Do you agree?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Just like I said when we were in the throws of sucking, I'm just fine with the job Gutey has done all things considered.

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

IMO, Guty has done a good job of assembling a young roster. Will it be successful long term? TBD! What I really give him the most credit for is the draft capitol! He's continuously accumulated top 100 choices, seemingly, every draft. He seems to draft for positions of need more than 1 draft out.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Like I said with Love, when the time comes to crown Gutenbumst I'll do it. I have said the last two years hes had great drafts and hes really started to attack the teams weaknesses instead of just sitting on his hands and watching them struggle with the same position groups like the moron he was between 2020 and 2022.

Its way too early to say hes rebuilt a team with a current losing record beating two teams that are kind of in tailspin mode defensively.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

What sells me on Guty is that, like TT and Wolf before him, he does not give a hoot about what's popular. He goes all-in trying to do the best he can for the franchise. Sometimes he hits, sometimes he misses, but none of it is due to ego or doing the popular thing to try to keep his job.

His staff keeps finding way more great value finds, that it compensates for some misses.

If he hits on the 2024 draft, we'll be back on top for a while...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah Gute's long term success will be dependent on the 2021 and 2022 drafts. They have the chance to be amazing but it's still too early to tell.

As a rule, we are very forgiving on young players and then start being critical of performance in year 3.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I am a Gute proponent. My stance on him or any GM is retrospective, not dependent on the future. The question to me is: without more information (e.g. how the most recent draft picks will pan out), do I overall approve of how the GM has built the roster?

As it stands, yes, I overall approve of how he has built/been building this roster. Even the best teams have deficiencies here or there, but I like what he has done generally speaking.

One sign of that is the very few pressing needs I can think of for this coming FA/Draft. I mean if Walker keeps up his recent play at LT and Rhyan comes in and looks good at RG, we enter next season not urgently needing a starting-quality OL. What does that leave us with? Safety, Slot CB, and that's about it (and those only become pressing needs if Ford and/or Nixon walk); you can just go BPA or some variation of it with everything else.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

My take on Gute is that he’s done really well in some areas of the job, really poor in other areas, and that he needs to continue to improve his communication skills and how he deals with player relationships
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
28 Nov 2023 11:56
Yeah Gute's long term success will be dependent on the 2021 and 2022 drafts. They have the chance to be amazing but it's still too early to tell.

As a rule, we are very forgiving on young players and then start being critical of performance in year 3.
One other thing, as much as we all slam the 2020 draft. IF Jordan Love ends up being a true Franchise QB, then that changes my perspective on that draft a little bit, even though almost no other players stuck.

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

After reading most of the posts in this thread I have to agree. It is bit too early to “spike the ball” (YoHoChecko). We are obviously happy to see good progress in recent games. It is very encouraging and fun for us fans. So, in summary, we are looking for sustained performance at level we have seen in the recent few games. We are looking for consistency. Once achieved, we can really get excited about the team’s potential going forward. :)
GO PACK GO!!!

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Nobody will deny that this team seems to be ascending right now. One question I'd like to ask the author of this article is why it was so focused on comparing us to the Jets. Right now it does appear as though we made off better than the Jets but there are 30 other teams in the league. I want to be able to look back and say that BG was a success. But being better than a historically mediocre franchise is not going to put that warm fuzzy feeling in my gut, sorry to break it to you.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Papa John wrote:
29 Nov 2023 10:16
One question I'd like to ask the author of this article is why it was so focused on comparing us to the Jets.
That answer is obvious. Unfair, but obvious.

Read More. Post Less.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

NCF wrote:
29 Nov 2023 10:18
Papa John wrote:
One question I'd like to ask the author of this article is why it was so focused on comparing us to the Jets.
Yes, obviously I understand the connection but we're going to need to be better than more teams than the Jets in order to put a smile on my face.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Papa John wrote:
29 Nov 2023 10:20
NCF wrote:
29 Nov 2023 10:18
Papa John wrote:
Yes, obviously I understand the connection but we're going to need to be better than more teams than the Jets in order to put a smile on my face.
For sure. That's not for lazy writers that like to take the easy way out. The sad part is lazy readers gobble this crap up like candy.

For the record, I like Bill Huber, but this was a lazy article.

Read More. Post Less.