Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
29 Nov 2023 10:49
Madcity_matt wrote:
29 Nov 2023 09:44
I feel like there's no pleasing you, Yoop. I'm not sure how anyone would not expect there to be LOTS of opportunity for the youngest team in the league to improve. Also, that link lost me at the title. Clearly the writer is also immune to the fact that this is the youngest team in football. Not meeting expectations? The team lost their all-pro left tackle for the season week 1, my expectation after losing your best lineman and most veteran player in your most critical spot on the line on the youngest team in the league might cause some regression in the line. My expectation would be that AT BEST it was going to take some time to get the line sorted out again. Now that things are indeed improving, you're complaining about 5 weeks ago. The line has been playing together better, through injuries and is starting to look good and we want to $hit on them for how they looked over a month ago? But hey, on the bright side you didn't bring up receivers once in the thread so you got that going for you, which is nice.
for one thing I'am pleased with how the line has improved, and that link opened fine for me, and this line isn't full of rookies either, over all it ranks between 14th or 19th right now depending who ya read, and just because a pressure isn't recorded doesn't mean the block was that good, simply that it didn't produce a pressure.

why would I mention WR's? I try to comment about issues of concern at present or at least the present season, Our GM's finally did something to correct the WR position after 8 years of neglect.

any time a QB feels he has to move to avoid a rusher, imo it's a pressure, on the pass to Watson where Love has to move up to make that throw because the rusher was looping Walker, imo thats a pressure, I'am sure PFF didn't record that.

last year PFF graded Bakhtiari zero pressures in one game, yet I watched him beaten for one, point is no graders are perfect and that includes PFF.

Walker by the way is our worst run blocker, no way he's the answer for us at LT, unless he's improved.

I get so tired of people defending what to me has been a very inconsistent OL, it's never really been good at run blocking, our outside stretch runs owe credence to the blocking of Lewis, inside on short yardage runs we have seen our OL blown off the ball, lots of times.

my hope is that we hit OL hard in this coming draft.

and I also threw away the rose colored glasses back around 2016.
I think you just complicate things too much in your head and you don't know how to reconcile it because you will see a drilled down stat that puts the Packers OL in the top 5 and you are convinced they are bad so you go into fight mode.

You said yourself that the Packers Oline is in that 14th to 19th range which I think is very reasonable and it makes sense.

We are a 25th or lower run blocking unit and a 8th to 12th pass blocking unit which puts us in that 14th to 19th overall. I feel like I keep having to say this all time....this is what average looks like. You will see glimpses of great play (the last 3 - 4 games) and glimpses of really poor play (that 4 week stretch)

Going into 2024, we know we are set at LG and RT. We also know we have a LT who is All-Pro if healthy, a LT who is serviceable (average to slightly below average), a Center that is below average and a RG that needs replacement.

So our need is probably a LT draft pick (I would lean premium pick) and a G/C type player to compete for a starting role. The rest is just depth.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
29 Nov 2023 11:23
Yoop wrote:
29 Nov 2023 10:49
Madcity_matt wrote:
29 Nov 2023 09:44
I feel like there's no pleasing you, Yoop. I'm not sure how anyone would not expect there to be LOTS of opportunity for the youngest team in the league to improve. Also, that link lost me at the title. Clearly the writer is also immune to the fact that this is the youngest team in football. Not meeting expectations? The team lost their all-pro left tackle for the season week 1, my expectation after losing your best lineman and most veteran player in your most critical spot on the line on the youngest team in the league might cause some regression in the line. My expectation would be that AT BEST it was going to take some time to get the line sorted out again. Now that things are indeed improving, you're complaining about 5 weeks ago. The line has been playing together better, through injuries and is starting to look good and we want to $hit on them for how they looked over a month ago? But hey, on the bright side you didn't bring up receivers once in the thread so you got that going for you, which is nice.
for one thing I'am pleased with how the line has improved, and that link opened fine for me, and this line isn't full of rookies either, over all it ranks between 14th or 19th right now depending who ya read, and just because a pressure isn't recorded doesn't mean the block was that good, simply that it didn't produce a pressure.

why would I mention WR's? I try to comment about issues of concern at present or at least the present season, Our GM's finally did something to correct the WR position after 8 years of neglect.

any time a QB feels he has to move to avoid a rusher, imo it's a pressure, on the pass to Watson where Love has to move up to make that throw because the rusher was looping Walker, imo thats a pressure, I'am sure PFF didn't record that.

last year PFF graded Bakhtiari zero pressures in one game, yet I watched him beaten for one, point is no graders are perfect and that includes PFF.

Walker by the way is our worst run blocker, no way he's the answer for us at LT, unless he's improved.

I get so tired of people defending what to me has been a very inconsistent OL, it's never really been good at run blocking, our outside stretch runs owe credence to the blocking of Lewis, inside on short yardage runs we have seen our OL blown off the ball, lots of times.

my hope is that we hit OL hard in this coming draft.

and I also threw away the rose colored glasses back around 2016.
I think you just complicate things too much in your head and you don't know how to reconcile it because you will see a drilled down stat that puts the Packers OL in the top 5 and you are convinced they are bad so you go into fight mode.

You said yourself that the Packers Oline is in that 14th to 19th range which I think is very reasonable and it makes sense.

We are a 25th or lower run blocking unit and a 8th to 12th pass blocking unit which puts us in that 14th to 19th overall. I feel like I keep having to say this all time....this is what average looks like. You will see glimpses of great play (the last 3 - 4 games) and glimpses of really poor play (that 4 week stretch)

Going into 2024, we know we are set at LG and RT. We also know we have a LT who is All-Pro if healthy, a LT who is serviceable (average to slightly below average), a Center that is below average and a RG that needs replacement.

So our need is probably a LT draft pick (I would lean premium pick) and a G/C type player to compete for a starting role. The rest is just depth.
top 3 pass pro, that is such a deceiving stat, I could even find that from PFF.

I said the line play has improved, my angst mostly centered around how the pass rush affected Love, I also under stood why, the push back I got caused me to be defensive, I still don't get why anyone would be impressed with our tackles giving up 20 plus pressures, sure I'am glad it's better, it's helping our QB, but I'am not ready to throw a party over it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

PFF - 3rd by pass blocking grade
SIS - 4th in blown pass block percentage
ESPN - 2nd in pass block win rate
PFR - 12th in pressures given up (not exclusive to OL)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Nov 2023 11:56
I'm new at this but those rankings seem consistently above average....

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
29 Nov 2023 17:42
Pckfn23 wrote:
There is a pretty large gap from drilled stats to actual pressures. That is a bit strange to me.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I stand corrected, the 2 best pass pro offensive lines will square off on the Tundra on Sunday, :hail: whatever where doing has been working, just need to keep it up, maybe I need stronger glasses :hide:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Nov 2023 17:45
APB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
There is a pretty large gap from drilled stats to actual pressures. That is a bit strange to me.
Ya, not sure unless TEs, RBs, and Love himself are disproportionately accountable for pressures compared to other teams.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Nov 2023 18:18
go pak go wrote:
APB wrote:

Ya, not sure unless TEs, RBs, and Love himself are disproportionately accountable for pressures compared to other teams.
I can see our TEs being a liability. I don't think Love has been agregious with ball holding or poor pocket presence. I think our RBs have been okay - not great but okay.

So yeah I don't know.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Who does this guy think he is challenging the online expert…?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
29 Nov 2023 19:08
Pckfn23 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I can see our TEs being a liability. I don't think Love has been agregious with ball holding or poor pocket presence. I think our RBs have been okay - not great but okay.

So yeah I don't know.
Thank you for not bashing Jordan Love for LaCoach's inept preparation and coaching of #10.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
30 Nov 2023 08:08
go pak go wrote:
29 Nov 2023 19:08
Pckfn23 wrote:

So yeah I don't know.
Thank you for not bashing Jordan Love for LaCoach's inept preparation and coaching of #10.
LaCoach seems to be doing pretty well to me right now.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Lafleur has definitely stepped it up. He still has his blunders like not QB sneaking on inches to go. Overall I think hes done a much better job putting players in positions to succeed. That stretch against the Lions, Raiders, and Broncos was tough to watch, specifically the blocking schemes and how he didnt try to take away teams best pass rushers.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Nov 2023 09:05
Lafleur has definitely stepped it up. He still has his blunders like not QB sneaking on inches to go. Overall I think hes done a much better job putting players in positions to succeed. That stretch against the Lions, Raiders, and Broncos was tough to watch, specifically the blocking schemes and how he didnt try to take away teams best pass rushers.
The decision to not sneak it on 4th and inches was a deviation. Honestly we have snuck it all year and been successful.

I didn't hate not sneaking it because DET really crammed the middle, but I hated the alternative which was just hand it to AJ Dillon on an inside run. My money is far more on Love sneaking it rather than hoping AJ Dillon can plow through because history shows...he can't.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
30 Nov 2023 09:32
lupedafiasco wrote:
The decision to not sneak it on 4th and inches was a deviation. Honestly we have snuck it all year and been successful.

I didn't hate not sneaking it because DET really crammed the middle, but I hated the alternative which was just hand it to AJ Dillon on an inside run. My money is far more on Love sneaking it rather than hoping AJ Dillon can plow through because history shows...he can't.
We had it too if not for Dillon running the wrong direction to get the handoff...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Nov 2023 09:33
go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

We had it too if not for Dillon running the wrong direction to get the handoff...
I'm not as confident as you are on that. I think we had a shot at it though.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
bu bu but we have the 2nd best pass pro OL in the league

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
30 Nov 2023 09:56
lupedafiasco wrote:
Correct. That doesn't mean the run blocking isn't !@#$ poor.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
30 Nov 2023 09:41
Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Nov 2023 09:33
go pak go wrote:

I'm not as confident as you are on that. I think we had a shot at it though.
Gaping hole on the right side of the line. I would say I am 99%. I mean, he could have fell down or a meteor struck him in the head.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
30 Nov 2023 09:59
Yoop wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
Or that those 3 games weren't bad pass protection.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
30 Nov 2023 09:59
Yoop wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
I don't think the OL was good at either till the last few weeks, glad it's improved, it's to much to expect Love to adjust blocking the way Rodgers could, finally Lafleur and Stenavich seem to be more acute to it, and Love obviously is benefiting from there adjustment picking up Guy's like Hutchinson or other schemed up stunters. :idn:

run blocking seems to be a work in transition, with more gap blocking, we can use Rhyans bulk and power.
Myers has been improving, Jenkins too, hopefully the run blocking improves.