
21 Nov 2023 09:47
MY_TAKE wrote:
21 Nov 2023 09:42

The MVS play was predictable. I felt bad for him honestly, but that is who he is. This may not be a popular take but I kind of feel Christian Watson is MVS limited edition. He has more bells and whistles and looks really nice with running boards and fog lights but in the end, the vehicle/ player is flawed and leave you stranded on the highway calling AAA.
I like it!
I'm not ready to write off Watson so quickly. Definitely might be the correct take, but the stretch last year showed the capability to be an alpha, I think he is thinking too much and not playing as fast as he did last year. Certainly possible that they are adding more to his plate. I'm not writing off a 2nd year receiver that quickly. I'd like to see them running him more on deep crossing routes to let his speed get him some separation.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2023 10:09
Drj820 wrote:
21 Nov 2023 09:53
That was the MVS special.

Mahomes looks limited this year because hes been dealing with what Rodgers dealt with last 5 years.
I said basically the same thing, but whats the use, this room defends not getting Rodgers better talent, so I deleted my post, that throw to MVS was 60 yrds air, spot on, thats what a strong arm looks like.
Turns out when you have a QB making that kind of money it's exponentially harder to surround him with high end skill position players?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

MY_TAKE wrote:
The Chiefs have surprisingly been very challenged offensively this year. Especially in the 2nd half. (just seen a stat on ESPN) I still think Mahomes is probably the best QB in the league but clearly he is fallible. His supporting cast let him down in the clutch.

The MVS play was predictable. I felt bad for him honestly, but that is who he is. This may not be a popular take but I kind of feel Christian Watson is MVS limited edition. He has more bells and whistles and looks really nice with running boards and fog lights but in the end, the vehicle/ player is flawed and leave you stranded on the highway calling AAA.
I will say for all of Watson's faults, he draws a crazy amount of attention from defenses
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Madcity_matt wrote:
21 Nov 2023 11:52
wallyuwl wrote:
MY_TAKE wrote:

I like it!
I'm not ready to write off Watson so quickly. Definitely might be the correct take, but the stretch last year showed the capability to be an alpha, I think he is thinking too much and not playing as fast as he did last year. Certainly possible that they are adding more to his plate. I'm not writing off a 2nd year receiver that quickly. I'd like to see them running him more on deep crossing routes to let his speed get him some separation.
Co-sign. Watson is in a slump but I believe in him.

Coaches do not do much skill coaching anymore, the vast majority of time each week is devoted to game-planning, so the real skill coaching comes off-the-field with personal coaches. Watson needs to put in the work off-field. There are no knocks on his work ethic, he is generally said to be a hard worker. And his QB will work with him during the offseason. I am optimistic that he gets it figured out.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
21 Nov 2023 11:53
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Mahomes looks limited this year because hes been dealing with what Rodgers dealt with last 5 years.
I said basically the same thing, but whats the use, this room defends not getting Rodgers better talent, so I deleted my post
Turns out when you have a QB making that kind of money it's exponentially harder to surround him with high end skill position players?
sure but team do it every season, look at Cinnci, Burrows is the highest paid QB in the league with Higgens, Chase, Boyd and Jones.

the Ravens, noted for defensive prominence, Lamar makes 50 mi. still they have Beckham Bateman and Flowers, teams with expensive QB's provide skill position talent for those expensive QB's because it offers the best chance for victory

Philly Eagles, Hurts makes 51 mil. the eagles give him AJ Brown, Devonta Smith, Julio Jones,

and there are other teams with expensive QB's that may not also have a bunch of expensive receivers, but they use high picks for receiving talent, for years with us it was mid round very raw talent.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
21 Nov 2023 12:20
Madcity_matt wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

I like it!

Coaches do not do much skill coaching anymore, the vast majority of time each week is devoted to game-planning, so the real skill coaching comes off-the-field with personal coaches. Watson needs to put in the work off-field. There are no knocks on his work ethic, he is generally said to be a hard worker. And his QB will work with him during the offseason. I am optimistic that he gets it figured out.
who told you this? the insurance would never allow that, maybe off season some of that happens, but during the season the players are under the care of the GB Packers and there insurance carrier, Labrev we don't pay position coaches not to teach tech stuff, true each week a game plan is submitted, players work on those plays, an assistants grade and teach technique

when that stuff about Love and his personal trainer stuff hit the media, I never bought a word of that, why would Lafleur or Clements allow that guy even in the building?

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2023 12:37
Madcity_matt wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I said basically the same thing, but whats the use, this room defends not getting Rodgers better talent, so I deleted my post
sure but team do it every season, look at Cinnci, Burrows is the highest paid QB in the league with Higgens, Chase, Boyd and Jones.

the Ravens, noted for defensive prominence, Lamar makes 50 mi. still they have Beckham Bateman and Flowers, teams with expensive QB's provide skill position talent for those expensive QB's because it offers the best chance for victory

Philly Eagles, Hurts makes 51 mil. the eagles give him AJ Brown, Devonta Smith, Julio Jones,

and there are other teams with expensive QB's that may not also have a bunch of expensive receivers, but they use high picks for receiving talent, for years with us it was mid round very raw talent.
None of those teams you mentioned have won a Super Bowl recently. The Packers with Adams, Lazard, MVS, etc.. were in just as good of position as those teams. They just lost an important game that would have sent them to the Super Bowl. There's no right or wrong way to build your team, but the Packers were built well enough to win the Super Bowl in 2020 and 2021, but failed to put together a great team effort when it mattered most and multiple coaches and players are to blame for both games.

Any other extreme position is ignoring several factors that led to that result.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2023 12:37
Madcity_matt wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Not so fast. you're using average yearly salary as your guide? Both examples you gave are guys that just signed extensions. Of course that's not at all how the cap works using their average. here's some real numbers for you:
Lamar 2023 cap hit 22 mil
Burrow 2023 cap hit 19.5 mil

All bills come due. Mahomes counts 38 mil against the cap this year. Rodgers still counts 40 this year and was around 50 last year.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

You're also using the example of QBs that *just* got signed to megadeals, not teams that are a few years into such contracts. The roster talent erosion is not usually that immediate.

Come back to me once the team has actually had to fork over a large chunk of the actual money owed. Many are already counting Tee Higgins out of the mix at WR for Cincy as a direct consequence of the deal they just gave to Burrow.

Why are they wasting Burrow's prime?!? :x :evil:

**edit** Matt just said all this haha
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2023 12:49
Labrev wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:

who told you this?
Kyle Shanahan purportedly said that when asked about Brock Purdy's personal trainer/QB coach.
Shanny wrote:“Oh I understand, I don’t think you understand. Coaches in this building don’t talk mechanics. We’re preparing for a game plan. That’s what you do during the season. Getting ready for the offense we’re running. It’s about football and preparing for the game.”
https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/kyle-sh ... purdy.html
Last edited by Labrev on 21 Nov 2023 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Also Burrow just inked that contract 2.5 months ago.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
21 Nov 2023 13:04
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:

who told you this?
Kyle Shanahan purportedly said that when asked about Brock Purdy's personal trainer/QB coach.
Shanny wrote:“Oh I understand, I don’t think you understand. Coaches in this building don’t talk mechanics. We’re preparing for a game plan. That’s what you do during the season. Getting ready for the offense we’re running. It’s about football and preparing for the game.”
then I expect one way or the other that that trainers is on some sort of contract with the team

and the point is that teams with expensive QB's don't shy away from bringing in good skill position talent, Lupe just showed what the last 3 SB winners did, each brought in a skill position player to further there chances of winning.

people that defend what went o n here between drafting Adams and Watson do so to defend that insanity, there isn't a sports person alive that would
and those where the first 3 or 4 teams I even looked into, this talk that teams can't afford skill position talent with a expensive QB is not exactly true, they can except all there resources go elsewhere, was our defense worth it, hell no,

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Labrev wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

I like it!

I hope you guys are right. I think there are things he can do and things he can't. Just pure speculation, but that TD to Doubs last Sunday is a play I don't think Watson makes. Doubs slows a bit and snatches the ball with his hands and then quickly moves caught ball forward out of the way as so the defender can't knock it out of his hands. Thats ball skills. Doubs has them and Watson doesn't. Just my take but maybe I am wrong. I think they need to have him play to his strengths to improve his chances of making plays.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The best hope for watson is he becomes an MVS with actual hands. Maybe a Djax. I mean have we ever seen evidence that he can catch passes from multiple routes in a typical NFL route tree?
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2023 13:14
Labrev wrote:
21 Nov 2023 13:04
Yoop wrote:

who told you this?
then I expect one way or the other that that trainers is on some sort of contract with the team

and the point is that teams with expensive QB's don't shy away from bringing in good skill position talent, Lupe just showed what the last 3 SB winners did, each brought in a skill position player to further there chances of winning.

people that defend what went o n here between drafting Adams and Watson do so to defend that insanity, there isn't a sports person alive that would
and those where the first 3 or 4 teams I even looked into, this talk that teams can't afford skill position talent with a expensive QB is not exactly true, they can except all there resources go elsewhere, was our defense worth it, hell no,
So we just gonna ignore paying Jimmy Graham and pretend we never went after large targets?

Just because it didn't work doesn't mean there wasn't effort which is what you are pushing. Tonyan was slated to be the next high paid guy until his injury in 2021.

There is always lots to the story.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Nov 2023 13:24
The best hope for watson is he becomes an MVS with actual hands. Maybe a Djax. I mean have we ever seen evidence that he can catch passes from multiple routes in a typical NFL route tree?
You can live with a dynamic WR who can only do crossers, go routes, end arounds and posts.

He just can't be your primary.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Here are just the TDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YSseoF92YY

The receiving TDs:
1- Go
2 - Slant & Post
3 - Drag
4 - Off schedule, but essentially becomes a back corner fade
5 - Drag
6 - Slant
7 - Off schedule, but essentially becomes a deep hook
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Madcity_matt wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I said basically the same thing, but whats the use, this room defends not getting Rodgers better talent, so I deleted my post, that throw to MVS was 60 yrds air, spot on, thats what a strong arm looks like.
This is BS. Its completely possible to surround a QB with talent even with a top of market deal. We literally did it with Rodgers when he was throwing to Nelson, Cobb, and Adams. We invested in the position. Peyton Manning routinely had the WR invested in even when he went to the Broncos. Right now Lamar Jackson on average is making $52M a year and they just brought in OBJ and drafted Zay Flowers on top of having Mark Andrews and spent a first a few years ago on WR as well. Joe Burrow is the highest paid QB in the league and has Chase, Higgins, and Boyd with Joe Mixon at RB. Justin Herbert is the second highest paid QB with Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Austin Ekler, and went and spent a 1st on Johnston. Russell Wilson is 5th on the pay scale and has Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy, and Tim Patrick. Josh Allen is 9th on the pay scale and he already had Diggs, Gabe Davis, Dawson Knox and they drafted Kincaid in the first. Dak Prescott is 11th and with Ceedee Lamb and Michael Gallup and they bring in Bradin Cooks.

This is debunked.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Nov 2023 13:05
Also Burrow just inked that contract 2.5 months ago.
whatever, 10 QB's make over 40, 5 at or near 50, 20 make over 30, while it's true expensive player limit resources, those teams with expensive QB's find a way to add skill position talent the same way we resigned Rodgers, or that we would have paid Adams.

It's always amounted around here as a excuse, it's like Guty not having a trade partner to move up for a receiver, just a convenient excuse to do something else, like draft a replacement QB 2 years early