2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

With yesterday's "leave them open and hope they drop it" pass defense leading to just 20 points for the Chargers and given some of the really bad offenses still to play, there is an excellent chance GB finishes in the top 10 in scoring defense in 2023.

That, coupled with MLF's impassioned defense of Barry this past week, leads me to conclude Joe B will be back in 2024.

And that would be a shame.

While I see real reason for optimism with the young talent on offense, I do not get the same feeling on defense and I attribute that to the coaching and scheme.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

We are not alone, Packers fans...

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
20 Nov 2023 17:36
We are not alone, Packers fans...

This is part of why they are 28th or whatever in defense.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I feel like I saw the vision on defense and of MLF's "complimentary football" yesterday.

We get out to a big, fast lead, make the other team abandon the run and become one-dimensional, then have guys like Gary, Clark, Wyatt, Brooks, Enagbare, Wooden all pin their ears back and get after the QB, overwhelm with our pass-rush, force them off the field and/or turnovers... that's ball game.

I hate to be a downer, but as good as it looked when realized, I question if it's a sustainable model. I believe in Love, but I think we are asking a lot of an offense run by a first-year starter at QB to consistently come out hot out of the gate. And it is not enough to just have the lead, it has to be a big lead, because if the Lions just needed a TD to win at the end, this D would have failed to stop it.

In fairness, we had a skeleton crew in the secondary, but still, if the idea is that the pass-rush will just overwhelm to create turnovers and shut down the opposing offense, that didn't exactly happen. And not all QBs are as bad against pressure as Goff.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
24 Nov 2023 10:05
I feel like I saw the vision on defense and of MLF's "complimentary football" yesterday.

We get out to a big, fast lead, make the other team abandon the run and become one-dimensional, then have guys like Gary, Clark, Wyatt, Brooks, Enagbare, Wooden all pin their ears back and get after the QB, overwhelm with our pass-rush, force them off the field and/or turnovers... that's ball game.

I hate to be a downer, but as good as it looked when realized, I question if it's a sustainable model. I believe in Love, but I think we are asking a lot of an offense run by a first-year starter at QB to consistently come out hot out of the gate. And it is not enough to just have the lead, it has to be a big lead, because if the Lions just needed a TD to win at the end, this D would have failed to stop it.

In fairness, we had a skeleton crew in the secondary, but still, if the idea is that the pass-rush will just overwhelm to create turnovers and shut down the opposing offense, that didn't exactly happen. And not all QBs are as bad against pressure as Goff.
the difference was 3 DT's, 2 DE/OLB, and either bring all 5 or dropping one, that heavier front was not only getting pressure, but also closing run lanes, we should have been doing this all year, all last year, and for the 10 years prior to boot.

let our CB's play man coverage, less missed assignments, obviously that wont hold up with these young CB's and safety's minus quality pass rush, but that was a good offense those schemes shut down yesterday, the proof as they say is the taste test, and that tasted sweet yesterday.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
24 Nov 2023 10:17
Labrev wrote:
24 Nov 2023 10:05

the difference was 3 DT's, 2 DE/OLB, and either bring all 5 or dropping one, that heavier front was not only getting pressure, but also closing run lanes, we should have been doing this all year, all last year, and for the 10 years prior to boot.

let our CB's play man coverage, less missed assignments, obviously that wont hold up with these young CB's and safety's minus quality pass rush, but that was a good offense those schemes shut down yesterday, the proof as they say is the taste test, and that tasted sweet yesterday.
Yoop, that could perhaps be your most insightful comment in the past five years. I concur! When JoeB lets his dogs run, they usually do good things. And with a dinged up secondary, we really need that front to do good things. So why not motivate them to penetrate and make good stuff happen?

We see a real trend in our defense either way. It sucks the first half of the season and then increases intensity after October. I don't like that level of performance one bit. But now that we are in the end of November and possibly in the hunt for a playoff spot, I'm settling for being thankful that it looks like our D is playing up to or beyond acceptable levels.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Tough to ask of a first year starter, but I consider this entire season a freeroll. More realistic for next year though. this offense has some electric in it already, just needs more consistency.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
24 Nov 2023 10:17
the difference was 3 DT's, 2 DE/OLB, and either bring all 5 or dropping one, that heavier front was not only getting pressure, but also closing run lanes,
I did not see them closing running lanes. Montgomery looked like he was getting close to 5 yards on every run. And upon looking it up, yes, Montgomery was running at a 4.7 ypc, Gibbs 4.9. We actually did a better job against him when they blew us out, when his ypc then was sub-4.0.

They just could not stick with the run because they felt the need to play catch-up (IMO they would have been better off being patient and running the ball, seeing as Goff is bad when he's pressured and they couldn't stop us from getting in his face).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I thought the difference in the run game was the players getting off blocks. People have bitched about Barry, and I’m not a fan either but players need to get off blocks and win their matchups.

I felt the LBs in particular who have been terrible this season getting downfield and beating their blocks were terrific Thursday.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If your run defense depends on a defender getting off a block and making a play instead of scheming a one on one with the ball carrier, you are doing it wrong.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Never would have expected Valentine to perform this well. Still not sure I trust him completely - Mahomes and Co. should provide a good test - but damn he's been a pleasant surprise thus far.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Got bailed out a couple times. Especially vs the Chargers. Should have had a game winner against Valentine.

But thought he played St Brown pretty well. I was really hoping he could have found a way to rip that ball away from St Brown on that 50/50 ball.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Nov 2023 19:01
If your run defense depends on a defender getting off a block and making a play instead of scheming a one on one with the ball carrier, you are doing it wrong.
there isn't a dc in this league that would agree with that statement

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:02
Pckfn23 wrote:
I see you are in argue mode yet again, so I will let you believe your incorrect assumption.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:05
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
I see you are in argue mode yet again, so I will let you believe your incorrect assumption.
it's not incorrect, and disagreeing with you or anyone isn't me in argue mode, quit making stupid statements and I wont call them out,
that you think 20 fronts and 2 gapping is wrong, or playing nickel when there is no way to man up every gap, is just your opinion, maybe state it as such next time.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

it's not incorrect, and disagreeing with you or anyone isn't me in argue mode, quit making stupid statements and I wont call them out,
that you think 20 fronts and 2 gapping is wrong, or playing nickel when there is no way to man up every gap, is just your opinion, maybe state it as such next time.
I didn't say any of those things. FFS you are insufferable. Read what people write and respond to that... :roll:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I never said anything about the scheme depending on getting off blocks. I just stated the defenders were doing a better job of doing it and lowing up plays.

L post by the b-boy.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:17
Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:12
Pckfn23 wrote:

I didn't say any of those things. FFS you are insufferable. Read what people write and respond to that... :roll:
alright, how is a DC going to know a run play is coming, thats why I said NO DC is going to agree with such a generic statement, unless it's a obvious run down he wouldn't know, and even if he did he might not be able to sub in a base front.

my reading issues aside, the way you and others word stuff is confusing.