Papa's Disruption Theory: Give the Backups a Chance

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Papa John
Reactions:

Papa's Disruption Theory: Give the Backups a Chance

Post by Papa John »

In light of this great win, I find myself asking the question- if we can be that much better with so many valuable starters out, why not give the backups a chance more often, especially in a season like this one has been? You put guys like Owens and McDuffie out there who have nothing to lose and are trying to make names for themselves, and magic can happen. We have seen similar situations in 2010, and I know there have been other examples.

I don't care if they are vets- when the starters begin to reek of the stagnant stench of complacency, I say we give the young bucks their chance to shine. History has shown that in many instances they will step up to the plate and take advantage of the opportunity. Simultaneously, the complacent starters who have been benched will get a fire lit under their ass. I call this disruption theory. Let's not wait for injuries to occur for this to happen. Let's start proactively benching guys who come out and arm tackle, playing half assed. Make everyone prove that they're worthy of their position on every play and in every game.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I was sorta thinking about that. Like... maybe these guys shouldn't all be backups.

But when I think about it, we won by the strength of our good players more so than by heroics or surprising play by the reserves, with the exception of Owens.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Gotta give props to whoever was blocking Hunchinson, guy was invisible today.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Papa John wrote:
23 Nov 2023 14:58
In light of this great win, I find myself asking the question- if we can be that much better with so many valuable starters out, why not give the backups a chance more often, especially in a season like this one has been? You put guys like Owens and McDuffie out there who have nothing to lose and are trying to make names for themselves, and magic can happen. We have seen similar situations in 2010, and I know there have been other examples.

I don't care if they are vets- when the starters begin to reek of the stagnant stench of complacency, I say we give the young bucks their chance to shine. History has shown that in many instances they will step up to the plate and take advantage of the opportunity. Simultaneously, the complacent starters who have been benched will get a fire lit under their ass. I call this disruption theory. Let's not wait for injuries to occur for this to happen. Let's start proactively benching guys who come out and arm tackle, playing half assed. Make everyone prove that they're worthy of their position on every play and in every game.
Funny thing is, this sort of thing has happened before. It does make you wonder sometimes. The packers went through a stretch where they were so bad in everysingle facet of the game they were unwatchable except for us diehard fans. Now, they look like a playoff caliber team. :banana:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I agree. I feel like the vets weirdly haven't been appreciably more reliable/mistake-free in their play than the young guns, and that maybe we should just bet on the talent, especially after beating a good Lions team with many of them sidelined. Some vets like Jaire should obviously stay starters but I think we should embrace shaking things up more.

I saw Rhyan out there at RG, then Runyan, then I think k Rhyan again. Kinda weird to platoon RG but I'm glad they are flirting with the idea of making a switch there.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't think Sean Rhyan got any snaps today did he?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

He did!

—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah keep playing Rhyan. At this point we just need to know. It would be huge if we can cross off RG on the "needs" list.

I would be okay with LT and a day 3 center and guards for competition.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

when ya scheme up for your best players to create mis matches they often do, when your DT's are so disruptive as Clark was it frees up others to have 1 on 1 blocking, and Gary and the rest took advantage of that, they gave Goff very little time to get rid of the ball, which obviously helps the secondary, more of this heavier fronts has been long over do.

Love is handling pass rush far better then just a few weeks back, and pass pro has been more consistent, even run blocking has improved, and Dillon looks so much better then he did earlier, running with power and more speed.

fun to watch a great passing performance, Love was red hot, with some really great accuracy, receivers ran some great routes and we only had several dropped balls, the chemistry between Love and his receivers looks better each week.

win or lose, just keep playing like this and I'am happy., just a great team building win.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Exciting to see Rhyan show something.

That and a surplus of high picks making it a bit of a no brainer to not resign JRJ right now.

Although he has been better last few weeks, along with Myers, much better communication and passing stunts and what not.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

More of him too please:

—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I kind of don't want Darnell Savage to come back.
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
24 Nov 2023 08:54
This season, next season or neither? He is a UFA

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

go pak go wrote:
Agreed, Savage had plenty of opportunities to shine. He is not gettng better in year 6 and he is not cheap.

Johnson Jr. over Savage at Safety.

Valentine (low-key been balling out) over whomever at boundary CB.

McDuffie over Campbell? Don't know about this one but Campbell has been meh since he signed his new deal and is not young or cheap.

And I don't believe in going young for young's sake, because Preston Smith has been playing so well I am not clamoring for more snaps fo LVN instead of Preston.

On Offense, Walker has been decent in his weird LT rotation with Yosh the past couple of weeks and as others have said Rhyan over Runyan seems logical.

Don't care if he gets healthy, Degaura's snaps should to Kraft, Sims, and Pearson.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Nov 2023 14:49
go pak go wrote:
This season, next season or neither? He is a UFA
Primarily this season. I want to see what we have in Johnson Jr
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

LombardiTime wrote:
24 Nov 2023 15:04
go pak go wrote:
Agreed, Savage had plenty of opportunities to shine. He is not gettng better in year 6 and he is not cheap.

Johnson Jr. over Savage at Safety.

Valentine (low-key been balling out) over whomever at boundary CB.

McDuffie over Campbell? Don't know about this one but Campbell has been meh since he signed his new deal and is not young or cheap.

And I don't believe in going young for young's sake, because Preston Smith has been playing so well I am not clamoring for more snaps fo LVN instead of Preston.

On Offense, Walker has been decent in his weird LT rotation with Yosh the past couple of weeks and as others have said Rhyan over Runyan seems logical.

Don't care if he gets healthy, Degaura's snaps should to Kraft, Sims, and Pearson.
Campbell meh? Or injured too often?