2023 MVP Race

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

2023 MVP Race

Post by APB »

Kind of an odd year as far as the NFL MVP race is concerned. There are no real clear cut favorites as no one player is having a breakout type season. That, and injuries have taken their toll on many elite players seasons and relegated stars such as Joe Burrow, Aaron Rodgers, and J’Marr Chase to also-ran status.

Las Vegas currently has four QBs as their front runners:

Hurts +250
Jackson +350
Mahomes +400
Tagovailoa +500

The rest of the field trails significantly with betting odds as the measure.

The best odds on non-QB offensive players are Christian McCaffrey, Tyreek Hill, and AJ Brown. Defensively, Myles Garrett and Micah Parsons lead the way with, a bit surprisingly, DaRon Bland (he with 4 pick-six scores and counting) trailing well off the betting pace.

I fully realize this award has basically become a QB award of late but I wonder if this is the year we actually see it go to another position?

Who is you front-runner? Who, in your eyes, has made a case for being the league’s most valuable player thus far?

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I think Tyreek should be in the conversation, especially if he threatens 2,000 years receiving.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

MVP has become a QB award, and depending on who's list ya look at it's either Jackson, Hurts, Mahomes as the top vote getters.

OMVP seems to go to Tyreek Hill, already at 1300 yrds by a wide margin, same with Myles Garret for DMVP award, so either could jump above Jackson, he seems to be the top vote getter in a down QB season.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I heard some people suggest Myles Garrett has a shot at MVP. Doubtful, but would be interesting to see him seriously challenge it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
22 Nov 2023 08:25
I heard some people suggest Myles Garrett has a shot at MVP. Doubtful, but would be interesting to see him seriously challenge it.
Stroud and Carter a running away with OROY & DROY honors, Carter had 31 pressures after just 9 weeks, awesome for a DT

Garrett is who we hoped Gary would/could be, he'll have 80 total pressures at least to go with double digit sacks

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
22 Nov 2023 08:34
Garrett is who we hoped Gary would/could be, he'll have 80 total pressures at least to go with double digit sacks
Not really, Garrett was a #1 overall pick and lock to go Top-3. People expected way more from him than Gary.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I used to say the same about Jackson, but he's shut me up recently, but Hurts doesn't belong on the list. Take away his run game and AJ brown and people would likely be wondering if they need to draft a QB for the future because he's not it. He is not the one carrying that team, he's simply a cog and AJ is bigger piece for him than he is to the team.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I would go with Lamar. Especially if he can keep it up with Andrews going down and them having the plague at RB. Hes carrying that offense.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
22 Nov 2023 08:40
Yoop wrote:
22 Nov 2023 08:34
Not really, Garrett was a #1 overall pick and lock to go Top-3. People expected way more from him than Gary.
HOPED Gary could be, Gary had high pressure totals the year before his injury.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
22 Nov 2023 08:49
I used to say the same about Jackson, but he's shut me up recently, but Hurts doesn't belong on the list. Take away his run game and AJ brown and people would likely be wondering if they need to draft a QB for the future because he's not it. He is not the one carrying that team, he's simply a cog and AJ is bigger piece for him than he is to the team.
QB's get the praise for what is more dependent on others then any other position in the game, imho anyway.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Depending how the Texans finish, Stroud is going to get in this conversation. But I agree with Lupe, that I think Lamar is the front runner if things continue.
RIP JustJeff

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

musclestang wrote:
We have argued this a little bit before. I will say that I do give Jalen Hurts more credit than you. Don't love your take about taking away players. AJ Brown isn't Randy Moss. Jalen Hurts makes alot of Wow plays to me. He has turned the ball over too much this year, but the eagles do continue to win in many cases because of him not in spite.

Take away Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams and Aaron Rodgers was just a guy!!! I think not.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Jordan Love still +30000.

$10 bet could change your life :lol:

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

IMO, Mahomes is the MVP. He is the best QB and KC would probably be a .500 team without him. If the Packers had him we would probably be a 1 or 2 seed right now. Thats how I feel. The guy is ridiculously good. Record and QBR and his talent around him backs up my opinion I think.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

MY_TAKE wrote:
28 Nov 2023 16:12
musclestang wrote:
We have argued this a little bit before. I will say that I do give Jalen Hurts more credit than you. Don't love your take about taking away players. AJ Brown isn't Randy Moss. Jalen Hurts makes alot of Wow plays to me. He has turned the ball over too much this year, but the eagles do continue to win in many cases because of him not in spite.

Take away Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams and Aaron Rodgers was just a guy!!! I think not.
Rodgers was never just a guy. He threaded needles with anyone that could catch. Hurts throws it up and AJ always comes down with it. I see it every time I watch. I've seen Rodgers do things with his mind, eyes and arm that very few in the NFL have ever thought about doing let alone did consistently. I see Hurts do what at least 15 other QB's would do with that line, run game and AJ brown.

Hurts is not close to what Rodgers was in his prime. They don't even compare.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

musclestang wrote:
28 Nov 2023 16:29
MY_TAKE wrote:
28 Nov 2023 16:12
musclestang wrote:

Rodgers was never just a guy. He threaded needles with anyone that could catch. Hurts throws it up and AJ always comes down with it. I see it every time I watch. I've seen Rodgers do things with his mind, eyes and arm that very few in the NFL have ever thought about doing let alone did consistently. I see Hurts do what at least 15 other QB's would do with that line, run game and AJ brown.

Hurts is not close to what Rodgers was in his prime. They don't even compare.
I dont really think they compare but AJ Brown doesn't make Hurts IMO. Its more the other way around. I dont know if I consider AJ to even be top 5 right now. Hurts isnt the only QB with a great WR. I think thats the point I was trying to make. I thought that was clear.

QBR is a really good QB ranking stat IMO and Hurts is 6 right now. Thats pretty good by any standard

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Sure seems like AJ Brown made Ryan Tannehill at borderline MVP candidate. He’s been replaceable since.

Hurts was playing replaceable ball before Brown.

Without Brown, both QBs borderline starters. With Brown, MVP candidates and getting #1 seeds.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

BF004 wrote:
28 Nov 2023 16:52
Sure seems like AJ Brown made Ryan Tannehill at borderline MVP candidate. He’s been replaceable since.

Without Brown, both QBs borderline starters. With Brown, MVP candidates and getting #1 seeds.
Not saying that QBs don't benefit from having a great weapon at WR but I disagree with replaceable premise.

What happened to Rodgers QBR after ranking first with Davante and then 24th without the next year. I personally didnt think Rodgers was replaceable despite drop in production probably in part to WR talent. We can agree to disagree. I guess Justin Fields and Hurts are one in the same. :dunno:

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

BF004 wrote:
28 Nov 2023 16:52

Does it really seem that way??? Or maybe Corey Davis was putting up numbers comparable to Brown in Tennessee and Derick Henry was rumbling for 2000 yards + and THATs what helped Tannehill. I bet any QB would have loved to have played against the defenses Tannehill saw that year.

AJ Browns number are the ones that skyrocketed to me when he got to play with Hurts. If nothing else its definitely a two way street not a one way.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Presented without further comment or context.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (284.12 KiB) Viewed 568 times
RIP JustJeff