2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

We have 5 picks in the first two days.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if we take 2 Olinemen in the first two days. We need run blockers. RJR, Myers and a tackle. I'm the opposite of Yoho. Keep Tom at RT. He is great at RT. RT's also face the best pass rushers. Keep Tom at RT.

Draft your LT and play Bakh for a year before handing over the reigns unless someone *Jets* offers some sweet coin for Bakh.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

IMO, take what you can get and move on from Golf Cart Dave. I was big for a while on the idea of Tom being LT after Bakh, but I have been persuaded that we should leave him at RT than try to tinker with a good thing. I'm fine with Jenkins at LG. Myers probably gets another season. I want to see Rhyan play to confirm if RG is a need or not; I will assume it is a need if I don't see him.

Walker had a nice game last Sunday. He had a rough start but I wouldn't count him out, lots of young OTs struggle in their first season. I also think we are playing our way out of Olu or Alt range, after which point, I am not sure there is a slam-dunk LT prospect that I would draft even if Walker plays well.

So RG and LT are the main needs IMO, and even those could cease to be Day 1-2 needs.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

go pak go wrote:
24 Nov 2023 22:24

I wouldn't be shocked at all if we take 2 Olinemen in the first two days. We need run blockers. RJR, Myers and a tackle. I'm the opposite of Yoho. Keep Tom at RT. He is great at RT. RT's also face the best pass rushers. Keep Tom at RT.

Draft your LT and play Bakh for a year before handing over the reigns unless someone *Jets* offers some sweet coin for Bakh.
Definitely would be nice to improve upon the O-line. I would say thats high priority.

The Packers need an infusion of RB talent also. I don't watch enough CFB to have any good opinions on this, but unfortunately A. Jones has been often injured this year and his best days are behind him RB/AGE wise.

Other than QB ( unless you decide you need one) I am a best player available kind of a guy in rounds one and two regardless of position. Thats just me though and my ideas.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
25 Nov 2023 00:34
IMO, take what you can get and move on from Golf Cart Dave. I was big for a while on the idea of Tom being LT after Bakh, but I have been persuaded that we should leave him at RT than try to tinker with a good thing. I'm fine with Jenkins at LG. Myers probably gets another season. I want to see Rhyan play to confirm if RG is a need or not; I will assume it is a need if I don't see him.

Walker had a nice game last Sunday. He had a rough start but I wouldn't count him out, lots of young OTs struggle in their first season. I also think we are playing our way out of Olu or Alt range, after which point, I am not sure there is a slam-dunk LT prospect that I would draft even if Walker plays well.

So RG and LT are the main needs IMO, and even those could cease to be Day 1-2 needs.
I agree with this. The Packers may not need any particular position and could be drafting BPA in both the entire draft. The only positions that probably would be a waste would be QB and kicking. Yosh and JRJ are UFA's and probably won't return so backup Olinemen will still be needed, and we don't know what we have at Safety yet (Savage is an UFA also). Campbell needs to be replaced in a year or 3. Right now I would only have Dillon as a priority resign and only be looking for another RB in the first 3 rounds.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

This is a great draft for OTs. We need OLine help. I was hoping for one of the top guys, but doing better is costing us draft position. I might try and trade up to get an elite talent, but Gute did so well last season, I think he can find something really good later in the first or in the 2nd.

Of the first 3 picks, I would go OL, OL, and RB. I would keep the option open for a Safety as well.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm not a "draft by position guy" but we have 5 picks in the first 2 days. As a rule I would lean towards the following based on our roster

Rd 1 - Tackle
Rd 2 (a) - RB/true Nickle Corner/Safety/ILB
Rd 2 (b) - RB/true Nickle Corner/Safety/ILB
Rd 3 (a) - Interior OL
Rd 3 (b) - whatever we didn't get in Rd 2
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

unless ya have a top 7 or 8 slot, or whatever is considered top tier players per certain year, then thats how drafts work, GM's have to position draft, obviously trading forward or back to line up draft value, how else can they draft, we needed receiver help, Guty drafted receiver help, ya need a pass rush, then ya take that position.

BPA went out the window back in the 90's, it was another of Ron Wolfs complaints with UFA, it's a luxury to be able to BPA, and rare that your team is so solid that you can just hold fast to that

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Yoop wrote:
25 Nov 2023 08:59
unless ya have a top 7 or 8 slot, or whatever is considered top tier players per certain year, then thats how drafts work, GM's have to position draft, obviously trading forward or back to line up draft value, how else can they draft, we needed receiver help, Guty drafted receiver help, ya need a pass rush, then ya take that position.

BPA went out the window back in the 90's, it was another of Ron Wolfs complaints with UFA, it's a luxury to be able to BPA, and rare that your team is so solid that you can just hold fast to that
Unless you are picking high in the draft, there is rarely a single BPA. If we are drafting in the middle of the first there will likely be 3 or 4 players graded the same. By the second round there could be twice as many. Sometimes a player slips and there is a clear cut BPA, but I think that is not common.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

AmishMafia wrote:
25 Nov 2023 09:08
Yoop wrote:
25 Nov 2023 08:59

Unless you are picking high in the draft, there is rarely a single BPA. If we are drafting in the middle of the first there will likely be 3 or 4 players graded the same. By the second round there could be twice as many. Sometimes a player slips and there is a clear cut BPA, but I think that is not common.
I think it is more common than you think for a staff of guys who do this 60 hours a week, year-round. I also think, WAY more than the media perception, our 25 first-round guys are not other teams first-round guys, so not uncommon to have a clear BPA on your board last until mid-Round 2 or even longer. To your point, I do believe the tiers get more even as you go and as such we have seen the Packers draft for need far more often in Round 2 and beyond than in Round 1.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I'm not gonna get into how we should draft but I will say how we do draft.

Our first picks are always premier positions/large bodies with elite athleticism.

QB, Tackle, Pass Rusher (interior/exterior), CB.

That's just how we draft in the first round. The only time I can think of that we deterred from that was Quay Walker
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I will say though. I think we need an elite slot corner. 2nd round is that perfect spot to get the draft's best slot corner. This is the year to get it. I want a slot corner. I don't think Nixon is our guy.
Yoop wrote:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

go pak go wrote:

Isn't his cap hit still $40+ million if they keep him?

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Half Empty wrote:
25 Nov 2023 10:13
go pak go wrote:

Yes, and we recoup roughly 20M if we cut him. I'm more than ready to move on, it would take a major change in health status for me to even consider otherwise.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

go pak go wrote:
25 Nov 2023 08:05
I'm not a "draft by position guy" but we have 5 picks in the first 2 days. As a rule I would lean towards the following based on our roster

Rd 1 - Tackle
Rd 2 (a) - RB/true Nickle Corner/Safety/ILB
Rd 2 (b) - RB/true Nickle Corner/Safety/ILB
Rd 3 (a) - Interior OL
Rd 3 (b) - whatever we didn't get in Rd 2
I would agree these are the positions we should try to get in the first 3 rounds, and likely the way the order has to fall. If the best Tackle available isn't worth the slot move back a bit. Would like to see a double tap in the 4-7 on S and RB (depending on what we do with Dillon/Jones in the offseason)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Madcity_matt wrote:
25 Nov 2023 10:21
Half Empty wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Yes, and we recoup roughly 20M if we cut him. I'm more than ready to move on, it would take a major change in health status for me to even consider otherwise.
At this point I'm rolling the dice. We have gotten nothing out of him. I would hate to cut him and the Jets sign him for cheap and he then balls in 2024.

He is a UFA in 2025. I lean towards keeping him in 2024 if they think he is healthy and then either play him and sign a cheap extension, get a comp pick, or trade him to a team who is desperate.

We have already eaten so much on him. What's another $20 million? Cutting him removes all options. Keeping him costs $20 million but gives us options.
Yoop wrote:

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

go pak go wrote:
25 Nov 2023 11:02
Madcity_matt wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

At this point I'm rolling the dice. We have gotten nothing out of him. I would hate to cut him and the Jets sign him for cheap and he then balls in 2024.

He is a UFA in 2025. I lean towards keeping him in 2024 if they think he is healthy and then either play him and sign a cheap extension, get a comp pick, or trade him to a team who is desperate.

We have already eaten so much on him. What's another $20 million? Cutting him removes all options. Keeping him costs $20 million but gives us options.
That was my thought for this year when I thought he could play. cutting him doubles our available cap money, I think i'd rather gamble on adding a few veteran pieces that are available on game day. If Bak is fully recovered and the coversations with the team indicate that he is good to go and excited to be back, I will as usual defer to the personnel department that knows way more than ony of us.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

go pak go wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

Certainly can't get more subjective than this sort of discussion. However, one of the first things I always ask myself is "if I read this about another team, how would I feel?" If I saw that the Bears had a 300+ pound player that has played 12, 1, 11, and 1 game in the last four years, will be 33 next year, has had four knee operations in the last three years, and would cost $40+ against the cap (1/3 more than the #2 guy in the league at his position), I'd be LMAO.

Then there's the "if they think he is healthy" aspect. Didn't they think he was healthy this year, starting the first game?

Not sure about all the rules and possibilities, but what would a "cheap extension" look like, and, more importantly, why would he do anything other than play out the one year @ $40 that he's guaranteed after the first game?

The comp pick is something, but (a) how much will he get from another team, given all the history and (b) is a potential late 3rd round pick worth hobbling the team's cap next year?

A trade is, again, something I don't know all the ins-and-outs about, but is anybody but the Jets going to looking to sign a guy who was a really, really great player prior to 2021 but has been a basket case ever since?

No way of determining the best way to handle this without 20/20 hindsight, so we'll just have to wait and see. Just wanted to get my rationale out there.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Half Empty wrote:
25 Nov 2023 11:44
go pak go wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:

Certainly can't get more subjective than this sort of discussion. However, one of the first things I always ask myself is "if I read this about another team, how would I feel?" If I saw that the Bears had a 300+ pound player that has played 12, 1, 11, and 1 game in the last four years, will be 33 next year, has had four knee operations in the last three years, and would cost $40+ against the cap (1/3 more than the #2 guy in the league at his position), I'd be LMAO.

Then there's the "if they think he is healthy" aspect. Didn't they think he was healthy this year, starting the first game?

Not sure about all the rules and possibilities, but what would a "cheap extension" look like, and, more importantly, why would he do anything other than play out the one year @ $40 that he's guaranteed after the first game?

The comp pick is something, but (a) how much will he get from another team, given all the history and (b) is a potential late 3rd round pick worth hobbling the team's cap next year?

A trade is, again, something I don't know all the ins-and-outs about, but is anybody but the Jets going to looking to sign a guy who was a really, really great player prior to 2021 but has been a basket case ever since?

No way of determining the best way to handle this without 20/20 hindsight, so we'll just have to wait and see. Just wanted to get my rationale out there.
Seems like there should be the potential for a conditional pick. A 6th round pick that could elevate all the way to a 2nd if he played 85% of snaps or a 3rd if he plays over 70%. We leak the offer to Rodgers who demands the Jets do the trade.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Half Empty wrote:
25 Nov 2023 11:44
go pak go wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:

It's truly the most unfortunate situation that has happened to GB in a long, long time - if ever. Worse than Cledius Hunt's deal over Holiday IMO.

Bakh had every reason to be signed a 3rd contract and I truly believe had the injury never occurred...we would have 2 rings. If his injury had a normal heal time....we would have 1 ring.

This guy was HOF bound had this not happened.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

no way I'am giving a 8 year vet a 3rd contract that makes him the richest LT in the league with a 65 mil guarantee, another situation where drafting defense supersedes common sense, to me it was to pacify Rodgers, the ol rule seems stringent, never give out 3rd contracts for big molla, another case where it comes back to bite ya, people act like LT's are QB's, they aint, and ya don't need the best in the league to do well :dunno: